Hydaelyn Role-Players
Etiquette - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Etiquette (/showthread.php?tid=14737)

Pages: 1 2

Etiquette - Nikobi Eyre - 12-27-2015

Hey folks!

So I had a question on RP etiquette. I apologize if this question was discussed in another thread. Admittedly, I am still relatively new to RPing and as such there are certain modes of etiquette I remain incognizant of. Here's the scenario..

You walk into a location and overhear/see a handful of people RPing. As it turns out, they are discussing something that your particular character might find of interest or relevant to them and their story. My question is.. is it considered poor etiquette to jump in and join their particular RP without a formal invitation to do so? 

I suppose one could argue that simply sending any of them a /tell beforehand might be warranted, and I probably will do that in the future. However, if the RP was intended to be kept between a select group of characters, then wouldn't they perhaps take their RP to a more private forum.. such as group, LS and/or FC chat?

What is acceptable etiquette in this situation?

RE: Etiquette - Warren Castille - 12-27-2015

Depends on the people in question, really. Some people treat RPing in public like an open invitation, and some people are touchy about it. Sending a tell first is really the best way to suss out which is which.

RE: Etiquette - McBeefâ„¢ - 12-27-2015

My rule of thumb is, if an RP is in an open area with high amounts of RP, it is open game.

However as Warren says, a quick tell 'Mind if I join in?' is the safest way forward.

RE: Etiquette - Nebbs - 12-27-2015

(12-27-2015, 05:52 AM)McBeefâ„¢ Wrote: My rule of thumb is, if an RP is in an open area with high amounts of RP, it is open game.

However as Warren says, a quick tell 'Mind if I join in?' is the safest way forward.

This is my approach too.

In fact personally I prefer to do as much IC as possible. Tells are welcome though, even if just to get you noticed especially if lots of txt activity.

RE: Etiquette - Faye - 12-27-2015

(12-27-2015, 05:35 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Depends on the people in question, really. Some people treat RPing in public like an open invitation, and some people are touchy about it. Sending a tell first is really the best way to suss out which is which.

This! If people are RPing openly in public, it should mean that they are open to others joining in. I've run into people who aren't, which is honestly a little silly on their part, so the safe bet would still be just shooting someone a /tell. And you can always check their search info--if it says "Walk-ups welcome," then they'll probably be okay with you joining in.

RE: Etiquette - Desu Nee - 12-27-2015

You gotta approach em like

"Hey, you wanna ARREPE? You wanna ARREPE?"

RE: Etiquette - Kurt S. - 12-27-2015

(12-27-2015, 08:05 AM)Desu Nee Wrote: You gotta approach em like

"Hey, you wanna ARREPE? You wanna ARREPE?"

You mean arpee? 

Anyway /tell to win like everyone else said. At the very least they're aware of someone trying to enter the scene. Or probably politely decline you.

RE: Etiquette - Telluride - 12-27-2015

Maybe I am in the minority, but I prefer the walkup to getting a /tell. Just once too often, it has seemed like people use tells to avoid actually rping until they are 100% convinced that the RP will go exactly as they intend instead of letting an organic progression happen. It may also be that I do not have the distaste for cantina RP that some have, and actually kinda like the crapshoot of it. I have actually met the alts of several rpc regulars in this way, adding to the list of people I would love to interact with more.

In fact, there seem to be a few people on Balmung who wanna send long and random tells, demanding to know every detail about how my character would act before exchanging a single line of dialogue. Admittedly, I have blocked a couple of the more blatant ones. A little poke is ok, but why would I give up the fun of actually meeting a character - you know, actual RP - for stale and sterile tells?

RE: Etiquette - Nebbs - 12-27-2015

(12-27-2015, 12:39 PM)Telluride Wrote: ...
In fact, there seem to be a few people on Balmung who wanna send long and random tells, demanding to know every detail about how my character would act before exchanging a single line of dialogue...

I know the feeling and you know what, even if I wanted to answer I don't really know.

RE: Etiquette - FreelanceWizard - 12-27-2015

(12-27-2015, 12:39 PM)Telluride Wrote: Maybe I am in the minority, but I prefer the walkup to getting a /tell.

I'm actually the same way -- if I'm out in public RPing in open channels, I'd much prefer someone just come by and start RPing rather than breaking the flow of the scene with OOC tells. I don't mind a tell, but I don't feel it's necessary.

Part of the fun of public RP is that you have no idea who you might run into! Smile

RE: Etiquette - Kellach Woods - 12-27-2015

In a sense, if you're RPing in public and doing a scene that, well, leaves you unable to really respond to random prompts you probably should have a proper answer for someone interested.

RE: Etiquette - Verad - 12-27-2015

To move beyond sending a tell or just approaching, it's also possible to use a couple of passive emotes to show that you are interested in/about to join a conversation. If you post that your ears perk up as you listen in to what they're saying, that you're about to turn and say something, then that gives players an opportunity to incorporate by either responding to your obvious interest or decide to take the conversation somewhere more private.

Further, I'd suggest that when you jump in, you make sure you build off of what's already being said rather than use a complete non sequitur to enter the conversation (he said, when he uses the same damn pitch to enter pretty much every conversation). Most people will likely appreciate adding to the conversation more than they will redirecting it.

RE: Etiquette - Solenne - 12-27-2015

I feel that the answer to this question depends so much on the kind of RP you're trying to join in on.

Personally, I prefer a /tell before someone joins my RP unless I'm in a major hub (like the Quicksand or the Carline Canopy) or at a social event. A lot of my world RP scenes fit into larger storylines and need to stay on track in order to achieve their intended purpose. That does not mean that if someone sends me a /tell asking to join in, that I will say no. In fact, this has happened several times and I was able to work them into the scene, and it was all the better for their participation. But it really helps to establish OOC communication before jumping into the mix ICly. A lot of people seem to think OOC communication ruins immersion, but I'm a big fan of it. When I have a complex arc in progress involving quite a few different characters/players, there's just no way to make it work without some discussion outside of the RP. 

However, for the purposes of tavern RP, walk-ups are just fine.

RE: Etiquette - K'nahli - 12-27-2015

I can't say that I can really think of any reason why people would RP in /say if they felt like moderating who is allowed to join their session. If I RP'd publicly then I admit I'd always be wary of anyone and everyone that wants to join just in case I don't have a taste for their character or their adherence to lore, but I'd still say it was very okay for them to jump in on any RP taking place on a channel dedicated to advertising your RP to everyone in the nearby vicinity.

But as has been said many times already, Tells are the safest route. You'll surely find fewer people that are bothered by receiving them and many less potential difficulties than just assuming the right to join.

RE: Etiquette - Accendie - 12-28-2015

(12-27-2015, 02:11 PM)Verad Wrote: To move beyond sending a tell or just approaching, it's also possible to use a couple of passive emotes to show that you are interested in/about to join a conversation. If you post that your ears perk up as you listen in to what they're saying, that you're about to turn and say something, then that gives players an opportunity to incorporate by either responding to your obvious interest or decide to take the conversation somewhere more private.

Further, I'd suggest that when you jump in, you make sure you build off of what's already being said rather than use a complete non sequitur to enter the conversation (he said, when he uses the same damn pitch to enter pretty much every conversation). Most people will likely appreciate adding to the conversation more than they will redirecting it.

I second the /emote thing. I'm all for just barging in on RPs in public spaces but sometimes that doesn't 'fit' with your character. A few emotes to denote your interest to join the fun usually works unless it's in a super busy place. I frequently try to keep an eye out for folks If the "WALL-O-TEXT" is strong then I highly suggest tell because it's likely your stuff will get lost in the deluge.