Hydaelyn Role-Players
Character Heights: Some Observations - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Character Heights: Some Observations (/showthread.php?tid=1737)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Character Heights: Some Observations - Eva - 02-27-2013

S-E finally gave us some specific information so I'll paste here from Myllor's post, further down in this thread:

Male Roegadyn         7'0.1"    7'3.4"    7'6.7"
Female Roegadyn     6'3.6"    6'9.6"    7'3.7"
Male Elezen              6'4.4"    6'7.5"    6'10.2"
Female Elezen          6'0.2"    6'3.2"    6'6.1"    
Male Highlander        6'0.2"    6'3.8"    6'6.8"
Female Highlander    5'6.2"     5'11"     6'1.8"
Male Midlander         5'6.1"     5'8.9"    5'11.6"
Female Midlander     5'2"        5'4.5"    5'7.1"
Male Miqo'te            5'2.7"     5'5.4"    5'8.2"
Female Miqo'te        4'10.9"    5'1.4"    5'3.8"
Male Lalafell             2'10.2"    3'0.2"    3'2.2"
Female Lalafell          2'10.2"    3'0.2"    3'2.2"

The numbers in each row are what the game regards as minimum, average, and maximum height for each race/gender pairing (and clan in the case of hyur).

I'm also leaving Selene's chart since it's still accurate and derives from screenshots rather than observational data:
[Image: bB114BT.jpg]

Show Content

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Gerik - 02-27-2013

Amazebaaaaaaaalls

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Noaleth - 02-27-2013

Awesome, I was hoping to come across something like this, and it seems you guys know what you're doing so.. a big thank you to all involved in compiling this list! Big Grin

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Gossamer - 02-27-2013

What a great reference! Thanks for putting this together!

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Rhostel - 02-27-2013

This works perfectly for Rhostel's height. Smile

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Darkfae - 02-27-2013

Thank you for working on this!

Perhaps some of the artists could get together and make one of those "line up" images like they have in various D&D books after everything is "finalized", to a point, for a more visual reference? The current graph does help, but I've noticed people tend to have an easier time connecting with the "line up" style height guides.

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Vareal - 02-27-2013

Guess that means I gotta fix Isaac's height. It's better this way anyway, thanks!

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Rhio - 02-27-2013

Yeah, I need to fix Rhio's height a bit as well. (She's tall for a miqo'te, but she's still short in the grand scheme of things. I aimed a bit too high despite that, mostly because everyone in a Final Fantasy game is tall by normal human standards.)

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Eva - 02-28-2013

(02-27-2013, 11:10 PM)Darkfae Wrote: Thank you for working on this!

Perhaps some of the artists could get together and make one of those "line up" images like they have in various D&D books after everything is "finalized", to a point, for a more visual reference? The current graph does help, but I've noticed people tend to have an easier time connecting with the "line up" style height guides.

Something like this has already been done and finalized by one of the participants of this group, but we didn't want to take any chances with regards to the NDA and such.  I plan to update the OP of this thread with some more information - including that wonderful rendition to accompany the chart - once that has been lifted.  I can certainly appreciate how that might be more helpful than the bar chart provided. I will also add that it looks AWESOME and can't wait until we can do that~

I believe I may be adjusting my own character's height somewhat, as well.  Smile

Thank you for the feedback so far.  I'm glad this was worth the effort.

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Satisiun - 03-02-2013

Like I said in my +Rep to you, Eva, great work. It's obvious you put a lot of thought and consideration in to this, and once the NDA is lifted and images of comparison can be better pored over without issues of disclosure, it'll be fun to test the accuracy of this.

I'm oddly surprised at one or two of the results, particularly how Elezen Female can be dwarfed by Highlander Hyur Males. That definitely throws me for a loop considering how the rest of the scale progressively slides down by race for the most part.  Male Miqo'te height also surprises me, though I guess not too much if they had to keep them within a similar range as their female counterparts.

If this holds up during Open Beta, looks like Sati will be getting a bit off the top to better accommodate to the high end of the scale. Laugh  Do you intend to also put out more specific numbers to all five height options we've seen in Character Creation videos SE has put out, or just keep it to Low/Avg/High?

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Aysun - 03-02-2013

(03-02-2013, 12:45 PM)Satisiun Wrote: Like I said in my +Rep to you, Eva, great work. It's obvious you put a lot of thought and consideration in to this, and once the NDA is lifted and images of comparison can be better pored over without issues of disclosure, it'll be fun to test the accuracy of this.

To clarify, it has been tested. These heights were derived in a complicated way based on a series of planned screenshots of every race/gender at the average and extreme heights given to us as options in game. Using the "average male height," others heights (very short and very tall) were determined. The testing is done, and it is SO accurate. Smile Very proud of Eva for all the work she put into this in measuring and determining heights.

This deserves a sticky~

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Sigyn Shieldbreaker - 03-02-2013

Agreed. It'll be very helpful for new people who are having height issues. Now if only someone could explain weight to me... O_O

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Rhio - 03-02-2013

Weight is the result of the force gravity exerts upon your body mass. Due to the strong gravitational force of the planet, weight is constant on the Earth's surface and provides a constant force pulling you downward toward the planet, meaning in essence that you are always exerting a force equal to your mass multiplied by acceleration due to gravity. The metric unit for weight is the newton, the imperial unit for weight is the pound.

A common misconception among Americans is that grams measure weight, when in fact they measure mass. Thus, while your mass in kilograms would be constant if you moved from the Earth to the moon, your weight in pounds would not.

If you need weight explained further, I'm sure I could offer some suggestions.

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Aysun - 03-02-2013

Lol, really, Rhio? Really?

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Sigyn Shieldbreaker - 03-02-2013

(03-02-2013, 10:22 PM)Rhio Wrote: Weight is the result of the force gravity exerts upon your body mass.  Due to the strong gravitational force of the planet, weight is constant on the Earth's surface and provides a constant force pulling you downward toward the planet, meaning in essence that you are always exerting a force equal to your mass multiplied by acceleration due to gravity.  The metric unit for weight is the newton, the imperial unit for weight is the pound.

A common misconception among Americans is that grams measure weight, when in fact they measure mass.  Thus, while your mass in kilograms would be constant if you moved from the Earth to the moon, your weight in pounds would not.

If you need weight explained further, I'm sure I could offer some suggestions.

Touche....

In the future, I'll be more specific. For now, I suppose I'll writhe in my own shame.