Hydaelyn Role-Players
Transposition - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Transposition (/showthread.php?tid=1491)

Transposition - Kylin - 11-18-2012

Spoiler: show
((The following consists of numerous story posts that occur following Dalamud's impact and extend over the 5 year span between versions 1.0 and 2.0. The stories relate to the rise of House Felstar and its members. I do not yet know how many posts this will entail, but it will likely be at -least- 8 or so. The thread title, Transposition, is a chess term that refers to shifting the game to a different opening track from which it originally started.))

Aftermath, Part I

Approximately two weeks following Dalamud'€™s descent...

Kylin slowly opened his eyes, his focus blurry for a long moment before the ceiling above became clearer. It was painted an immaculate white, feint circular designs created by the dried paint. Still groggy from his long slumber, the midlander slowly turned his head to take in the rest of the surroundings as his focus gradually improved. He was in a bed, a large one not too dissimilar from the one he slept in at his old mansion. He was shirtless, though he seemed to still be wearing pants from what he could tell. The room itself was a large and elaborate bedroom, though still slightly smaller than he was used to.

A golden banner hung near the open window where a gentle breeze entered in unison with the sun'€™s luminous rays. On the banner was the etched image of a five-pointed star draped in upside down angel wings and wrapped in an elegantly designed circular pattern, the crest for House Felstar. Various types of bedroom styled furniture appeared perfectly positioned within the chamber. This wasn'€™t his home, yet it had all the markings of his family. Kylin quietly pondered where he was and how he got here. His mind instantly returned to the Full Cold Moon gala, the hyur's eyes bolting open as he shot straight up in his bed upon finally remembering the vivid details. He recalled the horrid screams and flying bodies, the falling meteors, the frenzied beasts, and the aether opening up and taking him. Then he remembered Gerik.

Without hesitation, Kylin quickly climbed out of bed. A dizzy spell came over him as he grabbed the nearby dresser for balance, waiting for the spell to pass before he opened a dresser drawer and pulled out a cotton shirt. As he slipped the shirt on and began to put on his shoes, Cartius walked in. "€œKylin! You'€™re awake! Thank the gods!"

The Felstar patriarch, wearing an elegant dark blue half robe with a ruby gem brooch near his neckline along with expensive looking slacks, rushed toward his son and embraced him tightly. "I was so worried, even after the medics assured me that you'd make a full recovery!"

A middle-aged dark-haired woman entered as well, her hair wrapped around her left shoulder. She wore the white robes of a priestess, smiling and sighing in relief upon seeing Kylin fully recovered.

Kylin reluctantly returned his father's embrace before taking a step back. "Father, where are we? How long was I out?"

"We are safe, my son. We'€™re on a small island retreat that my brother owns, far from the madness unfolding in Eorzea. You'€™ve been out for nearly a full moon now. You suffered quite a blow from that aetherial explosion."

Kylin's eyes widened in complete disbelief. "€œNo! I have to go back!"

With that, Kylin rushed past Cartius and the dark-haired woman in the doorway. Cartius quickly went after him as the woman gently grabbed his arm. "He's going to go regardless of what you say, love. Just let him see with his own eyes."

Cartius frowned heavily. "Are you mad, Nefron?! It could still be dangerous out there. And he still needs his rest!"

Nefron shook her head and smiled warmly at Cartius. "€œWe both know the danger seems to have mostly passed. Besides, Kylin is old enough to make his own decisions. Any objections will surely only fuel him further. So let him see with his own eyes what has happened to our home. I'm sure Vertigo can accompany him for extra safety."

The Felstar patriarch stared down the empty hallway outside the bedroom, sighing in defeat as his wife lovingly wrapped her arm around him with a weak smile. "€œHe's his father's son. Why are you so surprised?"

After nearly getting lost outside the island manor, Kylin finally found the dock where a couple of expensive looking ships were stationed. A leather clad miqo'€™te with long white hair turned to meet him, her eyes widening upon her bluish hued face. "Kylin! You'€™re finally awake!"

"Vertigo, take me back to Eorzea." The hyur wasted no time as he started to board the nearest boat, paying no heed to Vertigo'€™s surprised expression.

"€œKylin, you know I can'€™t do that. Your father has strictly--"€

"Either you take me or I'll get there myself,"€ the young noble stated abruptly. "Your choice."

Vertigo let out a deep sigh, reluctantly boarding the ship and preparing to disembark with a faintly audible mumble. Kylin stared up at the sky, as if to seek something that'€™s been there forever. Seeing nothing, he bit his lower lip nervously and quietly murmured to himself. "€œI'm coming, Gerik..."€

Re: Transposition - Kylin - 11-21-2012

Aftermath, Part II

Kylin dashed into Elza's cabin, nearly out of breath. The destruction he had witnessed, presumptuously from Dalamud, on his way to Gridania was beyond disturbing and only heightened his fears. He gazed about the interior of the cabin before running into each and every room. "Gerik?! Gerik!"

Vertigo entered the cabin, a frown on her face as she watched Kylin run through the cabin in a near frenzy. "€œKylin, it is not safe here. We need to return to the island immediately."

