Hydaelyn Role-Players
Intermission and A Realm Reborn - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Intermission and A Realm Reborn (/showthread.php?tid=1614)

Pages: 1 2

Intermission and A Realm Reborn - Merri - 02-01-2013

So, after some recent discussion I've come to the conclusion that I won't be able to dedicate as much time to the Intermission linkpearl as I was able to during 1.0. My time will already be split between my endgame linkshell, leading my own RP linkshell, and moderating the RPC itself. I simply won't have time to deal with Intermission disputes like I used to. So, I'd like people to volunteer and/or nominate some one to create the pearl this time around and keep things organized.

The linkpearl will remain the same as it's always been. It will retain it's leaderless structure, and be open to all roleplayers. Whomever ends up in charge would be taking volunteers to assist with moderating the pearl and making sure members stay in line with the established rules (Which will most likely be updated and posted up closer to ARR launch).

Bottom line, I'd like the pearl to be "out of my hands" so to speak. I may still assist with helping moderate, as well as pearling, but I do not plan on being the go-to person for shell disputes this time around.

Thanks!

RE: Intermission and A Realm Reborn - Yssen - 02-01-2013

I volunteer to help get the shell made and moderated when things get rolling in the beta.

RE: Intermission and A Realm Reborn - Aysun - 02-01-2013

I've been informed that someone (I'll let them speak for themselves) was considering leading it.

I was very anxious to start it myself when ARR comes out since I knew it was time for a new sack-holder (as is what has become Intermission tradition, no one leader for too long shall have it yes?), but I don't want to step on his toes now that he's voiced his interest to me. I'll wait my turn.

RE: Intermission and A Realm Reborn - Xenedra - 02-01-2013

/cough hi!
As the only moderator from the last iteration of intermission that still seems to want to have anything to do with moderating, I'd love to once again be included as such. Tyvm4yertiemz

RE: Intermission and A Realm Reborn - Aysun - 02-01-2013

(02-01-2013, 11:50 PM)Xenedra Wrote: /cough hi!
As the only moderator from the last iteration of intermission that still seems to want to have anything to do with moderating, I'd love to once again be included as such. Tyvm4yertiemz

Hopefully moderators wouldn't be needed, just people to distribute pearls. x3 (I can dream)

RE: Intermission and A Realm Reborn - Gospel Gestalt - 02-02-2013

Hi, Merri.

I would be willing to take over leadership again of the Backstage/Intermission pearl. I mostly say this as one of the founders who helped lead it in the past. However, I have no intentions of acting as a leader aside from simple pearl setup; distribution; and RP shell advertising.

I'm much more willing to take control again because from S/E's words, LS management will be much easier to control with systems such as LS log in messages, ability to give pearl distributor status and the ability to boot anyone, anywhere. However, I doubt that last of those will be needed seeing how well the Skype Backstage has been over these past few months.

As in terms of Leadership. I intend on giving everyone pearl distributor status, this way they cannot be booted by other members but also allows everyone to invite their RP friends and what-not.

Hopefully if LS management has a system similar to free companies with leadership. I would nominate, Kylin as Big Boss but only in the sense of giving him guranteed "Middle Man" status. This would allow the shell to continue to run as normal and let the members decide what they want to do. After they decide who wants to step up, Kylin can come in and just give the status back to whoever is next in line and go back into the shadows. I only bring Kylin up because he is the RPCs head management, so he would be a neutral influence.

An example would be: Gospel is Big Boss of Backstage but for whatever reason he gets bored and quits FFXIV. After a set amount of days, the Big Boss status would bump down to Kylin. Now Kylin wouldn't have to lead the shell at all. He just runs the RPC so he's a reliable person in terms of being online. The members of Backstage however will be responsible for deciding who they want to have Big Boss status. Once they decide on someone, Kylin logs on and gives that status to whoever. (This is all going on assumption that LSes will have this feature.)

That's pretty much how I would run things. However, I would like to make it perfectly clear that "Big Boss" status is not a gift, it's not a title and does not give you anymore right than any of the other members. You are and will be everyones equal. I'm only stepping up for this because I've ran the shell in the past and I'm mostly online 24/7 I really have no intentions of settling disputes in the shell, as I feel most people are adults and should be able to handle things like that themselves.

Anyways, that's my offer, not just to Merri but to everyone of Backstage.

RE: Intermission and A Realm Reborn - Aysun - 02-02-2013

For some reason this sounds like we should hold a vote! Gospel's campaigning over here! xD

RE: Intermission and A Realm Reborn - NKato - 02-02-2013

I wouldn't mind seeing Aysun and Gospel set up the linkshell.

RE: Intermission and A Realm Reborn - Gospel Gestalt - 02-02-2013

(02-02-2013, 01:56 AM)Aysun Wrote: For some reason this sounds like we should hold a vote! Gospel's campaigning over here! xD

Ah, sorry. I didn't mean for it to come off like I was campaigning or anything but now that I go back and read it, I can kind of see where people would get that idea lol. So I apologize.

I'm honestly fine with Merri making whichever decision he pleases and I also really don't mind who takes over, so long as they will try their best to remain neutral and follow the recent guidelines. I just felt I would share some of my ideas and remind others that the LS system will have easier management features. So if I were to run the shell again, that's probably how I would utilize some of them. ( . _.)b

RE: Intermission and A Realm Reborn - Xenedra - 02-04-2013

I think the biggest issue for anyone running/moderating/whatever this shell in the past has been dealing with member issues. While it'd be great if everyone COULD handle their issues on their own, I think it's not unreasonable to say that it's not really likely to happen. Some of us are adults, but some of us aren't and on top of that, rpers are just drama queens Tongue! It'd be great if whoever was in charge didn't have to resolve member issues or make shell decisions related to said issues, but they are bound to crop up, unfortunately. This is the primary reason I mentioned moderation in the first place. I think that whatever structure is put in place for intermission come 2.0 ought to take this unpleasant truth into account and the leadership should be willing to handle equally unpleasant issues.

