Hydaelyn Role-Players
Future Sighting [Open RP] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Future Sighting [Open RP] (/showthread.php?tid=15373)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Future Sighting [Open RP] - Parth Makeo - 02-25-2016

"The future before us is never set in stone. What choices we make can and will alter the path we head on. There are an infinite amount of possible outcomes, and yet even the simplest actions can completely alter your world. And while I can see into the future briefly...I cannot confirm nor deny if and when that vision is and can be true. For the future CAN be changed, WILL be changed and MUST be changed." - Quint

Much of Ul'dah's traffic around the Quicksand comes and goes while also relaxing and getting a nice cold drink on the side. However on this day, a special sight was to behold for everyone. An Au Ra woman with dark features yet wearing a red dress as she was accompanied by a Carbuncle. They occupied one of the tables placed more in the center of the Quicksand, allowing her to set up her little tools. Four of her Augmentations were placed at each direction of North, South, East, and West relevant to Hydaelyn. These crystals floated above the table at the points as she took her position at one end. The Carbuncle hopped on the table and strangely enough he spoke.

"My dear friend here is offering free glimpses into the future! These are just visions and hints as to what one may encounter in your life, so take them with the tiniest grain of salt you can! See what the future can hold for you if you chose to wear the blue dress instead of the red one! See the possible outcome of skipping a night of drinking with friends and instead making an honest living! Give it a try and see!"

He promoted the little event for fun. From there he would take his position near the Au Ra and waited.

"Cobalon, you do know my visions are as accurate as firing an arrow at a fly?" she brought it up to the Carbuncle beside her.

"No need to worry, Quint. It's all in the name of fun! So long as no one takes your visions of the future serious..."

So they waited, looking around and wondering who would approach?

RE: Future Sighting [Open RP] - Makara Kali - 02-28-2016

An absent, but cheery hum was on the young miq'ote's lips as she leaned against the levemete's counter to look at the current job cards placed before her. Her thoughts weren't really on deciding on what to choose - none of them seemed very appealing. An opo-opo extermination leve? Not interesting.

But there was a matter of a lack of coin and she was in dire need of mending before her next treasure map quest. The last map she picked up yielded very little treasures to sell, but this time she dumped her last hundred gil from an adventurer who swore up and down that this was legit, money back guaranteed.

There was a catch. The chest wouldn't reveal itself until the next full moon... which meant she should either do it tonight or wait until next month. A clean up job to mend... or the map and risk fighting epic monsters in her small clothes?

Kali's tail swished to and fro with annoyance. Being an adult sucked royally. Being poor was just as worse.

A vocal advertisement from behind caused her dark ears to perk up. That was it! Azeyma has bestowed upon her an answer! Divine fortunetelling could help her out with this! But just as she turned, she jumped back in surprise.

"Eh? Carbuncle?! Talk?!" Well strike her down, roll her in dirt, and call her a coblyn! Anyone who can make a carbuncle talk ought to be well-versed in magic! Plus, it was free!

Kali immediately swooped in like a malnourished buzzard and slammed her palms down on the table.

"Me! Pick me! I'm first!" she shouted happily. There were floating crystals on the table - it had to be legit! "O' person of future seeing magic! I have a conundrum of great importance! Can you read my mind, or should I explain in detail so the stars can nod in understanding?!"

RE: Future Sighting [Open RP] - FuzzyMattress - 02-28-2016

"Oh I always take delight in some fortune telling on these days." Sacred Ash noticed as this fortune telling post seemed to just kind of appear.  With a meat kebab in hand he went to go check it out.  He didn't mind waiting in line as listening to the energetic M'iqote was also worth the price of admission.  Couldn't shake the feeling there was something eerie about it, but ah well it was snack time.

