Hydaelyn Role-Players
What art equipment do you use? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Artisan House (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: What art equipment do you use? (/showthread.php?tid=15155)

Pages: 1 2

What art equipment do you use? - Ashianna - 02-04-2016

Hey there! It's been awhile since I've posted on these forums and i'm not in game as much as I once was, partially due to the fact that I have started drawing seriously again. I haven't really done so steadily since my early 20's, but I hoping with practice it will come back quickly.

Aside from traditional drawing (pencil and paper, which I do as well) hubby has been telling me that I can update my art stuff if I'd like so I've been browsing around. Currently, I have the Wacom Intuos Pen and Touch Medium Tablet which still works well enough for being 3 years old, but I also draw from time to time on a Note tablet with the stylus. I do enjoy the portability of drawing on the tablet yet there aren't quite as many features as you can get on a PC. I've heard lots of good things about the Ipad Pro and the Apple Pencil, but I want to do A LOT of research before I drop that kind of money on a tablet of my own. Those things are as expensive as the cheaper Cintiq's.... Dazed

So, what do you use to make all the wonderful art I have seen on these boards? Any recommendations you may have as I continue my research is also very welcome! Smile

RE: What art equipment do you use? - Arrelaine - 02-04-2016

I have a cheap tablet, it's like $40. XD It's a Tursion TWA60, it's lasted me a good few years now. The program I use is Clip Studio Paint, I bought the version with all the manga pages (even though I haven't made a page yet...).

RE: What art equipment do you use? - Marcy - 02-04-2016

I've used an Intuous 4 for about five years (I think it's pretty much rebranded as the Pen&Touch now?). Last year I've invested into a Surface Pro 3, which has been an incredible asset to both my speed and productivity. I love this thing, had very few issues with it, and recently MS has released a series of "softer" nibs that allow for a range of glide/drag and feel more like pencils of different hardness.

It was between a SP3 and Cintiq Companion, and the Surface won. It's a full, portable workstation that runs a complete version of PS and has excellent battery power. I cannot recommend the Surface Book as the artists I know have had numerous software and hardware issues, but the Surface Pro 3 is still a solid piece of hardware.

The main problem behind the Ipad Pro/Apple Pencil, to me, is that it is really underpowered for the price. I did try to sketch on one, and it IS nice, but it just lacks the hardware and tools (*coughPScough*) needed to make complete work. It's a really, really expensive digital sketchbook.

RE: What art equipment do you use? - AekiraSwyfte - 02-04-2016

I'm currently using a combination of a Wacom Intuos5 and a 2010 iMac, and my favorite software is definitely Photoshop. Needless to say, though, I don't do a lot of digital art on the go.

While I'm always gonna be pro-apple for just about anything, if you want something mobile with as much versatility AND the ability to support some of the more common art programs than the Surface might be the way to go. However, if you're intent on an iMac and an apple pencil (really though? why's a stylus so expensive?) I DO know of a few similar programs that operate on the iPad. How well, though, I have no idea.

RE: What art equipment do you use? - Maia - 02-04-2016

I have the older version of the Wacom Cintiq 22HD. I splurged and bought it about... 5 years ago...?

Meaning that I charged it to a credit card and paid it off over time. Wink It was a good investment though, because I had so much trouble making the leap from traditional media (which I absolutely love to do, but never scans well) to digital.

As far as recommendations that are more reasonably priced, I've been having a lot of fun with Lazy Nezumi lately. It's technically an add-on, but I think it helps make digital linework feel more natural. On a piece of paper I have no problem drawing straight, smooth contours, but I had trouble making lines of that same consistency in Adobe. (If you're a student, you can get a legit copy of Adobe Photoshop for ~$100, which is sweet. Before that I used GIMP.)

Anyway, Lazy Nezumi makes it feel more like what I'm used to. When I apply X pressure/stroke, X line happens. It also has a 30-day free trial so you can try before you buy, which is nice. The cost is $30 if you fancy it.

(02-04-2016, 07:06 PM)AekiraSwyfte Wrote: I'm currently using a combination of a Wacom Intuos5 and a 2010 iMac, and my favorite software is definitely Photoshop. Needless to say, though, I don't do a lot of digital art on the go.

While I'm always gonna be pro-apple for just about anything, if you want something mobile with as much versatility AND the ability to support some of the more common art programs than the Surface might be the way to go. However, if you're intent on an iMac and an apple pencil (really though? why's a stylus so expensive?) I DO know of a few similar programs that operate on the iPad. How well, though, I have no idea.

Procreate is a pretty good PS clone, and can export PS files. The problem with the IpadPro comes in when its hardware is put to test -- it cannot handle big file sizes or too many layers well, which makes it useless for any kind of serious work, or painting. It's GREAT at what it's meant to do, though, which is sketching.

The Cintiq Companion is also nice, but it's larger and heavier than a Surface, making it (ironically) way less portable. SP3 does not use the Wacom drivers, which is an absolute blessing for someone that has been in an abusive relationship with them for almost a decade.

