Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Question Box - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Question Box (/showthread.php?tid=1627)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: The Question Box - Sigyn Shieldbreaker - 02-04-2013

(02-04-2013, 09:51 AM)Weffrey Wrote: 16. How is hair coloring seen? For example, someone has green hair. Would they say they dyed their hair green, or are all the colors possible to be born with in regard to hair color in Eorzea? What about highlights? Would people assume they added highlights, or since it's fantasy someone could be born with something like blue and purple hair?

A lot of people have blue hair, so far, and blue is just a lovely color-- but it's not necessarily a 'real' color that people in the real world are born with naturally (except sometimes a very dark blue-black I heard, in India). I think it's easily assumed in Eorzea that everyone can be naturally born with any of the available hair colors, as it is a fantasy world. A thing you could do if you wanted to have some root-borne highlights (some of the highlights only work on the roots like the longer Miqo'te half-up-do with highlights) you could say that your character is constantly working with alchemy and potions and managed to accidentally stain her hair... then just kept right on doing it! It's just an idea, but it sounded funny in my mind.

17. What is/are the way(s) people RP calling a chocobo? In game it's obviously a whistle and then they appear. Is that how most roleplayers call them through whistling?

Sorry to reference WoW again, but on my RP server, it became a bit of a fad to have pre-made emotes on our action bars for summoning mounts, or changing into armor (magically...). For instance, we'd have a pre-made emote 'presses her index fingers into the corners of her lips, releasing a shrill whistle. At the end of the raised note, a storm of hoofbeats could be heard nearby as her mount responded to her summons* and this was attached to the actual action that summoned the mount. I'm not entirely sure if this is even possible in FFXIV, but you can definitely have a close enough relationship with your mount that if you call for them in some physical or magical way, they would come to you. That's if you really want an explanation for summoning your Chocobo-- most people just summon their mount in game and hop right on there, no explanation necessary.

18. Is leveling mostly done IC as something like training exercises, or done more often OOC?

Like Eva said, this is really... up to the person. In the LS Ravyne, G'erard, and I are making, we want to have people RP while they're leveling. It's just our personal opinion that it helps to develop your character's strength to show that they're gaining strength and experience and training in something akin to 'real time' without just referencing it when you find time to return to RP or popping onto the RP social scene at a high level. Not that those options are bad by any means, I used to hold off roleplaying publicly until I was of a level to hold my own in PVP so that I didn't feel inclined to 'godmode' and act as though I had the power of the level I wanted to be while I was a relative novice in game. You can go either route, each has it's pros and cons. Training OOC and waiting until you get to the level you want to 'start' at is more efficient and gives you time to spend all your game-hours only roleplaying without having to worry about the 'grind' and it also makes you (in most games) less susceptible to being randomly picked on and attacked in character. Because in game level reflects into character... somehow. On the other hand, you can develop a character's personality as well as their skills and even have in character explanations for developing certain skills that you might not have considered before starting them if you level IC as well as OOC.

19. Let's say you want to RP with someone that would lead to something like leveling, exploring, or a player-created storyline. Is the best way to just /tell the person and come up with a reason IC to bump into each other, or do most RPers want an element of surprise and would not like a preplanned /tell? 

This is also sort of circumstantial. Depends on the situation, the other player, and what kind of situation you're in. For example, if you want to join an RP linkshell in character, you might join out of character FIRST then arrange an in character meeting through /tells or other messaging. If you see a friend online but they're somewhere else and you have an idea for some RP leveling or some quick roleplay or even an event, you can send them a /tell and ask them to come along and you two can find some way to send an IC message to summon the other or even just bump into one another in game for a first meeting. Further still, if you are rping in a group and you want to host a spontaneous event, you can just offer to do it in character, or find someone you know is in an area, physically walk up to them, and invite them in character to come along on an adventure.

All of the options are plausible.

20. You just gained access to having anything you want for dinner. What are you having? Does your actual level in a class/job reflect your proficiency? I assume it does, but is there anyway a slightly lower level can defeat a higher level if they RP in such a way that they could win? Or is it generally accepted that the higher level character will pretty much always win?

