Hydaelyn Role-Players
Padjals upbringing? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Padjals upbringing? (/showthread.php?tid=14616)

Padjals upbringing? - Valence - 12-15-2015

Alright, so I have read Sounssy's links on padjal lore (thanks!) to begin with.

The question I am trying to figure out currently is how does it manifests itself for the first time? Do padjals are all born with horns visible as toddlers? When are people able to tell they are not only hearers, but also blessed with the padjal abilities (not counting horns, but it's related)?

What do we know about that?

It would seem that recent lore additions pointed that not only hyur can be, but also other races right? Or did I read that wrong ?

RE: Padjals upbringing? - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-15-2015

Padjals are not a naturally occuring race. They are primarily Hyuran children from strong Hearer families who are chosen by the Elementals.

They are not born with horns. Those grow after the child has become a Padjal. One can imagine that a family known for producing strong conjurers would have a higher likelihood of producing Padjals, as we can see with the Senna family.

RE: Padjals upbringing? - Valence - 12-15-2015

Yes, I understand that they are not a race, and mostly hyur (confirmation that it's not only hyur now, correct?)..
So, if they do not grow horn at birth, and so are not chosen directly at birth by being gifted like little jedi would be with the Force, then when are they chosen by elementals? It can happen anytime? And that before they get too old, right, so that they keep their children bodies?

RE: Padjals upbringing? - Kage - 12-15-2015

Fernehalwes at http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/61317-Padjal-Naming-Conventions Wrote:There was also a question about how a Padjal gets their name (considering they start off as Hyur).

There are several old Hyur families in Gridania which consistently (albeit rarely) produce Padjals. Those include the Senna, the Yan, and the Pesi families. (Note the family names still possess the Padjali linguistic roots).

When a baby is born to one of these families, he or she is given a "normal" Hyur name, as is the custom (i.e. Bryce Senna).

When it is learned that the child is a Padjal, they are given a new first name based off the ancient Padjali tongue, and accepted into Stillglade Fane for their indoctrination.

We mention Elezen because of A-Towa-Cant, who looks Elezen.
[Image: 2013-11-27-whm-final-11.jpg]

Look it the ears!
[Image: bKICRS4.png]

But
[Image: 817.jpg]
[Image: c94f76701618bca4c66d8361ad7ada1876340149.jpg]
[Image: 500px-Raya-O-Senna_and_A-Ruhn-Senna.jpg]

RE: Padjals upbringing? - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-15-2015

(12-15-2015, 04:19 PM)Valence Wrote: Yes, I understand that they are not a race, and mostly hyur (confirmation that it's not only hyur now, correct?)..
So, if they do not grow horn at birth, and so are not chosen directly at birth by being gifted like little jedi would be with the Force, then when are they chosen by elementals? It can happen anytime? And that before they get too old, right, so that they keep their children bodies?

The basic gist is that the Elementals pick a child to be a Padjal. That's it. There's otherwise nothing physically special or unique about the child, besides being an extraordinary Hearer. All we know is that Padjal become Padjal before maturing. That's why Kan-E Senna had to use magic to make herself appear older to be taken seriously. (These are like 12 year old kids here. Maybe 14 if you want to push it.) it's not like the Elementals are only picking kids with blonde hair or who had names that started with the letter B before they pick a traditional Padjal name or something.

RE: Padjals upbringing? - Sounsyy - 12-15-2015

(12-15-2015, 04:06 PM)Valence Wrote: The question I am trying to figure out currently is how does it manifests itself for the first time? Do padjals are all born with horns visible as toddlers? When are people able to tell they are not only hearers, but also blessed with the padjal abilities (not counting horns, but it's related)?

Padjal are born as their parent's race, only instead of hitting puberty at a certain age, Padjal don't. They begin to develop horns instead. The new Padjal would cease to age physically and instead their age is measured by the length of their horns. Most Padjal we have met in game are Hyuran, but 2.0 introduced a Duskwight-looking Elezen Padjal named A-Towa-Cant. So far we know of seven Padjali families: Senna, Yan, Pesi, Cant, Inik, Mena, and Por. This is not to say that these families always birth Padjal children, but that these families have or more commonly produce Padjal children.

Fernehalwes Wrote:There was also a question about how a Padjal gets their name (considering they start off as Hyur).

There are several old Hyur families in Gridania which consistently (albeit rarely) produce Padjals. Those include the Senna, the Yan, and the Pesi families. (Note the family names still possess the Padjali linguistic roots).

When a baby is born to one of these families, he or she is given a "normal" Hyur name, as is the custom (i.e. Bryce Senna).

When it is learned that the child is a Padjal, they are given a new first name based off the ancient Padjali tongue, and accepted into Stillglade Fane for their indoctrination.

