Hydaelyn Role-Players
English language..... - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: English language..... (/showthread.php?tid=1486)

English language..... - Almil - 11-14-2012

[Image: d020.gif]
I just need to vent (is that the word?) a little and didn't wanna do it in random topic. So excuse me for making silly new topic. And I don't actually expect anyone to reply to this, some of you might just skip the whole thing and it's ok. Ofc you can reply if you want.

Shortly said, I think I still need to learn more english...after all these years!

Spoiler: show
This isn't like *whine* "Why can't you all write/speak in my language?" Because I actually prefer using english with my online gaming friends, even if they are from same country as me and know finnish. It would only confuse me more talking two languages in same game.

To the point...:
Some of you write in the way that actually makes me struggle sometimes while reading, especially when it's long wall of text (chatting is easier). But I think it's those of you that have english as first (and maybe only) language.
I'm used to play (WoW) with people from EU, mostly like dutch and danish people (well ok, some from UK) who usually write simple like me. Can't actually explain how it feels different. But I start to wonder if RPing with some of you guys would make me struggle. I mean I understand like 99% without problem, but it's just exhausting and 'heavy' to read sometimes [Image: g010.gif] If you know what I mean...
Sometimes I understand every word but still kinda fail to understand what was the point, what did the writer mean with those words, ...and when it's forum I would feel silly to write reply just to ask about it (like I would in chat) ...frustrating!

Aaanyways... I just wanted to say that feel free to poke me if you see me make some major mistakes repeatedly or you can't understand what I mean with my writing (OR if it seems I'm the one that doesn't understand). Both here on forums or in-game (when we can play again). I have lost some 'friends' in the past because of misunderstandings....
There is always gonna be mistakes like "you should have use C instead of S" (and sometimes Z?) and I -usually- know when/how they should be used but can forget it especially when RPing (because I need to think and write faster then). So mistakes like that you don't have to poke me with all the time, as long as YOU know what I mean with my words.
I wonder how many of you would get bored of me if I poked you privately during RP, making sure I understood some words and such...... I mean would that be exhausting on your part to RP with me then? Maybe I worry too much, hehe. I rarely need to ask anyways. I just wanted to warn you of that possibility. *nodnod*

Ah, I feel much better now...I think.
But now I feel really really SILLY writing this... and now you are all scared to RP with me in future! [Image: d035.gif]

*clicks Submit anyways*

Re: English language..... - Aysun - 11-14-2012

I'm sure there are a few people here that RP in English and it's not their native language, so you're not alone. I have never been offended or put off by someone /telling me and asking for clarification on something in RP or elsewhere. I'd rather you ask than misunderstand!

I try to avoid using flowery, unnecessary words in RP. Forum RP is a lot more descriptive and long, and that's where I tend to see people bringing out the thesaurus because they don't want to say 'eyes' or something. In-game, it doesn't seem to be as common. We use simple words and shorter posts to keep things moving.

Re: English language..... - Almil - 11-14-2012

I know I'm not the only one, even that I sometimes feel like it. Especially with FFXIV when practically everyone I talked to after the launch were british, american or canadian... But yea, I don't know how much things has change since then, maybe we have more scandinavian players and others? (I know some OOC people are but not RPers)
Not that it matters where everyone is from, anyone could feel like this, even if they use english daily.

Ok I wrote much longer reply but then thought it would start to sound too much like ranting. Even the opening post didn't mean to be that long but it just grew and grew and took me forever to finish (while getting distracted in other windows).
I just feel restless tonight, and bored :bounce:

Re: English language..... - Deirdre - 11-14-2012

I'm an English speaker but I see where you are coming from! And never think we would take offense if you ask for clarification! Sometimes we all need it, I am guilty of googling a word or two.

My own character though I'd understand COMPLETELY. Not sure if you've read any of her journals or interacted with her ICly, but deirdre has a very... skewed way of wording things that sometimes will make little sense to even those who speak primarily English!

But just let us know if you need a hand, we're all here to help~!

Re: English language..... - Eva - 11-14-2012

Evrol, who used to post here and whom I really enjoyed RP with in FFXI, was Finnish and English was his second language and I always really enjoyed our meetings. I know a lot of people are self-conscious about speaking a second language, but I also know it takes a lot of courage to try and reach out like that.

For what it's worth, your posts that I have read look very clear and I understand what you are saying pretty well I think. But I will repeat what the others have said, and that is please don't be afraid to ask if you have any questions or send a /tell or a PM if something is unclear. Most people are very happy to explain something that may be unclear.

Re: English language..... - Eternal Darkness - 11-22-2012

You should never be afraid of English, especially if it's not your first language. It is one of the more difficult languages to understand, from someone who doesn't speak it natively, because of the way we string our sentences together. From what I understand, the way most languages string together phrases is similar to the way Yoda, from Star Wars, speaks. For example, where we would say "that's a blue car", Yoda would say "Blue car, that is." I think that's where somethings get lost in the translation.

Anyway, if we ever get a chance to RP together, don't worry about asking me the meaning of something. I won't get bothered or annoyed. I'm only more than happy to help where I can.