Hydaelyn Role-Players
Is it really impossible to RP if I want my character to become a White Mage? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Is it really impossible to RP if I want my character to become a White Mage? (/showthread.php?tid=14559)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Is it really impossible to RP if I want my character to become a White Mage? - Melkire - 12-12-2015

There is nothing preventing anyone from roleplaying as any of FFXIV's jobs. No matter how much anyone else might try to gainsay that through shaming, the truth is that what you roleplay is entirely up to you, and how well your roleplay is received is entirely up to which crowds you roleplay with.

That said, adhering closely to lore out of respect for the setting will mean at least one of two things:

1. If the job in question is extremely rare or almost universally condemned (at the time of writing, that would be WHM and BLM respectively, with SMN and SCH following behind WHM in terms of rarity), then you will more than likely want to write your character such that they go to great lengths to hide and/or conceal their talent(s) from the vast majority of their fellow Eorzeans.

2. If the job in question involves skills or talents that are exceedingly rare or difficult to come by (SMN requires exposure to Primal-aspected aether, SCH requires a pact with a fairy, and WHM involves either the blessing of the elementals or else ridiculously-difficult-to-acquire knowledge), then you will more than likely want to write a backstory for your character that delves into precisely how they managed to achieve, attain, and/or fulfill the basic requirements necessary to be deemed and counted as a SMN/SCH/WHM/whatever.

RE: Is it really impossible to RP if I want my character to become a White Mage? - V'aleera - 12-12-2015

Succor can be acquired in four distinct ways:

-Learn it from an Elemental.
-Learn it from a Padjal.
-Learn it from Amdapor.
-Find a soul crystal.

The first one is pretty unlikely, the rest are varying degrees of believable.

RE: Is it really impossible to RP if I want my character to become a White Mage? - McBeefâ„¢ - 12-12-2015

(12-12-2015, 04:18 PM)V Wrote: Succor can be acquired in four distinct ways:

-Learn it from a Padjal.
-Learn it from Amdapor.
-Find a soul crystal.

Hey there are other cool options! Like time travel, or an ancient tome.

The other possibility is just don't tell anyone. There is no requirement that your character divulge ICLY or OOCLY how they learned to handle succor.

RE: Is it really impossible to RP if I want my character to become a White Mage? - Yssen - 12-12-2015

(12-12-2015, 06:17 PM)McBeefâ„¢ Wrote:

-Learn it from a Padjal.
-Learn it from Amdapor.
-Find a soul crystal.

The other possibility is just don't tell anyone. There is no requirement that your character divulge ICLY or OOCLY how they learned to handle succor.
^ THIS! All of this. 

Then think on what could happen if something (either PC or plot NPC) finds out the secret. Blackmailed? Becoming hunted? Attempted capture for study? Conflict! Drama! Shenanigans!

All elements of a good time. Yar.

RE: Is it really impossible to RP if I want my character to become a White Mage? - LiadansWhisper - 12-14-2015

(12-10-2015, 04:29 PM)missmizzy4 Wrote: I really want to be a White Mage, but apparently the lore staits only Pajald can be and they are then isolated for using such magic. But you can become a white mage in game as what you are and that...

So do I really have to give up becoming one and switch my characters class/job activities so I can RP with her??

Let me know if their is anyway around this, and if not, I just need feedback! Thanks! Smile Heart

Yes. You just have to "sell" your explanation for how you got around the restriction. That's all. Sell it to us. Make it believable and seriously, no one will care.

But please don't pretend the restriction isn't there at all. Undecided

RE: Is it really impossible to RP if I want my character to become a White Mage? - LiadansWhisper - 12-14-2015

(12-12-2015, 06:17 PM)McBeefâ„¢ Wrote: The other possibility is just don't tell anyone. There is no requirement that your character divulge ICLY or OOCLY how they learned to handle succor.

This is actually the most sensible way, imo, to handle it IC. White Magic is a forbidden discipline, but because it is forbidden, 99.99% of people you encounter shouldn't be able to tell what school of magic you're using if you're drawing on Succor, since pretty much the Padjal are the only ones to have used it in almost a thousand years. They might know something is off, but seriously, that's some heavy-duty Lore to be able to justify knowing just from observing the magic that you're using Succor.

