Hydaelyn Role-Players
Translating Wuthering Heights to Roegadyn language - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Translating Wuthering Heights to Roegadyn language (/showthread.php?tid=15173)

Translating Wuthering Heights to Roegadyn language - Yuella - 02-07-2016

Hi!  I want to name my Roe "Wuthering Heights" because it's my favorite english novel.  I could make a Hellsguard and just name him Wuthering Heights but a Sea Wolves marauder would fit the character more.

I think Wuthering can be translated to Stormy wind so Styrmwaen?  Heights can mean hill but there's no hill so mountain (Berk).  I can make it "son of the mountain" so Styrmwaen Berksyn?

or...

I can make Wuthering Heights the first name (Styrmberk / Styrmberk?) and the last name can describe the main character (Heathcliff) who is an uncultivated person (wild son, Wiltsyn?).  So the name is Styrmberk Wiltsyn.

Styrmwaen Berksyn vs Styrmberk Wiltsyn ?

or I can just name my Sea Wolves "Wuthering Heights" since I read some Sea Wolves use common language?

RE: Translating Wuthering Heights to Roegadyn language - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-07-2016

Sea Wolves and Hellsguards can use both naming conventions. It's not uncommon for them to.

It's just that typically, Sea Wolves use the traditional language and Hellsguards translate their given name into common.

There are some named NPCs for both to back it up.

RE: Translating Wuthering Heights to Roegadyn language - Savo - 02-07-2016

Is naming a sea wolf Wuthering Heights phonetically also a possibility.  Say something like:  Wuthryn Hyts, or Whythenyn Haigts?  Then when asked what it means translated you might say it means: Victorian Affair or Torrid Passion.

Also Cassyryn Yrmshaw makes a pretty cool Sea Wolf name.

-just some thoughts.

RE: Translating Wuthering Heights to Roegadyn language - Roe Dad - 02-07-2016

What unnamed said is they both can have either since they interbreed a lot or come from different points I personally am a huge fan of the traditional Roegadyn language so I would go with that in my opinion.

RE: Translating Wuthering Heights to Roegadyn language - Lost River - 02-07-2016

I love both naming conventions for the Roes, so much I have two of them. But as far as such, I think there is a link that has the naming conventions. 

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/61152-Roegadyn-Naming-Conventions

Hope this helps.

RE: Translating Wuthering Heights to Roegadyn language - Smagon - 02-07-2016

I'll be honest, I was somewhat disappointed when I opened this thread because for some reason I was expecting to see the song by Kate Bush translated into Roegadyn.

RE: Translating Wuthering Heights to Roegadyn language - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-07-2016

(02-07-2016, 02:23 PM)Savo Wrote: Is naming a sea wolf Wuthering Heights phonetically also a possibility.  Say something like:  Wuthryn Hyts, or Whythenyn Haigts?  Then when asked what it means translated you might say it means: Victorian Affair or Torrid Passion.

Also Cassyryn Yrmshaw makes a pretty cool Sea Wolf name.

-just some thoughts.

The letters in Roegadyn names are actually separate words built from their dictionary. Lost River linked it. ...so it's not that they just substitute certain sounds, but that their names are very much [word][maybe a connector][word] [word][maybe a connector][word][syn/wyn, depending on gender and gender of parent being referred to]. The surname is actually a parent's name, much like how we have "Jacobson" for "Jacob's son" etc.

RE: Translating Wuthering Heights to Roegadyn language - C'kayah Polaali - 02-08-2016

(02-07-2016, 03:48 PM)Smagon Wrote: I'll be honest, I was somewhat disappointed when I opened this thread because for some reason I was expecting to see the song by Kate Bush translated into Roegadyn.

You and me both, Smagon. You and me both.

So! Just for you...

Show Content

RE: Translating Wuthering Heights to Roegadyn language - Yuella - 02-09-2016

Just created my Sea Wolves.  His name is Wuthering Heights and he's a Marauder in Zodiark server ^^

I plan for this character to not finish the MSQ. going to play through Ifrit and he deserts the Scions and focus on the working for the Maelstorm.