Hydaelyn Role-Players
Stupid Question: Vana'diel - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Stupid Question: Vana'diel (/showthread.php?tid=14256)

Pages: 1 2 3

Stupid Question: Vana'diel - Melphina - 11-11-2015

So it has come to my attention several times that in FFXIV there is the concept of dimension hopping...I know it's a dumb idea, but would that be possible for say someone like our character from FFXI being caught in the swirling vortex that took them from Valkurm to Misareaux Coast (Or was it Lu'fais Meadows? I forget) to get sucked to Eorzea during the act of teleportation...

I know it's a dumb question and I plan to catch flak, but my character from FFXI was actually rather established in terms of RP'ing with my group of friends, and I'm having a severely tough time trying to read all of FFXIV's lore so that I don't mess up (Believe me, it's tough with school.) but if it doesn't make sense that's totally ok, I was just wondering if it's possible

RE: Stupid Question: Vana'diel - Manari - 11-11-2015

If there are any of the RPers left from early 1.0, we all remember the swarm of RPers that were trying to RP their FFXI characters in FFXIV. Back then, there was no lore that supported this and it was very frowned upon to even attempt it. Then 2 years later the Shantotto event goes and makes this happen.

So like most anything, there could be ways to make it work, and if the people you RP with don't mind it, then go right ahead. If you really want to do this, you can of course whip of some of the loose lore thanks to the events we've had with Gilgamesh, Lightning, and of course Shantotto. Also I don't know anything about this new FFXI crossover event that just started as I haven't done it yet. Just be prepared for most characters to assume your character is insane.

RE: Stupid Question: Vana'diel - Cailean Lockwood - 11-11-2015

The optimal would be just to make an FFXIV equivelant of your FFXI character. Like "How would my character be if he/she was born in THIS universe instead!", rather than going into dimensional transportation and such.
Yes, as seen, it -is- possible, however it is a rare occurance, and as mentioned above, it is frowned upon when people RP their FFXI character in FFXIV.

That said, you can do whatever you like, really. If those you RP with accept this idea of yours, then have fun with it. But there will be people who won't accept it - or will just ICly treat you as an insane person if you start talking about you coming from another world and such. Tongue

RE: Stupid Question: Vana'diel - Unnamed Mercenary - 11-11-2015

While I can't say I know anyone IC or OOC who RPs as coming from FFXI, there are two threads on opinions on the matter.

(super old, then necroed) http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=888

(very strong opinions. Locked thread.) http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=12533

Personally, I would suggest against it because while the worlds may be connected, they have a staggering amount of differences. While a lot of things do match up (I've heard units of time and measurement are similar/the same), calling a Roegadyn a tail-less Galka or the like is a fast way to get some crazy looks IC and more likely, a lot of ignoring OOC.

As said above though, if you've got a group of friends who accept that, go for it! The concerns are only coming from a "I want to RP with ALL open-world RPers" perspective, which means it's pretty clamped down. (Similar issues would arise if say, a group of people were RPing as real-life people trapped in the game a la .Hack, SAO, Log Horizon, etc. It'd be a completely different, but not bad or wrong, setting to RP in.) Most, if not all of the people encountered ICly have been born on Hydaelyn. (Because who knows if Primals are born and some other exceptions)

RE: Stupid Question: Vana'diel - Vyce - 11-11-2015

Per Enix lore, all the worlds in which everything happens in any Square Enix title (and apparently Disney animated title) exist connected by the same universe or parallel universes. There is a whole 999/Schroedinger's Cat appeal. The things that tie them together are the existence of crystals, warriors of light, and the very real struggle between light and darkness. Each world is very different but also very similar.

If you look at Dissidia, heroes and villains from all the different Final Fantasy worlds (including Shantotto) are pulled from their respective worlds to do battle.
In Kingdom hearts, the Disney worlds are accessible by space-ship.

In Bravely Default, we see the Warriors of Light traverse the boundaries of parallel worlds that are nearly identical to their own.

And then there is Lightning. At the behest of a goddess, Lightning existed within a plane that is both separate from all worlds and connected to all worlds.

In short, traveling from XI to XIV is not impossible, but it is something only a Warrior of Light, a being bordering godhood (O-hohohohoho!), or a being by the grace of a god can accomplish. Claiming your character has reached these levels or had that kind of interaction is incredibly reaching.

