Hydaelyn Role-Players
Meaningful names - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Meaningful names (/showthread.php?tid=14067)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Meaningful names - Volk - 11-03-2015

Edelweiss was simple - just a flower i think is neat:

[Image: Edelweiss2968.jpg]

it grows at high altitudes and is very sturdy. it is a flower, but its petals are thick and not delicate like many other flowers. I remembered that FFXIV mentions the edelweiss in a sideways manner through the rogue's guild. So I made this neat flower my character's name ooc and her pseudonym IC. Anyways, the highlander design I made for her has her hair is really light blonde with some near-white in it so it seemed like a good fit.

Her real name, Elsa Engstrom, is just patchwork. It could be lore bending or breaking bc I chose not to go the highlander epithet surname route, but I just prefer to name my characters that way.

--

Ameline Valtin, my late elezen, was random generated name - no special story or meaning there.

--

Beatrix Archer, my little midlander, is sort of a joke that i took too far. I thought it would be funny to make a Bea Arthur and just named her Beatrix Archer. It seemed midlander enough. Now I occasionally RP her or use her to tank pre-HW stuff where people dont fling poo at paladins

--------------
EDIT: I forgot, i have this thing where every character I make must have a given and surname that equals 5 syllables when added together. Idk why, but it really makes it flow better.

Am-el-ine--Val-tin (3+2)
Be-a-trix--Ar-cher (3+2)
Ed-el-weiss--Eng-strom (3+2)

Some of my favourite names of others in the community share this even if they did not think to do it intentionally !

RE: Meaningful names - murasaki - 11-04-2015

The kanji for Yukari is ç´« , which can also be read as "murasaki", meaning purple / violet. Also commonly used to refer to the colour of dusk. (Example picture below)
She's a Raen Au Ra, so a name that references beauty and nature fits nicely with the lore of the race/clan Big Grin

[Image: 7dc3cfa3fa43e092400b857ab754626b.jpg]
(Picture taken from this guy's blog)

RE: Meaningful names - Syf - 11-04-2015

Syf means muck, grime or dirt in Polish. Used it to emulate Mongolian names that are given to ward off and confuse evil spirits.

RE: Meaningful names - Mia Moui - 11-09-2015

My character's name doesn't have any specific meaning except that I like alliteration. Moui is a canon Keeper name, however.

But when it came time to choose a name for her chocobo, I did think about this a lot.  I eventually settled on Aiko which is Japanese for...well, it depends on the kanji.  I chose 愛幸 which (I think) means love and fortune.  Maybe love of fortune? That's okay but I hope it means love and good luck. But love of child is also possible with 
愛子 and that could be especially touching because of Mia's unfortunate experiences with the Coeurlclaw.

RE: Meaningful names - FrigidChick - 11-26-2015

If the game gives me the option of a surname, I usually use the surnames 'Zan', 'Love', or 'Drayton'...

Sylvie Zan 
Dare Zan

I also have a habit of naming avatars after characters in video games,  shows I am currently watching, and random people.

Bertholdt Hoover
Dragonlady Une (my Dragonborn in Skyrim)

Other times, I name the character with a random thought in mind:

Pink Martini (crazy pink drink topped with cotton candy)
Olive Yuu (aka "I love you")

Most likely I name the character after my childhood drawings and writings: 

Ray Shinto (pseudonym of demigod supporting character in my early writings)

RE: Meaningful names - murasaki - 11-27-2015

(11-09-2015, 02:11 PM)Mia Moui Wrote: I chose 愛幸 which (I think) means love and fortune.  Maybe love of fortune? That's okay but I hope it means love and good luck. But love of child is also possible with 
愛子 and that could be especially touching because of Mia's unfortunate experiences with the Coeurlclaw.
For the "love of ____" meaning, you'd need to have the kanji the other way around =]
幸 (kou) can also mean happiness or blessing.

Trivia: There are multiple ways you can read 愛幸: Aiko, Kanako, Chikako, Ayu, and many more. Whoever picked the name decides which version to use. This is also why a lot of Japanese needs to write down the hiragana version of their names when introducing themselves. Kudos for picking an interesting combination.
Thumbsup

RE: Meaningful names - Gabineaux - 11-27-2015

Isse.. 30 steps.. I don't think my character can take 30 steps without falling on his face. I was originally going to go with Issei but that means something else entirely and was too modern a name. But then I saw the name Isse on the naming convention post and thought, yo it's cruel to my character and lore abiding. Yoink. 

Takayama isn't his original surname but it means high mountain. Because the Takayama family is from high in the mountains. Yup.

RE: Meaningful names - Virella - 11-27-2015

I lolled when I googled Ave's name. Apparently its has the meaning strength and desired in old Germanic. What eh, oddly fits her?

Vi's name is sadly enough just something French sounding. Although Vilora was the name of my mage, and they both shared the same last name. Funny enough, Vilora was a drunken rename, and ended up by accident calling my mage after my succubus.

