Hydaelyn Role-Players
Criminals and the Twelveswood - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Criminals and the Twelveswood (/showthread.php?tid=14009)

Criminals and the Twelveswood - Riven - 10-26-2015

I don't know very much on the lore of the Twelveswood, but I've gathered that the Elementals are pretty frickin strict on what goes down in their territory.  

I've done the quest where the Ala Mhingian couldn't be healed by the local conjuror due to the Elementals telling her 'no', and that gave me a thought.  Could a wanted criminal hide out in the Shroud, or would the Elementals be like 'oh hell no'

RE: Criminals and the Twelveswood - Hyakki - 10-26-2015

The Redbellies and Couerlclaws are criminals/poachers that hide out in the Black Shroud. I would assume that poaching is an activity the elementals disapprove of but they couldn't care less about criminal activity unless it harms the forest.

RE: Criminals and the Twelveswood - Riven - 10-26-2015

So basically as long as they are not harming the wood, a criminal could hide out in the Shroud?

RE: Criminals and the Twelveswood - -no longer matters- - 10-26-2015

(10-26-2015, 12:34 PM)Riven Wrote: So basically as long as they are not harming the wood, a criminal could hide out in the Shroud?
The Green Wrath is super fickle.. and really PiS based and only seems to work when it's convenient.

RE: Criminals and the Twelveswood - Unnamed Mercenary - 10-26-2015

It basically comes down to Woodsin and Greenwrath. (There are some excellent Sounsyy posts where she's linked the appropriate lore. I can't do an in-depth search while at work though).

For a quick tldr type of explanation, as long as what the person's doing isn't damaging the forest, the Elementals aren't going to really bother with the person. HOWEVER, Elementals are fickle, powerful, creatures. They don't communicate with a spoken language and the game tries to make it very clear that the way an Elemental comprehends something is very different than the races of man.

Spilling some blood in their forest -could- upset them. Uprooting a sprouting tree might make them more upset. Anything void-related tends to go pretty badly. Killing the wildlife has mixed reactions.

People were allowed to live in the forest to the Treaty of Gelmorra, which is why Gridanians take Woodsin so seriously. Accumulate enough Woodsin and well, Greenwrath happens and the forest tries to solve the problem with death. (Think of actions of Greenwrath as like an immune system. Woodsin shows where the sickness is).

RE: Criminals and the Twelveswood - Kellach Woods - 10-26-2015

It's also fairly shifty for the races that didn't sign the treaty.

I'd also be willing to bet that the Elementals aren't a singular entity and we'll find out some have opposite goals. (speculation - do not mind)

RE: Criminals and the Twelveswood - LiadansWhisper - 10-26-2015

(10-26-2015, 12:01 AM)Riven Wrote: I don't know very much on the lore of the Twelveswood, but I've gathered that the Elementals are pretty frickin strict on what goes down in their territory.  

I've done the quest where the Ala Mhingian couldn't be healed by the local conjuror due to the Elementals telling her 'no', and that gave me a thought.  Could a wanted criminal hide out in the Shroud, or would the Elementals be like 'oh hell no'

Something else to keep in mind is that there's history between Ala Mhigo and Gridania that may have played into that Conjurer's decision not to heal the Ala Mhigan.  Namely, Ala Mhigo almost succeeded in conquering Gridania about 80 years before the Calamity, and it was only due to the intervention of Ishgard itself that Gridania was saved.  There is a lot of prejudice against Ala Mhigans precisely because of their previous tendency to try to conquer everyone.

So yeah, the Elementals might very well have said, "No, don't heal this guy," but we don't know why.  And...they might not have.  If you're not a Hearer, you don't actually know what the Elementals said.  Smile

RE: Criminals and the Twelveswood - Sounsyy - 10-26-2015

(10-26-2015, 12:01 AM)Riven Wrote: I don't know very much on the lore of the Twelveswood, but I've gathered that the Elementals are pretty frickin strict on what goes down in their territory.  

This thread on Woodsin should help answer some of your questions! Particularly, post #11, as it pertains to how immigrants to Gridania are judged by the elementals before they can stay, as well as some of the criminal factions present in the Twelveswood.

In short, there are many criminals present in the Black Shroud. From poachers, to bandits, to murders, to Duskwights. For the most part, the elementals don't seem to care if you're a heinous criminal - just as long as what you're doing isn't harming the Wood. We've got examples of bandits aplenty from the Redbellies to the Coeurlclaws to Ailbert the Lost to the Mujuuk's and more. While the Wood Wailers and Gods Quiver attempt to deal with these criminal elements, they don't really seem to bother the elementals very much.