Hydaelyn Role-Players
Erm... Moogle character? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Erm... Moogle character? (/showthread.php?tid=15128)

Pages: 1 2

Erm... Moogle character? - Lamiaris - 02-01-2016

This is probably a stupid idea <_> Please don't bash my head in! XD
But I was thinking about playing a Moogle.. Not exactly one of those fuzzy floaters portrayed in FFXIV, but I suppose a more... anthropomorphized one?

Plesae, please, please... NO jokes or crticisms about 'furfags' , 'furries', or anything like that.. I want some serious answers and constructive help... Anyone able to give their thoughts on this idea?

If it can't necessarily be a more anthropomorphized one, I DID have an idea that could be a bit of a "compromise"..?

RE: Erm... Moogle character? - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-01-2016

* Unnamed Mercenary takes out the fluffiest of pillows and lightly pats OP with it

I'm...just gonna link the other person I know of who tried to RP as a moogle. Personally, I think you may run into some trouble as say, a FF Tactics/Ivalice Moogle trying to fit into a world where that doesn't really exist. It would be like trying to RP a Viera, or a Baanga, or a Guado (FFX), or any other race that we've yet to see actually exist in the game.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=11590&highlight=moogle

RE: Erm... Moogle character? - Erik Mynhier - 02-01-2016

As I understand only certain people can see moogles unless the moogle wants to be seen or something like that. As it was explained to me its sort of mythic fairy rules. Most would honestly just pretend they cannot see you as it seems a bit off by most rpers standards.

(02-01-2016, 06:28 PM)Erik Mynhier Wrote: As I understand only certain people can see moogles unless the moogle wants to be seen or something like that. As it was explained to me its sort of mythic fairy rules. Most would honestly just pretend they cannot see you as it seems a bit off by most rpers standards.

Those are specifically the Moogles found in FFXIV. ...which isn't what the OP is asking about.

I think the topic is on Moogles like this:
[Image: latest?cb=20090304193142]

And not this:
[Image: 0a3a6ce0af25c06c4f9e50c5f23337ed.jpg]

RE: Erm... Moogle character? - Lamiaris - 02-01-2016

(02-01-2016, 06:31 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(02-01-2016, 06:28 PM)Erik Mynhier Wrote: As I understand only certain people can see moogles unless the moogle wants to be seen or something like that. As it was explained to me its sort of mythic fairy rules. Most would honestly just pretend they cannot see you as it seems a bit off by most rpers standards.

Those are specifically the Moogles found in FFXIV. ...which isn't what the OP is asking about.

I think the topic is on Moogles like this:
[Image: latest?cb=20090304193142]

And not this:
[Image: 0a3a6ce0af25c06c4f9e50c5f23337ed.jpg]
For the anthropomorphized version, I was talking about that first Moogle style.
However, the other idea(s) I had would actually apply to the FFXIV-type moogle.. Which admittedly, I'm not entirely sure if I should divulge.. *nervous sweatdrops*

Heck, truth be told, I wasn't even aware of FFTactics or that first moogle you showed, until you actually, well... showed it as a picture! O_o

An anthropomorphized Moogle would be a bit difficult to explain within FFXIV's universe.

I would probably suggest working with the existing Moogle framework, although still, I think many people would have difficulty taking the concept seriously OOC. IC, roleplaying one would probably yield a lot of surprised reactions.

We know from the King Mog fight in 2.1 and Moghome in 3.0, that there are at least two societies of Moogles with different naming conventions. And however we want to classify the various Moogles who handle mail for adventurers.

--

side note: In FF-Tactics/Ivalice, Moogles are one of the standard races of the game. Equal rights and all that. So they aren't really seen as mythical creatures as much as say, a Hyur thinks nothing of a Miqo'te. That isn't quite so the case in FFXIV.

(02-01-2016, 06:42 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: I would probably suggest working with the existing Moogle framework, although still, I think many people would have difficulty taking the concept seriously OOC. IC, roleplaying one would probably yield a lot of surprised reactions.

We know from the King Mog fight in 2.1 and Moghome in 3.0, that there are at least two societies of Moogles with different naming conventions. And however we want to classify the various Moogles who handle mail for adventurers.

side note: In FF-Tactics/Ivalice, Moogles are one of the standard races of the game. Equal rights and all that. So they aren't really seen as mythical creatures as much as say, a Hyur thinks nothing of a Miqo'te. That isn't quite so the case in FFXIV.

Well, I suppose there's not really any harm in giving it a try. And yeah , I think I'll work within the framework. And  it sounds like you're saying that moogles are somewhat of a rarity in FFXIV?

(02-01-2016, 06:51 PM)Lamiaris Wrote: Well, I suppose there's not really any harm in giving it a try. And yeah , I think I'll work within the framework. And  it sounds like you're saying that moogles are somewhat of a rarity in FFXIV?

They are a more secluded sort, and are very quick to hide. It's a really big deal that the Warrior of Light / Main Character can see them when they're hidden and understand them when they aren't purposely speaking in a common language.

The 1.0 and 2.0 opening scenes for Gridania show a little of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xnhhJisWNs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjUKuUzo-Gw

I'm not sure how far you are in the game, but there are a series of quests in which you must find hidden moogles as well.

I have beaten the main ARR storyline, though I BARELY remember any of it. The moogle bits stck out here and there, but... yeah..

I did have two other ideas though.. Should I mention them? <_>

RE: Erm... Moogle character? - Teadrinker - 02-01-2016

(02-01-2016, 07:41 PM)Lamiaris Wrote: I have beaten the main ARR storyline, though I BARELY remember any of it. The moogle bits stck out here and there, but... yeah..

I did have two other ideas though.. Should I mention them? <_>

You can mention or ask about anything.

The answers you receive should be based within the boundaries of the lore. If it falls outside those boundaries it's not meant as any sort of personal affront.

RE: Erm... Moogle character? - Kellach Woods - 02-01-2016

If you've beaten ARR Main Story, I suggest doing the Postmoogle quests - there are a few that explain various aspects of moogledom (most specifically the Postmoogle himself, but also a bit about them) and/or rushing into HW content and fully completing the Churning Mists.

Good background on the Moogles, and may give you a few ideas.

Warmly,

Your friendly Hyuran Postmoogle, or Posthyur, if you prefer.

RE: Erm... Moogle character? - Momo - 02-02-2016

Best bet in my opinion?  Two different things:

Moogle Bestie: Working a moogle into your story, met as a child or something, wouldn't be hard, you wouldn't nearly as many protests likely, and you can have that Mog be invisible at times, or off doing Mog things, something to think about though?

Raised by Mogs: So this one sort of says itself as well, you were lost in the forest, picked up by Mogs and raised to adulthood, and are close to the Mogs, maybe have one come with you places to experience our society from a different point of view?  This one could just as well be combined with the first?

Either way, these two would be much better bets to play than your original idea, which you would need to find a very specific crowd to work yourself into, good luck!

RE: Erm... Moogle character? - Warren Castille - 02-02-2016

It's a sliding scale, really. The more out-there an idea is, the less likely it is to be accepted by the whole of a community. Playing races or creatures that don't exist will raise eyebrows (not to mention, be difficult to convey in roleplay without specifically reminding everyone that you're not your character model).

RE: Erm... Moogle character? - Nebbs - 02-02-2016

You claim to be a moogle, maybe you are a moogle boddy swapped in some delivery based accident or maybe just insane.