RE: Meaningful names - C'laihn - 11-27-2015

Reading all of the ways people have come up with their names makes me in awe. So creative and... uh, well mine isn't as nearly thought out. XD

Lain's tribal name is a tribute to Cu Chulainn because I love Irish mythology, awesome fighters (cough and polearm users) and the Fate series did not help settle this at all. Although Lain's personality is nothing like his name tribute counterpart.

Venator is a call back for the brothers, as the name suits them perfectly and since it doesn't really fit in with FF naming conventions, we came up with a sensibly nonsensical way to keep it. The Miqo'te misfits stumbled upon an old word, butchered it to hell and thought it sounded cool so they stuck with it.

RE: Meaningful names - Mia Moui - 11-27-2015

(11-27-2015, 03:18 AM)murasaki Wrote:
(11-09-2015, 02:11 PM)Mia Moui Wrote: I chose 愛幸 which (I think) means love and fortune.  Maybe love of fortune? That's okay but I hope it means love and good luck. But love of child is also possible with 
For the "love of ____" meaning, you'd need to have the kanji the other way around =]
幸 (kou) can also mean happiness or blessing.

Trivia: There are multiple ways you can read 愛幸: Aiko, Kanako, Chikako, Ayu, and many more. Whoever picked the name decides which version to use. This is also why a lot of Japanese needs to write down the hiragana version of their names when introducing themselves. Kudos for picking an interesting combination.
Thumbsup

I wasn't at all confident I had it right.  Japanese has to be the most complex and context driven language on the planet, maybe the universe. It's part of why I find it so fascinating.  English is so blunt most of the time.

RE: Meaningful names - Cailean Lockwood - 11-27-2015

Cailean:
Gaelic Meaning:
The name Cailean is a Gaelic baby name. In Gaelic the meaning of the name Cailean is:Young dog, or child. Scottish Gaelic.
Scottish Meaning:
The name Cailean is a Scottish baby name. In Scottish the meaning of the name Cailean is: Triumphant in battle; triumphant in war; virile. Contemporary'Child.
- http://www.sheknows.com/baby-names/name/cailean

Lockwood:
English Meaning:
The name Lockwood is an English baby name. In English the meaning of the name Lockwood is: From the enclosed wood.
- http://www.sheknows.com/baby-names/name/lockwood

but also...

An activity between 2 or more men involving crossing or locking each others dicks with one another.
Guy 1: Why are Connor and Recordo screaming in the bathroom?
Guy 2: They are probably preforming the lockwood technique.

- http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lockwood

That one sealed the deal for me! XD

RE: Meaningful names - cuideag - 11-27-2015

Originally I picked Delial because I just liked it and I liked the significance of it in a book I really dig (heck yeah House of Leaves), the most obvious thing being how analogous it is to the word "denial."

There's also happens to be Delilah (betrayed Samson's secret in the Bible) and Belial (worthless, without a master, the devil??, etc) and that's pretty cool too.

RE: Meaningful names - Hastur83 - 11-30-2015

Ya know, I just wanna say us Hellsguards have it easier when it comes to being lore-friendly with our names. We're just like "Man... They won't be able to pronounce that... Super Destroyer is easier to remember. I am now Super Destroyer." 

Well, not THAT particular name, I was just illustrating a point. I'm on Sargatanas at the moment, and it's all I can do not to exsanguinate myself everytime I see a weaboo name.

I'm pretty proud of my Hellsguard's name; Falling Dusk.

RE: Meaningful names - Dogberry - 11-30-2015

I chose Dogberry because I often like to give my characters Shakespearian names. Like his namesake, I wanted to play a character that you shouldn't take all that seriously. While my Dogberry differs in that there IS a serious side to him, I want to present him as a more lighthearted character and slowly introduce a sense of depth.

Himalspyr is one that I'm proud of. SE has my back on this one, too.

See, I made the name with the backstory that Himalspyr is a family name that gets passed around through the generations in honor of a famous ancestor. He was named Himalspyr (Heaven Spear) after throwing a spear so high into the air that it never came down. FAST FORWARD TO HEAVENSWARD. Astrologian lore gets released and one of the constellations is The Spear.

Yeah.. Knew it the whole time. Totally.

Iskierka's name means "little spark", which carries a double meaning. She's a mage, and prone to throwing fireballs. She is the little spark that makes the big fire. Also she has that "little spark" of genius. Or at least so she claims.

Stormspeaker just sounded like a cool name for a mage. She speaks, and creates a storm. Or she speaks to the storm. Either way is pretty cool.

RE: Meaningful names - Asmodean - 12-01-2015

Asmodean has been my go to name for any gamer tag/ avatar name since my oldest brother got my hook on reading the Wheel of Time books. Something to the character just hit the right nerve and I've used the name since.

Gaidin alsom comes from The Wheel of Time (WoT) series, but unlike the first name, is not part of anyone's name. It more a title based on the Old Tongue from WoT and mean Battle brother or brother to battle. It also used as another word for Warder, which for a quick note sever as the protectors of the mages for the story. Reasons for this one have more to do with Asmo's mother, then Asmo himself. But effectively he took her maiden name as a way to remake himself.