The young hyur gazed around the parlor, panic and despair visible on his face. Without hesitation, he dashed out the cabin front door. Vertigo sighed quietly before she followed after him.

Kylin rushed into the nearly devastated Owl's Nest just as Vertigo slashed the neck of a hippogryph in pursuit. Shimmersong'€™s headquarters appeared empty, though it didn'€™t stop Kylin from shouting. "Gerik! Gerik, are you here?!"

Another dizzy spell came over the young man but he held his ground. Vertigo frowned yet again. "€œKylin, you still need more rest. Your mana poisoning is not yet fully under control after your last ordeal. This friend you are seeking...I'm sorry, but it'€™s likely he'€™s either dead or impossible to find right now."

Kylin shook his head in denial as he dashed off yet again to head to the next location. Vertigo watched him with sadness in her eyes before she followed after him.

The gala site was still an utter mess, even more so following Dalamud's impact. It was nigh impossible to navigate through the area, though it didn'€™t slow Kylin down much. He wasted no time climbing over the debris, shouting for Gerik the entire time. Vertigo remained close behind, unable to say anything to the hyur'€™s determination to find his friend.

Despair flooded the hyur's eyes as he remained unable to find any trace of Gerik, or anyone else he knew for that matter. Kylin's vision began to blur slowly as dizziness suddenly overcame him. His mana poisoning was still in full force it seemed and the young hyur cursed the bad timing. The last thing he heard was Vertigo shouting his name before everything went black.

Groggily, Kylin'€™s eyes slowly opened. The wooden ceiling above him seemed partly familiar and the hyur quickly deduced that he was on a ship as he felt the gentle rocking of his bed and could faintly hear waves outside. He tried to muster enough strength to get back up but was unable to do so. It was evident to him that Vertigo was returning to the Felstar island with him and he could do nothing to do stop it in his present state. Cursing to himself again, the hyur passed out once more.

Opening his eyes once more, Kylin slowly rose up in his bed. He was back in his room at the Felstar island retreat. He glanced to his bedside, where Cartius stood hovering over him with Nefron directly behind him. Near the doorway stood both Vertigo and the ever loyal butler, Reeve. Kylin climbed out of his bed and glared daggers at his father.

"€œGerik could have found me if you hadn'€™t whisked me away to this damned island,"€ Kylin said with a calm but angry tone. "And now I'€™ll possibly never see him again."

Cartius frowned as he reached a single hand out lovingly toward his son'€™s shoulder, retracting it when Kylin abruptly flinched away from it. "My son, I knew nothing of this individual you were seeing. And I hardly had time to consider anything due to the grisly circumstances that threatened Eorzea."€

"Don't lie to me!"€ Kylin walked toward the center of the room before he spun around and glared again at his father. "You'€™re Cartius Felstar! You know everything about everyone in your family, remember? You knew about Gerik but didn'€™t give a damn about my happiness with him so took the chance to tear us apart by taking me way out here! Now he'€™s probably dead somewhere, or thinks I'm dead and will move on without me!"

"All I wish is to protect my family, Kylin." Cartius gazed sadly at his son as he spoke. "€œYou were nearly killed at that attack on the gala. And Eorzea'€™s plight was worsening. I had to get you and the rest of our family to safety. Even had I known about this man you speak of, it would have changed nothing. I needed to protect you from the Garlean attacks."

Kylin's rage instantly heightened as he reached over and flipped a nearby table in the center of the room, causing the myriad of objects on it to fly to the floor. A vase shattered as it fell to the ground. Both Reeve and Vertigo flinched, turning their heads to avoid watching the sudden outburst. Nefron gasped faintly in surprise as sadness overtook her eyes, the priestess bringing one of her hands up to her chest as if to clasp her breaking heart. Cartius stared with a seemingly impassive face, though a hint of sadness could be seen for those who would be observant enough.

"You needed to protect me?! I don'€™t /need/ your damn protection! Don't tell me what I need! I needed HIM! He made me feel alive again!"

Tears began to stream down Kylin'€™s face as he fell to his knees, whispering softly now. "€œI needed him..."€

Silence overtook the room as the family gazed sadly upon Kylin's emotional despair. The only sounds audible in the room were those of the raindrops falling outside and the quiet sobbing of the younger hyur.

Re: Transposition - Kylin - 11-25-2012

The Black Queen, Part I

About 8 moons later...

Cartius sat quietly at his office desk, gazing over the chess board in front of him. A single window allowed more than sufficient lighting in the room thanks to the bright and sunny weather outdoors. He sighed quietly just as Vertigo entered the chamber, his gaze quickly meeting hers as he stood up. "Well?"

Vertigo shook her head at Cartius. "Still no luck. Kylin will not even listen to me. He insists on staying in his inn room. He'€™s still as much of a mess as he was last time I saw him. When he'€™s not drinking or partying somewhere, he'€™s bedding either some random floozy or some gullible man. His facial tattoo is gone though, surprisingly. I suspect that must have been quite a painful procedure for him."€

Cartius returned to his chair and continued staring at his chess board, a soft sigh overcoming him. "€œMy family is in tatters. It'€™s difficult for me to even focus on business matters these days. My children want nothing to do with me. My father is getting more ill by the day. The house is barely standing financially as of late. I don'€™t know how much longer I can keep House Felstar afloat. Islude is probably regretting granting me full control over the house affairs by now."

