Hydaelyn Role-Players
Supergirl pilot wasn't awful - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Supergirl pilot wasn't awful (/showthread.php?tid=14028)

Pages: 1 2 3

Supergirl pilot wasn't awful - V'aleera - 10-27-2015

It wasn't great either. Tons of exposition and a lot of really hamfisted feminist messages. I'm all for sending strong messages in media, but this was done with the subtlety of a brick to the face.

On the bright side, the show has a solid cast and a decent premise to move forward with. If I still judged a series based on its first episodes rather than its first season I'd be pessimistic, but Agents of SHIELD taught me not to do that anymore.

RE: Supergirl pilot wasn't awful - Lydia Lightfoot - 10-27-2015

Hamfisted feminist messages. Supergirl. Character in-series is 24 years old according to IMDB.

Cough.

RE: Supergirl pilot wasn't awful - SicketySix - 10-27-2015

Anything that trys to send me a strong message thru any kind of media gets ignored. So thanks for the headsup!Thumbsup

RE: Supergirl pilot wasn't awful - V'aleera - 10-27-2015

(10-27-2015, 08:47 AM)SicketySix Wrote: Anything that trys to send me a strong message thru any kind of media gets ignored.

The fact that you are on the internet contradicts this.

RE: Supergirl pilot wasn't awful - Volk - 10-27-2015

(10-27-2015, 05:58 PM)Valeera Wrote:
(10-27-2015, 08:47 AM)SicketySix Wrote: Anything that trys to send me a strong message thru any kind of media gets ignored.

Heeh. I had a marketing professor in college that said once that ppl who say that persuasion through media holds no power over them are typically the ones who are persuaded the most because they feel that the choices they have been subtly guided to are their own Evil

RE: Supergirl pilot wasn't awful - -no longer matters- - 10-27-2015

The problem with it was they tried to cram sooooooo much into 48 minutes.

Now the bright side to that, that's a lot of crap we don't have to deal with going forward. Big Grin

Also I still think Agents of Shield is horrible.... I have no idea why I still watch it.. I guess I keep hoping it will stop being horrible and Chloe Bennet will learn how to act or show some range or leave.. 

and when Fitz and Simmons die horrible deaths I want to make sure I don't miss it I guess...

RE: Supergirl pilot wasn't awful - Edgar - 10-27-2015

(10-27-2015, 05:58 PM)V Wrote:

Could've sworn he had a block button and the ability to just not visit websites or peruse comment sections/threads that offend him, but no, you're right.

Using the internet automatically contradicts that statement.

RE: Supergirl pilot wasn't awful - ProvaDiServo - 10-27-2015

(10-27-2015, 06:17 PM)Gwen - Dinah Wrote: The problem with it was they tried to cram sooooooo much into 48 minutes.

Now the bright side to that, that's a lot of crap we don't have to deal with going forward. Big Grin

Also I still think Agents of Shield is horrible.... I have no idea why I still watch it.. I guess I keep hoping it will stop being horrible and Chloe Bennet will learn how to act or show some range or leave.. 

and when Fitz and Simmons die horrible deaths I want to make sure I don't miss it I guess...
Definitely would watch Agents over supergirl.

Seriously aint anything better than that right now.

(10-27-2015, 06:24 PM)Edgar Wrote:
(10-27-2015, 05:58 PM)V Wrote:

Could've sworn he had a block button and the ability to just not visit websites or peruse comment sections/threads that offend him, but no, you're right.

I know right, I'm just another sheepleSad

RE: Supergirl pilot wasn't awful - -no longer matters- - 10-27-2015

(10-27-2015, 06:37 PM)ProvaDiServo Wrote:
(10-27-2015, 06:17 PM)Gwen - Dinah Wrote: The problem with it was they tried to cram sooooooo much into 48 minutes.

Definitely would watch Agents over supergirl.

Seriously aint anything better than that right now.
We'll have to agree to disagree there.

(10-27-2015, 06:10 PM)Edelweiss Wrote:

Heeh. I had a marketing professor in college that said once that ppl who say that persuasion through media holds no power over them are typically the ones who are persuaded the most because they feel that the choices they have been subtly guided to are their own Evil

Straight white American gun loving Republican who will vote for Donald Trump.

How else may I prove you wrong today?Smile

EDIT: Back on topic, not really a fan of super hero movies or TV shows so don't really have an opinion with the agents/supergirl argument.

My scope on super heroes as only as wide as Iron Man.

RE: Supergirl pilot wasn't awful - V'aleera - 10-27-2015

(10-27-2015, 06:24 PM)Edgar Wrote: Could've sworn he had a block button and the ability to just not visit websites or peruse comment sections/threads that offend him, but no, you're right.

I'm just saying, if you view any media anywhere (including the internet) you are receiving a message that has likely been influenced (if not created) by private, often commercial, interests.

These are my thoughts exactly. Pilots inevitably come with a whole host of issues related to starting an entirely new series.

As far as other shows are concerned, I'd have to say Flash is my current favorite. Daredevil was really good too though, and I'm really looking forward to Jessica Jones.

RE: Supergirl pilot wasn't awful - Val - 10-27-2015

tbh almost all of the hero-based shows going on right now are terrible.

I need to change what I previously said, I've watches Arrow as well, thought it was pretty good but eventually got bored. I have thought about watching Flash because isn't that the same boy that was in Arrow?

RE: Supergirl pilot wasn't awful - Volk - 10-27-2015

(10-27-2015, 06:55 PM)SicketySix Wrote:
(10-27-2015, 06:10 PM)Edelweiss Wrote:

Straight white American gun loving Republican who will vote for Donald Trump.

How else may I prove you wrong today?Smile

[...]

Did not mean to offend. Like I said, it was what a professor in college lectured on once - not an opinion i conjured up myself just to contradict you. Still, I'm not certain how claiming any of those things can be used as empirical evidence that you are impervious to media suggestion.