Hydaelyn Role-Players
Meaningful names - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Meaningful names (/showthread.php?tid=14067)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Meaningful names - mongi291 - 10-29-2015

Have you ever given to one of your characters a name with an actual meaning that is somehow related to them?
For example, my latest character is a Doman ninja, but she puts ninjutsu and her other skills to use as a mercenary. Thus, I called her Ume Kogane.
Well, I'm not really an expert on japanese, but Ume means "plum", which is considered as a symbol of devotion, and Kogane, among its multiple meanings, can mean "small sum of money".
So, her name -could- be interpreted as "devotion for a small sum of money", which I think it's fitting for a mercenary.

RE: Meaningful names - SicketySix - 10-29-2015

Wow I must admit that is way more thought out than what I do,
I create my characters appearance, then stare at them for the next 2 hours repeating names in my head until one seems to suit them

RE: Meaningful names - C'kayah Polaali - 10-29-2015

Not in Final Fantasy, no. My main character in Eve Online, however, was named for her intended profession: Shintoko, which is a sort of basket, and she was intended to be a smuggler.

RE: Meaningful names - Arcian - 10-29-2015

To the best of my knowledge, martel is an archaic French word for hammer, and Martell is the Germanic variant.

Arcian is someone who leaders point at things (or people) who need to be beaten down; a blunt instrument.

A hammer, if you will.

RE: Meaningful names - Aya - 10-29-2015

(10-29-2015, 01:52 PM)Arcian Wrote: To the best of my knowledge, martel is an archaic French word for hammer, and Martell is the Germanic variant.

Arcian is someone who leaders point at things (or people) who need to be beaten down; a blunt instrument.

A hammer, if you will.
Martel was Frankish for 'Hammer'!  And a wonderfully evocative word.  Malleus Garlearum (we can only hope!)

Highlanders often carry epithets, and Aya is no exception.  'Foxheart' is not a surname, but is one that was given to her (by 'Wolves') for who she is Smile

RE: Meaningful names - Arcian - 10-29-2015

(10-29-2015, 01:58 PM)Aya Wrote: Martel was Frankish for 'Hammer'!  And a wonderfully evocative word.  Malleo Garleaum (we can only hope!)

Highlanders often carry epithets, and Aya is no exception.  'Foxheart' is not a surname, but is one that was given to her (by 'Wolves') for who she is Smile

Oh, good, I wasn't totally off the mark then.

As for epithets, Arcian has one of those...or had. She ended up discarding it after she left the Resistance, as it was evocative of someone she didn't want to be anymore.

Besides, 'Spinebreaker' carries some unfortunate connotations if you're trying to make a positive impression.

RE: Meaningful names - Solenne - 10-29-2015

Solenne is a Breton name meaning "solemn." I chose it for the irony - Solenne is anything but solemn 99% of the time. Lagarde is an Old French name that I chose mainly because I liked the sound of it. It means something along the lines of "protection."

RE: Meaningful names - Oli! - 10-29-2015

"Adalhaid" is a combination of Adal- and a variant spelling of -Heid, which together roughly mean "of a kind/noble sort/appearance."

I wasn't specifically shooting for that when I went name-hunting, but I liked the sound of it, and it fit her intended personality.

RE: Meaningful names - ɴᴘᴄ - 10-29-2015

In the sketch for an alt, I opted for a first name that I thought would denote a lower social station, perhaps in a convention not uncommon to a servant caste. The same treatment applied to the family name of the noble house she served, whose 'swallow-tailed spear' techniques brought them much repute as warriors.

RE: Meaningful names - ZacharyVolfire - 10-29-2015

Yes/no my mai ncharacter normally i used westernized name but then anyother character i take the naming conventions for the race and paisntackling find a way to describe the character with their name.

RE: Meaningful names - SessionZero - 10-29-2015

I suppose? Savage Mountain mostly adheres to Hellsguard Roegadyn naming conventions, and he's a big mofo, so I guess the Mountain part fits.

Reilan Orycia neither means anything to my knowledge, nor is lore appropriate for a Wildwood Elezen, so suck it I guess.

Celeste means "heavenly," and her goal is to be the Most Holy Knight Ever, so that fits in a sense. Her surname, Pelderain, I got from the in-game name generator.

RE: Meaningful names - Manari - 10-29-2015

Naming a character takes me hours. Even in Final Fantasy I where I have to name my whole party. I just sit there like it's the most important decision I'll make all year. (not to mention you only get 4 letters per name)

But no, Manari Onai means nothing. It's just a name I've used for MMO characters since FFXI that I've had to work into the lore by making it become a name she adopted to make it easier for non-Miqo'te to say her name.

RE: Meaningful names - ProvaDiServo - 10-29-2015

IIRC Shankara has multiple interpretations ranging form "Lord of the gods" to the "destroyer of doubts" it is another name they reference Shiva to, and given shiva is a primal, I chose Shankara.

Ananta normally is interpreted as Infinite or without end.

RE: Meaningful names - Ciel - 10-29-2015

I love messing with names and poking lore appropriateness (is that a word?)at the same time. Prior to her bonding ceremony, Ciel's maiden name was Sauveterre which is basically "Safe Haven". So her full name: Heaven ('s) Safe Haven.

My other alt, also Elezen, deviates slightly if only to get his name to play out right, translating to "Silent Ice". There are background reasons for his name.

RE: Meaningful names - Bearclaw - 10-29-2015

I just looked around my room and saw my half-eaten breakfast bearclaw danish and named myself after that. Better than stapler I guess.

Saga just because it was an old norse girls name I liked that still has modern usage as a word.

Dragoon got named after my favorite character in Wakfu, Evangelyne and a video game I liked a lot, Recettear.

Seseto Seto was just named after Seto Kaiba because that's her gimmick.