Hydaelyn Role-Players
I miss Wild ARMS - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: I miss Wild ARMS (/showthread.php?tid=15757)

Pages: 1 2

I miss Wild ARMS - Caspar - 04-04-2016

My sacred love, Suikoden, has most certainly been dead for years, its team dissolved, Konami being a MEDIOCRITY. But, this announcement earlier in the year once again gave me hope in the cheesy yet somehow charming animoo western RPG making a return.
http://gematsu.com/2016/01/wild-arms-creator-teases-20th-anniversary-meeting
The return of Star Ocean too gave me hope for older non-FF franchises.

If it's a mobile game I'm gonna cry.

What series of games would you like to see revived? (Hopefully Wild ARMS)

RE: I miss Wild ARMS - Kodie - 04-04-2016

I loved Wild Arms, I bought it to hold me over to while waiting for FF7, but I ended up enjoying that game more. I also enjoyed the remake later on.

RE: I miss Wild ARMS - Meishali - 04-04-2016

[youtube]cbiEH5DMx78[/youtube]

I'm a huuuge fan of the first Wild ARMS game. It was a huge inspiration when I was a kid, in terms of character design/story. And also I think, to this time, it still has the best videogame intro ever? The OST was dope.

Funnily enough, the PS2 Remake wasn't too great in my mind. I'm never sure why, but I guess I was kind put off by the non-90s looking characters re-design. But since there's already a remake, I doubt they re-do 2nd remake for the first game. Maybe I can dream about a handheld release? Not mobile, god, no. PSvita or something. 

I don't know if a new game from this franchise would survive in the current video-game world, Wild ARMS already being, in my mind, for the 'happy few'. Non-FF franchises rising from the dead/the 90s-2000s are hardly localized? There's so much japan keeps to itself. 
Copies of the game in France were also ridiculously rare, and I am pretty sure I played it in English back then.

Ah, I want to grab my PS1 and play it again.

RE: I miss Wild ARMS - Jana - 04-04-2016

Better a mobile game than a pachinko game, I always say.

RE: I miss Wild ARMS - Edgar - 04-04-2016

Most of the series that I wish would get a true, 100% revival are actually better off dead than being regurgitated by the modern-day video game industry, and why?

[Image: 270?cb=20120614005423][Image: Banjo-Kazooie_Nuts_%26_Bolts_Game_Cover.jpg][Image: BombermanActZero_USBOX_Mrated.jpg][Image: sh-pachinko-thumb-440x292.jpg]

...It's just a feeling, but I don't exactly think the big-name companies that originally published or developed these titles in the past are fit to produce actual games anymore. I think I'll stand by the spiritual successors to these series, instead.

RE: I miss Wild ARMS - ExAtomos - 04-04-2016

I remember Wild Arms coming out and being the game to play while you're waiting for VII to be released. xD It's still my go-to game for when I really just want to chill for a while and stomp everything (I use the item glitch for the apples :3 ). I own 2 & 3, but couldn't get into them.

RE: I miss Wild ARMS - Caspar - 04-04-2016

Although 1 is the go to favorite, I actually liked 3 a lot. Perhaps it is because that was when, I feel, they most fully committed to the Wild West aesthetic. 

Really the issue with reviving series is gathering a team which resembles or at least respects the original. Games like Front Mission Evolved were bad because they were foisted off upon a different studio who misunderstood the priorities inherent within the series. Many of those revivals weren't bad per se, just not the frnchise they claimed to be. FME being some generic mech shooter, Castlevania LoS being God of War, etc.

RE: I miss Wild ARMS - Edda - 04-04-2016

The chances of a new Wild Arms game is slim to none. If it does get a new game, it will almost certainly be Japan-only and for mobile. The mobile gaming market in Japan is simply too large, it absorbs all it can.

I too mourn the death of series like Suikoden, Wild Arms, Arc the Lad, Valkyrie Profile... but there is naught to be done for them any longer.

Japan just has shit taste in games anymore. Dragon Quest is garbage. There, I said it.

RE: I miss Wild ARMS - McBeefâ„¢ - 04-04-2016

(04-04-2016, 03:23 PM)Edda Wrote: The chances of a new Wild Arms game is slim to none. If it does get a new game, it will almost certainly be Japan-only and for mobile. The mobile gaming market in Japan is simply too large, it absorbs all it can.

I too mourn the death of series like Suikoden, Wild Arms, Arc the Lad, Valkyrie Profile... but there is naught to be done for them any longer.

Japan just has shit taste in games anymore. Dragon Quest is garbage. There, I said it.

Ughhh Suikoden. Why'd you have to remind me. 

