Hydaelyn Role-Players
The New 3.4 RP Status: What it means - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The New 3.4 RP Status: What it means (/showthread.php?tid=17352)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: The New 3.4 RP Status: What it means - S'imba - 09-29-2016

The big advantage that I see for it is people being able to locate rpers on different servers. I mean right now it probably isn't too effective since non rpers could just be messing around with it. But given time it might help other communities grow.

RE: The New 3.4 RP Status: What it means - Parvacake - 09-29-2016

I've gotten in the habit of having it flagged regularly to show I'm a RPer. However, this might change in the future. -shrugs- I'm still in the phase about the icon where it's so OMGbksjfkjdnkdjfnbjdcfnjkl (see gif below for translation)

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: The New 3.4 RP Status: What it means - Trigonxv - 09-29-2016

IC or not it let's me know who is an rper cause I can tell you right now there are a lot of ppl I didn't think who rp'ed cause no search info which upon inquiring showed they do so. I see it as a means to expand your rp base, besides we did fine without it before so we should be able to stay the course no matter how it is used. I mean to say to use it only on certain pre requisites is a bit silly and just limits how useful it can be

RE: The New 3.4 RP Status: What it means - Graves - 09-29-2016

While it does say Roleplaying and not Roleplayers I leave it on to show I am a Roleplayers. As stated in a previous post I have seen Roleplayers pop up that I didn't know took part. People will still more then likely view search info, whisper, or just walk up for roleplay so things won't truly change no matter if there is a tag or not next to their name.

RE: The New 3.4 RP Status: What it means - SkyeTheKnumpty - 09-29-2016

I hope more people use it to signify when they're IC. Although people might think I'm using it wrong because I've basically got my RP logo on the entire time I'm online, but that's just because I genuinely am down for walk-up RP literally any time.

RE: The New 3.4 RP Status: What it means - Valen - 09-29-2016

I feel like using the RP icon as just another way to tell others you're an RPer is a bit redundant when with one character, you can have the word "Role-Player" in your search info, and also a good majority of RPers have an FC tag that says *Insert FC Name*-RP.

I'd much rather people use it to signify that they're currently IC, as I'm already more than well enough aware that you're an RPer without the icon.

RE: The New 3.4 RP Status: What it means - Ruran - 09-29-2016

I'm on the side of those who would like it to be used as an IC indicator. It's already been said, but search comments are easy to check if you're curious about whether or not a specific someone is a roleplayer.

I plan to only use it to let people on my Friendlist, LSs, walk-ups, etc know that I'm currently IC. It just seems to be the most practical use so far. /shrug

RE: The New 3.4 RP Status: What it means - Zhavi - 09-29-2016

I like it when people use it to indicate that they want to rp, no matter what they're currently doing. I don't randomly look at everyone's note. I like having an indicator to check someone's note, or send them a tell asking if they'd be willing to rp.

Or hell, even just to make a new contact. I don't generally like restrictions* in an open rp setting like MMOs -- even ooc things like this.

*I've said it before and I'll say it again: RP is a hobby. Do what you want, but just don't expect that everyone else is gonna wanna do the same thing.

RE: The New 3.4 RP Status: What it means - Unnamed Mercenary - 09-29-2016

I'll be putting it on when I'm looking for RP or open towalk ups . If actively RPing, it should be pretty easy to tell if a scene is open or not, so I don't feel it's strictly required for that.

If I don't feel like being IC or advertising that I want to RP, I'll not put the status icon on.

RE: The New 3.4 RP Status: What it means - ExAtomos - 09-29-2016

It makes sense there will be a bit of bumpy road til we figure out how we as a community want to made use of this status.

Similar to Kilieit, I'll put it up if I am actively roleplaying (as in I'm busy doing a thing) at that time. This does not necessarily mean I am open to walk ups at that time. Or I'll throw it up while I'm jogging to the GS or somewhere if I /am/ open to walk ups. But even then, I've always been one to prefer tells prior to said walk up. The new RP symbol kinda has to cover all these differences anyways. >w<

What I'm curious about is how to handle RP events. If everyone involved puts up the RP symbol, how do we tell who is running said event? /lfm has worked before of course, but I actually get tells asking if I want something melded... -_-; Plus, they are both gold colored. Are we changing or keeping to the usual way?

