Hydaelyn Role-Players
Help me make this not so boring - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Help me make this not so boring (/showthread.php?tid=14033)

Help me make this not so boring - Kawaiimalz - 10-27-2015

For my first proper RP character I have a Highlander Pugulist... Who's story is currently non-existent save for a few scraps of ideas. Otherwise, I have this:
  • Frequents Taverns
  • Mercenary
  • Likes fights for fun, not so much to kill. Usually drinks with people he fights with.
  • Smart-assed, constantly popping jokes.
  • Comedic Relief Perv, doesn't think before he speaks or acts at times.
The things I am thinking about doing are:
  • Half-Roe Maybe? I know this is sceptical by most.
  • Wanted bandit who tossed his identity away to live a normal life?
  • A unique illness that hasn't been permenantly cured, only treated by medicine?
Thats about all I have for now. Thoughts? Ideas?

RE: Help me make this not so boring - Swygynwyzn - 10-27-2015

I like the thief but hidden identity. And the illness can also be fun Swyg for a long time couldnt spellcast. So both are good choices

RE: Help me make this not so boring - Diskwrite - 10-27-2015

You could do all three of those things if you wanted. I think it'd be neat.

If you're looking to spice things up, I'd start thinking about where he comes from. Who his family was. What ideology and values he'd be raised with. How he responded to that and how it shaped him.

Those are some of the biggest things I start thinking about after I establish a base for a new character. You can have a character with a relatively boring background, but the way you play them is notable simply because of how they approach/think about the world.

RE: Help me make this not so boring - Virella - 10-27-2015

(10-27-2015, 02:32 PM)Kawaiimalz Wrote: For my first proper RP character I have a Highlander Pugulist... Who's story is currently non-existent save for a few scraps of ideas. Otherwise, I have this:
  • Frequents Taverns
  • Mercenary
  • Likes fights for fun, not so much to kill. Usually drinks with people he fights with.
  • Smart-assed, constantly popping jokes.
  • Comedic Relief Perv, doesn't think before he speaks or acts at times.
The things I am thinking about doing are:
  • Half-Roe Maybe? I know this is sceptical by most.
  • Wanted bandit who tossed his identity away to live a normal life?
  • A unique illness that hasn't been permenantly cured, only treated by medicine?
Thats about all I have for now. Thoughts? Ideas?
There's no need to give them odd quirks to make them interesting, I think you got a solid concept to roll with! Perhaps you could roll him to be a Monk as well? However you sort of need to be 40+ to be trained in Ala Mhigo, else you would had been a student of a lost Monk, a thing a lot of people roll with if they do not want to be old highlander trash (honestly, we could use some more old highlander trash, but everyone wants to be a dashing 20 year old! Can't blame em tho, my elezen is only 29 herself). But being a pugilist is completely valid as well!

RE: Help me make this not so boring - Warren Castille - 10-27-2015

Half-breeds are challenging to showcase in game because it is very much a "Tell, don't show" circumstance. The character creator doesn't let you meld features or racial traits, so it might be difficult to get traction with that. It doesn't mean not to do it, but it's only fair to warn you of the challenges in store with that route.

Treated-but-not-cured disease is pretty feasible; There's guild presence by the Alchemists but medicine is expensive! If your character is working at the street level, he might not be able to pay for a longterm solution and so gets by with various other concoctions to keep himself alive.

Playing a wanted criminal is certainly in line with Ul'dah's atmosphere, but it might catch you the wrong kind of attention from various do-gooder roleplayers. You could put a little bit of a twist on it and still have the same turnaround, though: Maybe your criminal history got taken off of the books for helping a few less-than-legitimate Brass Blades with some criminal operation. Your character wants out of the Life so to speak but he's got to be careful about turning away from the corrupt lawmen who could just as easily trump charges against him, leading him to work to do good but also afraid of being blackmailed.

Just riffing on the idea, you know?

If you wanted to look into Pugilism-as-an-actual-class, you could definitely be trained under the guild ICly. If you wanted to harken back a bit more to allude to your shady background, you could also have been a part of the pugilist's guild dating to before the Calamity; The Silver Mirage kept and trained a staff of fingerbreakers to make sure people paid their debts and didn't skip out of town before paying what they owed. Things have changed in the intervening years, but it could work to help "establish" your character and their connections.

OF COURSE, IF YOU JUST WANTED TO THROW HANDS WITH PEOPLE, YOU COULD ALWAYS COME BY THE GRINDSTONE ON SATURDAY NIGHTS. I'VE HEARD PEOPLE FIGHT THERE SOMETIMES.

