Hydaelyn Role-Players
3.2 Story and Discovery Thread: HERE BE [SPOILERS] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: 3.2 Story and Discovery Thread: HERE BE [SPOILERS] (/showthread.php?tid=15352)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

3.2 Story and Discovery Thread: HERE BE [SPOILERS] - Warren Castille - 02-24-2016

Discuss the MSQ revelations and surprises. Things I learned:

1) Linkshells are widely used but apparently super duper insecure!
2) The motherfucking MOON
3) The player watches Thancred watching Warrior of Darkness watching Krile
4) Sei is a fucking wizard for managing to construct an incredibly accurate story based on draconic corruption two years before we got to see what it would look like in Estinien
5) Aymeric is so fucking dead

RE: 3.2 Story and Discovery Thread: HERE BE [SPOILERS] - allgivenover - 02-24-2016

Succor is corruptible (reverse status in Lost City HM).

The abuse of Succor by the Amdapori included giving life to the dead and to maybe inanimate objects.

That Succor could still be used by the Amdapori suggests that it's a power the Elementals use but do not directly control.

Unkalahai(sp) is a Void Mage?

Think it was Ilberd picking the mask up at the end.

More evidence of aether being used by non mages for shenanigans (Raubahn).

My retainer knows White Magic, for me this makes limiting jobs in RP ridiculous (not that I intend to use it).

Sephirot quest again reiterated that there are unnamed friends of the WoL that have the echo (not that we didn't know this but I'm aware there are hold outs on how viable echo RP is).

Speculation: eventually we will go to the moon and do lunar subterranean from IV.

Could have done with more Amdapor lore than we got but overall a pretty good patch.

RE: 3.2 Story and Discovery Thread: HERE BE [SPOILERS] - Caspar - 02-24-2016

Raubahn made me wish we'd gotten to fight him with both arms. Whether it's aether or not, he does some outrageously crazy stuff.

It seems like the idea of Hydaelyn having consciousness and a will is merely a theory to a lot of people, unless I'm misunderstanding.

RE: 3.2 Story and Discovery Thread: HERE BE [SPOILERS] - Warren Castille - 02-24-2016

Also, after years of Aaron stealing Thancred's look, Thancred is retaliating by stealing Aaron's personality.

RE: 3.2 Story and Discovery Thread: HERE BE [SPOILERS] - allgivenover - 02-24-2016

Who is Aaron?

Also with Raubahn I'm going with aether because nothing else makes any sense.

RE: 3.2 Story and Discovery Thread: HERE BE [SPOILERS] - mongi291 - 02-24-2016

So, I was right about a lot of things.
1) Minfilia would come back as a Hydaelyn's reincarnation or something like that. = check.
2) Emmanellain would screw up. Badly. = check.
3) Estinien would be back, corrupted by Nidhogg. = everyone expected that, but... check.
4) The war wouldn't end that simply, because otherwise they'd have nothing for future patches before 4.0. = check.

Also, that maid was just pure evil.

I don't see how the maid was pure evil.

RE: 3.2 Story and Discovery Thread: HERE BE [SPOILERS] - FreelanceWizard - 02-24-2016

I love me some Lost City HM. If you keep an eye out, there's some seriously interesting lore implications that allgivenover has laid out. Smile Amdapor was naaaaaaughty. They were also evidently able to conjure static magical traps, invoke powers of Succor far beyond anything the WoL can do (Ancient Holy), and even create light and darkness aspected sprites.

Of course, the padjal feel that these were all defensive measures, but express consternation and confusion that the elementals were so put off by them. They surmise it was because the entities couldn't discern friend from foe due to age -- but I wonder if, perhaps, at the height of Amdapor's power, they felt anyone not with them was against them. The elementals and the padjal would've fallen into that category.

"Life" and "light," as it turns out, can be turned to darker ends. It's an interesting reflection on where the MSQ appears to be heading.

RE: 3.2 Story and Discovery Thread: HERE BE [SPOILERS] - McBeefâ„¢ - 02-24-2016

(02-24-2016, 10:21 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: 4) Sei is a fucking wizard for managing to construct an incredibly accurate story based on draconic corruption two years before we got to see what it would look like in Estinien
This is actually a discussion I've had with people in the past. Certain things Square Enix has done have been so similar to plots we've run that we almost thought they'd been reading the forums. 

However I think they're just really good at foreshadowing events. They put little hints in the lore of where the story is going.