RE: Future Sighting [Open RP] - FreelanceWizard - 02-28-2016

Normally, the miqo'te mage known as L'yhta kept her visits to Ul'dah extremely short. Between the gil the Ossuary charged for use of their library, the "dancing girls," and the ever-present annoyance of the Brass Blades, she usually arrived in the night, did whatever research her work required, and left as quick as she came. Today, however, she found herself a bit parched -- Twelve curse me for forgetting a waterskin -- and, as such, ended up in the only tavern she found particularly safe in Ul'dah, the Quicksand. At least the Guild charged fair prices for a drink, and all those adventurers made it one of the most dangerous places in all of Eorzea to pick a fight (or rob someone).

The heels of her thighboots clacked against the stone as she pushed the door open. Her ears immediately shot up along with the tip of her tail when her gaze landed on the talking carbuncle. She squirmed past a pair of chatty highlanders on a direct path to the au ra and her "pet," her black and silver-trimmed robes swishing softly. A line, she grumbled to herself as she arrived at the table and crossed her arms over her chest. That drink's going to have to wait.

RE: Future Sighting [Open RP] - Parth Makeo - 02-29-2016

Cobalon set his sights upon Kali with her loud tone. "Sure sure! come on down." Cobalon announced, noticing the small crowd. The very uppity girl seemed rather well versed with such antics as she sat before Quint on the opposing side of the table. With a very straight and narrowed face, Quint explained her deal.

"To begin, I would like to know of your name. Then if you so wish, tell me what you would like to know. Do take heed, as whatever you see in the visions I will show you are only a possibility. For our future is never accurate and the event you witness can never happen...but it can as well." her method of explaining this seemed very intellectual but also confusing to most not even remotely familiar with how time works.

Cobalon on the other hand took his time to try and gather more waiting bystanders. With a loud mouth he proclaimed "That's right! These are not merely readings in the future but ACTUAL glimpses! No trickery here! No jokes or mirrors! All done with four Augmentated crystals and the owner's will to see! Come and see!"

Quint would begin with guiding the crystals with her finger acting like a conductor's baton. They swirled around before positioning the points in a diamond like formation between them. "So please, tell me what you wish to see and then stick your hand through the portal I will create...when I tell you to pull out, do so without hesitation."

RE: Future Sighting [Open RP] - Makara Kali - 02-29-2016

Kali's button nose wrinkled at the explanation. "So... you can't say for certain if it's gonna pass?" Her father mentioned this kind of thing to her at one point. Charlatans and gil-desperate magicians often used 'cold readings' or guesswork games to dupe the customer. While she couldn't say for certain if her father's warnings rang true in this instance, suffice to say, she had yet to see any icy books about to tip her off. 

But seven hells, the carbuncle said it was free. What charlatan would offer their services without a price attached? Kali slumped forward, unawares of a line behind her, and introduced herself with aplomb. "Makara Kali - the best treasure hunter/person beater-upper this side of Eorzea! I've come with a plight wrought with desperation!"

Without preamble, she smacked the rolled up map down the table, careful of the crystal floaters. "This map yields untold treasure, but alas, I've no coin at the moment to re-thread my clothes or saddle my chocobo! That requires a leve on the side see, but this map is on borrowed time." She placed the stained glass card beside the map. "So did I take the job and await the next lunar cycle, or did I risk faring against monsters in my bloomers so the next adventuring sod doesn't get my booty?!"

Kali waited expectantly for the portal to open up to plunge her hand into it.

Quint listened to her explanation. Unphased by how excited she was about a map and treasure. But the options she listed were something to go by. Unlike reading cards or palms, Quint used another method of reading. 

"Well considering the second option seems dangerous, here is one such possibility if you were to go now and be there first." Quint told her calmly, causing the four points to spin around in a circle before halting and keeping their formation. A portal big enough to stick a hand in appeared before them. "Now I ask that you will place your hand inside. It can be as much as a finger or your whole arm...and when I say pull out...please, pull out." she focused her task on keeping it open. It would allow something to enter but it would not pass through to the other side. Supposedly as if reaching out into the future to find answers...and for a moment it would surge within her mind, For Kali to only see.

Show Content

Quint kept this portal going for a little while until she announced it. "Pull your hand out now! That's all I can show!" and when she would, the portal would collapse before them. returning the crystals to the table. "Now...if you wish to tell me what you saw by going alone, you are free to. Otherwise do take the possible choice that the future you took with a grain of salt."

