Hydaelyn Role-Players
New to RP, looking for tips! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: New to RP, looking for tips! (/showthread.php?tid=14015)

New to RP, looking for tips! - Refia Leonhart - 10-26-2015

Hello! I've recently joined the Balmung server from Coeurl and am tentatively stepping into RP.

Before I really get started, are there any tips, or things to look out for? I'm a bit nervous to start RPing, and I have a fear of doing it "wrong", so to speak.

For those of you that are more experienced, how did you get started?

Thank you in advance!

-Refia

RE: New to RP, looking for tips! - Magellan - 10-26-2015

Find a mentor. You can reach out to me if you like (Alexa Rose, on most nights EST) and I'll certainly share my experiences oocly with you and try to answer any questions you may have, and hey... maybe we could even rp! Big Grin

Or, you could sit in the Quicksand and simply observe. Watch people's nuances, how they handle dialogue and conversation, and action and emoting and even snogging  (it is the Quicksand after all). 

There are also several helpful guides on this site that are stickied and thus easy to find.

You can also contact me on here using personal message if you wosh. Whatever you choose, good luck, take a deep breath, and just have fun!

RE: New to RP, looking for tips! - Eddard - 10-26-2015

Imma plop this really useful thing here for you. It's a daunting post but don't let that deter you. You could have some questions you might have answered by just skimming through or picking a specific question that catches your eye.

A good way to learn is through observation, as Magellan suggested. The Quicksand is a good way to passively do this but RPing with good RPers will also help you along the way. A lot of people, myself included, somewhat credit their progress in RP skill to being around people that set a good example. 

I'm Eddard Holt in game, if you have any questions or would just like to RP. Welcome to the server and its community! I'm sure you'll have a lovely time!

RE: New to RP, looking for tips! - SicketySix - 10-26-2015

(10-26-2015, 12:11 PM)Eddard Wrote: Imma plop this really useful thing here for you. It's a daunting post but don't let that deter you. You could have some questions you might have answered by just skimming through or picking a specific question that catches your eye.

A good way to learn is through observation, as Magellan suggested. The Quicksand is a good way to passively do this but RPing with good RPers will also help you along the way. A lot of people, myself included, somewhat credit their progress in RP skill to being around people that set a good example. 

I'm Eddard Holt in game, if you have any questions or would just like to RP. Welcome to the server and its community! I'm sure you'll have a lovely time!

I'm also in the same Free Company as Eddard so feel free to give both of us a shout!
I consider myself fairly new to RP as well with probably less then 6 months total RP experience. So look me up and we can both suck at rping together!Thumbsup

RE: New to RP, looking for tips! - Unnamed Mercenary - 10-26-2015

Hiya, welcome to the big [sometimes scary] world of RPing inside an MMO.

You'll find that the cities and little towns around usually have some people in them for Open-World/Walk-up RP. Ul'dah has the highest concentration, from my experiences/play time.

A couple things I've found useful is to listen in on conversations around the public areas. If you're unsure whether or not the person is interested in walk-up RP, many people try to mention their stance on it in their search info. Or if all else fails, you can also send them a /tell if you're more social than I am.

Sometimes, there's a RP hook left open for new people to join in, or maybe something your character might react to. Most of the people on the server are pretty friendly towards RPers. Perhaps as a word of caution, the Quicksand is host to a number of quests and idle players (and maybe the occasional ERPer using /tell or /party). It can also have a very fast chat log at times, so if you have a spare chat tab, I'd recommend one filtered just for /say and /emote (add in /yell and /shout as needed. Some people use these while IC!)

There's a wealth of information on the RPC, and if you need any help trying to find something, of if you're unsure where a thread should go, need help with a wiki page, etc, don't hesitate to ask!

RE: New to RP, looking for tips! - SicketySix - 10-26-2015

Also, be on the lookout for solo emoters.

These are usually people looking for RP but either being to shy to initiate any themselves, or perhaps just arrived and looking for rp. Ususally if you walk up to one, they are more then happy to RP with you.

RE: New to RP, looking for tips! - Coda - 10-26-2015

I'm rather inexperienced with ingame RP as well, but I've RPing on forums for about 9 or 10 years. The RP itself is the easy part, I find-- you just write as best you can without stepping on anyone's toes or controlling anyone else's actions. Its all the stuff you need to do to get the RP which is the hard part. RP requires multiple people and predictably, everyone is in different timezones wanting different things. Some are just fine with fun, casual interactions. Others want to tell dramatic, sweeping stories that aren't just amusing, but riveting. Like I said, everyone's going to want different things; its all a bunch of give and take.

In any case, I've rarely seen anyone who is just so bad at RP that it ever became a disruptive problem that couldn't be fixed. It never hurts to be polite and considerate both IC and OOC and if you're ever not sure whether or not something you want to try is okay or not, simply ask! For example, my character is a street thief, and she will always try to take something from people she meets. Not everyone is alright with that, so a quick /t message asking if its okay solves the problem of possibly hurting someone else's experience. Hell, I'm hoping one day someone will let her nab something important or perhaps establish some conflict with other PCs.

Anyway, feel free to give me a shout ingame; character's name is Wander Atwood.

RE: New to RP, looking for tips! - Hunfrid - 10-26-2015

When you feel comfy starting up your first RP experience, keep a few things in mind.
Don't God-mode. If you can't pull a sword out of your rectum, throw off whomever is holding you in a wrestle hold and swing said sword in RL, your character shouldn't be able to. (Of course, in a fantasy world, some things can be stretched.)
Don't emote what others will do/react. This is considered rude. Emote what your and only your character is doing/behaving.
I don't know if it annoys others, but I find several one-sentence posts annoying to the point of just logging out and back in on an alt. If a one-liner is acceptable, that's a different story. Please keep your number of posts to a minimum. If you can't think of anything to post, keep it short and simple, you'll get better in time.

I am totally open to helping you get into the swing of RP.
If you want to RP with me, I'm always up for it.
My characters and online time are posted below, in my signature.

RE: New to RP, looking for tips! - Refia Leonhart - 10-28-2015

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate the tips Moogle

For those that offered, I'll be sure to look you up in-game! 

Thank you again for the helpful hints, I am excited to join the world of RP Big Grin

RE: New to RP, looking for tips! - SicketySix - 10-28-2015

(10-28-2015, 11:09 AM)Refia Leonhart Wrote: Thank you all so much! I really appreciate the tips Moogle

For those that offered, I'll be sure to look you up in-game! 

Thank you again for the helpful hints, I am excited to join the world of RP Big Grin

Well welcome to the RP world!