Hydaelyn Role-Players
Character Heights: Some Observations - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Character Heights: Some Observations (/showthread.php?tid=1737)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Rhio - 03-02-2013

(03-02-2013, 10:27 PM)Aysun Wrote: Lol, really, Rhio? Really?

Really! The imperial unit of mass is the slug, which has fallen out of common use as the scientific community has largely moved over to the metric system. Most people will refer to mass as if it was weight under metric as well, since the equation for measuring mass is fairly simple (measure force and divide by acceleration due to gravity, which is 9.83 m/s^2).

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Aysun - 03-02-2013

Damn you are so good at Wikipedia.

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Rhio - 03-02-2013

(03-02-2013, 10:29 PM)Siobhain Wrote: Touche....

In the future, I'll be more specific. For now, I suppose I'll writhe in my own shame.

Aw, shame-writhing is no fun.

Unfortunately, weight is a bit harder to calculate reliably simply because there are gaps in our knowledge about character mass. But we can still use some awkward math to figure out some ranges based on height, armed with a bit of BMI. Which is a terrible indicator in general, but it can work out well enough for these purposes.

A normal healthy adult is considered by the CDC to be someone with a BMI between 18.5 and 24.9. The lower end is skinnier, the higher end is fitter or more muscular. (Or heavier and softer, depending on taste.) The formula used is:

weight in pounds / ( height in inches ^ 2) X 703 = BMI

Except we don't want to find BMI, we want to work backwards from it. So let's just adjust this equation a little bit for what we actually want:

(BMI / 703) * height ^ 2 = weight

So. Let's figure this out with an average muscular Roegadyn woman with a BMI of 23 (fairly bulky) and a height of 7' (tall side of average). 7' is, of course, 84". We plug all that in and...

(23/703) * 84^2 = 231

So she'd be around 231 ponz, which certainly sounds reasonable for a tall and muscular woman. It's not perfect, but it's a worthy kludge without more hard data.

Edit: I managed to misspell "writhing," so good work getting math right when you're a writer. Derp me.

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Deirdre - 03-02-2013

Hm I was looking at this height chart and I'm kind of curious...

I stood Deirdre (Shortest Wildwood Elezen Female) next to Bancroft (Tallest Moonkeeper Miqo'te Male) and he is significantly shorter... but the graph says they are the same height.

Subsequently, Gospel (Shortest Midlander Hyur Male) next to Bancroft, they are also the same height. The graph there says Gospel should be taller...

... will be interesting to see the comparison with the screenshots once NDA is over.

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Sigyn Shieldbreaker - 03-02-2013

(03-02-2013, 10:41 PM)Rhio Wrote:
(03-02-2013, 10:29 PM)Siobhain Wrote: Touche....

In the future, I'll be more specific. For now, I suppose I'll writhe in my own shame.

Aw, shame-writhing is no fun.

Unfortunately, weight is a bit harder to calculate reliably simply because there are gaps in our knowledge about character mass.  But we can still use some awkward math to figure out some ranges based on height, armed with a bit of BMI.  Which is a terrible indicator in general, but it can work out well enough for these purposes.

A normal healthy adult is considered by the CDC to be someone with a BMI between 18.5 and 24.9.  The lower end is skinnier, the higher end is fitter or more muscular.  (Or heavier and softer, depending on taste.)  The formula used is:

weight in pounds / ( height in inches ^ 2) X 703 = BMI

Except we don't want to find BMI, we want to work backwards from it.  So let's just adjust this equation a little bit for what we actually want:

(BMI / 703) * height ^ 2 = weight

So.  Let's figure this out with an average muscular Roegadyn woman with a BMI of 23 (fairly bulky) and a height of 7' (tall side of average).  7' is, of course, 84".  We plug all that in and...

(23/703) * 84^2 = 231

So she'd be around 231 ponz, which certainly sounds reasonable for a tall and muscular woman.  It's not perfect, but it's a worthy kludge without more hard data.

Edit: I managed to misspell "writhing," so good work getting math right when you're a writer.  Derp me.

Thank you so much! I am pretty terrible at math so that just blew my mind. I will attempt to learn things better (but that end number is very nearly what I was looking for). Thank you again!

