Hydaelyn Role-Players
What art equipment do you use? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Artisan House (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: What art equipment do you use? (/showthread.php?tid=15155)

Pages: 1 2

RE: What art equipment do you use? - Surilian - 02-05-2016

(02-05-2016, 01:49 AM)Ashianna Wrote: How do you like Manga Studio 5? I had considered getting it before I saw the sale around Christmas/New Years for a year of Sketchbook Pro for $15. I figured it's as much as a sub for the many mmo's out there for a years worth of use, so I decided to give SBP a try.

Its a bit of a scary learning curve (tool wise) ..BUT once you get it and understand that its not photoshop (requires you to understand the fundamentals of real paints if you use the oil and watercolor brush) its amazing. Sketchbook is nice but crashed when I had to many layers so I use the brushes as a finisher after my MS piece is done.

RE: What art equipment do you use? - Burd - 02-05-2016

I've been drawing off and on for the last 12 years or so (and have progressed abysmally.) While my hardware hasn't improved, I've upgraded my software significantly. I'm currently using a super old Wacom Bamboo and Photoshop CC 2015. That, plus the slew of brushes I've acquired from ImagineFX discs and some paid brush packs have really helped me expand my art toolbox. I used to use Paint Tool Sai and Corel Painter, but they weren't conducive to the styles I was trying to achieve.

RE: What art equipment do you use? - Marcy - 02-05-2016

I know I plug him a lot, but Kyle Webster's brushes are really unrivaled when it comes to PS brush packs.

http://www.kyletwebster.com/

He has a few free ones! Give them a try. The Animator Pencil especially is an incredibly comfortable sketching brush.

RE: What art equipment do you use? - Burd - 02-05-2016

(02-05-2016, 06:43 PM)Marcy Wrote: I know I plug him a lot, but Kyle Webster's brushes are really unrivaled when it comes to PS brush packs.

He has a few free ones! Give them a try. The Animator Pencil especially is an incredibly comfortable sketching brush.

^ This. His gouache pack changed how I sketch, and his prices are really reasonable for what you're getting.

RE: What art equipment do you use? - Ilwe'ran - 02-05-2016

My mouse and Aseprite (I have a tablet but doesn't work fine with Aseprite, one day I'll figure that out Big Grin)

RE: What art equipment do you use? - Ashianna - 02-06-2016

(02-05-2016, 06:43 PM)Marcy Wrote: I know I plug him a lot, but Kyle Webster's brushes are really unrivaled when it comes to PS brush packs.

I just took a look at these. Very nice selection! Thank you for passing it along. I think I'll have to give a few of these a try Smile

RE: What art equipment do you use? - Freaja - 02-06-2016

I use a Wacom Pen and Touch Small for my tablet. I've only had mine a little over a year but I love it. I do understand the disconnect problem, though, as I still sometimes struggle with that since I'm use to creating directly on a surface I can see. I couldn't afford any of the visual type products at the time so I'm really not sure about the various tablets.

As for programs, I use PaintTool SAI. I was $45 and a good option for someone who just wants to draw for the fun of it with the occasional commission here or there. To me it's easy to use and not as complex as some of the other art programs I've seen. I saw someone mention Krita, I have actually downloaded this and played with it a little. Nothing terribly extensive but it seems like it would be a great background making program and has features my PaintTool does not. Add to it, it's open source and completely free. Another open source product is called Inkscape. I haven't played with this program at all but it seems to have some nice features. If either of these seem like something you're interested in trying, I say download them, play with them, and if you don't like one or the other or both, no harm no foul. 

Good luck, hun! I hope this forum helps you find what you're looking for!

RE: What art equipment do you use? - Ashianna - 02-07-2016

It has actually! I think I am going to stick with my Intous PT Medium at the moment, but several software names have been listed that I am going to look into. As far as something a bit more portable (other than pen and paper of course! ), I'm going to take a bit longer to decide and do my research. Several people have made some great points to think about and tablets are expensive, so no need for me to rush.

Perhaps when I'm feeling a bit more confident and have a few decent pieces to share, I'll add some art to the forums here. Thanks for all the input, everyone! Smile

RE: What art equipment do you use? - Marcy - 02-09-2016

(02-07-2016, 02:17 AM)Ashianna Wrote: It has actually! I think I am going to stick with my Intous PT Medium at the moment, but several software names have been listed that I am going to look into. As far as something a bit more portable (other than pen and paper of course! ), I'm going to take a bit longer to decide and do my research. Several people have made some great points to think about and tablets are expensive, so no need for me to rush.

Perhaps when I'm feeling a bit more confident and have a few decent pieces to share, I'll add some art to the forums here. Thanks for all the input, everyone! Smile

Thanks for putting up the thread! It's been very helpful, and I hope people continue to share resources.

Looking forward to seeing you post some art now!

RE: What art equipment do you use? - Yandros - 02-09-2016

Pliers.  Tongue

((Completely not the style of art you do, but hey!  It is what I use, and I was feeling a little snarky today.  Please forgive me...lol))

RE: What art equipment do you use? - Ashianna - 02-10-2016

Totally alright! Got a smile and laugh out of me!

And hey, it's still art! I've seen some of my friends do amazing things with pliers. One of them makes beautiful Jewelry. Now that is a talent I am envious of! I'd just make a mess of the wires. Cry

(02-09-2016, 04:49 PM)Marcy Wrote: Thanks for putting up the thread! It's been very helpful, and I hope people continue to share resources.

Definitely! I glad that other people were able to take away something from this thread as well. I don't have a lot of artistic friends to ask these questions. Most people I know would look at me like I had two heads, so I am very glad we have a collective of artist here to help and support each other. Heart

RE: What art equipment do you use? - Yandros - 02-10-2016

(02-10-2016, 12:56 PM)Ashianna Wrote: Totally alright! Got a smile and laugh out of me!

And hey, it's still art! I've seen some of my friends do amazing things with pliers. One of them makes beautiful Jewelry. Now that is a talent I am envious of! I'd just make a mess of the wires. Cry

Haha!  Glad my post wasn't taken badly then.  And I actually do chainmail, scale mail, and now just starting to get into working with leather.  I'm actually in the process of designing a pattern for a FFXIV dice bag at the moment.  Still working on it, as most of the designs for the game are complex.  But I am thinking of doing a set of bags, one for each of the Job symbols.

Anyways, here is a very minor example of things I do with said pliers.  Much is work in progress, but gives an idea of it all.  
http://tinyurl.com/p2asujv