THAT is definitely up to an individual. So I can only give my opinion. I, and most of the people I've known in the past, try very hard to keep our in game proficiency in tune with our characters. I'm one of the people who often resorts to PVP duels for this purpose, because, though I'm not a naturally great PVPer, I know that I can train and become better at it, and thereby reinforcing my abilities using an available and viable game mechanic. Most people I know don't particularly favor individuals at starter levels coming in and roleplaying as a super powerful veteran, imbued with all the skills they could only reach at end game levels. Those people, by proxy, usually refuse to PVP duels and want to roleplay it out. In some cases, this is considered godmoding, and at worst, trolling. I understand the 'hardcore' RP mindsets and all, not wanting to do -anything-, literally -ANYTHING- but roleplay, and that means no pvping, no leveling, no nothing. I personally like to reinforce what I do in character with training and leveling to make sure I represent what I want to represent.

RE: The Question Box - Asyria - 02-04-2013

*Adjusts glasses*

I had blue hair before it was mainstream.

No, really I did.
I was kinda known for being the blue-haired Miqo'te, back in the days. Is it really seen that often now?

RE: The Question Box - Sigyn Shieldbreaker - 02-04-2013

(02-04-2013, 04:12 PM)Asyria Wrote: *Adjusts glasses*

I had blue hair before it was mainstream.

No, really I did.
I was kinda known for being the blue-haired Miqo'te, back in the days. Is it really seen that often now?

I don't think so. I also had a blue haired Miqo'te (wif white highlights) I think most Miqo'tes are natural colored. Deidre is blue haired and I think Yssen is blue haired and I believe Ravyne will have blue in his hair if he doesn't just choose blue hair. But they're different kinds of blue I believe. Blue is a pretty ossim color, but I was just using it as an example. Though I'm pretty sure pink exists, and green highlights exist, I'm not 100% on what other random colors exist. Purple probably?

* I suppose I should have said 'people with blue hair come to mind' rather than 'a lot of people have blue hair'. 'pologies.

RE: The Question Box - Gerik - 02-04-2013

Gerik has purply-burgundy hair (when he has hair) Big Grin

RE: The Question Box - Weffrey - 02-04-2013

@Eva, Asyria, and Siobhain: Thanks again for your answers. I think I'll be ready to start coming up with some plans for my character! 

I'll hold off posting anymore questions to concentrate on forming my character. I'll add more if I suddenly have a nagging one come to mind.

RE: The Question Box - Asyria - 02-05-2013

There was definitely a TON of pink catgirls around back then. o_o

And you're welcome, Weffrey. Smile
I like answering those cause it makes me think about those things. There's some things I looked up (like the malms and yalms) that I wouldn't have if not for this thread.

RE: The Question Box - Rhostel - 02-05-2013

Rhostel has dusty pink hair, a couple of shades redder than Lightning's. It's natural. Smile

RE: The Question Box - Moltove - 02-06-2013

If it assists your character's RP in any way, dye is fairly common as a harvesting material, so I can imagine you can use it for your character, as well.

RE: The Question Box - Weffrey - 02-09-2013

Thanks for the help all!

Two questions have been bothering me lately.

21. I gather dieing in game doesn't mean your character actually dies, but rather is knocked out or wounded. However, let's say a party was RPing in a dungeon and everyone died. Would that still mean the whole group was knocked out/wounded, or would you RP that the group retreated and it's the individuals' decision to say if they were wounded or not?

22. What's your favorite FFXIV monster? When a mob aggros is that taken into account in RP? Such as if a group was discussing a plan and was camped out somewhere when all of a sudden something comes waltzing in and attacks someone. Would that be RPed as an unexpected ambush, or would the group kill it and ignore that it happened?

