Hydaelyn Role-Players
Lessons Learned (Closed) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Lessons Learned (Closed) (/showthread.php?tid=14484)

Lessons Learned (Closed) - Melodia - 12-04-2015

These events all take place during Melodia's youth

Age 9
The little desk was cramped, and after hours of sitting in it, the wooden seat began to make her backside sore. She looked at the text and growled, her blue hair pulled up into a bun on her head so she could see. Taurin had said time was wasted when fighting with long hair that needed to be reminded to stay out of the way, but what did he know? She just knew he was old. And grouchy.

Another sigh from Melodia and the chair across the room creaked as Taurin stood and approached, his footsteps light on the wooden floor of the ship hull. "I'm still waiting, child. Read the text for me."

"This's stupid...readin'. An' I hate it." She pushed the paper front of her away, up the desk surface and folded her thin arms defiantly, scowling, but refusing to look up at the older Miqo'te. He maintained his stern look and stopped at the desk, his index finger stabbing the paper and sliding it back down to her. "Read the text for me."

Tomas, the boy who was assigned to work with Taurin, gulped as he sat nearby and looked over at the girl with a look that screamed, 'Just do what he asks.' Taurin had caught the look and shook his head at the boy, a silent look acknowledging the intent to help. This would be Melodia's battle, not Tomas'. She looked up a scowled at the man as he stared down at her and he said in a voice that was more kind than she expected, "Do you know can't read, child?"

Melodia shook her head. "No...don' care."

Tauring knelt and looked her in the eye as he spoke. "The powerless. The ones lost into history. The cruel ones as well. Men like Ramsay.." She shuddered at the name...the Elezen had always terrified her. "He can't read." He slid the paper closer. "And I know you aren't powerless, child. And I know you aren't like him. You're better than that." His finger lifted off the paper and he smiled. "Now read the text...and prove it to yourself that you're better."

Melodia let out a small whimper as she felt tears in her eyes. "But readin' 's hard..."

Taurin nodded. "That it is...but anything truly rewarding will be hard. It's your outlook and response to those challenges that determine what kind of a person you can be." He stood and moved back to his chair in front of the room. "Now...read the text."

RE: Lessons Learned (Closed) - Melodia - 12-07-2015

Age 12
Melodia braced herself for the blow and as it struck the wooden blade in her hands, she felt the shockwave rip through her hands and arms. Taurin leaned down over her while her foot dug into the dirt and grass the best it could. She was sweating, panting, as she tried to get some leverage over the older man. He gritted his teeth looking at her and shook his head. "You're completely off balance Melodia..."

She growled back, her lips pulled into a sneer, "Yer jus' an old man...I...I c'n come back..."

He chuffed and in a quick motion, his right leg swept and took hers out. She fell backward and let out a surprised cry before slamming her fist into the ground.

"Not lying on your back, you won't. That position...it's for whores and invalids. Which are you?" He said with a calm tone and demeanor, extending his hand down for her. She took it and as he pulled her up she scowled. "Ain't neither o' them." Throwing the wooden blade to the ground she walked a few steps away and sighed tiredly. Her hair had been cut short and she had been growing taller by the moon.

Walking to stand beside her, he took in the same view she had. "You're a skilled young lady, Melodia...but you let stupid ideas cloud it. Self doubt. Worry. You allow pain to fester and burn you rather than using it as a means to become better." She looked downward and then back to Taurin with a frown.

"Ye keep sayin' I'm good an' all...fact is...I'm shite."

Taurin scowled and shook his head. "Language Melodia. And that's the Captain speaking....not you. I do think you have potential...you just need to calm yourself....and that voice in your mind that cripples you every time." He smiled softly at the girl. "Or else you'll simply be a girl on your back. And I expect more out of you than that."

RE: Lessons Learned (Closed) - Melodia - 12-08-2015

Age 7

Some lessons are learned the hard way. Melodia hadn't known that the chambers were off limits at that time. The rules aboard the ship always seemed to change on the Captain's whim. She'd been cleaning as she always did and when she'd entered the room and caught the Captain and one of the men...wrestling (she couldn't be sure), the Captain had grown furious with her.

The Captain...she had yelled...and more.

She stood in front of a makeshift mirror she'd fashioned from a piece of steel, the dank, wet are under the decks where she slept already wet with a pool of water. She could hear the men and women above laughing and having fun and she silently cried, looking at the cuts and bruises those Roe hands had inflicted. As her finger touched the cut under her eye she winced and laid the mirror down. Looking up at the wooden ceiling, she knelt and then finally slumped against the wall, crying quietly.

The sound of the plate sliding across the dry portion of the floor caught her attention and she paused her quiet sobs to look into the dimly lit area before her. She heard no footsteps, but saw the plate loaded with food, smelled it, and whined, fearful it was a trick. The voice came from the darkness, close to the stairs she knew were there, a soft but older one.

"Eat quickly...before she decides to come check on you. You have time, but not much." She waited and wasn't sure who was even speaking. The next words were stern.

"Eat, girl. Every moment you dwell in misery is a wasted chance....do not let this ship nor that Captain ruin what you could be." She thought she heard footsteps but couldn't be sure.

And then she was in silence. Waiting for what felt like an eternity, she leaned forward and took the plate, eating the food with her hands, hurrying to finish it. When she was done, she slid the empty plate under her worn and ragged pillow and she laid under the wet blanket, a soft smile on her lips as she faded to sleep.

Even in the most miserable moments, there were smiles to be had.