RE: Intermission and A Realm Reborn - Myllor - 02-04-2013

(02-04-2013, 01:08 AM)Xenedra Wrote: I think the biggest issue for anyone running/moderating/whatever this shell in the past has been dealing with member issues. While it'd be great if everyone COULD handle their issues on their own, I think it's not unreasonable to say that it's not really likely to happen. Some of us are adults, but some of us aren't and on top of that, rpers are just drama queens Tongue! It'd be great if whoever was in charge didn't have to resolve member issues or make shell decisions related to said issues, but they are bound to crop up, unfortunately. This is the primary reason I mentioned moderation in the first place. I think that whatever structure is put in place for intermission come 2.0 ought to take this unpleasant truth into account and the leadership should be willing to handle equally unpleasant issues.
As much as I haven't been a very large member of the community in the past (I'm trying to stay more connected!), I offer my skills in wading through heaping piles of $#!T.

It's probably my only good leadership quality, mediation. lol

RE: Intermission and A Realm Reborn - Yssen - 02-05-2013

I tend to agree that moderation and mediation will be required. That may seem dire, but I look at it mostly as a prepare for the worst and hope for the best scenario. In a perfect world everyone gets along and no one goes off the deep end and drama-tacular. We do not live in a perfect world, no one is going to agree 100% of the time, and when people go a bit to far in their someone will have to step in and uphold some basic ground rules.

Granted, I could be proven wrong. Everything could be sunshine and butterflies. Things fall apart rapidly when things take a turn for the worst, and there is nothing in place to deal with the situation. Without moderation or mediation we give ourselves over to collectivist/mob rule, and I have rarely seen that work out well in any community. The previous incarnation of the shell already had good policy, organization, and ground rules in place. I do not think that it is a good idea to move away from those things, to a more hands off approach than before.

In my mind this is not about leadership or who has a dot next to their name. This is all about public service, and giving back to a community I from which I draw a great deal of enjoyment. It is in this spirit that I am willing to volunteer my time, expertise, and energy.

RE: Intermission and A Realm Reborn - Eva - 02-05-2013

I don't mind serving this in the same capacity as in 1.0 - in issuing pearls to new RPers if I happen to be in the same area. Beyond that, I'm sure there are far more qualified people to handle dispute resolution and keep the atmosphere warm and friendly for everyone. The truth is I'm usually neck-deep in RP anyway and often had the Backstage/Intermission pearl filtered so that I could focus on that. A lot of the time when I didn't have it filtered, the OOC discussions happening weren't particularly relevent to my interests anyway (this is also the main reason I tend to shy away from the Skype thing). That's not to say there's no value to having it - there certainly is! It's just that I have no desire whatsoever to help with the administrative side of things since I'm not one of the folks putting much of my time into it. But if needed I'll be glad to help distribute linkpearls like I did before. Smile

RE: Intermission and A Realm Reborn - Aysun - 02-05-2013

Hm. I did say (I can dream) after my comment about not needing moderation. >>;

So, three volunteers. I guess just let Merri choose who should make it?

RE: Intermission and A Realm Reborn - Mtoto Wamoto - 02-05-2013

I'm in the same boat as Eva so I'll echo her sentiments about being able to help issue pearls when the need arises. Back in 1.0, I ran into new RPers and returning RPers who were looking for a way to get back into the community quite often, so I would send them this way and refer the OOC pearl to them. It's something I enjoy doing and don't mind doing again Smile

As far as leadership/moderation goes...just my two cents - 

In all honesty, I don't think it matters who creates the new pearl. Whoever creates it needs to understand they aren't above anyone else, they don't own or control any of the members and their RP, and it isn't their choice alone if a member should be kicked out or how they should be handled. At the very end of the day, they're just a member with a fancy star next to their name. Whether they choose to be moderator is an entirely different story. Merri could even remake the pearl and just leave it at that, leaving the moderation to others entirely since we should be getting new linkpearl management options come ARR. 

I think that moderation is important in any social forum, intermission being no exception. However, I don't think that there really needs to be a "leader" per se as stated earlier. I believe that Intermission is, at the very core, an in-game central hub used simply as a tool for us to communicate possible in-character interactions and provide us with a space for out of character mingling. That said, it is a community endeavor, and since no one is above any other member of this community, we should all be helping moderate one another. Of course, not everyone feels comfortable doing that, which brings me to my next point...

I'm of the strong opinion that there should be a group of people to assist in moderation purposes, if only to quell any thing that would otherwise become a problematic situation for the rest of the community. OOC outbursts, racial slurs, publicly shaming other members, and so on would be what the moderators would be in charge of keeping in check. Personal issues with other members should really be taken up in private between the two parties and should really have no place in the pearl chat itself, nor should it bleed over. 

Quote:"In my mind this is not about leadership or who has a dot next to their name. This is all about public service, and giving back to a community I from which I draw a great deal of enjoyment. It is in this spirit that I am willing to volunteer my time, expertise, and energy."

Well, Yysen seems to echo my sentiments as I feel much the same way on the matter. That said, I wouldn't mind serving as a moderator with others and helping mediate when the need arises. Smile