Hydaelyn Role-Players
Ryanti Veanysus - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Player Directory (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Ryanti Veanysus (/showthread.php?tid=1439)

Ryanti Veanysus - Ryanti - 10-25-2012

I. Basic Info

• Characters: Ryanti Veanysus
  • Primary character: Ryanti Veanysus
  • Linkshells: None yet.
  • Primary RP linkshell: None yet.

II. RP Style

My RP style consists of paragraph posting, and describing my character with a third person mindset. The overall description of how I write can be summed up in simple words: The format is about the same as writing a novel. During group roleplays, and/or events, when RP has to be sped up, to keep up with the quick pace, I switch to only writing pure dialogue. It should be easy enough to differentiate between the two.

• Amount of RP (light, medium, heavy):

Medium. Most authors would know that 100% of the time, they are not always 100%. Which means there are times where you just can't really write that well, and there are times where you just don't feel like writing. The same could be said for roleplaying. I play a MMO for all the features, including RP, I don't just align myself with RP. So in other words, while I don't consider myself a casual roleplayer, I don't roleplay 24/7.

• Views on RP combat and injuries:

Nothing should be ruled by a dice roll. I'm going to go further then that and say a fight should not determine a winner or a loser just because of a higher level. While I understand the style of seeing who wins in, for example, a duel, to RP who wins and loses, but I am speaking from a writing standpoint, not a pvp standpoint. Combat should never feature god modding or metagaming, and proper communication and chemistry with one's opponent is key. It should be a battle of wit, to see who can outsmart one another while still confining to common sense in regards to the strengths and weaknesses of their characters. Any injury that is temporary is alright with me as long as I am notified ahead of time and I consent. Any permanent injury must have my OOC consent beforehand. I mean it. Or else I will retcon you.

• Views on IC romance:

Romance is a very important, significant part of our lives. Thus I can barely see a complete RP experience without romance. That includes encounters, as well as consensual 'dating'. However, I do not appreciate what I call 'Romeos and Juliets', AKA people who are always together, always speaking about how much they love one another, and generally just making everyone else feel like a third wheel. I hate being the third wheel. While acknowledgement of love for one another is great, it's like alcohol, practice it in moderation, please. And don't try to make anyone jealous either.

I also believe IC romance has nothing to do with OOC romance. Which means if I'm dating someone IRL, I don't mind doing IC romance at all, in any form or fashion. The same can be said for whoever is my IC romance partner. I don't believe that, if someone is in a relationship or married, that it's a big deal to be in a IC thing. It's not. I wouldn't want a IC relationship with someone who thinks they are cheating on their boyfriends or whatever because they are rp'ing with me. It's no big deal, I'm not going after you. My character is going after yours.

I don't usually completely commit my character to someone unless the chemistry is better then anything I could ever hope for. And it's not because I don't think your IC character is amazing and belongs with my own. It's because I believe committing an IC character robs me of potential encounters/love/weird and difficult emotional moments involving blossoming sexual contact and/or attraction elsewhere. I love to write about that stuff. I don't want to be in a situation where I'm like 'Gee, I can't act out on this potential moment to be amazing because my character is with 'x'. Once again, it's not because I think anyone is inferior to anyone, it's because I don't want to limit myself from a IC perspective. (That, and my character will be pretty controversial anyhow, dealing with love and body contact and all that.)

About homosexuality. I am willing to experience guyxguy contact, though I view 'yaoi' (I prefer shonen-ai actually) in a different way then 'straight'. Usually when that happens my writing is a lot more dramatic and angst-ish then straight moments. I don't appreciate labels. I don't mean to be offensive here, but acting like a 'queen' is not my thing, and neither is having encounters with one. I expect guyxguy stuff to not be involved in any way whatsoever with 'homosexual pop culture'. Ever seen Loveless? They don't use labels in that show. Watch it and you'll have an idea.

I guess you can tell by now that I don't mind erotic roleplay. I don't. I know it has a bad reputation with people considering there's a decent chunk of people who do it that ruin its image. If you are into erotic roleplay, if you are open to erotic roleplay, then rest assured, so am I. It will have to be private. It will have to be away from prying eyes. But I'm willing, if the chemistry is there. If you unsure about it, don't be afraid to approach me about the subject, and I'll try to make you as comfortable and reassured as I can. I'm very easy to work with. Just don't make the acts sound nasty and be open-minded Smile.

I usually ask permission before I do anything beyond playful flirting (serious flirting!), or engage in IC sexual business, so don't be worried about sudden advances with me either.