RE: 3.2 Story and Discovery Thread: HERE BE [SPOILERS] - Warren Castille - 02-24-2016

(02-24-2016, 12:58 PM)McBeef© Wrote:
(02-24-2016, 10:21 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: 4) Sei is a fucking wizard for managing to construct an incredibly accurate story based on draconic corruption two years before we got to see what it would look like in Estinien
This is actually a discussion I've had with people in the past. Certain things Square Enix has done have been so similar to plots we've run that we almost thought they'd been reading the forums. 

However I think they're just really good at foreshadowing events. They put little hints in the lore of where the story is going.

Why not both? I'm obviously going to bat for my friend, but that storyline was concluded creatively before patch 2.3 even came out, before we knew shit about shit with Ishgard or Dragons beyond the original MSQ. When Heavensward launch dropped the bomb about the dragon eyes (beyond Nidhogg) everyone involved basically freaked out at how eerily close the concepts were to one another.

I did think it was a bit of a bullshit excuse to not killed Big Lady V when they revealed Estinien, though. The most prolific dragon hunter, fueled by a ton of dragon power, fails to land a lethal strike? Despite skewering and then driving the spear through her? Alright, SE, we get it; You won't change your quest-givers. I dislike the level of protection that affords NPCs.

RE: 3.2 Story and Discovery Thread: HERE BE [SPOILERS] - Shoshopu - 02-24-2016

(02-24-2016, 10:21 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: 5) Aymeric is so fucking dead

I began the mourning process as soon as he asked me for a drink in the first goddanged cutscene

(02-24-2016, 11:06 AM)allgivenover Wrote: The abuse of Succor by the Amdapori included giving life to the dead and to maybe inanimate objects.

How so? I mean we saw some undead Amdapori and Mhachi enemies but I figured they were just your standard undead (unsurprising since the place was crawling with voidsent, not every body could be properly put to rest), not a successful attempt at bringing the dead back to life, unless the former actually is what you were implying and I misunderstood- I felt like there wasn't much lore revealed in the new dungeon (as much as I loved what we got) so I'm feeling like there must've been something I missed somewhere.

(02-24-2016, 11:23 AM)Caspar Wrote: Raubahn made me wish we'd gotten to fight him with both arms. Whether it's aether or not, he does some outrageously crazy stuff.

Fyrilsunn said this to me: "For once Fyrilsunn didn't get beaten by a one-armed man."

that one-armed miqo'te at the grindstone has beaten him like twice now I think

(02-24-2016, 01:16 PM)Shoshopu Wrote: I began the mourning process as soon as he asked me for a drink in the first goddanged cutscene

How so? I mean we saw some undead Amdapori and Mhachi enemies but I figured they were just your standard undead, not a successful attempt at bringing the dead back to life, unless the former actually is what you were implying and I misunderstood- I felt like there wasn't much lore revealed in the new dungeon (as much as I loved what we got) so I'm feeling like there must've been something I missed somewhere.

First: Yeah, when he stopped me to ask to get beers later I immediately thought of Mike the Helicopter Pilot from RE4. The man's DEAD. Not to mention, that transparent foreshadowing in the closing narration of Ishgard about to pay its deepest price, with a long shot on Aymeric's stoic face while that is stated.

Second: We've seen zombies before, but the dead White Mages and Black Mages were legitimately using those techniques in combat, not just being limped around zombie dead guys. It's not unreasonable to assume they're not the same as the corpses running around Tamtara and the like.

RE: 3.2 Story and Discovery Thread: HERE BE [SPOILERS] - Seriphyn - 02-24-2016

Pretty sure Raubahn is the most powerful DoW in all of Eorzea. Basically means that they can be as or more powerful than mages, and Jobs aren't anything than specializations. Raubahn is just a GLD and did all that. Kale, as an individual who might obsess over being as powerful as Raubahn, will forever be Jobless, now.

Oh, and Kale was definitely one of those Flame Veterans. That made me happy.

(02-24-2016, 01:19 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: Pretty sure Raubahn is the most powerful DoW in all of Eorzea. Basically means that they can be as or more powerful than mages, and Jobs aren't anything than specializations. Raubahn is just a GLD and did all that. Kale, as an individual who might obsess over being as powerful as Raubahn, will forever be Jobless, now.

Oh, and Kale was definitely one of those Flame Veterans. That made me happy.

Ilberd begs to differ.

RE: 3.2 Story and Discovery Thread: HERE BE [SPOILERS] - Shoshopu - 02-24-2016

(02-24-2016, 01:19 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Second: We've seen zombies before, but the dead White Mages and Black Mages were legitimately using those techniques in combat, not just being limped around zombie dead guys. It's not unreasonable to assume they're not the same as the corpses running around Tamtara and the like.

The zombies that wander around near the Golden Bazaar use magic, too, though probably not as advanced of magic as the ones in Lost City of Amdapor HM...