"You know full well your brother does not think that," a new woman's voice resounded through the chamber. Vertigo and Cartius both turned to see a faintly smiling Nefron in the doorway. Her black hair flowed behind her in slight curls, an elegant sight to behold along with her white priestly robes. "As for Kylin, love...you need to be the one to reach out to him. You can'€™t keep sending Vertigo and Reeve for everything, with all due respect to them. /You/ are his father. And there is no greater bond than family. He needs you just like the air he breathes."

Cartius smiled weakly at Nefron as she elegantly glided into the room. Vertigo quickly stepped aside to allow the woman passage to her husband. "Nefron, I wish I could be as optimistic as you. But Kylin will not listen to me. He won'€™t even listen to Vertigo or Reeve. Who else is left to talk sense into him these days?"

Nefron sat on the patriarch'€™s desk, glancing down at the chess board in front of her husband. She then reached out and picked up a single chess piece, handing it to Cartius with a faint smile. Cartius gently took the piece from the priestess, gazing at the black queen in deep thought as Nefron spoke again. "As I said before, love...there is no greater bond than family. You already know what your next move should be, but you'€™re too afraid to make it. The Cartius I know and love would never allow such fear to control him at the risk of losing family."€

A small smile crossed Cartius's lips and then turned into a wide grin as he stood up and walked around the desk to embrace his wife. "You are right as always, my darling. I know exactly what I must do to make this family whole again and I can no longer afford to hesitate in doing it. Vertigo, ready a ship immediately."

Elza finished tying her hair up in a ponytail and adjusted her indigo bangs in the mirror. The hyur then walked over to her cabin window, gazing out at the sea outside. She had never imagined living on a ship as long as she has, but at least the Scarlet Siren allowed for a very lavish lifestyle at sea. The woman quickly bolted her head to the nearby table as a voice came over the linkpearl sitting there. "What the hell?! Someone take her out already! There's only one of her!"

Elza wasted no time dashing to the table and picking up the pearl. "€œWhat's going on up there?!"

The sound of blades crashing together could be heard over the pearl. Had the ship come under attack from pirates? No, Elza thought. That'€™s impossible. They would have seen the pirate ship long before it reached them. And Sanctum's members were hardly slouches in combat, though the hyur woman remained fearful over the panicked tone in the voice.

"€œBloody hells!"€ The voice continued over the pearl as Elza listened intently. "Where did she learn to fight like that?! Damned masked miqo'€™te!"

Elza flinched at the mention of a masked miqo'te just as a thud became audible over the pearl before it went silent. The masked miqo'€™te couldn'€™t be...no. Elza dismissed the thought and quickly ran to the wall opposite of her chamber doors where an elm bow was propped up. As she reached for the weapon, she would stop suddenly at the male voice coming from behind her.

"I sincerely hope you won't be needing that."

The woman froze in her tracks, her eyes widening at the easily recognized voice. Taking her hand off the bow, she slowly turned around to meet the newcomer'€™s gaze. He wore a regal looking scarlet colored robe with white trim. His short white colored hair was neatly groomed and the man looked to be in his late forties to mid fifties. A single ruby ring rested on his right index finger. The man took a couple of slow steps forward, smiling at Elza as he did so.

"Hello, Elly," Cartius stated in a soft but powerful voice. "It'€™s so good to see my beautiful, beautiful daughter again."

Re: Transposition - Kylin - 11-29-2012

The Black Queen, Part II

Elza stared daggers at her father, her entire body tensing up almost immediately. "How did you find me? And what have you done to my men?"

"It'€™s been a full cycle now and not even a hello for your father?" Cartius tilted his head ever so slightly with a faint frown. When Elza responded with nothing but silence and her deathly stare, the Felstar patriarch spoke again. "Your men are fine. Vertigo has merely knocked them all unconscious so that we wouldn'€™t be interrupted. As to how I found you...this -is- my ship, darling. Do you really think I don't have an artifact stored on it to allow the Scarlet Siren to easily be traced?"€

Elza scowled at the older man, her fists tightening in anger. "Why are you here?"

A look of utter disappointment crossed the man's face. "Because our family is in tatters, Elly. If something doesn't change soon, it'll meet a cruel fate. Who better to help rebuild than my ever-so-talented daughter?"€

Elza smirked before she crossed her arms, turning and walking toward the chamber window. "So it'€™s all hands on deck then? Even the vagabond elder sister? Despite the fact that said vagabond was used as a pawn to bring down an entire noble family, a family that you had massacred and ripped asunder regardless of their supposed familial ties to all of us Felstars?"€

"Everything I did was for my family,"€ Cartius stated matter-of-factly. "€œThe Mavanixs had your brother'€™s mother killed, and nearly Kylin himself as a result. You saw how rabid they were when you were matriarch. Nina and Kalara wished nothing more than to devour you whole. Decretum Umbra wished nothing more than to kill all of House Mavanix and take it all for themselves. The entire house would have destroyed my darling children if they had the chance."

