Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Grey Knives :: Criminality in the Brume! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Making Connections (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: The Grey Knives :: Criminality in the Brume! (/showthread.php?tid=14724)

The Grey Knives :: Criminality in the Brume! - Oats McGoats - 12-25-2015

For the past fifteen years, whispers have carried below the Pillars of a band of thieves, murderers and ruffians. These members of dusky skin target wildwood and hyur alike, any of the variety so unwise as to venture alone through the Brume. Who are these deviants?

The Grey Knives.

The group started out of a sense of being wronged, its membership solely consisting of duskwight elezen from the Brume. The stereotypical dislike of wildwood only proved to grow stronger and extend to hyur as well, after lifetimes of watching highborn privileged individuals living lives in wealth in the Pillars. House Dzemael is seen as nothing more than a den of traitors to the plight of their duskwight brethren. In essence, the Grey Knives' fury rests in their perceived status as Ishgard pariahs.

=================================================

What? :: The Grey Knives are intended to simply be an IC piece of Ishgard. Any who live in Ishgard may have heard of them, though word of their gang likely ends there. The Knives make their den in the darkest recesses of the Brume, traveling merchants not likely to cross their path without actually entering the Brume and being of the "wrong" heritage.

Who? :: The Grey Knives are also an important part of the backstory of my character, Flavie Filoumonte. Any who are closely aware of the Grey Knives' activities (residents of the poorest sectors of the Brume, or actual Grey Knife members) would know that Flavie is an ex-member and is currently a target for them. Knowledge of the Grey Knives doesn't leave the Grey Knives without paying in blood.

The gang is led by a towering, mountain of an elezen by the name of Henrienn Nighthawk. Estimates for the size of the gang are debatable. They operate in quick hit-and-runs typically, not sitting still for long enough to obtain a good count. People who go missing because of the Grey Knives do not return to tell the tale.

When? :: The Grey Knives began fifteen years ago, growing (slowly) in numbers and influence in the Brume with time.

Where? :: RP for the Grey Knives would likely be contained within Ishgard, as the gang isn't large enough to extend farther out.

Why? :: I felt this could be a fun way to add to Ishgard RP, as well as to add to my character's backstory and make potential contacts with others. ^^

New Announcement :: The Grey Knives now have a Linkshell! This is open to anyone who wishes to be a current member, ex-member (these would be few, but I am open to it), or anyone who simply wants to follow the progress. Poke me for more info!

**NOTES**
• I am still not super savvy with Ishgard lore. I don't know if House Dzemael is actually confirmed to be duskwight, or if that's just an OOC rumor. Or an IC rumor of Duskwight blood. Basically I have no idea, and it's not really that important to the Grey Knife story anyway.
• The Grey Knives are based on the idea that a group of Duskwights could have the perception that they are treated poorly due to their heritage and birth, and feel that even if they tried they could not ever actually be accepted among the wealthy. This is not me stating that I believe all or even most Duskwights in Ishgard would feel this way. This is not me creating or assuming lore, but simply creating a group of people in a small corner of the world that have their own opinions.

RE: The Grey Knives :: Criminality in the Brume! - Lucius Ignatius - 12-26-2015

I like this idea. There isnt enough criminal RP in general. I dont know if Kiht would come to Ishgard, but I hope to RP with you guys if he does!

RE: The Grey Knives :: Criminality in the Brume! - mongi291 - 12-26-2015

Isaulde could know the Grey Knives - actually, she could've even been one of them in her youth, because before becoming a Dark Knight she was part of an unspecified criminal group, and she is a Duskwight to boot.
However, while she tends to protect the lowborn from the corrupt nobles, she'd also protect the highborn (if she feels they deserve it) from the lowborn, if it's needed. She could be either an ally or an enemy for the Grey Knives.

RE: The Grey Knives :: Criminality in the Brume! - Oats McGoats - 12-26-2015

I'm happy to hear of the interest!

(12-26-2015, 02:20 PM)mongi291 Wrote: Isaulde could know the Grey Knives - actually, she could've even been one of them in her youth, because before becoming a Dark Knight she was part of an unspecified criminal group, and she is a Duskwight to boot.
However, while she tends to protect the lowborn from the corrupt nobles, she'd also protect the highborn (if she feels they deserve it) from the lowborn, if it's needed. She could be either an ally or an enemy for the Grey Knives.

It sounds like a past with the Grey Knives could work well for your character. A poor dusky would have had plenty of reasons to join in the early days, and plenty of reasons to leave in the late. Smile

The gang started out with an almost Robin Hood-esque philosophy (albeit with the racially charged aspect added to the mix). Unfortunately, what began as vigilante-ism evolved into pure, blinded zealotry, which is what drove Flavie to leave. She isn't above sketchy work and roughing others up for coin, but the Grey Knives had become nothing more than thugs and killers for money, which is what they are today.

The only portion I would emphasize to those wishing to have a background with the Grey Knives is that if your character left, they will still have to deal with being tracked and the occasional bounty hunter.

RE: The Grey Knives :: Criminality in the Brume! - Oats McGoats - 01-23-2016

The Grey Knives -- now, with more Linkshell!
Poke me for an invite~