RE: The Question Box - Eva - 02-09-2013

21. I gather dieing in game doesn't mean your character actually dies, but rather is knocked out or wounded. However, let's say a party was RPing in a dungeon and everyone died. Would that still mean the whole group was knocked out/wounded, or would you RP that the group retreated and it's the individuals' decision to say if they were wounded or not?
Different RPers are going to handle this differently. If there's a serious RP going on and there needs to be some continuity to it, everyone might reassemble and pretend the wipe never took place. Otherwise, perhaps not. Dying vs. KO is another one of those hot topics that no two RPers will have the exact same viewpoint on.

22. What's your favorite FFXIV monster? When a mob aggros is that taken into account in RP? Such as if a group was discussing a plan and was camped out somewhere when all of a sudden something comes waltzing in and attacks someone. Would that be RPed as an unexpected ambush, or would the group kill it and ignore that it happened?
Mandragora!! This is going to vary widely depending on who you're RPing with and their preferences/style. Not everyone will roll with random ocurrances like that, and many will treat the intrusion as something that didn't happen. But this all depends on the exact situation and the people with whom you're playing. To use an example, we'd sometimes have some mobs spawn in the middle of RP and someone would use a job-ability but just say quickly OOC first, "not doing this ICly" - everyone's going to handle this differently though.

(02-09-2013, 03:05 PM)Eva Wrote: 21. I gather dieing in game doesn't mean your character actually dies, but rather is knocked out or wounded. However, let's say a party was RPing in a dungeon and everyone died. Would that still mean the whole group was knocked out/wounded, or would you RP that the group retreated and it's the individuals' decision to say if they were wounded or not?
Different RPers are going to handle this differently.  If there's a serious RP going on and there needs to be some continuity to it, everyone might reassemble and pretend the wipe never took place.  Otherwise, perhaps not.  Dying vs. KO is another one of those hot topics that no two RPers will have the exact same viewpoint on.

22. What's your favorite FFXIV monster? When a mob aggros is that taken into account in RP? Such as if a group was discussing a plan and was camped out somewhere when all of a sudden something comes waltzing in and attacks someone. Would that be RPed as an unexpected ambush, or would the group kill it and ignore that it happened?
Mandragora!!  This is going to vary widely depending on who you're RPing with and their preferences/style.  Not everyone will roll with random ocurrances like that, and many will treat the intrusion as something that didn't happen.  But this all depends on the exact situation and the people with whom you're playing.  To use an example, we'd sometimes have some mobs spawn in the middle of RP and someone would use a job-ability but just say quickly OOC first, "not doing this ICly" - everyone's going to handle this differently though.

Thanks again Eva! So I guess the safe bet if either of these situations occur is to wait and see what others do and either act IC or OOC to continue along.

RE: The Question Box - Moltove - 02-09-2013

(02-09-2013, 03:35 PM)Weffrey Wrote: Thanks again Eva! So I guess the safe bet if either of these situations occur is to wait and see what others do and either act IC or OOC to continue along.

For a lot of these questions, especially the two last questions, you'll be able to tell with the group you're rolling with, as a lot of these questions will resolve themselves naturally. I would look at it considering what the purpose of the RP is for, and what the location is supposed to replicate-- like if your group went to a sanctioned off area that mobs aren't even supposed to be around, but had no choice to hold the event in a mob-infested area.

Other times, there may be a gathering where mobs will occassionally wander in, aggressive or not, and a player will kill it as soon as it gets close, just to do it (often out of boredom or to help with the emmersion).

In places where your group is supposed to be fighting together, I think often than not RP will be done when killing most things, unless if there are a lot of trash mobs and your group...ehh, for a lack of a better term, clears an area so that RP may actually resume without interruption. But you're spot on, I would just see what happens, but generally you'll get a feel for the RP that should be "included"/"skipped".

RE: The Question Box - Sigyn Shieldbreaker - 02-09-2013

21. I gather dying in game doesn't mean your character actually dies, but rather is knocked out or wounded. However, let's say a party was RPing in a dungeon and everyone died. Would that still mean the whole group was knocked out/wounded, or would you RP that the group retreated and it's the individuals' decision to say if they were wounded or not?

