Hydaelyn Role-Players
Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! (/showthread.php?tid=14651)

Pages: 1 2 3

Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - Naoh'ra - 12-17-2015

So I've been using this in RP for a long, long long long long time and I've developed it quite a bit, so I figured I would make a post sharing the details and everything you need to know about forehead booping in miqo'te culture from a headcanon perspective, that could potentially fit in the lore to an extent (or not, but I think it does)

To start, a forehead boop is similar to that of any genture of physical contact between humans, such as hugs, hand shakes, pats on the back, and the like. There are many different kinds of boops that all differ in meaning depending on how it's done and what happens before and after the actual touch happens! 

The 'hello and goodbye' boop, similar to a hand shake!
When greeting a friend, a short, very brief and gentle knock to the foreheads can be a proper greeting. Typically done with the eyes closed, this boop means 'hello! I trust you, and I'm showing you respect!'. There is no 'dominant or submissive' within any of these forehead touches, as it's a simple greeting. 
When saying goodbye it would be the same brief forehead knocking, and possibly a wish of good travel and safety along the way!

The challenge boop.
Miqo'te, especially seeker males about to battle for nunhship may use this more often than others, however it is not exclusive to just them and anyone can use this to initiate a challenge. 
The two would place a hand at the back of each others neck to draw them in, press foreheads together and look into each  others eyes, and push their opponent back. This is to say 'I respect you, and I trust you won't break my neck while we're this close and holding the necks, but I am challenging you and you better be ready."

The close friends boop! 
Similar to one of greeting, this one involves closed eyes and a longer touch of foreheads and smiles. It is to show love, respect and trust much the same, but also serve as a much warmer hello or goodbye with scent marking due to being so close.

The lovers boop!
This is the one that lasts the longest and must have the eyes closed at all times. Hands can be placed on either the cheeks or back of the neck to bring the other in, and typically the two hold each other there for quite a while in comparison to the other touches of the forehead. They may even have a conversation or share I love you's while still together like this.

Forehead kisses!
Now these are the special kisses, shared by only the strongest love bonds of romance, or parental love for a child. ONLY the parents of the child may kiss the childs forehead, otherwise it may come as an insult for another adult to do so to someone's child (unless that child was adopted under that adult, in which case they would be considered family and it would not be insulting). 

Speaking of insults. 
To touch the forehead in any way other than with your own or your lips in some cases, would be a huge insult to the person on the receiving end. This of it like any equal to flipping someone off or outright disrespecting them.

Say, you flick or slap or hit someone in the forehead. You're basically saying 'I dislike you' 'fuck off' 'you're worthless' 'I don't trust or care for you at all and you can go to hell!'

Between siblings this might happen and be taken much more lightly, however outside of harmless family feuds this may be a huge insult and would not be taken lightly. 

Back to boops!

A shoulder boop!

Pressing ones forehead into a friends shoulder and giving a light push would be a comforting action, much like a pat on the back and a 'you'll be fine', or a 'I'm here to support you', or even a 'ahhh buck up it's no big deal you got this' depending on the context and what the booper says afterward.

I came up with this headcanon and developed it like so based on lions nuzzling habits for claiming and scent marking! 

Over time, I've come to think that miqo'te foreheads would be somewhat of a special area of the body connecting them to their god, or, to their inner minds and spirituality as a whole. This is up for debate and what the forehead could mean for your own miqo'te! It could mean nothing and just be a cultural habit like handshaking is in western culture and bowing is seen in some eastern culture!

This is all up for your own interpretation, and you can use it as you like in your own RP! I use it all the time and it has really developed a culture and quirk I can use to round out my character and make him distinctively miqo'te outside of the tail and ears! 

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy, and if you have any further idea's please feel free to post here as well! I would love to hear if any of these inspired other types of forehead boops and what they could possibly mean so that myself and others may use them in our own RPs!!

Thanks!

RE: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - AvalonBright - 12-17-2015

First off I just want to say I freaking love this. It's adorable but well thought out and super detailed! As far as
Quote:This is up for debate and what the forehead could mean for your own miqo'te! It could mean nothing and just be a cultural habit like handshaking is in western culture and bowing is seen in some eastern culture!
goes, I definitely didn't get any spiritual vibe. When I was reading through this I just simply thought of how cats actually behave irl, always nuzzling against each other's head in similar manner. It may be a bit of a cop-out to say "Oh it's just normal feline behavior", but nonetheless it fits!

RE: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - Lost River - 12-17-2015

Aww, Miqo'te get some of the cutest head-canon. Sadly we Roe end up getting the "We drink so hard and fight, then we have marriage or something".

RE: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - Roe Dad - 12-17-2015

(12-17-2015, 11:40 PM)Lost River Wrote: Aww, Miqo'te get some of the cutest head-canon. Sadly we Roe end up getting the "We drink so hard and fight, then we have marriage or something".
This is true.