Wispily Bearded Woodworker Wrote:In Gridania, there are those blessed by the forest. They are known as the Padjal. The touch of the elementals causes horns to sprout from their heads. They are ageless children, fluent in the tongue of the forest. It is the stuff of faerie tales, no?

Order of the Twin Adder Wrote:Eldest of three siblings of Padjali ancestry, Kan-E serves as head of the Seedseer Council─the central governing body presiding over affairs within the city-state of Gridania. As is common amongst those born of the prestigious Senna line, Kan-E was blessed by the Twelve with the gift of prophecy, her visions hauntingly clear and detailed. Before reaching her sixth nameday, she had already predicted a devastating fire and a locust infestation, earning her remarkably early admission to Stillglade Fane. After becoming a Sister of the Twelveswood, it was not long before she had risen to Elder Seedseer and left Gridania to live in the forest with her siblings, where she served the city-state by communing with the elementals, maintaining the delicate balance betwixt man and nature.

Fanfest Wrote:Q: How old is Kan-E-Senna? Why is she the only adult looking Padjal?

MCKF: Her age is- and I wrote this down - she is in her late twenties. But again, that's her spiritual age. As you know, the Padjal all physically stop growing at about 10-11 years old. That's why they all look like children. But they live full lives so you'll have people who look like children but are actually 40, 50, 60 years old. In the case of Kan-E-Senna - and up until the end of 1.0 it was E-Sumi-Yan that was the Elder Seedseer that was in control of Gridania, but when the Grand Companies came out, Kan-E-Senna, who was in the forest communing with the Elementals at that time, came back to take over the Grand Company.

The thing is in the other city-states you have Merlwyb, y'know kickass, and in Ul'dah you have Nanamo who is Seventeenth in her line, you got Raubahn who's like rrrrrrrrrrr! And so you have these really strong leaders in the other city-states and then here... Y'know people in Gridania understand that their Elder Seedseers are really powerful but for the rest of people they're like 'that's just a kid you can't take these people seriously' and so again, her making herself appear older is to present herself to the people of the other nations so they will take her seriously. She's basically making herself look older than she really is so people will take her seriously. Spiritually she's in her late twenties. Physically in her early teens.

(12-15-2015, 04:20 PM)Kage Wrote: Look it the ears!
[Image: bKICRS4.png]

But
[Image: 817.jpg]
[Image: c94f76701618bca4c66d8361ad7ada1876340149.jpg]
[Image: 500px-Raya-O-Senna_and_A-Ruhn-Senna.jpg]

WELP.

So, I was actually reading a theory on the union between Hyur and Elezen in Gelmorran times way back when. Here's the full post by Tinolqa for those curious. Essentially, it theorizes that the union between Gelmorra's Hyur and Elezen may have been... well... a literal union. That is why only select families seem to produce Padjal even 500 years later. It may be because those specific families contain both Hyuran and Elezen blood - hence the pointy ears. Padjal are all offspring of mixed race Gelmorrans.

I want to clarify that this is unproven speculation, but it has an interesting basis. It is said that the elementals blessed the first conjurers and turned their children to Padjal. What if... the reason the elementals blessed them was that they favored the interracial couples who sought peace when the rest of Eorzea was plunged into violent race wars? That the families weren't just chosen at random, it was because they were mixed.

I sorta just thought the ears were a Padjal thing, like the horns. And that A-Towa-Cant has the color cause well dead.

(12-15-2015, 05:34 PM)Kage Wrote: I sorta just thought the ears were a Padjal thing, like the horns. And that A-Towa-Cant has the color cause well dead.

It's a possibility, but why would a ghost with no corporeal form have drained skin color. Especially when you consider that no other ghosts in the setting follow this trend either. Edda and Louisoix both retain their natural skin tones.

[Image: YlViOWT.jpg]
[Image: wpimg20.jpg?w=984]

RE: Padjals upbringing? - Valence - 12-15-2015

Ah I see, so they grow horns instead of adulthood, and otherwise are chosen when being children. Probably rather young considering E-Ruhn Senna's age..

Interesting theory on their race of origin.

(12-15-2015, 05:49 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(12-15-2015, 05:34 PM)Kage Wrote: I sorta just thought the ears were a Padjal thing, like the horns. And that A-Towa-Cant has the color cause well dead.

It's a possibility, but why would a ghost with no corporeal form have drained skin color. Especially when you consider that no other ghosts in the setting follow this trend either. Edda and Louisoix both retain their natural skin tones.

[Image: YlViOWT.jpg]
[Image: wpimg20.jpg?w=984]

I THINK IT IS TIME FOR ME TO ASK THE LORE BOARD

Do hyur get that pale zombie like color?