Eva's right on this, that not many people agree with in game death vs KO, or about whether or not you'd be considered dead in this particular situation. However, when you're RPing in ANY PVE situation, (i.e. outside a city) you run the risk of being killed by a mob or group of mobs. In a dungeon, the risk is multiplied. Most heavy PVE'ers don't want rp in a dungeon for exactly that reason-- it's too easy to get distracted by typing and suddenly someone accidentally pulls and everyone is dead. Usually, in such a situation with RP'ers, everyone respawns, regroups, buffs, and takes down the mob. Even when it's not accidental, and you went after a mob, IC, this is commonly the case. You keep trying until the mob is dead and in character, you kind of say it was a one-kill wonder and keep right on truckin'. Otherwise, if there is no way to go on (and this is why I don't ever suggest RPing during end-game content if progression is part of the focus), you back up and let everyone assume the degree of their wounds and basically say 'We need more training' and RP your way out. These are just suggestions, and likely the way I would personally handle that situation. Even people who take roleplaying very seriously don't tend to take the repercussions of PVE/RP too literally when it comes to their characters. If you intend to PVE and RP, I advise doing it while leveling or grinding dungeons you know you can survive with a group and including only people who are both willing to be patient and include RP and who are like-minded with you to avoid any more stress than absolutely necessary.

22. What's your favorite FFXIV monster? When a mob aggros is that taken into account in RP? Such as if a group was discussing a plan and was camped out somewhere when all of a sudden something comes waltzing in and attacks someone. Would that be RPed as an unexpected ambush, or would the group kill it and ignore that it happened?

I mentioned this briefly above but I'd like to elaborate on my point of view on the matter: I have had a world spawn pop up right over me and rolfstomp my RP before. It was -not- pretty, not expected, and it was something that the game just does that we can't control. I have to assume this sort of thing is just possible in the world of the game-- sometimes you and your friends might be just standing around and something comes along and kills you like an angry mountain lion or a zombie. I usually go for the second option as a rule. The reason being, if you decide to always go with rping it as an ambush, you have to factor in the likelihood that a mindless killing machine came after you guys with purpose, etc. What do you do if some wandering group of PVE'ers pulls over and kills the mobs for you one day? RP them into it? Assume that you killed it yourself? And what happens if it kills you all and you have to respawn and switch out of your RP gear to the gear with which you wipe the floor with an angry Cactuar mob? Do you RP that you took the time to become conscious and change your clothes to kill the spiny beast? It's a complicated situation and when you move on down to picking and choosing the situations that you decide whether or not to RP the involvement of random spawns, it can cause conflict with others that don't want to assume that. That's why I choose to pause rp, kill the thing, and return to rp, the same way I would in a game with enemy factions that troll their way into your roleplay with the aim to annoy or kill you. I don't pick and choose, when I do manage or someone manages to kill a legitimate non-RPing troll that they were a noteworthy situation in my roleplay, and due to that, I usually just ignore non-RPing people when they come running up to spit on me and challenge me to a fight-- or I'll kill them then return to my RP as though nothing happened. It's hard, in those situations, to tell when someone is being serious and trying to attack you, but they usually have ways of relaying that, even if you can't speak to one another.

(02-09-2013, 05:59 PM)Moltove Wrote:
(02-09-2013, 03:35 PM)Weffrey Wrote: Thanks again Eva! So I guess the safe bet if either of these situations occur is to wait and see what others do and either act IC or OOC to continue along.

For a lot of these questions, especially the two last questions, you'll be able to tell with the group you're rolling with, as a lot of these questions will resolve themselves naturally. I would look at it considering what the purpose of the RP is for, and what the location is supposed to replicate-- like if your group went to a sanctioned off area that mobs aren't even supposed to be around, but had no choice to hold the event in a mob-infested area.

Other times, there may be a gathering where mobs will occassionally wander in, aggressive or not, and a player will kill it as soon as it gets close, just to do it (often out of boredom or to help with the emmersion).

