Hydaelyn Role-Players
Pick up RP Etiquette - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Pick up RP Etiquette (/showthread.php?tid=14229)

Pages: 1 2

Pick up RP Etiquette - Ton - 11-09-2015

I'm curious how people, particularly people who hang out in Ul'dah, feel about unorganized RP.

Since joining this forum, I have learned how most people have dedicated groups and intertwined story arcs, and it would seem rude or out of place simply strike up conversation.

I find it more natural to be IC on the spot. I'm also not sure how being new to RP will be received by RP heavy linkshells.

(PS: Whoever was RPing Haurchefant in Ishgard and Limsa, you made my day.)

RE: Pick up RP Etiquette - Rusty Knight - 11-09-2015

Madness. I find running into people and chatting away IC can bring some great roleplay, especially when you run into folk on a similar wavelength. It seems only natural characters would do this and I certainly wouldn't worry about 'disturbing' pre-planned roleplay if two characters are talking and your character stumbles in. If I'm roleplaying in Ul'dah I'm almost expecting people to strike up conversations with my characters regardless of what they may be doing!

Its always best to observe maybe one or two posts from the roleplay you're planning to step into so you are aware of whats going on. If they are involved in an event you'll notice in which case its polite just to drop one of them a tell to ask if its alright to join in and get up to speed (Especially DM events where there may be several fictional characters all over the place and you accidentally walk straight through 5 of them unawares).

I wouldn't let being a new roleplayer put you off, either let them know you're new or just sink your teeth in and any mistakes you make (eg lore) just play off your character having a moment. The best way to make contacts is to quite simply throw yourself out there, anyone who finds it rude you're trying to roleplay with them is quite honestly not worth the time.

PS: This threads title is misleading Cactuar

RE: Pick up RP Etiquette - Faye - 11-09-2015

Most people are perfectly okay with spontaneous RP (and let's face it, the people who aren't are usually buttholes anyway). If you're ever in doubt, take a look at their search info. A lot of people will have "walk-ups welcome," which means they're fine with random RP from strangers! Smile And if you're still left wondering, feel free to send the person a /tell and ask if they'd be receptive to some RP from your character.

RE: Pick up RP Etiquette - Capheira - 11-09-2015

(11-09-2015, 05:12 PM)Faye Wrote: Most people are perfectly okay with spontaneous RP (and let's face it, the people who aren't are usually buttholes anyway). If you're ever in doubt, take a look at their search info. A lot of people will have "walk-ups welcome," which means they're fine with random RP from strangers! Smile And if you're still left wondering, feel free to send the person a /tell and ask if they'd be receptive to some RP from your character.

+1

RE: Pick up RP Etiquette - Ton - 11-09-2015

Cool, thanks guys! I've gone into the Quicksand tens of times and thought, yeah I'm gonna do some awesome RP tonight! But then thought I may be bugging people haha.

Sorry if the title was misleading. I'm not trying to pick people up. Laugh

RE: Pick up RP Etiquette - Melkire - 11-09-2015

I find that how welcome walk-ups are depends on what sort of scenario the individual in question is walking up to.

In my experience:

If fellow members of my free company and I are having a private FC RP event in the middle of some gods-forsaken corner of, say, Coerthas Western Highlands and someone we don't know walks up to us and starts emoting and throwing out hooks, odds are that we won't be very receptive. Like as not, we'll acknowledge the presence of another character but the scene in question will be sidelined and/or put on hold until the interruption has been addressed and the newcomer has moved along. This is an easy scenario to spot, since the group of roleplayers will usually all share the same FC tag. I'm aware of a few free companies who do all their private event scenes in party chat, so you might not see them emoting (in which case it's pretty taboo to walk up) but if you do, it's generally a sign that the free company and/or its members are open to walk-ups... again, provided that you're not intruding at a rather awkward moment, in which case they'll deal with it. Be aware that, regardless of whether they're in the same free company, if you have reason to suspect that a cluster of roleplayers isn't emoting out in the open, then you should know that they probably won't appreciate a walk-up.

If the roleplayers are in a public venue (Quicksand, Drowning Wench, Carline Canopy, Coffer & Coffin, Buscarron's Druthers, etc.) and are engaged in what is obviously a public scene (roleplayers are emoting and talking in /say) then generally speaking they are usually open to walk-ups. That's rather the point of public roleplay in a public venue: most people are looking to meet with and roleplay with others, and more often than not they won't mind an additional person or two chiming in. Anyone with sense who desires privacy will make sure to move on from the venue once a situation calls for privacy, so don't worry about strolling on up.

If two roleplayers are having a public scene in a rather private venue (Ul'dah Airship Landing comes to mind), then you're probably better off not walking up. They've likely selected the venue in question because it's a secluded one, which implies that they like the privacy and won't be very welcoming of any strangers.

If two roleplayers look like they're having a heated discussion or conflict in what appears to be a private scene in public channels, then you have a mixed bag. Could be that they'd appreciate a walk-up. Could be they'd hate you for it. Some people despise using private channels. Others don't mind being overheard or otherwise interrupted.

Regardless of the scenario, I suggest always sending a /tell to at least one of the roleplayers to check and see whether a walk-up would be appropriate... even if every roleplayer at the scene in question is sporting "Walk-ups Welcome" in their search info! You never know!

RE: Pick up RP Etiquette - Val - 11-09-2015

Not being okay with walk-up RP just makesno sense to me in an MMO setting. I understand that there are those kinds of people you'd like to avoid, but that's kind of the risk you take when you choose to RP in an MMO environment. Half of the people most of us haveprobably met/currently RP with are those we randomly met via walk-up RP, and by excluding others people are really just stifling the possibility for their own RP to grow, meet new, exciting people, and the growth of the RP community as a whole.

