Hydaelyn Role-Players
Hello, I'm Kaspian! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hello, I'm Kaspian! (/showthread.php?tid=1404)

Hello, I'm Kaspian! - Kaspian - 09-09-2012

Hi guys!

New player here.

Problem I'm having is all the "beginner" or "new player" guides online are all REALLY out of date due to all the changes so I'm really lost.

I have a few questions which I hope you can help me with!!!

1. When do Guildleves reset?

2. I logged on and had 8, my partner logged on and had 10 slots. How does this work?

3. When out of leves, what should we do?

4. How do we get gear? Im used to looting gear but all I'm getting is fire shards and suchlike.

Thanks for your help Big Grin

Re: Hello, I'm Kaspian! - Gerik - 09-09-2012

Hiiiiii~

1. 4 every 12 hours, so 8 a day.

2. Slots?

3. I'd probably join a leveling party

4. I buy it from the Market Wards, but sometimes it's kind of expensive.

Re: Hello, I'm Kaspian! - Aysun - 09-09-2012

Hello and welcome! I know you're a new player, do you RP as well? If so, look in to getting the out of character link pearl called Backstage. Just /tell any of us in game and we will get you hooked up. Smile It's a good way to find RP!

Getting started is always tough, but we're here to help you through it!

Gerik answered most things but here's my two cents too:

2. By slots I think they mean accumulated leves. When you don't do your leves every day (about 8 per day as Gerik said) they'll accumulate up to 99 (which is usually where I sit at, though I'm in the 50s at the moment from grinding Miner leves!). Likely the reason for the discrepancy between you and your partner was that they started the game slightly before you did.

3. Oh, there's a lot to do! If you feel like leveling your DoM/DoW (that's magic and melee battle classes) you can use the Search function to seek a party. Ul'dah is currently the most common place for people to shout for assistance on quests/raids and experience/leveling, so hanging out there can help you find people to party with (or shouting and forming a party yourself!)

Quests! NPC's will appear with an ! over their head (also appears on the minimap) when they have a sidequest available to you. There is a main scenario line that follows the Echo story (Hear, Feel, Think--will be continued/restarted after A Realm Reborn launches), a Grand Company storyline which follows the Dalamud/Garlean empire threat (this is ending soon!), class quests (every class including DoM-magic/DoW-war/DoH-crafters/DoL-gatherers has a questline that becomes available at certain levels), job quests (unlocking jobs, abilities, and artifact armor for JOBs such as White mage, Monk, Paladin, become available when you are level 30 of a main class and level 15 of a sub class), and assorted side quests that appear at different levels with the NPCs around Eorzea. If you ever accept a quest and don't know what to do, check your Journal. There's often a description and a map (lower left corner) to show you were to go next!

Explore!~ There's a lot of Eorzea that you won't be able to see after A Realm Reborn launches! Enjoy the scenery, find the hidden caves, start working to get into dungeons. Shposhae is a non-instanced dungeon that provides a challenge and fun gear for level 15s. The lowest instanced raid is level 25 and is called Toto-rak. Higher instanced raids for level 50s are Darkhold, Aurum Vale, Cutters Cry, and Castrum Novum. They're used in quests, missions, relic weapons, and getting rare gear. There's also Skirmish, an NM-fight island with weapon rewards, and primal fights (Garuda, Ifirt, Moogle) that you will see people shout for that also give weapon awards.

Achievements- there are a lot of achievements available to try to complete. Some won't be available anymore after A Realm Reborn (or will be replaced). Especially the exploration aetheryte/behest/levelquest achievements. Try to get to every aether point sometime! It's good fun. Smile

Take up a trade!- Gatherers find items out in Eorzea at points using specific tools (weathered tools are sold by an NPC in the middle of the Fieldcraft ward) and crafters make the gear from these materials! It's great to feel self-sufficient. Crafting and gathering take a lot more work, in a sense that it takes more time to level, but they are very rewarding and can be a good source of gil!

RP!- this is a hub for RPers on Balmung. We like to RP! Join us. Tongue

4. Leves occasionally will give gear as a reward, but it's rare sometimes. Usually you will get gil and shards/food. Definitely check out the Market wards in your city. Most gear is crafted and sold by players in the wards, but lower level gear is low-demand so is sometimes hard to find or is overpriced! That's another reason to join a linkshell, a lot of us are crafters and are able to make some low leveled gear for nothing if you tell us what you want (google: mooglebox to browse gear). Some gear slots you won't bother filling until teens+ levels (jewelry, waist, etc) anyway.

Woo. That was fun. Smile Hope you see you in game soon!

Re: Hello, I'm Kaspian! - Eternal Darkness - 09-15-2012

Welcome welcome! Also, as far as leves go, I was under the impression you could do as many as you were allotted (99) If by the reset, do you mean when the 99 reset? I've never run into the issue with using up all 99 allowances.

Anyway, again welcome to the RPC! :cheer: