Hydaelyn Role-Players
Anima Weapons and You: A Guide for Killing Yourself Again - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Anima Weapons and You: A Guide for Killing Yourself Again (/showthread.php?tid=14636)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Anima Weapons and You: A Guide for Killing Yourself Again - Warren Castille - 12-16-2015

Patch 3.15 ushered in the new Relic Weapon quests, and man are they a doozy. This is a guide intended to help people get started.

An Unexpected Proposal
The quest begins in Idyllshire, where a chat with Rowena will clue you into the new situation. After the cutscene, rendezvous with Gerolt in Azys Lla. He'll direct you to Mor Dhona, where the pain will begin.

Soul Without Life
You need an Astral Nodule and an Umbral Nodule to continue the quest. Your new friend Syndony has what you need, but she needs a few things first. Crystals, namely. Very rare, very specific crystals. Crystals that only come from completing FATEs in Heavensward zones at a low rate. Eighteen of them. No, they're not at all related to these "atma" things, what are you talking about? Anyway, you'll need:

3 Luminous Wind Crystals from the Sea of Clouds
3 Luminous Fire Crystals from Azys Lla
3 Luminous Lightning Crystals from Churning Mists
3 Luminous Ice Crystals from Coerthas West
3 Luminous Earth Crystals from the Dravanian Forelands
3 Luminous Water Crystals from the Dravanian Hinterlands

If you happen to have a Zeta weapon from the previous chain, this is where your advantage comes in. Syndony will happily use that instead, but you will actually lose your weapon if you trade it in! They warn you three times. Yes, it will still hurt.

Once you've got your nodules, you can return to Gerolt. You're rewarded with a very impressive item level 170 weapon that's identical in appearance to the esoterics weapon. Hey, what gives?

Toughening Up
Gerolt suggests again that you start slapping things with your weapon to make it resonate harder, better and faster. Why not go busy yourself and see what comes of it? It's dungeon time! You'll be sent to the following places:

Snowcloak!
Sastasha Hard Mode!
Qarn Hard Mode!
Keeper of the Lake!
Wanderer's Palace Hard Mode!
Ampador Keep Hard mode!
Dusk Vigil!
Sohm Al!
The Aery!
The Vault!

You have to have your weapon equipped when you finish the dungeon and the level 50 versions can be done unsynced. The Heavensward Dungeons cannot be done unsynched, so strap in.

When you're done, you'll get some dialogue with your new friend and then you're prompted to return to Gerolt. Doing so will nab you a (Weapon) Awoken, an item level 200 weapon that cannot be dyed, but has a nifty new glow! Wait a minute, though, that's still not a relic weapon!

Coming Into Its Own
Gerolt points you to a new friend in Mor Dhona who can get you the goods to make your weapon into an actual i210 piece of equipment. You're not going to like it very much, though. She has what you need, but she's not interested in selling. She wants to barter. Welcome to the grind. First rule: No shortcuts. You'll need

Enchanted Rubber
Fast-Drying Carboncoat
Fast-Acting Allagan Catalyst
Divine Water

but in order to get those, she wants

20 Unidentified Seeds
20 Unidentified Shells
20 Unidentified Ore
20 Unidentified Bones

4 HQ Dispelling Arrows
4 HQ Adamantite Francescas
4 HQ Titanium Alloy Mirrors
4 HQ Kingscakes

...hoo boy. Let's break that down. Unidentified Items are the new hotness, and they only come from a few locations:

Purchased for 1000 Allied Seals (from the OG hunts)
Purchased for 680 Law (Ore and Bones only)
Purchased for 680 Poetics (Shells and Seeds only)
Purchased for 10 Precision <Items> that drop in Alexander wings (once per KILL, not a lotted item)
Purchased for 18 Vanu Whitebones (New items that come from your Vanu dailies)
Purchased for 13 <Beastman Daily Items>. Each faction has their own reward for completing the 3 highest-tier dailies in the form of one new token. Thirteen tokens gets you an item.

Amal'jaa : Unidentified Bones
Kobold: Unidentified Ore
Sahagin: Unidentified Shell
Sylph: Unidentified Seeds
Ixal: No rewards!
Vanu: Any unidentified item

You're able to run 12 dailies a day, so you can get one item from the Vanu every 6 days and one from the other factions every five days.

This is a slow burn, folks. Don't make yourself hate the game by pushing hard to grind! You can just do a little every day to make progress. At a relaxed pace of just doing roulettes and dailies without extra work, you can knock it out in a month or so.

Will update as I clarify information!

Edit: Updated Sylph rewards, thanks Sounsyy!

STEALTH PATCH 3.25: THE EMBIGGENING

So! You've ground yourself to a nub accumulating currencies and tokens and trading them for nonsense just in time to render your weapon obsolete. What comes next? Well, Patch 3.25 has you covered! Now, a mere week away from being able to purchase an i230 Hellfire/Torrent/Otherthings weapon with your hard-earned Alexander tokens, Square Enix is spitting in your eye with the ability to upgrade your relic to an i230, no-materia-slot-enabled glowstick!

Returning to Gerolt in Azys Lla will allow you to pick up the next quest, "Finding Your Voice." A brief cutscene informs you that you need to collect five bottles of Aetherial Oil. No, they don't tell you where to obtain it. Fortunately, this was discovered fairly quickly.

*Purchased for 1800 Esoterics in Idleshire.
*Received as a reward for completing the CT/ST/WoD weekly quest

Your options are to grind tomes, or to take 5 weeks collecting jars. As mentioned, if you've been clearing Alex 8 every week you should already be one week away from the token portion of the Lore weapon. Oh, and those Alex weapons have materia slots in them.

Thanks, SE!

RE: Animus Weapons and You: A Guide for Killing Yourself Again - MBajihri - 12-16-2015

Adding here that Hunts and Alex are pretty viable time-wise. Hunts reward Allied / Law / Poe, and Alexander if you DF can result in a new player (more Law) as well as Law + Currency. Daily roulettes are an obvious benefit, but those two stand out for me as things that you can do with moderation that won't cause you to quit the game in frustration!

RE: Animus Weapons and You: A Guide for Killing Yourself Again - Trigonxv - 12-16-2015

Damn glad I can skip that first step, the final honestly does not sound all that bad but if you have to do the first step then def sounds nightmarish

RE: Animus Weapons and You: A Guide for Killing Yourself Again - Sig - 12-16-2015

And always remember in your epic quest for PVE glory that all the time grinding could be directed towards delicious RP content.  The grind can always wait.

RE: Animus Weapons and You: A Guide for Killing Yourself Again - Ashe - 12-16-2015

Out of curiosity...
Would it be easier to finish a zeta weapon than farm those crystals at this point?

RE: Animus Weapons and You: A Guide for Killing Yourself Again - Oli! - 12-16-2015

...Hot button topic incoming, but after reading all of this stuff, does anyone else think this new quest chain sounds unfun and awful?

RE: Animus Weapons and You: A Guide for Killing Yourself Again - Moonlit - 12-16-2015

(12-16-2015, 04:36 PM)Ashe Wrote: Out of curiosity...
Would it be easier to finish a zeta weapon than farm those crystals at this point?

Hit or miss. It depends how far in your zeta you are (as there's atma farming in this, too). It's a lot of RNGesus. So one way or another you need to pray to your lord and savior. . .

. . .And even then he'll probably hate you.

RE: Animus Weapons and You: A Guide for Killing Yourself Again - Ashe - 12-16-2015

(12-16-2015, 04:37 PM)Moonlit Wrote:

Hit or miss. It depends how far in your zeta you are (as there's atma farming in this, too). It's a lot of RNGesus. So one way or another you need to pray to your lord and savior. . .

. . .And even then he'll probably hate you.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I didn't do the atma farming....
I had 130 augmented and then final coil weapons later...so I didn't see the point
hrmmmmmmmmm
Argh I donno.
Well, I leave the country for two weeks tomorrow and won't be able to deal with this anyways...so fuck me I guess haha

RE: Animus Weapons and You: A Guide for Killing Yourself Again - Warren Castille - 12-16-2015

(12-16-2015, 04:37 PM)Oli! Wrote: ...Hot button topic incoming, but after reading all of this stuff, does anyone else think this new quest chain sounds unfun and awful?

The most disappointing part of it for me is that there's no reason for you to do this shit. You're literally doing dungeons, exiting, and reflagging. That's not to say the original quest had a whole ton of good story, but they at least explain why you need atma and Alexandrite. Reading through the quest log to get the locations in the right order, they half-ass in a bunch of "You sat in the belly of Sastasha and wanted to be someplace warm. Why not Qarn?!" kind of shitty leaps of logic to explain why you're doing everywhere.

This is basically all chores with no dressing.

RE: Animus Weapons and You: A Guide for Killing Yourself Again - Moonlit - 12-16-2015

(12-16-2015, 04:53 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(12-16-2015, 04:37 PM)Oli! Wrote: ...Hot button topic incoming, but after reading all of this stuff, does anyone else think this new quest chain sounds unfun and awful?

The most disappointing part of it for me is that there's no reason for you to do this shit. You're literally doing dungeons, exiting, and reflagging. That's not to say the original quest had a whole ton of good story, but they at least explain why you need atma and Alexandrite. Reading through the quest log to get the locations in the right order, they half-ass in a bunch of "You sat in the belly of Sastasha and wanted to be someplace warm. Why not Qarn?!" kind of shitty leaps of logic to explain why you're doing everywhere.

This is basically all chores with no dressing.

I'm interested in the overall story (I mean, I like soul weapons) but the little "in between" bits -- as Warren pointed out -- feel forced to me.

RE: Animus Weapons and You: A Guide for Killing Yourself Again - McBeefâ„¢ - 12-16-2015

Yeah this seems pretty lame. 

You can tell they're trying to play catch-up since they were so late in getting it out the door. I wonder why it took them so long, there is nothing special going on here.

At least the original had all the cool stuff with the sphere scrolls and the books. I thought it was kind of neat. 

This is sort of a blatant grindfest to make people play the game longer until they can put out new content. 

Blegh.

RE: Animus Weapons and You: A Guide for Killing Yourself Again - Cailean Lockwood - 12-16-2015

Yeah, so... I'm not gonna do that.

RE: Animus Weapons and You: A Guide for Killing Yourself Again - Coatleque - 12-16-2015

From what I heard this morning by someone already grinding, the drop rate from FATEs is considerably higher than the original Atma grind was. 6 were obtained in the span of an hour.

I would say no, it's not worth finishing Zeta just to skip.

RE: Animus Weapons and You: A Guide for Killing Yourself Again - McBeefâ„¢ - 12-16-2015

Getting more and more disappointed with how Square Enix seems to be dropping the ball on these things. 

Everything has been really disjointed since the 3.0 launch, and they seem to be throwing away a lot of their good ideas and doubling down on their bad ones. 

Oh well. Maybe 3.2 will be better.

(12-16-2015, 05:18 PM)Coatleque Wrote:

From what I heard this morning by someone already grinding, the drop rate from FATEs is considerably higher than the original Atma grind was.  6 were obtained in the span of an hour.

I would say no, it's not worth finishing Zeta just to skip.
Mmkay o7 Thanks for letting me know <3