Afaik, only the Warriors of Light have ever "accidentally" fallen into the void and landed somewhere new. Because it's never purely coincidence- there is always a higher entity pulling the strings.

RE: Stupid Question: Vana'diel - Cailean Lockwood - 11-11-2015

(11-11-2015, 11:58 AM)Vyce Wrote: In Kingdom hearts, the Disney worlds are accessible by space-ship.

*clears throat*
Gummi ship, if I may.

;3

RE: Stupid Question: Vana'diel - Oli! - 11-11-2015

Regardless of whether or not it's possible, I'd consider it to be one of those Occam's Razor things.

If the point of it is to just have an old character you once played available to play again, there's a simpler way to achieve that: making the character again within the setting.

RE: Stupid Question: Vana'diel - mongi291 - 11-11-2015

(11-11-2015, 11:58 AM)Vyce Wrote: Afaik, only the Warriors of Light have ever "accidentally" fallen into the void and landed somewhere new. Because it's never purely coincidence- there is always a higher entity pulling the strings.
Unless your name is Gilgamesh, that is.

(11-11-2015, 12:17 PM)mongi291 Wrote:
(11-11-2015, 11:58 AM)Vyce Wrote: Afaik, only the Warriors of Light have ever "accidentally" fallen into the void and landed somewhere new. Because it's never purely coincidence- there is always a higher entity pulling the strings.
Unless your name is Gilgamesh, that is.

Gilgy qualifies as a superlative like Shantottohohohoho.

RE: Stupid Question: Vana'diel - ProvaDiServo - 11-11-2015

Hey as long as you got homies that don't mind it, run it. You aint gonna have much fun trying placate a whole bunch of faceless people, that you may not RP with anyway. And if you do rp with those that would normally shun those ideas, then they don't need to know your all your characters info, keep it vague if you got to.

RE: Stupid Question: Vana'diel - Unnamed Mercenary - 11-11-2015

(11-11-2015, 12:26 PM)ProvaDiServo Wrote: Hey as long as you got homies that don't mind it, run it. You aint gonna have much fun trying placate a whole bunch of faceless people, that you may not RP with anyway. And if you do rp with those that would normally shun those ideas, then they don't need to know your all your characters info, keep it vague if you got to.

^Basically this. FFXIV is still a game to have fun in first. And even among "lore-abiding" RPers, there are always going to be disagreements then.

(11-11-2015, 12:26 PM)ProvaDiServo Wrote: Hey as long as you got homies that don't mind it, run it. You aint gonna have much fun trying placate a whole bunch of faceless people, that you may not RP with anyway. And if you do rp with those that would normally shun those ideas, then they don't need to know your all your characters info, keep it vague if you got to.
With tongue-and-cheek humor, the same could be said of Cannibalism. As long as your friends are okay with it, go for it. You don't have to do what everyone else likes and wants, but if you do have friends that don't like it, just don't tell them. It couldn't possibly come up and be a problem.

Will the idea still make you happy in spite of how others may treat you?

If the answer is yes, DO IT. DO IT NOW.

If the answer is no, it's time to jump into a brainstorm.

RE: Stupid Question: Vana'diel - Edgar - 11-11-2015

I wholeheartedly agree.

RE: Stupid Question: Vana'diel - Melphina - 11-11-2015

Maybe it wouldn't be a very good idea, I was intending to get a character going, I'll just strike this one off my list, thanks for answering ^^

RE: Stupid Question: Vana'diel - Sounsyy - 11-11-2015

(11-11-2015, 12:57 PM)Melphina Wrote: Maybe it wouldn't be a very good idea, I was intending to get a character going, I'll just strike this one off my list, thanks for answering ^^

Atomos is another way one could connect the two worlds as Atomos is the same entity in both - a Voidsent being able to slip in and out of worlds, times, and dimensions in the pursuit of aether. In XI's Wings of the Goddess you only go through time, but hopping worlds is a possibility. Granted, there will still probably be some opposition to that plot, but I wanted to bring it up for reference if you're set on the idea.

All that said, there are a ton of parallels between Hydaelyn and Vana'diel. Perhaps if you wanted to share some background on your XI character we could help you with the lore for their XIV counterparts? ^^