RE: Help me make this not so boring - Hammersmith - 10-27-2015

Step backwards from what you want.

Why does the char have an illness?  Family? Inherited? Curse? Poison? War Wound?
Where did that cause come from.  How does that make them feel? Chronic illnesses are ugly things that take a lot of effort to control and deal with.  

Why does the char's joy de vivre lead them to fighting and carousing in bars?  Background? Upbringing? Friends indoctrinated them to it?  
Why is he happy there instead of -angry and looking for a fight- with a chip on their shoulder?

How'd they get into Mercing?  Apprenticed to a company? Sold into debt slavery to fight off the debt and just kept at it?  Guild Recruit? 
Do they like fighting? Is it just a job? Are they annoyed that it's all they know how to do? Are they trying to get a secondary profession to transition out of professional soldiering?

RE: Help me make this not so boring - Kawaiimalz - 10-27-2015

@Swygynwyzn : Maybe not a thief, but definitely an outlaw of sorts. Just unsure what form of illness I want for him. Something that will effect plot of course.

@Diskwrite : The issue with that is I know very little about the region and such to actually put down something that isn't half-assed garbage. I don't really know what regions would be suitable about pulling that off, or Highlander ideologies etc.

@Virella : Mine is actually in his early 30s. I may do monk later on but for now he's just a bandit gone right as he hit a more stern adulthood Smile

@Warren Castille : I learned that the hard way. For now I've just made his skin as light as I can and tried to copy the facial look of a Roe to his own. Naming him is the hard part since a Crossbreed name... I wouldn't know if I should do the Hume name style or the Roe namestyle... Maybe a mix of both?

As for the medicine, I was thinking thats why he is a mercenary, to afford the medicine he needs and a living wage. I'm still unsure what diesease I'm going for. I'm thinking something like an inborne illness that makes him cough blood and get severely weak when he is over-excerted and doesn't take his medicine.

For the history, I'm thinking that when he was a bandit he always wore a very identifying garb and mask so when he took it off... People weren't as able to tell it was him. Something I'm still brainstorming.

I don't know a thing about pre-calamity to post-calamity :'D

@Hammersmith : Of what I didn't already answer above, I think his love of random fighting will come from a mix of his previous lifestyle where he did have to fight to get by, as well as a way to feel like his illness doesn't define what he is capable of. Also, your signature makes me think batman beyond and now I wanna watch batman.

RE: Help me make this not so boring - Hammersmith - 10-27-2015

(10-27-2015, 03:03 PM)Kawaiimalz Wrote:
@Swygynwyzn : Maybe not a thief, but definitely an outlaw of sorts. Just unsure what form of illness I want for him. Something that will effect plot of course.

@Diskwrite : The issue with that is I know very little about the region and such to actually put down something that isn't half-assed garbage. I don't really know what regions would be suitable about pulling that off, or Highlander ideologies etc.

@Virella : Mine is actually in his early 30s. I may do monk later on but for now he's just a bandit gone right as he hit a more stern adulthood Smile

@Warren Castille : I learned that the hard way. For now I've just made his skin as light as I can and tried to copy the facial look of a Roe to his own. Naming him is the hard part since a Crossbreed name... I wouldn't know if I should do the Hume name style or the Roe namestyle... Maybe a mix of both?

As for the medicine, I was thinking thats why he is a mercenary, to afford the medicine he needs and a living wage. I'm still unsure what diesease I'm going for. I'm thinking something like an inborne illness that makes him cough blood and get severely weak when he is over-excerted and doesn't take his medicine.

For the history, I'm thinking that when he was a bandit he always wore a very identifying garb and mask so when he took it off... People weren't as able to tell it was him. Something I'm still brainstorming.

I don't know a thing about pre-calamity to post-calamity :'D

@Hammersmith : Of what I didn't already answer above, I think his love of random fighting will come from a mix of his previous lifestyle where he did have to fight to get by, as well as a way to feel like his illness doesn't define what he is capable of. Also, your signature makes me think batman beyond and now I wanna watch batman.
It's from 
[youtube]aDaOgu2CQtI[/youtube]

Which was animated by Bruce Timm, who was responsible for Batman the Animated Series and the char designs that lead to Batman Beyond, yes.

RE: Help me make this not so boring - Kawaiimalz - 10-27-2015

Pure luck on my part but now I'm watching Batman Beyond while working on my character