That being said, what Faye said prettymuch sums it up. I, for one, am pretty open to walk-up RP so if you see any of my characters around, do so by all means! Though, as she said, there are times when I’m not going to be IC (and others as well), so if you’re unsure just send a whisper and ask the person =) there’s nothing wrong with that at all.

RE: Pick up RP Etiquette - Teadrinker - 11-09-2015

I think I'm a little different than most when it comes to this.

My RP is like a switch. I flick it on and off. I put in my info if I'm IC/OCC and try to keep it updated.

Sometimes I'm tabbed out working on something or handling something and people walk up when I'm OOC and I have to say "Sorry, later friend!" I feel like a bit of a jerk but I can't really drop what I'm doing at the time. Sad

I react badly when people push me to RP with them when I tell them I'm OOC/busy. That is weird to me.

RE: Pick up RP Etiquette - Val - 11-09-2015

(11-09-2015, 05:34 PM)Teadrinker Wrote: I react badly when people push me to RP with them when I tell them I'm OOC/busy. That is weird to me.

This is probably the absolute worst to me. If I'm obviously OOC in PvE gear or am chilling near the retainer bell/on our OOC hedge (aptly named because it's where we all go OOC), staring at a mailbox, goofing off by running around in circles, and many other obviously OOC things, please don't approach me and try to force me IC. There are some people that assume every action in game is an IC action or that they can just approach people and force them IC by greeting them IC and just.. no. Don't. It's a huge peeve of mine and it's not only annoying as shit, but comes off as incredibly obnoxious as well.

RE: Pick up RP Etiquette - Kestrael - 11-09-2015

Walk up RP (not that I seem to ever be able to get involved in any) is often the most fun. It is an open world and if people are playing in Say in a public setting, including far flung locales that you just so happen to stumble upon, the RPers should anticipate potential "interruptions". Of course, use your judgement. If its a date or a conversation that seems to be tailored specifically to the people involved maybe wait to approach them at another time.

Everyone is different. If you try to get involved in a situation and it becomes clear that your interaction isn't welcome just apologize (either IC or OOC or both) and move on.

Good luck.

RE: Pick up RP Etiquette - Alderique - 11-09-2015

(11-09-2015, 05:29 PM)Melkire Wrote: Regardless of the scenario, I suggest always sending a /tell to at least one of the roleplayers to check and see whether a walk-up would be appropriate... even if every roleplayer at the scene in question is sporting "Walk-ups Welcome" in their search info! You never know!

This sums up my opinion quite well! It's nice to send a tell to confirm. Sometimes people aren't looking for something new at the moment, or maybe they wanna log off soon and don't want to start anything. There could be any number of reasons.

I enjoy when others do it to me, because I'm not always ready to go, or I'll have other plans I don't want to interrupt.

RE: Pick up RP Etiquette - LadyCleriseaux - 11-09-2015

Nine times out of ten I will be open to walk-ups, especially if I am in a city. I try to keep my info updated with my current availability. Though like everyone else I do get busy and when I'm in the middle of RP I don't want to be interrupted.

I think a lot of this is about courtesy from the person who wants to RP with people. Them being polite and asking if I'm free via /tell makes a hugely positive impression and I'm far more likey to want to RP with them when I'm not busy. As people have said, I think that pushing for RP especially when people have politely declined is extremly rude. But thankfully those people are in the minority on here from what I have seen.

RE: Pick up RP Etiquette - C'laihn - 11-09-2015

Pretty much what everyone here has said is what I agree with too. If anything, you'll find people incredibly happy or excited that someone approached their character in a public RP setting- especially if they're not currently interacting with anyone. A few people play characters that are more seclusive or hesitant to strike up a random conversation, so they need some more outgoing types to accidentally spill a mug of cider all over them!

... Not that I've done that before. -clears throat-

Just to reiterate though, it definitely won't hurt to send a PM first. Also don't let any lack of profile information deter you from poking them either. I know I can't put "walk ups welcome" in my info because I'm bad at managing text and don't have room! It also might help if you're wondering if they're OOC or IC too, because I've had people mistake my 'goon gear as IC gear. Sadly, Lain isn't cool enough to be a swagoon ICly.

Also, if you're struggling to figure out how to approach another character in a way that seems natural, you don't have to just walk up and say hello. Perhaps they literally accidentally bump into them or trip and fall on their shoes. You could have your character mistake the other for someone else whether that be a friend, an idol or that nasty pocket thief who stole your gil that you couldn't quite catch.

TL;DR: Don't stress. A lot of people really want you to approach them. People are nice. If they're not, as was said, they're butts and the next person will be likely be receptive. I also talk too much. The end.

RE: Pick up RP Etiquette - Caspar - 11-09-2015

I pride myself on generally not refusing any RP that approaches me while my character is wearing an eyepatch. If I'm busy I'll let the other player know, but generally I'll at least engage them as much as I can afford to at any given moment.

RE: Pick up RP Etiquette - Ozma - 11-09-2015

I'm generally open to it though never had anyone strike up a conversation with me at all lol;; 

I do understand where you're coming from since it does feel rude to be bothering two or more people that are having a conversation in a tavern to just walk to them and say hi. 

To this day I wasn't sure either how to go about saying hi to someone other than go up to them and say hi ICly. But I guess sending them a /tell would help solve the problem (not sure why I didn't think of something so simple -_-;;; )