As a final note, it really, really isn't the tools that make the artist. The only difference between an on-screen tablet and a tablet accessory is the slight increase in speed and coordination that comes with knowing where you put down a line. I still use my Intuous for certain projects!

RE: What art equipment do you use? - Ramen - 02-04-2016

At the moment I'm basically slamming my face against the keyboard and hoping pictures come out.

RE: What art equipment do you use? - Eliane Dufresne - 02-04-2016

(02-04-2016, 06:52 PM)Marcy Wrote: I've used an Intuous 4 for about five years (I think it's pretty much rebranded as the Pen&Touch now?). Last year I've invested into a Surface Pro 3, which has been an incredible asset to both my speed and productivity. I love this thing, had very few issues with it, and recently MS has released a series of "softer" nibs that allow for a range of glide/drag and feel more like pencils of different hardness.

It was between a SP3 and Cintiq Companion, and the Surface won. It's a full, portable workstation that runs a complete version of PS and has excellent battery power. I cannot recommend the Surface Book as the artists I know have had numerous software and hardware issues, but the Surface Pro 3 is still a solid piece of hardware.

The main problem behind the Ipad Pro/Apple Pencil, to me, is that it is really underpowered for the price. I did try to sketch on one, and it IS nice, but it just lacks the hardware and tools (*coughPScough*) needed to make complete work. It's a really, really expensive digital sketchbook.

Can't agree with this enough. I'm one of those people who picked up digital art too late to have mastered a wacom tablet in my youth, so I really struggle with the "disconnect" that comes from using one. I use an SP3 as my "poor woman's cintiq" (not that they're cheap, either <.<), and it's been perhaps the most invaluable tool I've ever invested in. If you do go this route, make sure to spring for the new pens with the interchangeable nibs as well -- they're worth it, and the stock pen the SP3 comes with won't endure hours of drawing anyway. I wound up somehow snapping the nib on mine. :/

If photoshop is too expensive/daunting, I highly recommend running Clip Studio Paint on it instead. It's like a TLDR version of photoshop, but is still a fairly powerful program that allows you to work quickly and efficiently. It comes with a ton of nice illustration resources, too. I honestly prefer it over Photoshop but I also primarily draw comics and cell-shaded style stuff, so ymmv. For more detailed stuff, PS is probably the way to go, although I've been able to pull off photorealism in CSPaint as well.

...man, I sound like a shill in this post. *laughs*

RE: What art equipment do you use? - Coatleque - 02-04-2016

Three of these in HB, 2H, and 2B, a see-through 12" ruler, and a vinyl eraser.

[Image: 954.jpg?s=0158620726ad1c5fd85c7e4f8952cf4e]

As far as photoshop clones go, Krita is pretty good. I am yet to test it extensively, but lots of concept art friends use it, or have switched to it entirely. Open source represent!

RE: What art equipment do you use? - Capheira - 02-04-2016

I'm still slumming it with the Intuous 3 tablet, though I'm using Photoshop CS6 program-wise.

(02-04-2016, 11:25 PM)Capheira Wrote: I'm still slumming it with the Intuous 3 tablet, though I'm using Photoshop CS6 program-wise.

Actually kind of jealous because the Int 3 pen weight and tablet make was superior to anything Wacom has put out since. My friend bought TWO when he learned they are getting discontinued, and I am sad I didn't think of that.

RE: What art equipment do you use? - Ashianna - 02-05-2016

I've thought about the Surface Pro 3 as well. I have heard good things about that one.

When I started drawing all those years ago *coughs* I did it with paper and pencils or charcoal. It wasn't until the last couple years that I have tried to learn the digital way of doing things. I actually have Photoshop CS6, but I don't know it that well yet. I've also used Sketchbook Pro a bit and it's definitely easier, but I know there is way more functionality in PS. I'm sure I'll learn how to use it better in time.

I'm still up in the air on what I want to buy, but you all have definitely given me some food for thought. It's definitely a big purchase and something I want to consider carefully before doing so. The only plus to getting the Ipad Pro is I can get it through my cellular company and make payments on it instead of paying it all up front Laugh Even with the easy of payments, I want to make sure I'll be happy with. There are many choices out there and since this is the only one i am going to be getting for a long, LONG while, I figured I better do my research. It definitely helps hearing what other artists experience's are with all the choices that are out there. Thank you, everyone! Heart

(That's definitely not my way of ending the discussion, I'd love to hear more of what people think. Besides, might help another future artist! )

RE: What art equipment do you use? - Surilian - 02-05-2016

I'll put in my two cents! I personally use a Intuos Pen small (I guess it was once the 4..I have the newer renamed one). Its small enough so I can toss it in my bag and take my laptop and art on the go if I'm out.

Program wise I actually use 3. Manga studio 5 for the pen control since some days my hands shake, I use Krita for some of the brushes then Sketchbook pro for a different brush set if I must. Though I mainly live in MS5.

RE: What art equipment do you use? - Ashianna - 02-05-2016

How do you like Manga Studio 5? I had considered getting it before I saw the sale around Christmas/New Years for a year of Sketchbook Pro for $15. I figured it's as much as a sub for the many mmo's out there for a years worth of use, so I decided to give SBP a try.