Hydaelyn Role-Players
Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater (/showthread.php?tid=14677)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - RiniKett - 04-29-2016

(04-29-2016, 05:02 PM)Knahli Wrote: That my character is too boring for anyone to ICly or OOCly find any interest in speaking to her for any extended period of time.

I've met a few people who feel this way, and the very ones who say it are the ones I enjoy RPing with the most. It's have to have confidence sometimes, but I find when you lose your fight that your friends remind you of your worth. Still, I'd love to RP with you sometime even if it's just a normal, random conversation in Ul'dah.

(04-29-2016, 04:55 PM)Lutra Wrote: I guess I will put myself out here a little bit. Who knows, maybe it'll help? :3

In terms of roleplay, I fear the spotlight. It's silly, really, just how paranoid and overthink-y I get when it comes to my characters doing something that some might see as showing off or being an attention hog. It has actually gotten so bad that I have almost lost my interest in roleplay altogether the past year or so. I have been fighting desperately to set up other things for my FC to do, along with attempting to participate in others' plots, only to find myself often giving up for lack of motivation. 

It's essentially like I've phased myself out due to my own fear. I've done what I've told countless of my members NOT to do--and that is get too invested in what others may or may not think of my characters or roleplay. I'm not involved in anyone's side stories, in my FC or elsewhere, and it is not due to other people's fault--in this regard it's purely in my head.

Sure, I've had bad RP experiences, just like probably everyone else here. Plots going awry, OOC feelings getting hurt for IC reasons--it happens and I move through it. I'm not particularly burned in one way or another. It's just this constant, creeping feeling that what I am doing/writing is pissing someone off IRL in some way.

As such, I am trying to get back out there, both with Rhesh'ir and my alt, The Wasp. It's difficult to overcome, even though I have sort of isolated the problem.

It sounds like you know the answer and what you need to do, but you are afraid you will fail. Is it because something specific happened? I know I've felt that way when someone I trusted turned out to be fake or I felt betrayed. It can shake your foundation and next thing you know you are questioning yourself.

The only real advice I can give is that there are countless different people in the world. And all of them are going to act different. At the end of the day, you have to sleep with what you've done and what you are responsible for. What's right might not always be popular or easier, but you feel better about yourself. I'm kind of shooting in the dark here because Idk what brought you to this, but I know your struggle. When it gets bad I just take a few days and then come up with another concept. I'm sorry that this might not help too much, but if anything you are around people who care and would like to help.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Seriphyn - 04-29-2016

The past three years (i.e. my entire time in FFXIV) has been a huge period of growth and maturity for me as a young adult, from being an aimless university graduate dealing with issues of companionship and insecurity to military man now with a much greater sense of life direction.

Sometimes, however, I do fear my in-game OOC "bad behaviour" (particularly in 2014 I'd say) has lingered and tainted my name. Not in all quarters, because I still get RP and get to do content with acquaintances and friends alike. I invested far too much into FFXIV, to an unhealthy degree, and now that my RL is in order (to include having a career and significant other), I feel far less of a need to treat FFXIV as an emotional crutch. That's why I'm not on so often anymore, but I do hope I can find RP and friends when I want to!

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - lunoc - 04-30-2016

I haven't really started solidifying my character as an RP character yet and to be honest I have no idea what to do. I have a pretty basic low-angst backstory with a family that lives outside of Eorzea and isn't really relevant currently. Lunoc is just a simple adventurer looking to do some good in the world. I kinda want to build him up as I go, but I'm worried I'm not really gonna be able to come up with anything interesting once I get into it.

I still have like 2 and a half weeks before I get back into the game to think about it I guess.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Lutka - 04-30-2016

My insecurity is the whole "is this person cool to RP with on first glance?". Yes, my character's name isn't to lore standards but that's because it's not her real name, it's done on purpose (even if the meaning is lore friendly) and I get worried that people see my character and buy a ticket for the nope bus to nopeville because they'll assume I'm a bad roleplayer. Sure my writing sucks sometimes (with hilarious typos like "poop" instead of "poof" and "shit" instead of "shirt") but I'm not that bad, or at least that's what I'm getting the feeling of since people roleplay with me and I'm not being avoided. 

First impressions kill me sometimes, in short.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Sigil.9054 - 05-13-2016

I always worry about coming off as a Mary Sue.

Even when my characters start off perfectly balanced (I assume), I feel like they start drifting towards Mary Sue-ism. Even when they're not, I worry that people will hear the character talking IC, and think they're a Sue, when it's just IC exaggeration of something, and not what actually happened.

On that note, I also worry about how people interpret when I have a character that's purposefully wrong in some matter. I might, for example, have a character that thinks she's a magic-casting Garlean. But, in truth, she's not a Garlean, she just thinks she is. I worry that people won't consider that possibility, and just assume I don't know my lore.

And speaking of, I *constantly* worry that I'm making a lore mistake, but people are just dismissing me instead of pulling me aside and letting me know what's up.

*huff*

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Eses Fafa - 05-13-2016

I have a pretty overpowered character that I use to my fullest within my FC, but when it comes to the public community, I nerf the everloving heck out of her to make sure I'm as lore-friendly as possible at first impression.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Kismet - 05-18-2016

I mostly worry about being too much of... anything. Too OP, too silly, too dramatic, too talkative, too proactive/pushy, too shy, too grumpy, too broody, too edgy, etc. etc. Which I guess boils down to being worried about coming off as a Mary Sue.

