Hydaelyn Role-Players
What do we know about the Sanguine Sirens and Kracken's Arm - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: What do we know about the Sanguine Sirens and Kracken's Arm (/showthread.php?tid=16789)

What do we know about the Sanguine Sirens and Kracken's Arm - Morningstar1337 - 07-22-2016

Preemptive Video

Preemptive Link

The Maelstrom as we know it is primarily comprised of Pirate crews. The addition of Hullbreaker Hardmode among other things have pushed two of these crews into the spotlight. The Sanguine Sirens, an all female crew and the Kracken's Arm who I speculate for contrast's sake to be all-male.

The Sirens are led by Rhoswen, a female Roegadyn who seems to have a Tsundere-ish relationship with Carvallain the Elezen leader of the Arm. Another related NPC is the ex-Siren chef Melkoko Melko.

While the pirate crews wee re-purposed into the Crimson Fleet Navy an the bulk of the Maelstrom's forces. These two crews in particular seem to be in a rivalry of sorts.

From what I notice an remembered (mostly form the first Boss fight, the Siren Lalafells seem to rather avoid letting their hair down, Melkoko's hair is in twintails an the Gunners have either the Odango hairstyle or lower pigtails (Though I'm certain this is just SE being lazy with the models combined with a coincidence with Melkoko). Meanwhile what can be inferred from the Kracken's Arm is that they seem to have a affinity with capturing feral beasts resulting in the appearance of Arouchs, Dodos, Jackals an likely Tigers, all of which appeared in La Noscea as mobs (the latter being exclusive to the MCH intro quests), and more tellingly the 2nd boss Ymir.

These two crews seem to be high in the chain of command of the Maelstrom, possibly the 3rd and 4th (or 4th and 5th) in command

Now what else so we know about these two crews?

RE: What do we know about the Sanguine Sirens and Kracken's Arm - As'elena - 07-22-2016

The majority of the Maelstrom consists of the main Lominsan Armada which are the Knights of the Barracuda. Pirate gangs play an important part, but is not what the Maelstrom is primarily made up of as far as I'm aware. It is also never really specified how high they are in the chain of command, but I honestly doubt a pirate gang is close to commanding more than the fleet they are a part of.

Rhoswen is also a female Hyur Midlander, not a Roegadyn!

What we really know about those two pirate gangs is a bit limited however. The Sanguine Sirens are indeed an all-female crew that own the Missing Member in Limsa Lominsa. That being said, they did have one male member in their crew back in 1.0 who used to infiltrate the Barracuda during Sthallman's grand scheme of becoming Admiral.

The Kraken's Arms have very little information aside from the fact we know that they control most of the spice trade and that Captain Carvallain might have blood-ties in Ishgard. We don't know for certain the Kraken's are responsible for bringing all that wildlife to Vylbrand but a lot of La Noscean creatures originate from the east. I recall Dodo's come from some island just east of Thanalan and coeurl, I think originate from Thavnair.

It is also worth noting that both crews used to frequently use the Astalicia and former illegitimate Marauder's Guild, founded by One-Eyed Hyllfyr, leader of the Bloody Executioners. They are currently known to be the most powerful pirate gang and have a lot of sway over what other pirate crews do.

RE: What do we know about the Sanguine Sirens and Kracken's Arm - Valence - 07-22-2016

Pirates are mostly what they have become under Merlwyb new structures really: privateers. They get letters of marque that allow them to continue exerting their trade (pirating) over cerain vessels, like garleans. Other than that, they are not properly integrated into the Maelstrom as far as I know.

But they hold various degrees of influence! They are a bit like the nobles/aristocracy of the Thalassocracy here. They have power, wealth, men and influence.

RE: What do we know about the Sanguine Sirens and Kracken's Arm - As'elena - 07-22-2016

(07-22-2016, 09:15 AM)Valence Wrote: Pirates are mostly what they have become under Merlwyb new structures really: privateers. They get letters of marque that allow them to continue exerting their trade (pirating) over cerain vessels, like garleans. Other than that, they are not properly integrated into the Maelstrom as far as I know.

But they hold various degrees of influence! They are a bit like the nobles/aristocracy of the Thalassocracy here. They have power, wealth, men and influence.
Pirates are not part of the main armada, but the new Crimson Fleet is made up of both Knights and Pirates, so it depends really! Some pirates do sail directly under Maelstrom Command.