Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] Going Lalafell, distinct decline in RP? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] Going Lalafell, distinct decline in RP? (/showthread.php?tid=16682)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Going Lalafell, distinct decline in RP? - Sorcini - 07-11-2016

One of the first I ever met and RP'ed with, as well as one of my most favourite characters, is infact a Lalafell. Smart, cheeky, with heart, even has had lots of admirers/bfs/gfs/romantic interests... it's the person behind the character. 

That set a lot in terms of my expectations on future Lalafells and it only takes one to change the views of many. I think do not doubt yourself and see it as a hindrance. If some people choose to stick blinders on, basing or make decisions on what they see or want to see, you can't stop them. All characters have a complexity to them and it's more about the person/s you're RP'ing with to have fun and discover that with you.

RE: Going Lalafell, distinct decline in RP? - Caspar - 07-12-2016

(07-11-2016, 04:58 PM)Meishali Wrote: I think it's a shame every time people straight up think lalafellin characters are trolls and dismiss them. Whether they end up being Dunesfolk or Plainsfolk, their lore is rich, and just amazing imo.

My lalafell is part of the first characters I made and is as old as my three mains. I have only been RPing him actively in the past months, because I finally found out his whole dynamic. I wanted to make an Ul'dahn black marketeer, and to be honest, what's better for that than a dunesfolk?

People are really not interested in 'non humans/non adults' looking races in most MMOs, because 1) oh, no, romance/cyber isn't an option, 2) they are labeled as trolls or uninteresting. This is apparently a very western mindset, as, according to japanese RPers, Lalafells are more present and taken very seriously in the east.

To OP: keep pushing. We need people to roleplay Roegadyns and Lalafells more often, and this, as much as possible. If you have an idea for any non-hyur, non-miqo'te or non-auri race, by all means, do it! You're only doing a great service to the community. At the end of the day, you will always find people to RP with. It just (sadly) asks for more efforts on your end. :[ It bothers me to say it, but you gotta push until you manage to prove people you're 'legit'. Usually a wiki is enough, to be honest.

Oh, and yeah. People not allowing roleplayers to join a scene because of their chosen races aren't worth RPing with. I have my own bias, but if the RP is good, then it's good. Always give the benefit of the doubt to people and see for yourself, @ people dismissing lalafells by default.
I'm curious to see what it's like over there RP-wise. I actually started on Aegis. But my langguage ability is insufficient to play with them. 

I'm not surprised it's a western thing. I think our idea of what is "mature," and particularly what is feminine, or unmanly, by association, is different in some small ways. Like I mentiomed, when you pick Lala you give up on sex appeal and machismo. You get cute in exchange. How much mileage you get out of it depends on the people across from you. 

It's part of the reason why I'm not that negatively disposed against "cute" lalas. If you don't overplay it, you can probably just have a young, naive character behave as you'd expect, and the race's natural looks will lend itself to that impression. I've gotten a lot of responses like this just RPing normally. It's mostly her look, but I figure her sometimes naive side has something to do with it. That and Virara has considerable vulnerability for being relatively strong in comparison to many PCs.