Hydaelyn Role-Players
Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater (/showthread.php?tid=14677)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Lydia Lightfoot - 12-22-2015

(12-22-2015, 04:11 AM)Solenne Wrote: On a completely unrelated note, I'm now slightly paranoid because one of my characters recently got OOCly rejected by someone whose character was romantically interested in her. His reason? He found out that I don't ERP. Now, I don't have anything against ERP - I want to make that perfectly clear. I just avoid it for personal reasons. But now I'm wondering, do I not write interesting characters? Are they not complex enough, not dynamic enough, to be worth pursuing for their own sake? Ugh... this is why romantic RP is such a minefield, and why I usually don't actively pursue it.

Unfortunately, even in real world relationships the "end game" goal of many people is "aw yis i'ma put stuff in you". x.x To people like that, your sense of humor, your hobbies and interests, your dreams and your fears, these things don't really matter because they're looking for bondage, not bonding. 

Totally about them, and not about you.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Tiergan - 12-22-2015

I feel insanely rusty at writing and cringe every time I catch myself writing the same old descriptions over and over and over again in different RP. I feel like I need to read way more books to juice things up again, but I barely have the time these days.

My other huge insecurity is accidentally sending Tiergan or Lurial straight down the slippery slope of Badass Decay.

Most of my characters - Leilani, Jirandai, Bartu, Furious Storm - are intentionally underpowered. I like playing 'supporting' characters that make other more powerful characters shine. I also really, really, REALLY enjoy letting villains win out over my characters and I love RPing out the struggle - especially when the odds are not really stacked in their favor. I find the loss, emotional turmoil, and dealing with the fallout of my characters falling into some villain-character's trap way more interesting than them magically coming out on top all the time (plus it gives villain-players a chance to shine!).

Unfortunately with characters like Tiergan and Lurial, who are supposed to be more competent as fighters (seasoned gladiator and former-assassin) due to their backstory - it's really tough for me to figure out a nice balance losing enough for me to have fun and 'winning' just enough that Tiergan/Lurial don't look like they're dolts just blundering right into villainous traps.

In WoW I once let it happen so often, so consistently on one character that it was hard for anyone, including myself, to take him seriously anymore. I had to shelf that character, because it was hard to build him back up to something that wasn't a joke and I really don't want that to happen to either of the Vashir siblings.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - azahana - 12-22-2015

Damn, reading some of the stuff in here makes me feel like my issues are trivial as hell.

1: I'm a lalafell with a miqo'te name. Explained in backstory but weirds people out when interacting with her.

2: Combat RP makes me confused as hell sometimes. I prefer dice rolling. Dice rolling hates me. Sometimes lady luck is nice. Sometimes, please, would someone just hit the other person already.

3: My schedule is random. Hard to find someone to put up with a random schedule/know when I'm around.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Noirelle - 12-22-2015

(12-22-2015, 06:02 AM)azahana Wrote: Damn, reading some of the stuff in here makes me feel like my issues are trivial as hell.

1: I'm a lalafell with a miqo'te name. Explained in backstory but weirds people out when interacting with her.

2: Combat RP makes me confused as hell sometimes. I prefer dice rolling. Dice rolling hates me. Sometimes lady luck is nice. Sometimes, please, would someone just hit the other person already.

3: My schedule is random. Hard to find someone to put up with a random schedule/know when I'm around.

Nyahaha mine's also trivial since I just take it as I come and roll with whatever happens. 

Then there's a that almost crippling embarrassment if I ever realized I did something wrong.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Lucius Ignatius - 12-22-2015

I've really never had anything I worry about to be honest. All RP I've had during FF 14 since the start has been very fun. I do somewhat worry what some people think about my character though. Its not enough that I would freak out, but, due to how my character dresses most of the time (he prefers the more scant clothiing overall, however he does change clothing depending on events or where he goes) I do fear that some people think he's just for ERP. That is very far from the truth. I as a Heavy RPer that pretty much goes for continuous, sensible, realistic RP, I do dabble in more mature themes such as violence, and other 'dark' themes where they make sense. 'ERP' can happen, if it makes sense that the characters would. I personally, as the player, do not seek ERP in specific. If it happens naturally, it happens. I treat it as any other RP, and as tastefully as any RP. People IRL have relationships, as well as 'fun' every now and then. I RP my character having its own life in Eorzea, just as if it were living IRL. I prefer RP with others that would fit this kind of style, so far I've had no issues at all, but its just a small worry of mine that people think I will approach only for ERP. I probably worry for nothing. XD

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Kellach Woods - 12-22-2015

(12-21-2015, 09:08 PM)Parth Makeo Wrote:
(12-21-2015, 08:06 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: - RP job doesn't exist in-game (Mime)
Mime as in the actual job mime or Mime as in actual street performing mime? Cause if first, then that is nifty!