Cobalon smiled and hopped on the table. "AND if you want to know what the other option would bring, that will be a thousand Gil!" to which Quint picked Cobalon up by the neck and placed him back down. "Please Ignore Cobalon. I have no intention on making Gil. I would love to also show you the possibility of what may and can happen if you take the job and bide your time for the map."

To onlookers, it was less exciting than flipping cards or the reaction of the reader but it was far more plausible outcomes rather than false estimations.

RE: Future Sighting [Open RP] - FreelanceWizard - 02-29-2016

L'yhta shot a glare of ice at a nearby lalafell, perched on a table, bottle in hand, and with cheeks of bright red, who snickered in response to, "when I say pull out...please, pull out." As the lalafell snapped his mouth shut, the miqo'te mage muttered something probably obscene under her breath and turned back to watch the show. Her slit eyes defocused as she peered with her mind's eye, paying more attention to the patterns and flow of aether than the actual movements and people.

What a curious praxis, she thought to herself.

RE: Future Sighting [Open RP] - Steel Wolf - 02-29-2016

The problem with having a unique weapon is having to find similarly unique tools in order to maintain its upkeep.

The dazzlingly dark blade of the immense katana-style weapon strapped across Steel's back felt more burdensome this day than before. The weapon - Swarsygg, she named it - had been appraised as Thavnairian in origin. The materials that were outlined in its make sounded less like a sword and more like the ingredients in a potion. As such, it needed some very unique item to be used as a whetstone.

So that brought the Roegadyn to Ul'dah. No other place she knew would have the sort of whetstone she required to keep the weapon's edge. So far, the search had ended up with several merchants making her an offer on the weapon and one Highlander attempting and failing miserably to steal the sword.

She needed a break. And, much as she despised the place, the Quicksand was the best place for it.

Upon entering the oasis, a sight surprised even her. A woman was sitting at a table with four crystals floating around her. A small line was forming behind a very eager-looking miqo'te. Nearby was a Carbuncle that...spoke??

Ul'dah was nothing if not random.

Steel decided to watch...for now. Her gauntleted arms folded over her breastplate, a small smirk playing over her lips. She had missed the call to interest, catching only the command to "come and see"...but it was definitely curious.

The moment she shot her hand eagerly into the portal, did a vision reveal itself to her. Golden eyes widened and her already large pupils grew even more as an aetheric vision came to her.

The Quicksand melted away and she found herself so far off usual merchant trail through the Sagolii, she was worried that she was lost in the endless black desert with only the full moon to light her way. She was on her knees and desperate to fumble at the broken lock with singed fingers and the smell of ash in the air.

She definitely struggled with something to get here. So tiring and painful! Was it worth it, though?!

The image was so fast, she couldn't discern, but she didn't need to. Her had instinctively jutted out and grabbed the item before the vision turned hazy.
She jolted backwards at the warning and fell on her arse, but her eyes glittered with excitement as the metallurgic composition rang in her ears.

"GREY AURACITE! A grinding stone of yore! And a pure one to boot!" It would probably make sense why one would at a glance brush it off as just a plain grey stone, but she knew her Sil'dih history. Until she could bring it to a goldsmith to confirm its purity, she could dream of the gil it could bring - if not pay her rent at her free company to boot for many fortnights!

"Oh-ho-ho! I don't need to see a vision of me shoveling chocobo dung! I'm heading out and receiving thy loot which awaits me! Mending be damned to the seven hells!" Kali tossed the leve aside and swaddled the map like a newborn babe.

RE: Future Sighting [Open RP] - Warren Castille - 02-29-2016

Sometimes in a man's life he sees things that are strange, but they simply stop registering as such. The view from the bar was one such thing that Warren Castille was accustomed to; The oddness of floating crystals and a talking carbuncle were things that should have caused him to raise an eyebrow, yet the highlander found nothing to raise.