Somehow the Tales games keep getting sequels pumped out, Star Ocean too. They're ok, but there are much better series they are letting whither.

My favorite new IP of the past decade got fucked up as well, as they're turing Valkyria Chronicles into either anime highschool waifu games or generic action RPG.

RE: I miss Wild ARMS - Edda - 04-04-2016

(04-04-2016, 03:32 PM)McBeef© Wrote:
(04-04-2016, 03:23 PM)Edda Wrote: The chances of a new Wild Arms game is slim to none. If it does get a new game, it will almost certainly be Japan-only and for mobile. The mobile gaming market in Japan is simply too large, it absorbs all it can.

Somehow the Tales games keep getting sequels pumped out, Star Ocean too. They're ok, but there are much better series they are letting whither.

My favorite new IP of the past decade got fucked up as well, as they're turing Valkyria Chronicles into either anime highschool waifu games or generic action RPG.
I feel you. Tales has been on a steady decline since Vesperia, so I'm not as excited about those as I used to be.

And don't remind me about the rampant surge of waifu moe shit taking over once-good series! Look at Fire Emblem... Sure, they've always had that anime aesthetic, and being able to pair off units has been around since forever but Jesus CHRIST. Not like this. Never like this.

What the hell, Japan.

I'm not terribly bothered by it as it's the only smart marketing move available to them. Shippers gonna ship and it is the nerdiest demographic over there who has a tangible disposable income to buy such games. If the original feel and quality is preserved in such series, I can keep my bile down.

RE: I miss Wild ARMS - Val - 04-04-2016

(04-04-2016, 12:26 PM)Edgar Wrote: Most of the series that I wish would get a true, 100% revival are actually better off dead than being regurgitated by the modern-day video game industry, and why?

[Image: 270?cb=20120614005423][Image: Banjo-Kazooie_Nuts_%26_Bolts_Game_Cover.jpg][Image: BombermanActZero_USBOX_Mrated.jpg][Image: sh-pachinko-thumb-440x292.jpg]

...It's just a feeling, but I don't exactly think the big-name companies that originally published or developed these titles in the past are fit to produce actual games anymore. I think I'll stand by the spiritual successors to these series, instead.

I have to say I agree with this 100%. Most of the companies have shifted directions and the development teams that made those games are either spread out, gone altogether, or just managed to capture lightning in a bottle once and don't know how to recreate the magic. And maybe, just maybe, part of the problem is that we as gamers have grown up and down want to admit our interests have changed.

Whatever the case may be, I'm glad to see a spiritual successor for Chrono Trigger soon.

RE: I miss Wild ARMS - McBeefâ„¢ - 04-04-2016

(04-04-2016, 03:59 PM)Edda Wrote:
(04-04-2016, 03:32 PM)McBeef© Wrote:

I feel you. Tales has been on a steady decline since Vesperia, so I'm not as excited about those as I used to be.

And don't remind me about the rampant surge of waifu moe shit taking over once-good series! Look at Fire Emblem... Sure, they've always had that anime aesthetic, and being able to pair off units has been around since forever but Jesus CHRIST. Not like this. Never like this.

What the hell, Japan.

Well... at least western RPGs are good and getting better. We might never get another Suikoden, but I can play my wasteland 2s and Tides of Numeria's. 

I keep hearing good things about the Tales of Heroes series, but I've never played one for more than a single sitting. I should fix that. Right after I finish bringing justice to the wasteland.

I want to play those too. The only western rpg that ever clicked with me was Mass Effect, which amusingly dervies much from the dating sim inspired rpg that seems popular now in Japan. I am ex trekkie though so it was a given it would click with me.

VC is an interesting case because they deliberately tried to de age the playerbase. The first chronicles attracted mostly old fogeys nostalgic for the sakura taisen era. So 2 moved to the youth friendly mobile platform and became about highschoolers. In VC's case it was more Sega's fault and not the players. They felt there was no room for growth among old gamers. I hear 3 was actually really good and arguably superior to the original. Not that I'll ever get to play it because it's on a damn handheld.

Just in general I feel a lot of Japanese ip are good but they know where the money is and cater to it agressively. If you can get past that there's still stuff out there, but of course never on a console I actually own lol.

Except Dragon Quest. I never gave a whit about Dragon Quest.

RE: I miss Wild ARMS - Jana - 04-04-2016

The new Valkyria Chronicles is my trigger. While the original is my favorite, I don't even care that much about the animustuff and I'm a sucker for qt3.14 waifus... But god, what are they trying to do with the gameplay?

Hopefully the overwhelming success of the original's Steam release (and upcoming PS4 port) will convince Sega to least port the rest of the original trilogy off of a dead handheld.