In places where your group is supposed to be fighting together, I think often than not RP will be done when killing most things, unless if there are a lot of trash mobs and your group...ehh, for a lack of a better term, clears an area so that RP may actually resume without interruption. But you're spot on, I would just see what happens, but generally you'll get a feel for the RP that should be "included"/"skipped".

(02-09-2013, 09:05 PM)Siobhain Wrote: 21. I gather dying in game doesn't mean your character actually dies, but rather is knocked out or wounded. However, let's say a party was RPing in a dungeon and everyone died. Would that still mean the whole group was knocked out/wounded, or would you RP that the group retreated and it's the individuals' decision to say if they were wounded or not?

Eva's right on this, that not many people agree with in game death vs KO, or about whether or not you'd be considered dead in this particular situation. However, when you're RPing in ANY PVE situation, (i.e. outside a city) you run the risk of being killed by a mob or group of mobs. In a dungeon, the risk is multiplied. Most heavy PVE'ers don't want rp in a dungeon for exactly that reason-- it's too easy to get distracted by typing and suddenly someone accidentally pulls and everyone is dead. Usually, in such a situation with RP'ers, everyone respawns, regroups, buffs, and takes down the mob. Even when it's not accidental, and you went after a mob, IC, this is commonly the case. You keep trying until the mob is dead and in character, you kind of say it was a one-kill wonder and keep right on truckin'. Otherwise, if there is no way to go on (and this is why I don't ever suggest RPing during end-game content if progression is part of the focus), you back up and let everyone assume the degree of their wounds and basically say 'We need more training' and RP your way out. These are just suggestions, and likely the way I would personally handle that situation. Even people who take roleplaying very seriously don't tend to take the repercussions of PVE/RP too literally when it comes to their characters. If you intend to PVE and RP, I advise doing it while leveling or grinding dungeons you know you can survive with a group and including only people who are both willing to be patient and include RP and who are like-minded with you to avoid any more stress than absolutely necessary.

I mentioned this briefly above but I'd like to elaborate on my point of view on the matter: I have had a world spawn pop up right over me and rolfstomp my RP before. It was -not- pretty, not expected, and it was something that the game just does that we can't control. I have to assume this sort of thing is just possible in the world of the game-- sometimes you and your friends might be just standing around and something comes along and kills you like an angry mountain lion or a zombie. I usually go for the second option as a rule. The reason being, if you decide to always go with rping it as an ambush, you have to factor in the likelihood that a mindless killing machine came after you guys with purpose, etc. What do you do if some wandering group of PVE'ers pulls over and kills the mobs for you one day? RP them into it? Assume that you killed it yourself? And what happens if it kills you all and you have to respawn and switch out of your RP gear to the gear with which you wipe the floor with an angry Cactuar mob? Do you RP that you took the time to become conscious and change your clothes to kill the spiny beast? It's a complicated situation and when you move on down to picking and choosing the situations that you decide whether or not to RP the involvement of random spawns, it can cause conflict with others that don't want to assume that. That's why I choose to pause rp, kill the thing, and return to rp, the same way I would in a game with enemy factions that troll their way into your roleplay with the aim to annoy or kill you. I don't pick and choose, when I do manage or someone manages to kill a legitimate non-RPing troll that they were a noteworthy situation in my roleplay, and due to that, I usually just ignore non-RPing people when they come running up to spit on me and challenge me to a fight-- or I'll kill them then return to my RP as though nothing happened. It's hard, in those situations, to tell when someone is being serious and trying to attack you, but they usually have ways of relaying that, even if you can't speak to one another.

Thank you Moltove and Siobhain. I now see it will depend on whoever I'm RPing with for sure. 

Also, just want to say again thanks to everyone helping me learn about RP. I am so excited to try it as Bhav once ARR comes online. 

If anymore glaring questions pop up I'll continue posting here.

RE: The Question Box - Moltove - 02-09-2013

Like it's been said before, I too am excited you're posting all these questions =). Overall it's just great to see so many new faces, returning faces and those that show true interest in at least trying or sticking around!