Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Tentative/Planning] Goob-ball: The Sport of Kings - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Roleplay Events (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+---- Forum: Chronicled Events (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [Tentative/Planning] Goob-ball: The Sport of Kings (/showthread.php?tid=15779)

[Tentative/Planning] Goob-ball: The Sport of Kings - Sylastair - 04-07-2016

Goob-Ball
[Image: ball-1930-poster.jpg]
Game Overview:

Goob-Ball is a game that combines the mechanics of both real world Football and Soccer, with two teams playing against each other to either kick or throw the ‘Goob-Ball’ into the opposing team’s goal.(For anyone who has ever played or seen Gatorball being played, it is ICly played as such. If you haven't below is a video of Gatorball being played and a brief explanation of the rules.)
Game Set Up:
Goob-Ball is played by two teams, each consisting of three players/roles: Keeper, Sentinel and Vanguard. The game is played on a marked Goob-Ball court, which is a square that is OOCly broken into nine 3x3 smaller squares, divided into three colored rows or ‘zones’, a Red zone, a Grey zone and a Blue zone. At the start of each match both teams are assigned a color corresponding with these color zones, which will serve as that team’s goal.

Team Roles:
  1. Keeper – Keeper’s cannot leave their team’s zones, and tendto serve as the goaltender. 

2. Sentinel – Sentinel’s can move through both their team’szone and the Grey zone, and tend to fill a defensive/assist based role.

3. Vanguard – Vanguard’s can move through all squares, andserve as the team’s offensive arm and shooter.

The game begins with each team's Sentinel starting in G2, the team assigned the Blue zone will have their Keeper in B2, while Red will have their Keeper in R2. Finally, Blue's Vanguard will be in G1, and Red's Vanguard will be in G3. The referee will then toss the ball between the two Sentinels, with the higher roll taking control of the ball and setting the turn order for the game. The turn order will be as follows for the entirety of the game:

Turn Order:
Sentinel (Winning)
Sentinel (Opposing)
Keeper (Winning)
Keeper (Opposing)
Vanguard (Winning)
Vanguard (Opposing)

Rules:

• No more than two players mayinhabit the same square.

• Players get two actions on theirturn, a move and an action such as Shooting, Passing or Stealing.

• Players can only move one squareper action. They can move forward, backward, left right or diagonally. Players may exchange their action for another move, but cannot pass through squares already inhabited by two players.

• Players will be allowed to IClyhit or tackle the ball holder versus stripping or stealing the ball if they so choose. ICly a successful tackle causes a turn over, with the tackled player releasing the ball for the tackling player to recover. This however does not stop the play of the game.

• It is against the rules totackle, shove, or interfere with a player who is not in control of the ball.

• Players will not be stopped frombreaking rules, but will be punished for them. Players moving into forbidden squares, hitting players who do not hold the ball, or using magic/extraordinary abilities will be flagged, and play will stop. The ball is then turned over to the opposing team, who are then allowed to move their players in any position (without breaking rules) and restart the game on the turn of the ball holder. 

Event Planning & Application:

Inspiration:

We have many things in Eorzea, but no real 'organized' sports that are similar in spirit to things like Soccer, Football, Basketball or Rugby. My love for Blitzball is known by many, and a chance to combine something lacking in the community with something many Final Fantasy fans love seemed to good to pass up, and in that Goob-Ball was born!

Events:

As an event, Goob-Ball would be played as Football or Soccer would, teams competing throughout a season in the hopes of making it to the Finals and winning the "Hydaelyn Cup". With any sport though, the game's players aren't the only one's involved. Fans can come cheer for their favorite teams, company's can sponsor individual players and announcers can have their voices heard as they give everyone a play by play of the games.

Outside of these 'main' events, players and teams could host their own exhibition matches at their own events, in the off season, or just for fun! All people need are these rules, two teams and someone to act as referee. The goal here is to provide people with a system to play a sport and have some fun above all, whether it is competing for the grand prize or just playing with your friends on the company front yard.

What's Done:

A basic tracker for wins, losses, goals, assists and saves. That can track the stats of each team throughout their season and overall career. 

We've also got the in depth game mechanics worked out and completed in the Word attachment below.

Brackets for tracking team progression throughout each Goob-Ball season, and various game types to be played at different times within the season.
(Single point, Win By 2, Endurance, etc.)

What's Needed:

Teams & Players - There can't be a Hydaelyn Cup without the best teams in, well, Hydaelyn!

Referees - Someone is going to have to keep the rules of this most Goobuely game enforced.

Announcers - Want to be heard? Love having a crowd hang on your every word? Maybe you just like saying "Pow!" or "Whammy!" when people get hit? Then announcing may be for you.

Sponsors - Want to get the name of your company out there? Sponsor a player or team, get them a uniform and have them be a walking advertisement for whatever it is you do!

What's Next:

That's the million gil question! The hope is to make each season a 12-16 week event, with possibly two seasons per actual year: A Summer Cup and a Winter Cup. But right now what's really needed is feedback! What do you all think? Is there any glaring flaws in the system? Most of all, does this sound fun?

RE: [Tentative/Planning] Goob-ball: The Sport of Kings - Warren Castille - 04-07-2016

Glaring flaws come out in playtesting! The idea looks fresh enough to definitely warrant some interest. I think your biggest challenges would be time limits or stalled-games, but those can be worked around if they're discovered (such as quarter/half/period lasting X turns/actions, off the top of my head).

I guess I have to roll a footballer alt now, huh?

RE: [Tentative/Planning] Goob-ball: The Sport of Kings - Sylastair - 04-07-2016

(04-07-2016, 02:21 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Glaring flaws come out in playtesting! The idea looks fresh enough to definitely warrant some interest. I think your biggest challenges would be time limits or stalled-games, but those can be worked around if they're discovered (such as quarter/half/period lasting X turns/actions, off the top of my head).

I guess I have to roll a footballer alt now, huh?
DO IIIIT.

But yeah, some serious play testing is next, for the sake of time and getting teams chances to play, I've bounced between either putting a time limit on matches, or doing first point wins for the main season, then longer game types in the finals and so on.

RE: [Tentative/Planning] Goob-ball: The Sport of Kings - Aya - 04-07-2016

Aya would TOTALLY be in for this!