I also worry that I might be making things too much about myself and my characters sometimes. I constantly ask myself "is this plot dumb?" and "does anyone other than me care?"

Cry

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Derek - 05-23-2016

My character sometimes comes off as a Gary Stu every time I look back at his wiki. All of his abilities are over-the-top most of the time and I feel he won't mix well with other groups for long. Thus it kills my motivation to make new stories for him because it'll turn out like a typical shonen anime. He'll keep getting stronger and more unrealistic until eventually he becomes a God.

Perhaps my kid side is still around... I don't know... Perhaps it's paranoia.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Caspar - 05-24-2016

(05-18-2016, 08:34 PM)Kismet Wrote: I mostly worry about being too much of... anything. Too OP, too silly, too dramatic, too talkative, too proactive/pushy, too shy, too grumpy, too broody, too edgy, etc. etc. Which I guess boils down to being worried about coming off as a Mary Sue.

I also worry that I might be making things too much about myself and my characters sometimes. I constantly ask myself "is this plot dumb?" and "does anyone other than me care?"

Cry
I think I feel something like that from time to time. I should probably not worry as much as I do about what I've written once it's out. I'm not a professional yet and I'm doing this for fun. Still, I do want to make sure that things make sense, are relevant to my character without making her the center of attention all the time, but also matter to other players in a way that's interesting to them. "Can I get others to care" is a good thing to be thinking about, but I figure after a certain point, at least in my case, I feel happier acting on it before I think too much and get too paranoid.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Ritsu - 05-27-2016

I think I worry about being boring the most.

Ritsu is on the quiet side so she doesn't always have the most to say. She is also a little OP in my mind thru various RP. But hey, it has made for some interest plots, so I guess it is fine. Plus she tends to be on the mysterious side, so only people who know her best know a lot about it. I also tend to write short more often than not.

Chidori is more out going however, she talks in third person/names. So I could def. see that as annoying. She doesn't talk broken..exactly, but she isn't the best in constructing a sentence. I am hoping as she grows, she will be taught more or pick up as she goes.

My other alts are of a more dickish nature. One is totally OP, but I use her as a villain for my FC mostly. I try to balance her as she can take a beating, but isn't the strongest or most skillful. Then my other is a civilian for the most part, just a brat. Then I have a fifth...that I am not sure what to do with. She had a plot, but it kind of fell apart so going to have to rework her story a bit. Or just keep as is without certain characters with her.

I have too many alts >.>;;

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Tara - 05-29-2016

Does a half pint character come off as too annoying? Too sarcastic? Too goofy/cheerful? She teases people she likes but does she do it too much? She's genre savvy because of her background, do I make her too perceptive? Do people think she's boring, trying to hard, obsessive, or weird? 

For my other: Is her being Sharlayan putting people off rping with her? Is she too sassy? Too sassy is better than being a doormat with the emotions mild and anxious, right? Does she sound like a dictionary? She's a scholar so she's really smart but I do my best to keep my vocabulary so that people can understand her.

For me: Do I come off as too sarcastic, annoying, weird or trying too hard oocly? I like talking with people but what if I'm just being a nuisance and no-one's telling me? Do I type too slowly in a scene? Are my posts too small because of that? And when I do post a paragraph post is it too long?

Cry Anxiety sucks.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Kellach Woods - 05-29-2016

Plenty of Sharlayan people around.

I often make a remark that their library is full of voidsent because i do not like their arrogance.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Zhu - 06-13-2016

My biggest insecurity is being judged. That's why I avoid judging others because I know how much it sucks to feel like that. Over a dumb game nonetheless.

Before playing in FFXIV I used to RP in a very insular community and the slightest slip could get you harassed. The FF community is much more friendly and open minded, but I am still on my toes about a lot of things and interacting with others can be difficult at first.

Or maybe it's not in the lore but just what I do (people saying they don't like [thing] therefore I am bad), who I talk to, where I RP etc. I have learned that no matter who you are and what you do, there will always be haters either for reasons or none whatsoever. It could be that you once trusted those haters.

So I am trying to ignore these things and do what I enjoy, but I will always worry about other people having fun with me and sometimes the smallest compliment is all it takes to make all these bad thoughts go away.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Serenity - 06-13-2016

My fear is that my character is too boring, or that people will mistake hoe she acts for how I am OOC. I know that most players are sick of the kinds of RP I'm interested in so I just happen to feel a little bit self conscious about asking for my main hooks of people.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Raeje - 06-14-2016

I love Raeje. She's far from boring. She's quirky and weird. She's a big personality on stage, yet an awkward, unusual one off stage, who hides behind her flamboyant clothes and verbal diarrhea.

My big insecurity is that I really don't ever get close enough to one specific person to have a regular RP partner. I love being part of events, going to social things, doing shows, being involved in meetings and throwing in my IC two cents, but I just can't seem to get to know people well enough to get to that point where I say "Hey, lets do some one on one RP." It's always the same. It's the same in every game. It's the same in forum RP. I've probably had a maximum of maybe 2 RP 'partners in my probably about 15-17 years of RP experience. I'm more of a group RP person. That's fine and dandy, but I do actually want some one on one RP here and there. 

Specifically, I'd like for Raeje to do some skits with a partner at the Gilded Pony cabaret's but I have this insecurity that people won't want to do one on one with me, and will say no. That's why I mostly stick to poetry, even though I have a couple of short plays written out.

But that's about it as far as insecurities. It's a pretty major one, I know, but it doesn't stop me from playing successfully.