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Eva - 03-02-2013

(03-02-2013, 10:49 PM)Deirdre Wrote: Hm I was looking at this height chart and I'm kind of curious...

I stood Deirdre (Shortest Wildwood Elezen Female) next to Bancroft (Tallest Moonkeeper Miqo'te Male) and he is significantly shorter... but the graph says they are the same height.

Subsequently, Gospel (Shortest Midlander Hyur Male) next to Bancroft, they are also the same height. The graph there says Gospel should be taller...

... will be interesting to see the comparison with the screenshots once NDA is over.
Just curious, but were you factoring in the miqo'te ears in the height?  For the purposes of our initial observations, I was not including the ears.  You said 'significantly' though, so I'm not sure.  Also hair adds height as well, and that's something else to be aware of.

EDIT:  I took another look at our data, and confirmed that what you say is accurate to our observations.  What had been done for the sake of determine ranges was max heights rounded up to the next inch/ilm, and min heights rounded down rather than up.  As such, there is kind of a +/- 2" difference between minimums and maximums for the purposes of establishing an appropriate range difference between two character.

More exact numbers will come when the NDA is lifted and I'll be glad to "show all my work" as it were.  This chart is intended to be used as a guideline for what would be reasonable height ranges for characters.  It is not exact and rounds down on the low end and rounds up on the high end, but not drastically so.

EDITAGAIN:

TL;DR version - Heights were rounded up on the tall end and rounded down on the low end based on different comparisons - so the overall ranges will be a bit larger, which in turn means that comparisons between tallest of one race and shortest of another may be skewed - but not by much.

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Deirdre - 03-03-2013

I see what you're saying, but the top of Ban's head (and for measurements sake I suppose the models used should have the least puff in hairstyle, so as not to skew data) only just barely comes up to Deirdre's eyes. So I understand rounding but don't understand how such a difference can be answered with it.

Just an observation.

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Eva - 03-03-2013

Again, different metrics were used to calculate the tallest values for a race than what was used for the lowest.  Moreover, the rounding up at the tall end and rounding down at the low end added a bit.  We do have more accurate numbers and they do match more closely to what you experienced, however we broadened the ranges by what we figured was maybe an inch at each end, which we felt was reasonable.

When NDA lifts I can post a much more accurate representation of things, but for right now it's not worth the risk and I have no desire to violate S-E's terms.

This chart is intended to be used as a guideline for an individual character to determine his or her approximate height based on those observations.  It was not intended to be used as a metric to compare between two different races.  I'm sorry for any confusion in that regard.

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Nel Celestine - 06-15-2013

Necro Bump since NDA is lifted

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Eva - 06-16-2013

Thanks Nel.  I'll post some specific information later as I'm on my way out the door to my parents' for Father's Day.

The screenshots used came from Phase 1 Beta, so according to the NDA I cannot post those.  From using the character creator extensively I pretty firmly believe that the values for "Shortest", "Average" and "Tallest" correspond with height slider values of 0, 50, and 100 - but I can't really confirm this yet.  We will probably take a closer look at this with the next beta window.

I do have some specific numbers and information to post when I get back, and these ought to help outline our conclusions in greater detail.

In the meantime, Selene was kind enough to create a more helpful chart (which I'm adding to the original post as well) which illustrates the variations.

[Image: bB114BT.jpg]

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Aeiteil Strand - 06-16-2013

That is very helpful so thank you Eva!

It makes me smile that I have to look down at the little people so much as a Reog Tongue

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Aysun - 06-16-2013

(06-16-2013, 11:28 AM)Fire Olive Wrote: That is very helpful so thank you Eva!

It makes me smile that I have to look down at the little people so much as a Reog Tongue

I was basically staring at a Roeg woman's stomach yesterday when she stood before me.. and she wasn't even on "tallest" setting.

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - sugarfrosted - 06-17-2013

Elezens are also quite tall as I found many to be around the same height as my Roegadyn

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Gerik - 06-17-2013

(06-17-2013, 01:28 AM)sugarfrosted Wrote: Elezens are also quite tall as I found many to be around the same height as my Roegadyn

Yeah, the males are tall fuckers lol

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - CassandraJean - 06-17-2013

oooh, man that height chart will be very helpful while drawing. Thanks for making and posting it!