• Views on non-romantic RP (family ties, etc):

I'm all for it. Though I believe the idea of someone rp'ing every single family member isn't the best way to do it, and it's kind of ... a bore. If I were to RP anyone with family ties, I would have to trust them that they know about my character's family, that they have beautiful chemistry with my own writing, and that I always feel comfortable around them, and comfortable that any backstory they write or plotlines they RP out, will be approved by me. This is, of course, assuming I'm the guy that first comes up with my family (which I will be.) Since I plan for my IC character's family to be very involved in high society, the chance to be involved with my family is open. Once again, don't be afraid to approach me about it. If you desire to play a distant cousin, an uncle, etc. Being a brother, a sister, a mother, or a father, however, requires that you are very close to me from a writing standpoint, as that requires much more trust then more distant family members.

Though I'd love to have family ties!

• Views on lore:

There is one golden rule that I live by, and every single responsible, mature RP'er IMO needs to know this.

Ready?

"A great roleplayer should bend the lore as far as it could go, but not break it." Lore should be utilized in regard to the history of the world, religion, dialect, and family backgrounds. However, I despise people who stick to the lore like glue and have a closed mind about any exceptions. For me, I realize that, living on this Earth, people are different, and I view the whole 'this race generally acts like 'x'' as a stereotype and nothing more. I believe that people should make their characters more 'multi-dimensional- then that general crap and that also applies to attitude, and stuff like that. Always having to rely on lore in every day RP is a bad idea. Lore should be used as a loose 'jelly foundation' in which to build up your own creative inputs and interpretations. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Views on chat functions (/say, /linkshell, etc):

This is something I MUST project out there, because I seriously disagree with a lot of people on this. Have a OOC chat that is seperate from IC chat, or, if no one is RP'ing, be able to speak OOC in there. Because I believe that an IC chat channel between friends will literally nuder social development between us in an OOC sense. Think about it. We are not just here to RP. We aren't. We are here to build a community. Building a community means not just forging a bond between us as IC, but also between us as PEOPLE. Therefore, we need a place for where we can just... talk. Just hang out. Just have fun. And LS's are perfect for that.

/Say should be IC. That's how I've always RP'd in MMO's. The /say command and /emote command is what I believe RP should lie into. That's where all of the IC stuff should happen because /say and /emote is like talking, only people within range can hear. The only time where it can be utilized OOC wise is in a dungeon or something like that.

/Guild should be OOC as well.

III. Other Info
  • Timezone: Chicago (CST)
  • Contact info: PM me.

~Special announcements can be found in the posts below~

Re: Ryanti Veanysus - Ellie - 10-25-2012

Quick question: You're against using Linkshells as methods of IC communication for all instances? There's an OOC linkshell that most of the community uses for OOC talk, but almost all the RP groups I've ever been in have used linkpearls in character.

Re: Ryanti Veanysus - Ryanti - 10-26-2012

Keisuna Wrote:Quick question: You're against using Linkshells as methods of IC communication for all instances? There's an OOC linkshell that most of the community uses for OOC talk, but almost all the RP groups I've ever been in have used linkpearls in character.

First of all, thank you for reading through all of that! :cheer:

I haven't rp'd in FFXIV before. I don't know the customs. If there is a place for OOC that I can go to and just 'hang out' with people, then it's fine to have an IC linkshell.

As long as there is an OOC retreat, is what I'm saying. That argument is assuming we have no OOC retreat.

Re: Ryanti Veanysus - Ellie - 10-26-2012

Ah, then you'll be right at home with the backstage pearl (or is it intermission now? I keep forgetting). That's pretty much the pearl most of the RPers on the server use for general OOC chat and the like.

Also, there are times when roleplaying in /say will attract griefers and people who will try to harrass you or disrupt your RP experience, so sometimes people like to roleplay in /party chat.

Oh yes. That reminds me of the times I had in Galaxies back in the day. When you typed in a /say, it came out as a speech bubble. There were giant wookies and the such that tried to grief us. We'd either RP somewhere out in the middle of nowhere, or in a building. The cool thing was, if someone that owned the building was there, they could ban people from the building.

And, cool! I didn't know there was a backstage pearl. I actually think I've heard of it before while browsing but I have the flu right now ^^; my mind is mush. I still don't know how I managed to type all of that out.

I'm one of those guys that are just, laid back, so when I see a griever, I usually laugh, but yes, they do disrupt the process in a rather rude manner. Hopefully, FFXIV:ARR will be an overall tolerant community regarding roleplay. FF's MMO's usually have more tolerant people then others.

I suppose I'll be living it up backstage when I'm not rp'ing. Big Grin From experience it's very fun to.

*Edit*

RE: Ryanti Veanysus - Ryanti - 02-23-2013

Bumping, for the sake of needing more feedback from newer members of this site. 

I'm not sure if mind sets have changed since I disappeared or ... well, I'm just a curious cat, aren't I.