Warren knew just enough to keep himself out of the way. It wasn't that he doubted Quint's abilities, he just didn't want to command more of the young woman's time than he'd borrowed from her during the outings at the Wash. Sipping a cool drink he couldn't help but watch the enthusiasm of the miqo'te as she exclaimed bits and pieces of her glimpse at what might be.

"Grinding stones, eh?" He didn't comment terribly loud or to anyone in particular, but he did recognize the girl and all her candor as someone he'd seen around those parts before.

Woe be to anyone for her to elaborate on ores and lore. Ears pricking up at Warren's comment, Kali beamed and waved at him with her map. She remembered him from the Grindstone! "The grindiest of grindy stones! Purity through its weightlessness!" she chirped, the glint in her eyes betraying pure enthusiasm. "Grey auracite was a popular whetstone back when Sil'dih wasn't a big pile of ew. The mineral is said to make Sil'dih weaponry so sharp and light, a simple copper hatchet could cleave through steel! They hoarded it deep in secret vaults unknown to prevent Ul'dahn invaders from acquiring them."

"And thanks to that, all the grey auracite mines around the Sil'dih ruins have been mined to nothing! So there's a giant market for them, especially from the Coliseum. They say the betting odds go through the roof for any fighter with a blade honed by a stone of air." She tapped her chin thoughtfully. "Oh, and it makes for a scrumptious stone soup. Just saying."

RE: Future Sighting [Open RP] - Warren Castille - 02-29-2016

Warren saluted the miqo'te with a raise of his glass in response to the wave. His expression was a mixture of shared joy and amusement. It would be too soon if he had imagery of auracite brought to his head. He didn't want to second-guess Quint's ability.

"I've heard stories of the stuff. Never managed to lay hands on it myself, but the legends keep being whispered and sometimes yelled." The truth of it was that Warren had heard plenty of folks claim to have worked with the material, but the results tended to be less than expected. "If you do find some, I'd keep it quiet. Just in case, you know."

He looked thoughtful for a moment, then declined comment further beyond a small smile.

Kali nodded in agreement. "Aye, and there's a lot of loudness about the authenticity of its legend. Any ol' skimmer can take any old stone and claim it's a stone of air, but I've got an ace up my sleeve! I can tell if I'm being scammed when it comes to ores!" She had the privilege of seeing an actual grey auracite stone from a private collection many summers ago. It was barely the size of a pebble, but she had memorized the smell, touch, and even taste of the thing.

And the one in her vision was at least the size of her palm. Nay, that adventurer really gave it to her this time - no doubt giving her a bum map without realizing what some random stone inside actually contained. She was so giddy, she could hover three malms in the air if she could!

Warren's last comment did cause her to comically pause and cover her big fat mouth. This was the bloody Quicksand! Someone could overhear and get interested! "Um... 'tis useless ore, I bet, haha! I mean what are the chances? It'll be just my luck too." Confident save, horrible recovery. Any sod with a half of a brain could call in her bluff.

Quint just watched with a smile at Kali's reaction to it all and talking about some stone and the glee she had as she ignored them for a time. Cobalon hopped on the table once more to converse with Quint in a low voice.

"Should we tell her about the possible dangers she may face on the journey?" Quint heard his question and shook her head. "No. For she wanted the end result, not the troubles she may face...Lot of Goblins possibly. Nothing too dangerous." and with a shift of the crystals she returned to her seat, laying it open for more.

"Who else would love to see a reading!? As this young girl has just reacted, it is a work of truth, not fiction!" Again, Cobalon attempted to gather more to the effort, hoping to let more take the stage. "Anyone at all! You may find something life changing or a warning to heed!"

Quint on the other hand looked around, taking some rock candy out with an ominous glow and placing one in her mouth. "...Apple..." she quietly mentioned. Bystanders started watching but were more nervous than before.

"Her hand just vanished when it was placed inside..."

"Do you think it could chop off limbs?"

"...I keep telling you that thing is a witch..."

Quint tried ignoring the comments as she focused on her task. The quicksand's eyes on her for a time. Her expressionless face and stiff posture masked her nervous interior of it all. She tried to speak but yelling was hard for her. "I ask for nothing in return. It is all for fun. No harm done."