RE: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - Edgar - 12-17-2015

(12-17-2015, 11:40 PM)Lost River Wrote: Aww, Miqo'te get some of the cutest head-canon. Sadly we Roe end up getting the "We drink so hard and fight, then we have marriage or something".

And the whole damn time Edgar is off in the bar corner pretending to stare at his book and not that ass.

RE: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - Naoh'ra - 12-17-2015

I could try and roe headcanons!!

RE: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - Aera - 12-17-2015

You've put a lot of thought into it and I like the cultural significance of each of the different boops! I feel like it would take a lot of practice to get right though... I've booped people IRL and it seems more often than not we end up with sore noggins!

RE: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - Naoh'ra - 12-18-2015

(12-17-2015, 11:52 PM)Aera Wrote: You've put a lot of thought into it and I like the cultural significance of each of the different boops! I feel like it would take a lot of practice to get right though... I've booped people IRL and it seems more often than not we end up with sore noggins!
LOL imagine baby miqo'te trying to imitate their parents by booping each other but they go too hard and end up fighting each other! 

It would definitely be a lot of practice to get good at it, and everyone would boop differently but it's the thought that counts. Like you know when you give someone a hand shake and they squeeze a liiiiiittle too hard? maybe like that lmao

RE: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - Virella - 12-18-2015

Oh c'mon, roes can have awesome ones as well! I'd always saw them as very psychical people, slapping each other on the back ect as greeting ect! And then proceeding to almost on accident knock over their non roe friends by the sheer force Big Grin

RE: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - TheLastCandle - 12-18-2015

(12-18-2015, 12:06 AM)Virella Wrote:
Oh c'mon, roes can have awesome ones as well! I'd always saw them as very psychical people, slapping each other on the back ect as greeting ect! And then proceeding to almost on accident knock over their non roe friends by the sheer force Big Grin
Elezen can has headcanon, too.

*Bellows out a challenge before ramming his neck into Virella's with a fleshy thud in defense of his territory*

RE: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - Lost River - 12-18-2015

"Great, all Roes are now Broes." *sighs and hides in her corner, weeping into her tea*

RE: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - Pascaleret - 12-18-2015

(12-18-2015, 12:58 AM)TheLastCandle Wrote:
(12-18-2015, 12:06 AM)Virella Wrote:
Elezen can has headcanon, too.

*Bellows out a challenge before ramming his neck into Virella's with a fleshy thud in defense of his territory*

Elezen feet are the size of a dinner place with a diameter of 30cm.
Elezen tongues are bluish-purple and between 45 - 50cm long.
The Elezen is the tallest race on Hydalen. Even newborn Elezen are taller than most Hyur.
Female Elezen give birth standing up. Their young fall about 2m to the ground and can stand up within an hour of birth.
About 50% of all Elezen chidren do not survive their first year (probably due to that 2m drop).
An Elezen's neck is too short to reach the ground. As a result, they have to awkwardly spread their legs or kneel to reach the ground for a drink of water.
Elezen only need to drink once every few days. Most of their water comes from all the plants they eat.
To protect an Elezen’s brain from sudden changes in blood pressure when they lower their head to drink, they have valves to stop the back-flow of blood and elastic-walled vessels that dilate and constrict to manage flow. Garlemald has done research on the blood vessels in Elezen legs to get inspiration for space suits. (Moon raid 3.3, please look forward to it)
An Elezen's heart weighs approx. 11kg and is the biggest of any race. It is used to pump 60 litres of blood around its body every minute at a blood pressure twice that of an average Hyur.

RE: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - Warren Castille - 12-18-2015

Miqo'te aren't actually cats.

RE: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - Teadrinker - 12-18-2015

My miqote would probably treat another that did this like a weirdo. Or at the very least like 'Hey, could you not further the sterotype? Thanks.'

She also hates being called 'kitten' and 'cat' ergo compairing her to a household feline. She views them as racial slurs. I think people oocly think it's cute so it tends to get glossed over.

This is my opinion.

RE: Miqo'te headcanon: Forehead booping! - Vyce - 12-18-2015

(12-18-2015, 09:20 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Miqo'te aren't actually cats.

Yeah...

The whole reason so many heavy RPers avoid rolling Miqote is because there is an enormous issue of people playing them as housecats. It's sad, because Miqote's have the most detailed lore available yet so much of it is ignored by the people that play them.

Many (but not all) of us who are dedicated to preserving what makes each race unique as written avoid playing an otherwise excellent race. I personally don't want to be associated with a style of Roleplay that could undermine my ability to be a skilled writer within the constraints of the given world. Some are brave enough to play the race anyway, and I envy them.

I don't like the fact that the biggest derogatory remarks going around right now are "Quicksand" and "catboy", and I wish the behavior associated with those remarks would disappear.