RE: Ryanti Veanysus - V'sato - 07-02-2013

I really enjoyed reading your background story and I look forward to seeing more of what you can come up with. I also think a lot of your views on IC and OOC are pretty interesting.

RE: Ryanti Veanysus - Adelpha - 07-02-2013

I normally don't critique other peoples' styles, but you've specifically asked for feedback, so I might as well offer some that I feel is important:

I personally disagree with the use of "third-person perspective" in real-time RP. I can see where you're coming from by thinking about it from a "novel-writing" POV, which I think works great for short stories or other out-of-game RP, but what happens when you do it in real-time is that you're constantly beaming your character's innermost thoughts into other peoples' heads as you're interacting with them. While most experienced RPers are typically able to ignore that sort of stuff when it happens, it can be immersion-breaking and somewhat frustrating to be continuously bombarded by it and having to keep ignoring it. It also slows down the pace of the RP by having lots of stuff get written out that is essentially irrelevant as it pertains to the interaction that's actively happening. It can be interesting from an OOC perspective to learn more about your character, but generally when I want to do that, it's outside of the game (or in an OOC channel), and not while I'm actively trying to interact with someone.

I don't want to tell you that your style is "wrong" or that you're bad for doing it, but in my experience most of the FFXIV RP community doesn't typically do that sort of thing, so you may experience some pushback about it. I figured it'd be better to do it in a forum setting rather than having someone else bring it up in the game itself. Thumbsup

RE: Ryanti Veanysus - Aysun - 07-02-2013

(07-02-2013, 12:58 PM)Adelpha Wrote: I normally don't critique other peoples' styles, but you've specifically asked for feedback, so I might as well offer some that I feel is important:

I personally disagree with the use of "third-person perspective" in real-time RP. I can see where you're coming from by thinking about it from a "novel-writing" POV, which I think works great for short stories or other out-of-game RP, but what happens when you do it in real-time is that you're constantly beaming your character's innermost thoughts into other peoples' heads as you're interacting with them. While most experienced RPers are typically able to ignore that sort of stuff when it happens, it can be immersion-breaking and somewhat frustrating to be continuously bombarded by it and having to keep ignoring it. It also slows down the pace of the RP by having lots of stuff get written out that is essentially irrelevant as it pertains to the interaction that's actively happening. It can be interesting from an OOC perspective to learn more about your character, but generally when I want to do that, it's outside of the game (or in an OOC channel), and not while I'm actively trying to interact with someone.

I don't want to tell you that your style is "wrong" or that you're bad for doing it, but in my experience most of the FFXIV RP community doesn't typically do that sort of thing, so you may experience some pushback about it. I figured it'd be better to do it in a forum setting rather than having someone else bring it up in the game itself. Thumbsup

That type of RP is indeed pretty confined to small niches in XIV. Mostly it is due to the pace of RP in XIV. We go FAST. Which is AWESOME. I come from somewhere where "Para RP" is the gold standard, that is, very story-tellingish with longer posts. So when I came to XIV it was a rude awakening that we didn't post like that anymore. While I still engage in this type of RP in 1-on-1 and very small settings with like-minded individuals on Skype, doing it in game is very difficult and I happily abandon it in favor of shorter, more direct emotes and dialogue. Speaking from experience and one who was really devoted to Para RP, you can still RP in XIV at this faster pace and enjoy the crap out of it without long, deep emotes, trust me! Smile

RE: Ryanti Veanysus - Eckzein - 07-03-2013

Read your post about roleplaying.

My experience in RP draws heavily from MUD's or a text only based RP game.

If you can keep up with the pace and still describe your character's actions in third person than do it. The only caveat is trimming away the fat in the text you'll be writing. *I'll still be using some of those in game emotes though ^ ^*

I've seen players able to dance circles around me in self described emotes all the while keeping their RP mask from cracking. Naturally I was drawn to such players and tried my best to emulate them and while it was a rewarding experience, it was also an exhausting, tedious and time consuming one. Very few RPers had the patience for that kind of thing and I felt it was their loss. Just sticking to dialogue works, but describing body language, vocal tone, and subtle actions adds a whole new layer of expression to your character that I appreciate in RP. Essentially, your communicating what your character is feeling in a roundabout way that allows for more open ended RP. *If done well*
From your post you seem to be mindful of your audience and the pace of the RP so I think you'll be fine.

RE: Ryanti Veanysus - Alothia - 07-03-2013

It all really depends on the people you play with. Some people are vehemently against it, while others don't really mind. Shop around for your linkshell/FC, make sure you find a group of people who accept your play style, and when you go out and RP with other people, just keep in mind that other people may not like it. *shrug* RP however you feel most comfortable with!