RE: Is it really impossible to RP if I want my character to become a White Mage? - Teadrinker - 12-14-2015

-Learn it from a Padjal.
-Learn it from Amdapor.
-Find a soul crystal.

I feel like I need to stick a giant asterisk next to this that says

* It might be wise to inform someone OOCly if they are showing to become a frequent RP partner so you don't inadvertently drag them into something they don't find compatible with the lore as they accept it.

RE: Is it really impossible to RP if I want my character to become a White Mage? - Verilys - 12-14-2015

(12-14-2015, 12:36 AM)Teadrinker Wrote:

-Learn it from a Padjal.
-Learn it from Amdapor.
-Find a soul crystal.

* It might be wise to inform someone OOCly if they are showing to become a frequent RP partner so you don't inadvertently drag them into something they don't find compatible with the lore as they accept it.

That sounds like an excellent way to spoil some interesting developments in character interactions though. :p

RE: Is it really impossible to RP if I want my character to become a White Mage? - Teadrinker - 12-14-2015

(12-14-2015, 12:44 AM)Verilys Wrote:
(12-14-2015, 12:36 AM)Teadrinker Wrote:

-Learn it from a Padjal.
-Learn it from Amdapor.
-Find a soul crystal.

That sounds like an excellent way to spoil some interesting developments in character interactions though. :p

Which can be avoided by not playing an exceedingly difficult character concept and just writing out an awesome narrative.

Someone used the the word 'vapid' earlier. A revelation like "I'ma white mage." would kinda fall into that category for me.

This is my opinion.

RE: Is it really impossible to RP if I want my character to become a White Mage? - Verilys - 12-14-2015

(12-14-2015, 12:52 AM)Teadrinker Wrote: Which can be avoided by not playing an exceedingly difficult character concept and just writing out an awesome narrative.

Someone used the the word 'vapid' earlier. A revelation like "I'ma white mage." would kinda fall into that category for me.

This is my opinion.

Well, yes, but most anything can be described thus when condensed down to three or four words.

The fact of the matter is that when you begin to RP frequently enough with someone, they're probably going to do something at some point, ICly or OOCly, that you don't necessarily agree with. I don't see why this particular subjects would require a disclaimer any more than any variety of others.

(12-14-2015, 12:36 AM)Teadrinker Wrote: * It might be wise to inform someone OOCly if they are showing to become a frequent RP partner so you don't inadvertently drag them into something they don't find compatible with the lore as they accept it.

Or you can avoid mixing OOC and IC and just make sure it never comes up IC if you're really worried about it.

But if you've played it really solidly, I doubt any decent RPer is going to have an issue with it, and if they do, they can speak to you then.

RE: Is it really impossible to RP if I want my character to become a White Mage? - Harmonixer - 12-14-2015

Just fucking RP an WHM, no one is gonna attack you over it and anyone that does is a massive dickface and you don't want to spend time with them anyway.

Seriously, you'll be fine. Just consider what brings you more enjoyable RP above all else without harming other people's shit and you'll spend far less time stressing about it.

(12-14-2015, 01:13 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(12-14-2015, 12:36 AM)Teadrinker Wrote: * It might be wise to inform someone OOCly if they are showing to become a frequent RP partner so you don't inadvertently drag them into something they don't find compatible with the lore as they accept it.

Or you can avoid mixing OOC and IC and just make sure it never comes up IC if you're really worried about it.

But if you've played it really solidly, I doubt any decent RPer is going to have an issue with it, and if they do, they can speak to you then.

Allegations and assumptions aside, anything can be awesome and solid depending on context and the skill of the writer. That isn't worth debating or commenting on.

OP asked for general opinions and I have added mine to the discussion.

(12-14-2015, 02:05 AM)Teadrinker Wrote: Allegations and assumptions aside, anything can be awesome and solid depending on context and the skill of the writer. That isn't worth debating or commenting on.

OP asked for general opinions and I have added mine to the discussion.

Yup and I disagreed and explained why. We can both have opinions! Surprise

RE: Is it really impossible to RP if I want my character to become a White Mage? - Kellach Woods - 12-14-2015

(12-14-2015, 03:31 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: Yup and I disagreed and explained why.  We can both have opinions! Surprise

NO, OPINIONS ARE FORBIDDEN. Tongue

F'real tho, you can legitimately RP whatever so long as the story makes sense.