"So you decided to beat them to the punch?"€ Elza spun around as she spoke to meet her father's gaze, noticing the sadness engulfing his eyes. Part of her couldn'€™t help but be moved by the man'€™s determination to protect his family. Her anger began to slowly subside.

"€œElly, I know what I'€™ve done is unforgivable and I know nothing I say can make you see things the way I did. I am not here to seek forgiveness or to persuade you of my intentions. I am here to seek your help in uniting our family. If not for me, then for your brother. Kylin has become increasingly self-destructive lately and I fear deeply for him. He needs his sister more than ever before."

Elza couldn'€™t help but flinch as Cartius mentioned the supposed plight of her brother. Keeping her arms crossed, she turned back to the window and stared out in complete silence. Cartius, likely sensing near victory, continued his barrage. "You can't say this wouldn't be good for you as well, Elza. You have felt lonely for so long now, have you not? Sanctum alone cannot fulfill all of your needs. You need Kylin as much as he needs you. You both need family. At the end of it all, who but us do you have? You know in your heart that I am right. Listen to the voice in the back of your head that is telling you so."

The hyur woman bit her lower lip as she gazed out the window at the soft waves. She shook her head gently, mostly to herself. "€œAnd what of my extracurricular activities? I'm sure if you've been keeping tabs on me like I think you have been, you'€™re well aware of what I do in my free time. Do you really want your ne'€™er do well daughter to ruin House Felstar'€™s image?"

"You did not ruin House Mavanix's image,"€ Cartius stated softly. "€œIn fact, I dare say you gained respect by numerous mercenaries despite the house'€™s fall into disarray. This is your chance to help rebuild House Felstar in your image just as much as mine, my dear. If House Mavanix was defined by its past, House Felstar shall be defined by the actions we take today. As the whole of Eorzea continues to rebuild from Dalamud, this is just as much our chance to rebuild. While I personally do not agree with your...extracurricular activities with Sanctum, I will not try to deter you from your vision. I hope that you will one day be dissuaded from it, but ultimately your happiness is more important than anything else to me. To add icing to the cake, what better way to achieve all of your goals than under the guise of a noble house? There is nothing to lose and everything to gain."€

"You'€™re playing all of the cards today, aren'€™t you?" Elza couldn't help but smirk as she continued to stare out the window. The patriarch certainly seemed sincere and he was definitely right about her being lonely for so long now. Her guilt for Kylin was growing as well, assuming he was as self-destructive as Cartius made it sound. And now the cunning strategist added a perk on top of his request for Elza to rejoin the family: a secret sanctuary for Sanctum. That alone was nearly too good to pass up.

"To fix my family, I will do anything." Cartius sighed softly. "I hope you believe me, Elly."

"€œI sense the sincerity in your voice and I'€™ve seen it in your eyes," Elza stated quietly with her back still to the patriarch. "Family is indeed of utmost importance to you, that I will not debate."

A seemingly long silence overcame the room before Cartius broke it again. "Well?"

Elza sighed, still looking out the window. "€œI'm listening to the little voice in the back of my mind, as per your suggestion."

"And what is it saying?" Cartius tilted his head, trying desperately to see his daughter'€™s facial expression in the window'€™s reflection.

A long pause ensued before Elza finally spun around to meet her father'€™s gaze. "€œThat you win! As always!"

A broad smile appeared on Cartius'€™s face as he clapped his hands together victoriously. "Wonderful news, my daughter! You will not regret this, I promise you. I will have Reeve prepare your room at the mansion immediately."

"Oh, I'€™ll regret it later I'm sure,"€ Elza said in a defeated tone. "€œBut I'€™ll deal with it. And a room won'€™t be necessary. I'm not going to any mansion, at least not yet. I'€™ll return to my cabin in Gridania, assuming it'€™s still standing. Baby steps, father. Now tell me where to find Kylin."€

Re: Transposition - Kylin - 12-07-2012

Domination

About a week later...

Kylin awoke to a loud knock upon his inn door. Several beams of light shone brightly through the bedroom window, further intensifying the hyur'€™s massive hangover from the previous night. The knocking continued until Kylin finally rose from his bed covers and slipped on a pair of pants nearest to him. Foregoing a shirt, the young man climbed his way over the messy bedroom floor and headed for the door out in the small and equally messy living room. He ran a single hand through his unkempt hair before swinging the door open in clear annoyance, his eyes then widening at the sight on the other side. "...Elza?"

Elza flashed a warm smile at Kylin, her casual cotton white tabard and slops a sharp contrast to what she was often seen wearing, further throwing Kylin. "€œHello little brother. It'€™s been such a long time." The woman wasted no time in throwing her arms around the baffled sibling, hugging him tightly as he returned the embrace.

"You'€™re okay! How did you...what..." Kylin struggled to figure out which question to ask his sister first. Her disappearance following House Mavanix'€™s fall over a full cycle ago had worried him for some time. And now she had somehow showed up right at his doorstep out of the blue.