RE: The New 3.4 RP Status: What it means - ZOMGodzilla - 09-29-2016

(09-29-2016, 04:54 AM)Chichiyo Chiyo Wrote: I have mixed feelings about this new status icon. I really wish that it was added a long time ago but there we go. I now feel forced to use it to let others know that i'm available for role play.
Now, I don't play with player character names on as I dislike blue letters hovering over peoples heads all over the place and especially when role playing.
So with that, I never see anyones status icon anyway unless I target and click them. I was just role playing yesterday and somebody whispered me the following:

"Are you a roleplayer?" (At this moment I am quite clearly roleplaying with someone.)
"You know there is an RP tag right?"

So I replied, Well I don't see peoples names or mine so I kind of just forgot about it.

"Well people might get confused..."

And he just went on and on.

Fair enough if the status icon had been around for quite some time. But it was a day.

I hate that I feel forced to use it now whenever I go to role play. I'm pretty much open to role play wherever I am unless i'm crafting, by the marketboards or in duty. All the places you usually don't find anyone being IC that often.

Does anyone else feel abit 'forced' to use this to indicate whether they are available to role play now?
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate their implementation of it but I feel it's a little late for it but I do believe it'll also just be a matter of time before we all get used to it too.
I don't think the tag is in any way necessary for roleplayers engaging in roleplay. No one is obligated to use it, much like you're not obligated to use /busy or /afk. Rather, I think that using it when not roleplaying is what causes confusion or defeats the purpose of the tag. Like I said, it seems best applied when you accept walk-ups/are IC rather than as a "mentor-esque" label.

When it comes to the argument that it allows people to know that, in fact, "you're actually a roleplayer" my thought process is this:
By utilizing the rp tag as a label of your status as a roleplayer, you've effectively changed the location of your search info rp tag and lost the ability to indicate when you're IC, which is a far more important I think.

Which would you rather get? A more immediate presence of your search info "Roleplayer" or a way to tell everyone you're available for walk ups, negating the need for anyone to /tell you?

RE: The New 3.4 RP Status: What it means - Chichiyo Chiyo - 09-29-2016

I was pretty fine with the way things were actually.
I just didn't appreciate the idea of which - now that we do have an RP icon that if I didn't have it on whilst role playing then I would somewhat be assumed unavailable to role play.
I quite like looking at search infos as I get to glean just a little more from the player/character than just the simple 'Roleplaying' status. As for taking away the need for a /tell, I prefer walkups much much more than a /tell that usually disturbs immersion for me anyway.

RE: The New 3.4 RP Status: What it means - Haven's Fox - 09-29-2016

I mainly just want to know if there is a / command to enable or disable the tag.

RE: The New 3.4 RP Status: What it means - Zhavi - 09-30-2016

(09-29-2016, 03:53 PM)ZOMGodzilla Wrote: I don't think the tag is in any way necessary for roleplayers engaging in roleplay. No one is obligated to use it, much like you're not obligated to use /busy or /afk. Rather, I think that using it when not roleplaying is what causes confusion or defeats the purpose of the tag. Like I said, it seems best applied when you accept walk-ups/are IC rather than as a "mentor-esque" label.

When it comes to the argument that it allows people to know that, in fact, "you're actually a roleplayer" my thought process is this:
By utilizing the rp tag as a label of your status as a roleplayer, you've effectively changed the location of your search info rp tag and lost the ability to indicate when you're IC, which is a far more important I think.

Which would you rather get? A more immediate presence of your search info "Roleplayer" or a way to tell everyone you're available for walk ups, negating the need for anyone to /tell you?

See, most of the time I don't like walkups. If I'm available for rp, I prefer tells. If I have it on, it's a hint to other players to, oh I don't know, look at my search info, where it will then let them know that I would like them to send me a tell. Same thing with other players where it will let them know to just walk up and start rping.

There's not going to magically come a time where everyone uses the thing the same way. It's an indicator, not some super secret handshake that's gonna mean the same thing to everyone. :/

RE: The New 3.4 RP Status: What it means - Knislinge - 09-30-2016

I suppose the problem's bigger on other servers, but since Balmung is already 'The RP server' (or as close as we have to an official one), I'm just going to assume that if someone has the tag on, aren't AFK, and aren't very obviously OOC (wearing speedos, jumping around, emote-spamming, etc), that it means they're IC and/or up for roleplay. I know that's what I'll be doing.

At worst I'll get told to bugger off.