Actual "Replace Attack With Mimic" job. But that is still a work in progress.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Aurou - 12-22-2015

My biggest insecurity is that I have a huge fear of public speaking - making a mistake, saying the wrong thing, being judged on the topic at hand, being disregarded, not being given a fair chance.. the list goes on and on - and this fear easily transitions over to my RP. I'll often second guess what I'm typing before hitting enter, rethink and retype, even completely scrap things because I worry "Maybe this isn't right" or "No, this is stupid". It leads to longer posting time, which leads to anxiety on my end that my RP partner(s) think I'm ignoring them or not taking things seriously. It's a horrible cycle. Once I get to know people a bit better it's easier for me, but it still happens.

Metagaming. Why, oh, why? Because of my aforementioned fear of the spotlight, I tend to favor more supporting role-type characters. I'll work in little quirks or things into their backstories that most people won't just know after seeing my character or talking to them once or twice. I put a lot of thought into some smaller details that will come out naturally over time with RP. Character fears or very specific history aren't advertised on an IC billboard.

People confusing or blurring the lines between OOC and IC. My character is very friendly and bubbly. She'll flirt a little to get conversation going - and that's where it ends. That does NOT mean to start spamming me with OOC tells whenever you see me. On the other end of the spectrum, if my character thinks that your character is an arse that doesn't at all that I think you as the player are. If there's ever any confusion on my OOC feelings, I wish that people would simply ask and not assume.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Vyce - 12-22-2015

My worry is that I don't worry enough. I know for a fact I enjoy creating and conceptualizing characters more than actually RPing them.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - As'elena - 12-22-2015

I always worry about my grammar and sentence structure. IMO I find myself having a very limited vocabulary, always ending up making the exact same emotes just to not appear like some effortless one-sentence at a time person. (Which sometimes can't be helped as I RP deep in the night and I am tired!)

Progression is another thing I worry about a lot. The above statement regarding my playtime having some say in that. Being an EU player often makes it difficult to regularly interact with people I meet if I am expected at school the very next day.

Likewise, so far I've met dozens of people on my main character and she has made many, many acquaintances. But no RP I seem to engage in is consistent. People I meet once, I barely ever see again because they are either busy with their own FC, friends or whatever reason, so most of those acquaintances never become actual friends IC, or OOC, which often makes me believe I am doing something wrong, as my character is not interesting enough for people to want to interact with.

Lastly I also often worry I'm a bit of a stuck-up elitist who is far too picky. I generally RP with anyone and I don't discriminate towards any specific character concept unless it is just outright ridiculous, but I can be a bit nitpicky when it comes to dedication. And by that I mean, I don't really feel like putting effort into someone who barely puts effort into their own character.

For example, there have been some characters who grew to have some sort of interest in my character, which is great! I'm not one to turn away a potential romantic story. But if that person only plays once in a blue moon and doesn't really expose their characters to any development, I kinda just don't want to. Their characters quickly grow stale and boring, because they never do anything with their character's life's and only log in to interact with me. I'd rather safe such a spot for someone who can first love their own character and is also able to play remotely regularly during my hours! It sounds really arrogant, but I just can't help it. Sad

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Diskwrite - 12-22-2015

My biggest insecurity right now has to do with the fact that I just don't have the energy or inclination to RP constantly anymore. As I approach my oncoming quarter life crisis, I really want to focus more on my personal creative projects, such as art or writing. Or I'm just tired a particular day and don't really feel up to it!

But there's so many people who've expressed interest in RPing with me- I don't want to leave anyone out! But there's just no way I can devote the time and energy into interacting with everyone as much as they'd like.

It's a little overwhelming- this isn't a problem I've had before. But it makes me feel really bad when someone expresses clear interest in meeting Ojene or interacting with me, and I just don't have that same excitement. Not because they did anything wrong or bad, but because I don't know how I'm going to work in interacting with them when there's all the other stuff I want to do, too. :c

Sooo I've been trying my best, but... still. Guh.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Ryanti - 12-22-2015

i have a whole bunch of insecurities that I try to hide. I'll attempt to explain some of them.

1.) I put a hell of a lot of work into Ryanti's family and history. It's enough to make my wiki a mess. That combined with my tenancy to paragraph RP often makes me feel insecure about people not wanting to put up with all that detail and going off to find a better RP partner. I feel like sometimes I've overwhelmed people. I've had RP's simply discontinue because of it.

2.) Because of Ryanti's job being the way it is, because his life is very messy and because of his upbringing, he's what Warren calls a 'smooth operator'. It's an outlet for him. It keeps him sane and keeps him feeling alive. I'm not ashamed to say that I practice ERP when the story is right, and declare me bold for even saying that I actually enjoy it (*gasp*) but sometimes I feel like because my character and young and wants to live a little, that people will automatically think I have ulterior motives every time my character speaks to a woman.

3.) I don't wanna go into this much, but also super insecure people will judge me because I don't prefer fade to black and because sometimes my RP leads to ERP. It's happened before, where people just judge, and call me names even. But I'm not gonna change for people.