"€œUse coherent sentences, Kylin."€ Elza smiled sweetly at her brother before she brushed past him and into his room as if she owned the place. The indigo haired beauty couldn'€™t help but raise an eyebrow as she gazed upon the messy chambers. Clothes were scattered just about everywhere. Leftover food from gods know how far back still sat upon the center table. The smell of booze filled the room and empty bottles were scattered about the entire area. Elza sighed softly to herself as she crossed her arms and turned her gaze back to her still surprised brother.

"I'm glad you'€™re okay,"€ Kylin said with a faint smile. "€œI was worried about you after that whole Dalamud thing. But...how did you find me?"

"Father told me you were here," Elza stated without flinching. "And it'€™s a pity he waited so long to tell me about your...situation. You look worse than I imagined, no offense."€

"You'€™re speaking with our father again?"€ Kylin stared in shock. "€œAfter everything he did? You were enraged with him, and rightfully so. I can'€™t believe you'€™d so easily let him back into your life after all that."

"€œWell, anger comes and goes. But we only have one father. And -you- were very quick to forgive him when you found out about his plot against House Mavanix if I recall."

Kylin sighed as he reached for the nearby sofa and picked off a shirt from it, pulling it over himself. "€œI was a fool then. I should have done what you did and gotten the hell out of there when I found out. But why your change of heart toward him?"

Elza smirked and sat on the ledge of the sofa, crossing one leg over the other comfortably. "€œI assure you that I'€™m still angry with him. But family is far too important for one to allow anger to shatter it, don'€™t you think? You should consider letting go of that anger as well...for your own sake. After all, who but us do you have when all is said and done?"

"€œI'€™m not going back to father," Kylin said matter-of-factly. "€œEveryone has always said how much of a poisonous influence he was on my life and I finally see it myself."

Elza smiled faintly as she rose from her seat and walked over to Kylin. She gently placed a single hand on her brother'€™s face lovingly. "Poison can only be fatal if you lack the antidote, Kylin. Fortunately, you and I both have the antidote to father's toxic influence. There's no need to turn your back on him and your family. Look at what that'€™s done to you so far. I'€™ve only seen you for mere moments and I can tell how miserable you really are. Sure, you look a bit different. You'€™ve buffed up and I'm sure your Felstar charm on top of that is making men and women both swoon. But you'€™re still clearly unhappy. And I hate seeing my baby brother in such a state."

Kylin let out another soft sigh as Elza brushed past him for the door. Before he could say anything else, she spoke up once again. "Hurry and clean yourself up. I heard of a new little restaurant nearby with an amazing menu. Let your big sis treat you to brunch so we can catch up. I can'€™t wait to hear all about this Merik guy you supposedly fell so hard for."

Kylin grinned faintly, fondly remembering when he first met Gerik and made the same mistake with his name. "€œIt's Gerik."

Elza shrugged as she exited the room, turning around to glance at Kylin. "Whatever. I'€™ll meet you in the lobby. Don'€™t keep me waiting. We have so much to catch up on, after all."€

Elza shut the door behind her, taking out a single linkpearl after the fact. "Father, it'€™s going to take a bit more work than I thought to get him back in the family. But I assure you that all is on course so far. You may want to start working on your next move."

Cartius set his linkpearl down following Elza'€™s update, smiling faintly to himself as he sat in his large office desk chair and gazed carefully at the chess board in front of him. After a long moment of examining the game's pieces in front of him, the Felstar patriarch shifted his gaze to another object on the desk -- a small framed portrait of Kylin. Next to that portrait was one of Elza. The man smiled to himself and gently reached out to each picture, lovingly tracing his fingers around the rim of each picture. He then reached into his desk drawer and removed another small portrait, placing it next to the other two before speaking softly to himself. "My darling Seraphine...it is time for us all to be a true family at long last."

RE: Transposition - Kylin - 02-10-2013

Capture

About two moons later…

The well groomed waiter placed the tray of food onto the table, dispersing the contents appropriately to the two guests before walking away while dusting off his apron. The two occupants were alone in the eatery’s private room, the feint sound of slow music playing outside the chamber. The male was a somewhat husky hyur with yellow and white robes of the finest silk. His short auburn hair was neatly groomed, as it would be with any noble. The husky man smiled at his date across the table, a bluish skinned female miqo’te with long white hair in beautifully prepared curls. Her yellowish eyes had a feral look in them and she wore a modestly tight black strapped dress to match her beautiful figure. The woman took a sip from her wine glass and then purred at the man across the table.

“What a delightful meal this is. I certainly didn’t expect a private chamber in this restaurant. The quiet atmosphere is just lovely though, Balor. Thank you again.”

“No need for thanks,” the husky Balor said with a  faint smile as he took a bite from his meal and downed it with a sip of wine. “A woman of your fine caliber deserves naught but the best. What better way to get to know one another than somewhere quiet and peaceful like this? Speaking of getting to know one another, I’ve been meaning to ask you…that scar on your face, where did you get it from?”

The noble continued to eat his meal, an occasional sip of wine to down it as he did so. The miqo’te watched him for a brief second before responding to his question. “Oh this hideous thing? An accident from my childhood. I apologize if it’s unappealing.”

“Not unappealing at all. It’s actually quite endearing. Besides, we all have our battle scars.”

The woman raised an eyebrow. “With all due respect, you don’t seem the type to be in the battlefield.”

