Hydaelyn Role-Players
Am I in the right place? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Am I in the right place? (/showthread.php?tid=15780)

Am I in the right place? - metafarion - 04-07-2016

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to FFXIV.  I've played a handful of other MMOs, most notably WoW back in the day, but frequently became impatient with the constant immersion-breaking actions of other players who seemed to regard these games as combat-oriented Excel spreadsheets.

An RP community seems the natural antidote, but I'm not really sure if I'm up to the level of detail that seems to be expected.  I'm less interested in complex back-stories and character arcs than in cohesive in-game personalities and interactions.  I detest MMO jargon and players doing stuff that takes me out of the world; the thrill of the game comes through when people portray unique characters doing interesting things instead of just themselves playing a game.

I guess in brief, I'd like to play in character like 95% of the time and interact with people doing the same, but I don't know if my idea of "character" qualifies me to participate.  I'd rather not have to study huge amounts of lore and world history before even beginning the adventure.

RE: Am I in the right place? - Faye - 04-07-2016

Hello there! I'd say you are in the right place. You will find all sorts here. You will find those who sticklers for lore and intense backstories, and those who aren't. You'll just to have go through some trial and error to meet people you vibe with and find your niche in the community.

RE: Am I in the right place? - Vachir Qalli - 04-07-2016

I echo the above, you are in the right place. It sounds as if you are newish to RP? Like maybe you have the want there but haven't had the opportunity to really let your role play blossom because of other immersion breaking factors of those around you? Please correct me if I am wrong. 

The best place to start is definitely with an RP community. Several are very willing to play the way you want, it is just a matter of finding a match persay. There are plenty who let the game and interactions in the game help them decide character. Don't be afraid to head in without character backgrounds. There are plenty who don't go into depth or detail. 

As for lore, while I am one who tries to stick to lore I know there are plenty who are not so  much of a stickler for it. It's all a matter of trial and error in finding the group of friends that fit you through the game and forums. They are out there!

RE: Am I in the right place? - metafarion - 04-10-2016

Well that's very encouraging, and you're quite right: I am inexperienced.  How would you suggest I proceed?

(04-07-2016, 05:07 PM)Vachir Qalli Wrote: I echo the above, you are in the right place. It sounds as if you are newish to RP? Like maybe you have the want there but haven't had the opportunity to really let your role play blossom because of other immersion breaking factors of those around you? Please correct me if I am wrong.

RE: Am I in the right place? - Samual Rothstein - 04-14-2016

(04-07-2016, 04:47 PM)metafarion Wrote: Hi everyone, I'm brand new to FFXIV.  I've played a handful of other MMOs, most notably WoW back in the day, but frequently became impatient with the constant immersion-breaking actions of other players who seemed to regard these games as combat-oriented Excel spreadsheets.

An RP community seems the natural antidote, but I'm not really sure if I'm up to the level of detail that seems to be expected.  I'm less interested in complex back-stories and character arcs than in cohesive in-game personalities and interactions.  I detest MMO jargon and players doing stuff that takes me out of the world; the thrill of the game comes through when people portray unique characters doing interesting things instead of just themselves playing a game.

I guess in brief, I'd like to play in character like 95% of the time and interact with people doing the same, but I don't know if my idea of "character" qualifies me to participate.  I'd rather not have to study huge amounts of lore and world history before even beginning the adventure.
Great post.  I have some RP experience, but I'm not the best at back story.  What I do love is the richness of the experience and all the non-combat activities to participate in that you can only get in an RP community.

RE: Am I in the right place? - S'imba - 04-14-2016

Well if you're on gilgamesh I got a character there, I'd love to log on for rp.