Hydaelyn Role-Players
Canon RPers and You - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Canon RPers and You (/showthread.php?tid=17265)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Canon RPers and You - Caspar - 09-16-2016

(09-16-2016, 09:27 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(09-16-2016, 08:47 PM)Shoshopu Wrote: If fanfiction is okay, why is RP not?

One is solicited, the other is not. You don't have to open up "Thancred at the Quicksand, Part XII" if you see it listed, but if you're RPing and he just shows up, you're forced to respond to it.
I think that's probably the least defensible element. That's the element that is most likely to bother a person in the oc vs canon character imitation example. Being in the same place and not really having control of it.

RE: Canon RPers and You - Warren Castille - 09-16-2016

(09-16-2016, 09:30 PM)Caspar Wrote:

One is solicited, the other is not. You don't have to open up "Thancred at the Quicksand, Part XII" if you see it listed, but if you're RPing and he just shows up, you're forced to respond to it.
I think that's probably the least defensible element. That's the element that is most likely to bother a person in the oc vs canon character imitation example. Being in the same place and not really having control of it.

I'm speaking mostly (and broadly) about events, but those sorts of things can create some ugly continuity splinters. If half the people there are fine with Thancred turning up to get turnt up, and the other half aren't, how are they supposed to interact with one another? It's a messy, complicated mess, and the option to opt out always exists but isn't always deployed in a smooth manner.

RE: Canon RPers and You - Arrelaine - 09-16-2016

(09-16-2016, 09:36 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:

I'm speaking mostly (and broadly) about events, but those sorts of things can create some ugly continuity splinters. If half the people there are fine with Thancred turning up to get turnt up, and the other half aren't, how are they supposed to interact with one another? It's a messy, complicated mess, and the option to opt out always exists but isn't always deployed in a smooth manner.
Pretty much this. That, and if they show up to an event... and so does another Thancred (which I have seen before, multiple NPCs showing up) who do we treat as the 'real' Thancred? There's also the issue of continuity. One Thancred does something, and someone else's Thancred does something else. Do we associate the actions to both Thancreds? Do we treat it as a one-shot, and it's not something that sticks? If so, that would go against quite a few roleplayers 'rules', like retconning something like that as never happening.

I'm more ok with minor npcs than characters like the Scions etc.

RE: Canon RPers and You - Yandros - 09-16-2016

(09-16-2016, 09:55 PM)Arrelaine Wrote:
(09-16-2016, 09:36 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:

Pretty much this. That, and if they show up to an event... and so does another Thancred (which I have seen before, multiple NPCs showing up) who do we treat as the 'real' Thancred? There's also the issue of continuity. One Thancred does something, and someone else's Thancred does something else. Do we associate the actions to both Thancreds? Do we treat it as a one-shot, and it's not something that sticks? If so, that would go against quite a few roleplayers 'rules', like retconning something like that as never happening.

I'm more ok with minor npcs than characters like the Scions etc.

Not to derail too much here, but I now really want to see some sort of Monty Python -esque situation where two people playing major lore NPC's show up and end up in a "No, YOU are the impostor!" situation.  
Actually.  No.  Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck situation!

"You are the impostor!"
"No you are!"
"No you!"
"Yes I am the impostor!"
"No I am the impostor!"

RE: Canon RPers and You - Charity322 - 09-16-2016

(09-16-2016, 03:29 PM)Caspar Wrote: I'm okay with two or three degrees of separation, ie I know a friend whose sister dated Thancred, etc.

Thancred dates anything that moves.

RE: Canon RPers and You - Caspar - 09-17-2016

(09-16-2016, 11:53 PM)Charity322 Wrote:
(09-16-2016, 03:29 PM)Caspar Wrote: I'm okay with two or three degrees of separation, ie I know a friend whose sister dated Thancred, etc.

He's Punished Cred now. He's more serious business now. Plus I bet he's team Hilda now.

RE: Canon RPers and You - Kilieit - 09-17-2016

(09-16-2016, 11:53 PM)Charity322 Wrote:

No no, they also have to be broadly Good-aligned!

...because that totally narrows it down. xD

Though that does bring up the topic of plausibility - it's a lot more believable (and therefore likely compatible with other reasonable people's ideas of how things happened) that Thancred (who lives in Ul'dah and has been canonically stated to sleep around - which means even if someone else's character says their sister was dating him in the same time period, the two headcanons are still compatible with each other! Lol.) dated your character's sister than, say, Ser Aymeric (who lives in Ishgard, which was closed off to outsiders until recently, and has been canonically stated to have no interest in romance).

RE: Canon RPers and You - Kellach Woods - 09-17-2016

(09-16-2016, 07:27 PM)Enla Wrote: Real People Fiction is a thing, a very terrifying thing. I've stumbled upon a few Jacksepticeye x Pewdiepie fanfictions. x_x
I know it's a thing.

I am very aware that it is a thing.

RE: Canon RPers and You - Berrod Armstrong - 09-17-2016

I don't integrate them into my own roleplay, and often decline when approached -- but I enjoy watching them and their interpretations/stories. I just sit in a corner somewhere and just soak up all the NPC story drama.

RE: Canon RPers and You - Ritsu - 09-17-2016

It isn't really for me. None of my characters would really run in the same circles or know of them, so at best they might meet them in a tavern or something.

But then there is the potential problem of multiples. Say I meet one NPC but then come across another NPC'ing the same thing. Just feel it could get messy in that way.

RE: Canon RPers and You - Kellach Woods - 09-17-2016

WE ARE AYMERIC.

WE ARE LEGION.

RE: Canon RPers and You - Charity322 - 09-17-2016

Now I want to see someone do a really good impersonator PC.

RE: Canon RPers and You - Silmanos - 09-17-2016

Yeah thats a no for me. Just no. I won't go out of my way to call them out but I will not interact with them at all. Like I know many people have their characters only mildly aware of msq events at best but even then I imagine most Ishgardian characters would know of things that have happened to Haurchefant and Aymeric and thats a can of worms I won't deal with as an Ishgardian rper. So I will stay away. If they force it on me... my character can and will completely laugh in their face and call them out on being an imposter, especially if they are related to Ishgard.

RE: Canon RPers and You - Cailean Lockwood - 09-18-2016

After having seen 5 Haurchefants standing in Ul'dah and RP... no thanks.

RE: Canon RPers and You - Dante Abigor - 09-18-2016

I kind of treat them like a ticking time bomb to be honest. I mean, it's like a giant middle finger in a way. Not because they took a pre established character as their own, but because rp kinda works around a system of people not particularly more well established than others in the way of being special. 

Being Thancred, for example, shatters that notion for literally everyone involved. You just inserted a "famous" person into rp. There is no canon precident for this being possible because you create questions that can't be answered. How famous is "Thancred" and should I know him on sight? Is my character special enough to interact with this person? Will they be accurate enough to match everyone's canon (hell no)? There is no way to introduce a character that is constantly subject to official change into rp without making a large portion of everyone participating feel uncomfortable in some kind of way. If a person you interact with has to have a mental exercise about whether or not interacting with you can be canon or even good to do at all, in my opinion, you have done something wrong more often than not. 

And all because some douche wanted to be a special potato among people who usually all want to be special potatoes but can't cause of what I'll politely call public order. 

Tl;dr: I avoid them because ultimately they are either stressful, a waste of my time, or both.

Edit: for a more extreme example of what I mean, imagine someone rping as Lightning. We know it's canon that she could be there, and she could be easily remade without it directly mucking up ffxiv because her story is done, so to speak. But how easy is that character to digest in a public rp setting? I think that more easily sums up what I was getting at if my points seemed unclear.