Balor coughed faintly, gently patting his chest as the miqo’te watched him carefully. His eyes watered slightly, possibly from the strong wine. The noble shook off the sensation and smiled at the woman. “Battlefield is a very subjective term. I may not be active in physical battle, but the political battles amongst the elite in Ul’dah are ever meticulous. Many look at the wealthy as individuals who didn’t earn what we have. But we do fight for what we have.”

The man coughed again before taking another sip of wine to attempt soothing the sensation. The miqo’te smiled faintly before she spoke. “I couldn’t agree more. I hear that’s how you obtained the museum that you now own. You went through a rather big legal battle after it was auctioned off, yes?”

Balor’s eyes lit up at the mention of his precious museum. “Ah, yes! The Avalon Heritage Museum. Perhaps my grandest acquisition yet. When House Mavanix crumbled prior to Dalamud's coming, they left their resources up for grabs. And then that Cartius fellow comes back from the beyond or whatever and tried to reclaim what I spent an absurd amount of gil on. Thankfully the law of Ul’dah was on my side. And now the museum and all its wondrous artifacts belong to me.”

The woman tilted her head ever so slightly, seeming amused by the story. “I hear the museum was a precious family commodity to the Mavanix clan with roots extending to the Felstar family as well. It’s only natural that Cartius would want it back I suppose. But at least you’ll eventually be able to pass it down to the next generation of your family and forge new family roots, yes?”

The man shrugged, patting his chest again after another cough. “I have no legal heir to take the museum after my time. And my ex-wife and I have long been divorced.”

The miqo’te took a sip of her wine, gazing intently at the man across the table. “That’s a pity. I do wonder what will happen to the museum then. And if Cartius were to ever learn of your lack of any legal heir, he may feel inclined to strike at you before you can name one.”

Balor chuckled, taking a bite from his marmot steak and chewing it before speaking. “Let the Felstar do his worst. I do not fear him. As for your concern about the future of the museum, worry not. I could care less what happens to it after I’m gone. Why should I? Besides, I intend to live a long and healthy life.”

The miqo’te’s lips curled into a faint smile, Balor’s cough suddenly beginning to intensify. The man grasped his chest as his face revealed a great look of pain. He tried to speak but couldn’t, firmly grasping at the table before falling out of his chair to the ground. All the while, the miqo’te seemed completely unfazed, sipping her wine and watching the man with utter indifference. After a moment of watching the man struggle, the white-haired keeper of the moon finally rose from her seat and strode to the gasping noble, carefully kneeling beside him while keeping her pretty black dress as neat as possible.

“The Avalon Heritage Museum was initially fully funded by Lady Anabelle Felstar,” the woman chided the man softly. “It was safeguarded by the Mavanix clan, who kept it to themselves for generations. The museum is an entity that is steeped in familial roots. You are undeserving of such an inheritance. Lord Cartius gives his apologies for it having to come to this. But your death prior to the naming of a legal heir opens the door for a variety of state laws that favor House Felstar’s reacquisition of the museum.”

Balor stared in horror at the woman, weakly reaching out to her as she easily swatted his hand away. The noble tried to desperately scream for help but was unable to make a sound as the poison paralyzed him further. In a matter of moments, he was completely still. The man’s eyes slowly closed themselves as his breathing came to a halt.

Vertigo stared at the corpse a moment with a passive gaze before rising to her feet. She stepped over his body and took one more sip from her wine glass before composing herself. “It’s show time.”

The miqo’te’s smile turned into a feigned look of horror as she let out a staged bloodcurdling scream that resonated through the entire restaurant.

The noble's tragic death would be ruled as a heart attack, with no suspicion of foul play. A legal battle would ensue over the next couple moons in which the museum would eventually be returned to the possession of one Cartius Felstar...

RE: Transposition - Kylin - 02-16-2013

Gaining Tempo

Nefron sighed as she looked over the parchment, her eyes then gazing about the elegant but empty foyer before returning to her husband. “Darling, are you sure about this? It’s so expensive…”

Cartius smiled warmly at the well dressed priestess. “Money is no object when it comes to my family. You know that, love. Are you having second thoughts about moving to Ul’dah…?”

The woman gently tucked a strand of her black hair behind her ear and smiled warmly at Cartius. “Not at all. We’ve already discussed this. Ul’dah is your home, and Kylin’s. It’s best for both of you and for the family that House Felstar build itself anew here. And with the troubles in Ishgard, it’s only logical. Besides, it’ll be easier to manage the museum from here and I’m actually looking forward to working with the church here. It’ll be a wonderful new experience.”

Cartius moved to the nearly empty table where the parchment rested, glancing over it for likely the hundredth time. “I’m sorry if you’re disappointed in me, love.”

“You know I’m not,” Nefron stated with a firm expression on her face. “You are a businessman. The priesthood was something you were always uncomfortable with. Far be it from me or Islude to force something down your throat you don’t enjoy. I’m looking forward to this move.”

Cartius smiled as he picked up a quill sitting next to the parchment and signed the bottom of the page. “Then it’s done. This mansion is now our new home. House Felstar will build its new foundation here and become a force to be reckoned with.”

