Hydaelyn Role-Players
Creepy Keepers? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Creepy Keepers? (/showthread.php?tid=14016)

Creepy Keepers? - Mia Moui - 10-26-2015

I woke up at the crack of dawn to go out and view a conjunction of Venus, Mars, and Jupiter.  It occurred to me, as bleary as I was, that were I Mia Moui, I'd be wide awake and several bells from sleep.  As near as I could tell, almost everyone in my neighborhood was still sleeping.

In the real world, we have the conceit that most everyone is sleeping at night and can maybe sleep a little more soundly.  I've heard that crime plummets between 2am and 6am.  But in Eorzea, especially in Gridania, there's a race of people who naturally stay up, who are active at night, and potentially nefarious, the Keeper of the Moon Miqo'te.

Does their activity bother people trying to sleep?  I'm thinking of a Keeper using leaf blower at 4 in the morning.  Are people suspicious of them simply because they are awake while everyone else is trying to sleep?  Or do they keep so isolated that this isn't that much of a problem?

RE: Creepy Keepers? - Unnamed Mercenary - 10-26-2015

Half-joking, but I've love to see technology in Eorzea showing that a leaf-blower even exists.

But if we're going on what the game's given us, yes, the Keepers of the Moon are likely predispositioned to be nocturnal. But that begs the question. Is that animal bleating in the night making noise because it's being hunted, or are the animals just making noise in the night?

According to the racial lore, Miqo'te are supposed to be on the rarer side of the races, so one could imagine that while yes, there are a bunch of clans of Moon Keepers in the Black Shroud, they likely keep to themselves and likely tend not to garner unwanted attention. We see in the Archer quests what happens to poachers going against the rules.

It's also probably wise to note that if hunting wild animals, a group of people not welcome near a guarded city will probably hunt elsewhere, like the quieter, more-secluded parts of the forest.

RE: Creepy Keepers? - Magellan - 10-26-2015

My Keeper generally prefers to prowl around at night, but keeps mostly to herself.

The rapidity of the day/night cycle makes it a little hard to affix events to a certain time of day, and I've never seen anything like a typical bedtime enforced icly in game, though certainly it would be cool if that were somehow possible. In short, it's hard to rp someone who's out and about when everyone's asleep because it turns day so quickly and others aren't pretending to be asleep.

But to answer your question, I'm of the impression most Keepers stick to themselves or small groups, doing their business quietly. Though if they were a thief, their natural sleep cycle would certainly favor them trying to rob houses at night, or mugging people in dark alleys.

RE: Creepy Keepers? - Aya - 10-26-2015

Keepers of the Moon ARE one of the terrors of the Shroud at night. One imagines that those who settle in Gridania proper most likely adapt themselves to a diurnal schedule for the sake of being able to conduct business.

Quote:The rapidity of the day/night cycle makes it a little hard to affix events to a certain time of day, and I've never seen anything like a typical bedtime enforced icly in game, though certainly it would be cool if that were somehow possible. In short, it's hard to rp someone who's out and about when everyone's asleep because it turns day so quickly and others aren't pretending to be asleep.
You can't really RP by the time of day in game (or else conversations and outings would have to be RPed lasting days at a time). That does not mean you cannot RP time-of-day, merely that it is independent of what the game is telling you.

RE: Creepy Keepers? - Mia Moui - 10-26-2015

I usually presume that if Mia Moui is out in the daytime she is up "really late" for her. We sleep at night but most of us don't go to bed just after the sunset.  I would presume that Keepers don't go to bed just after sunrise.
I do try to time the day/night for IC screencaps so that it is nighttime.  But I can use a filter if I do something interesting in the daytime.

RE: Creepy Keepers? - Mia Moui - 10-26-2015

(10-26-2015, 01:53 PM)Aya Wrote: Keepers of the Moon ARE one of the terrors of the Shroud at night. One imagines that those who settle in Gridania proper most likely adapt themselves to a diurnal schedule for the sake of being able to conduct business.

I had a thought about this.  Maybe one of the reasons why there are so few Keeper NPCs is precisely because it's so difficult to adapt to daytime life.  This could make them unreliable employees.  It's not impossible to adapt, of course, but I think it'd be a struggle - like it is in real life.

I think conducting business might be a problem for Keepers.  If the banks, shops, merchants, and whatever else do not open until say, 9 bells, That's getting into the time where Keepers might be thinking of going to bed.  Bad time to make deals, I think.

RE: Creepy Keepers? - SicketySix - 10-26-2015

I think there would probably be a bit of discrimination because of their waking hours. I too, would be suspicious if their was a group of people who only came out at night.

The problem is giving how short the nighttime cycle actually is, I don't think I've ever seen a Keeper invest into that part of their lore.

Which I totally get.

RE: Creepy Keepers? - Magellan - 10-26-2015

(10-26-2015, 01:53 PM)Aya Wrote:
Quote:.
You can't really RP by the time of day in game (or else conversations and outings would have to be RPed lasting days at a time).  That does not mean you cannot RP time-of-day, merely that it is independent of what the game is telling you.
of course. And it is something I have often done with the people im rping with Smile

But if you want to say, rp that you are going on a nighttime stroll when the rest of the world is asleep, you're likely to end up passing rpers out and about who are pretending it's 3 in the afternoon, while you're trying to pretend it's 1 in the morning. It just makes it harder to play a night prowler in the larger scope of the overall community, though it's quite possible to do in small groups.

RE: Creepy Keepers? - Manari - 10-26-2015

One of the reasons I chose Keeper of the Moon way back in 1.0 was because one of the only things we knew about them was that they were nocturnal, and I could only play pretty late at night usually.

My RP linkshell back in 1.0 would just used EST as the time of day it was in-game as well. And I would always RP Manari as being sleepy and just having woken up when I logged on at night. It always worked really well and I've really enjoyed her being a night owl ever since. Manari just assumes all her Moon-sisters would be the same way and always finds it very odd when she meets a Keeper that isn't nocturnal. I have made her being nocturnal a fun and important part of her character, and I could never go back now.

RE: Creepy Keepers? - Blue - 10-27-2015

I RP Jet'a almost on an exclusively nocturnal schedule IC. A few times he has been forced to intervene during the day, and in those instances he always has worn sunglasses, as I RP his eyes to be very sensitive to the light of day. A creepy nocturnal wizard if there ever was one! He has also been called "shady" by others on more than one occasion, and the kids at the orphanage he lives/works at like to call him "the monster in the basement", as that is where his lab is kept. Sooo waiting for the Housing Indoor Lighting feature to make his lair EVEN more creepy![/align]