4.) Indirectly related to that, I'm super insecure that Ryanti will never find 'the one'. I know that's a silly worry, but part of what my passion for creating Ryanti's story is also carving out his future. That's a significant part of his future - finding love. But I've had terrible luck and more often than not my escapades end up with Ryanti getting slapped or furniture thrown at him. Don't get me wrong, it's hilarious. But I'm insecure that it's the best I can do with him.

5.) I'm insecure about Ryanti being a halfling. It was the only way my story could work and, at the same time, fulfill my OOC urge to play a male Miqo'te. But every time Ryanti admits to his blood in-game, there's a part of me that feels like I'm making a 'lolDrizzt' character and that I'm super edgy edgelord because he's a half breed.

6.) This is an insecurity that doesn't matter much anymore, but used to. Back when I first started RP'ing Ryanti, he was younger than he is now. Before he set out upon the world, before all of his previous character development, Ryanti was pretty rascist, and looked down upon the lower class. Now not so much, but there was definitely a time where my OOC self thought I was interacting with great characters, and I knew I had to make Ryanti act prejudiced towards them. And behind the keyboard, I was insecure as hell about having my RP partners hate me because of it. That was a difficult time for me, but Ryanti has since grown past that.

7.) I make extremely bad typos out of nowhere sometimes because my mind is always on something. I feel like shit every time I make them.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Erah'sae - 12-22-2015

My biggest uncertainty and insecurity would have to be worrying about stepping on people's OOC boundaries.

I tend to create character with the idea of creating a person with a fresh persona and have them react to stimulus in game as a real person would.   That means I've a tendancy to react without thought of how it impacts others.

I used to simply not care, because IC was IC, and that was that.  However for some reason these days I worry a lot.  It may be because I've had to mediate too many situations where IC and OOC have spilled over through the years.

It's odd, because the OOC discussing over things that may cross boundaries to feel out where someone wants to go with a scene feels a bit like attempting to pre-determine / force an outcome.  You know.. metagaming the situation.

I'm not talking even things like ERP, dark RP, or injuring someone else's character.  But it's simple things like putting someone on the spot or into a situation that forces them out of their normal RP style and the like.

It's kind of odd, because there's very little RP wise that crossed my boundaries that I can't just fade a scene to black.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Accendie - 12-22-2015

I think I can echo what just about everyone else is saying in that I really worry sometimes how Nef comes off. IRL I'm very much a loner, wall flower type who has no idea how to interact with 'normal' folks. Get me around a bunch of fellow geeks and it's not a problem but, sadly, one can't always choose who you have to socialize with. When I decided to start RPing in FFXIV I drew from over 10 years of Roleplaying experience to fashion a character who could basically interact with anyone and rationalize being anywhere at any time. Those super serious, antisocial characters might have interesting backgrounds and be great for plots, but just regular socializing.. yea.. not so much fun. Even if you have a regular crew to run with there are times when your schedules don't line up and if you don't have those folks around, that type of character is just really a struggle to play. (I've done it... had whole circles of an RP community I couldn't interact with because they would literally try to kill my character, for good reason too.) Been there done that and didn't bother getting the t-shirt. Next!
So I made Nef. A Rogue, finder of lost things, and fishercat. ;-) She likes to drink, is boisterous, and just overall a (hopefully) fun person to be around. Someone who will go to just about any event... just to go, especially if there might be (free) booze involved. My hope is that once you sit down with her and she starts talking that folks realize she DOES have depth and isn't just a drunk party girl. But it's always so hard to tell.

One of the things that I like doing is having a good OOC social channel to talk to folks. Getting to know the -player- behind the character helps me, at least, separate what the character does and who the player is. Sometimes it's so much fun to sit back and kibitz what our own characters are doing. I've had whole scenes where me and the other players involved were either laughing our butts off at our character's stupidity or bashing our heads against the wall at their idiocy.  It seems to help especially if it's a tense/aggressive situation. Maybe some folks don't like that break in immersion, but after years of those insecurities cropping up I found that the benefits far outweigh any break in immersion and make the whole RP experience better overall for it. Each to their own though.

There's probably books I could write about this but dinner is waiting.

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Kurt S. - 12-22-2015

One more thing to add.

Maybe it's just me but you see those people just sitting around, standing around. And you want to walk up to them but then you can't because their squad arrived. And then it makes you wonder if they actually ever had the time of the day for your random walk up if you moved earlier and before their squad arrived.

Just me?

Ocake :3

RE: Roleplayer Uncertainty/Insecurity Theater - Erah'sae - 12-22-2015

(12-22-2015, 10:26 PM)Kurt S. Wrote: One more thing to add.

Maybe it's just me but you see those people just sitting around, standing around. And you want to walk up to them but then you can't because their squad arrived. And then it makes you wonder if they actually ever had the time of the day for your random walk up if you moved earlier and before their squad arrived.

Just me?

Ocake :3

I get like that too at times.  That "damn, I'll be interrupting" feeling.  Some days, I just say screw it and stick my nose right in the middle of their crew.