Elza sat on the edge of her sofa within her Gridania cabin, legs crossed. Her indigo hair flowed freely behind her in slight curls. She wore a tight fitting leather jerkin with matching leather pants, watching quietly as an elezen man carried a crate full of paper boats out of the cabin. The duskwight set the crate onto the porch before returning to the noblewoman. “That’s the last of ‘em. Lloyd said all the locks are changed and reinforced too. So all should be good as new, m’lady!”

Elza tilted her head, gazing toward the kitchen as the hyur known as Lloyd eyed a fresh apple in a fruit basket on the table. “Good. Let’s hope your locks work better than the last ones, for your sake. And if that Deirdre woman Kylin mentioned has the gall to return to my home and pollute it again, I’ll personally see to it that the harlot leaves in a body bag.”

The indigo-haired beauty glanced again to the kitchen, where Lloyd had finally conjured the courage to pick up the apple he was eyeing. Elza sighed quietly before reaching behind her for a small but elegantly crafted crossbow, knocking an arrow and letting it fly with deadly accuracy and speed. The arrow pierced the apple while it was still in Lloyd’s hand, attaching it to the opposite wall just as the hungry hyur went to take a bite. The man looked dazed, his eyes slowly moving to notice the arrow that could have easily pierced his skull.

“It’s not polite to help yourself to someone else’s belongings without permission,” Elza stated with an icy gaze at the gulping hyur. “Especially considering my current state of emotions over the elezen bitch my brother told me all about. Now be a doll and clean up the mess you forced me to make.”

Lloyd nodded with a faint sigh and carefully took the arrow out of the wall as a couple of burly roegadyn entered the cabin, one of them chuckling as he watched Elza put her bow away. “Well, all is set madame. What now?”

Elza smiled sweetly at the men in her living room. “Now we setup base and gather intel. A lot has happened since we’ve been gone it seems. It’s going to take time to get situated again. I think charity work will suit Sanctum well. There are plenty of orphans and war veterans who no doubt still need assistance following the damage from Dalamud. And House Felstar will certainly benefit from the positive publicity as an added boon.”

“Charity work,” the duskwight elezen said with a slight grunt.

Elza glared hard at the man. “There’s nothing wrong with helping those who need help. It will certainly not sway us from our main objective either way if that’s what you’re concerned about. Now then…I have a meeting with my father soon and he prefers to not see any of you as much as you all prefer to not see him.”

The men took the cue and scurried out of the cabin, one of the roegadyn bowing properly to Elza before exiting. Lloyd scurried out last, biting his lower lip and muttering something about not having eaten since morning.

“Good to be home again,” Elza said with a faint smirk as she twirled a single strand of her hair around her index finger. “Now to make the best of it on all fronts.”

Kylin panted heavily, wiping sweat from his brow as he hunched over in slight pain. The outdoor La Noscea breeze was the only thing keeping him from passing out. His muscles felt like they were ready to tear apart. The tight fitting leather armor wasn’t helping matters any. After taking a moment to recuperate, he charged with blade in hand toward the masked miqo’te standing across from him. The woman easily evaded the attack and then followed up by sweeping her feet under the hyur’s legs and sending him to the ground with a loud thud. Without hesitating, she pinned him to the ground and placed her dagger close to his throat.

“You’re not being nearly aggressive enough,” she stated with a sigh. “Were I a real enemy, you’d be dead by now Kylin.”

Vertigo put her dagger away and helped the clearly exhausted hyur back up. Kylin continued to pant, gazing up at the miqo’te. “How the hell are you not at all worn out yet?”

“I’ve been doing this for a long time,” Vertigo said in a soft tone. “All you need is more practice. You’re improving slow and steady.”

The blond hyur plopped his back up against a tree in order to keep himself propped up, his panting gradually slowing. “You and Elza both make it look so easy.”

A faint chuckle was audible under Vertigo’s mask. “Well you’re certainly more accomplished in the magical realm in comparison to either of us. So no need to beat yourself up. Your focus was merely on another area of expertise all this time. I applaud you for wanting to learn more physical combat.”

Kylin reached down for a cup of water sitting beneath the tree and took a sip. “After awhile, one gets tired of feeling helpless all the time…”

“Oh Kylin,” Vertigo said with a motherly sigh. “There are always going to be times when one is completely helpless, regardless of how strong one is. All you can do is prepare yourself in every possible way that your mind, body, and soul can take and then hope the preparations are enough. Now then…come at me again but mean it this time.”

Kylin nodded and readied his sword once more before rushing toward the masked miqo’te with fire in his eyes.

RE: Transposition - Kylin - 02-24-2013

Setting the Board

The following events take place just before present day events in A Realm Reborn.

“I’ll be home shortly my darling,” Cartius said lovingly into the linkpearl. The room around him was dimly lit. The Felstar patriarch’s expensive crimson robes matched his magnificent ruby ring. “You know how these silly meetings are. Everyone wants their exhibit front and center in the museum. Yes, yes. I love you too, Nefron. See you soon, my love.”

