Hydaelyn Role-Players
Ninja lore? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Ninja lore? (/showthread.php?tid=15597)

Ninja lore? - Blaze-Moon - 03-20-2016

Hello! So, it's been too long since I last ran the Ninja quest line and I don't really have an alt at this time to pull through it nor can I find a database of the quest line's dialogue outside of the actual cut scenes. If this has been asked before, I apologize -- my searching skills are weak -- but can anyone inform me on anything you know about the ninja job in-universe?

All lore-based information is helpful! Traditions, how ninjitsu works, impact/use of soul crystal, origins, etc.

RE: Ninja lore? - Nero - 03-21-2016

EDIT: Made some changes based on Sounsyy's clarifications below.

Luckily, Ninja was introduced only in 2.0 so there is no 1.0 stuff for me to sift through!

Note: This post contains spoilers for the Ninja quests!

Show Content

RE: Ninja lore? - Sounsyy - 03-21-2016

Nero did an absolutely fantastic summary of Ninja lore! I really only have a couple small additions to make:

1. While the former Doman Province accounts for the majority of known shinobi, they are not the originators of the art. Ninjutsu actually comes from the Far Eastern Islands beyond Doma's shores. Also most shinobi, if they are not on retainer to a ruling clan, live in a village just outside of Doma, not in the city-state itself.

Gerolt Wrote:It contains an account o' how a Far Eastern ninja named Sasuke brought ninjutsu to Doma. Seems ninjutsu was invented in a land far to the east of Othard's shores─same isle as where Sasuke grew up. The bloke was the best ninja about, so he gets secret orders or summat to cross the sea, an' makes his way to Doma. Life for the Doman commonfolk was shite back then, what with the starvin' an' the poverty. The worst, though, was the bleedin' tyrant what ruled the place! Well, bein' the charitable sort, what's Sasuke to do but teach the smallfolk ninjutsu so they can win back their freedom? So yer man trains some ninjas, an' together they boot the ruler's royal arse off the throne, an' put a dagger in his back for good measure. Well, with the dynasty dead, yer ninjas go lookin' for the spoils o' victory. After that, the lot o' them headed to the outlands o' Doma to build a hidden village, so's to live as ninjas away from pryin' eyes.

2. Because of the role Garlean shinobi, the imperial shadows, played in the betrayal and razing of Doma, many Far Easterners are mistrustful of anyone who claims to be a shinobi.

Princess Yatsurugi no Yuki Wrote:Tch, you think me naive enough to trust shinobi!? When Doma fell, we all saw your daggers in its back! Come, Akagi─leave the traitors!

EDIT: Adding this explanation of Ninjas from Yomei:

Yomei Wrote:My people are the descendants of an ancient clan that traces its origins back to an age of war and strife. My ancestors isolated themselves in a secluded village and devoted themselves to the martial arts, that they might defend themselves and their land from the chaos around them.

At first, my ancestors lived solitary lives. In time, however, their martial abilities came to be recognized by mighty warlords, who enlisted their services. So it was that my ancestors came to serve from the shadows, performing assassinations, espionage, and other such disagreeable-yet-indispensable duties. In the early days, my ancestors were known by many names: the shadow, the grass, the silent ones, those who see but are not seen... In time, as our existence became widely known and accepted by the greater populace, the people came to call us by a single name: shinobi, the hidden.

Our art - the art of ninjutsu - has been honed through the centuries, passed down from master to student, master to student. The shinobi uses ritual hand gestures called mudra to channel the energies of the world around him - heaven, earth, and man - and unleash a host of lethal attacks. There are many aspects of our art that we ourselves do not fully understand. For example, when a shinobi loses his concentration and misforms a mudra, it has been known to summon forth a curious rabbit-like creature from dimensions unknown. Ah, I can see it even now - that toothy grin staring at me, mocking me! Oh, that I would never lay eyes on one of those foul creatures again!

This last section isn't strictly on topic, but I figure I've got this Doman lore dump sitting around, might as well add this since Ninjas and Domans usually come hand in hand.

Doma Lore
Show Content

RE: Ninja lore? - Aqah - 03-22-2016

The compilation is great! But I may add a bit:
(03-21-2016, 11:35 AM)Nero Wrote: It is unknown if any additional mudras or ninjutsu techniques exist among Doman shinobi outside of those available in-game.

The game has a hint that there seems to be at least one additional mudra outside of those available to main hero:

Show Content

RE: Ninja lore? - Ashe - 03-22-2016

Also, I think giving up your soul crystal while still alive makes you not a Shinobi anymore and I THINK you lose your abilities to do ninjutsu altogether...

Show Content