Cartius smiled faintly as he tucked the pearl away and turned around to meet the gaze of a gagged hyur midlander who was strapped to a wooden chair. The prisoner’s face had seen better days no doubt, blood trickling down his forehead, bruises on his cheeks and eyes, his clothes filthy, and non-fatal cuts all over his body. His auburn hair was a disheveled mess. A masked miqo’te, Vertigo, stood behind him. Her white hair was tied up neatly in a ponytail and her dark leather outfit blended almost too perfectly with the room, a sharp contrast to Cartius’s more regal attire.

Cartius strode calmly toward the man as Vertigo removed the gag from the prisoner’s mouth. The trapped man was trembling faintly, though was clearly trying desperately to hold his ground as a look of loathing emanated from his eyes. He spoke with contention in his voice. “You monster. You’ll never get your hands on it. So just give it up while you’re still ahead.”

Cartius smiled confidently as he placed a strong hand on the prisoner’s shoulder, causing the man to flinch slightly. “Never is a very long time. And there’s always one birdy out there who just can’t resist chirping. I wonder who amongst your family is the chirper…”

The prisoner’s eyes widened in horror. “Stay away from my family, you son of a bitch! I’m the only one who knows where it is. They know nothing. I swear if you even try…”

“You are hardly in a position to make threats,” Cartius said with a smug smile on his face. “Your determination to keep me from what’s mine is admirable though. I suppose it’s pointless to continue this if you’re adamant in taking this to your grave. So I bid you farewell.”

Cartius turned and walked toward the dark room’s entrance, exiting without another word. The imprisoned man began to tremble again as he heard Vertigo move behind him. Then everything went dark.

Elza smiled warmly as she handed the folder to the elezen woman standing in the Gridanian doorway. “So as soon as the permission slips are signed by the orphanage, we should be able to set a date for the field trip. I’ve listed  a few dates in there as suggestions as to what will work best for the museum.”

The elezen woman took the folder with a smile, glancing at the files within briefly before tucking the file beneath her arm. She then tucked a strand of her short red hair behind her ear before speaking. “Thank you so much, Elza. I can’t tell you how much the orphanage appreciates your attention. Please pass my thanks to all those in Sanctum who helped with this.”

“It’s our pleasure,” Elza said softly with a gentle look in her eyes. “House Felstar believes very strongly in equal education opportunities for all children. That includes those who continue to have to deal with the unfortunate fallout years ago.”

A linkpearl strapped to Elza’s leather belt began to glow faintly. The Sanctum leader frowned slightly. “I’m sorry to cut our visit so short. I have to take this.”

“Of course,” the elezen woman replied. “I’m sure your work is never done. Thank you again and we’ll see you soon hopefully!”

Elza smiled and waved into the room behind the elezen, where several eager children waved back. “See you all in a couple weeks at the field trip!”

“Bye Miss Elza!” The children shouted in partial unison as the smiling elezen slowly shut the door behind her.

Elza turned and began to walk down the Gridanian pathway with a happy smile on her face as she took the linkpearl from her belt strap. “Yes?”

“Everything is set to go at the Bannock,” the male voice responded. “All we gotta do now is time it just right.”

“Wonderful,” Elza stated softly as she continued walking down the path toward her cabin in an almost seductive stride. The hyur reached into a small pouch attached to her belt and withdrew a single chess piece, the black queen. “The Twin Adders won’t know what hit them.”

Kylin crossed his arms as the museum curator continued to ramble endlessly. The exhibit hall was empty, save the two hyurs. Kylin wore an elegant longcoat with matching high rise boots and leather gauntlets. The coat itself was tight enough from the waist up to show his more masculine figure. His short platinum blond hair remained down, bangs covering most of his forehead. The young hyur man, clearly tired of hearing the old man talk endlessly, finally held up a single hand to silence him.

“Let’s just move the exhibit to the Oracle’s Chamber in the west wing,” Kylin stated matter-of-factly. “Its current location is out of the way for that part of the tour anyway.”

“I suppose we could do that,” the old curator said softly. “But the Oracle’s Chamber was originally reserved for the Astronomy Exhibit.”

“Ah yes, I had forgotten about that. Is there a reason we still haven’t got that exhibit up for presentation?”

The curator nodded and sighed deeply. “A key centerpiece of the exhibit was Ekdinah Mavanix’s prophetic orb. The lady had actually intended to donate it to the exhibit years ago prior to her unfortunate demise over five years ago.”

Kylin raised an eyebrow, seemingly caught off guard by the mentioning of Ekidnah’s name. “Ah yes, I recall that day quite clearly. She had the artifact with her at the time of her demise. I’d bet one of those rogue mercenaries took it like the vultures they are. Keep the exhibit on the back burner. I’ll find the artifact and return it to our hands, one way or another.”

The curator bowed before exiting the empty museum chamber. Kylin stared at the single piece of painted art on the wall before him, though it was debatable whether his mind was on the exquisite painting of a draconic creature emerging from Dalamud or on something else entirely. After a long moment of silence, a voice from a linkpearl attached to his belt could be heard. The hyur unbuckled the pearl and put it to his ear. He smiled faintly to himself. “Ah, finally. Actual meaningful progress with the excavation. Yes, I’ll be at the ruins shortly. Tell the miners to halt further work until I arrive.”