Hydaelyn Role-Players
Character Heights: Some Observations - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Character Heights: Some Observations (/showthread.php?tid=1737)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Myllor - 08-01-2013

(08-01-2013, 04:27 AM)Shippuu Wrote: Within the new benchmark character creator, heights are now shown in a numerical inches value as well as the 0-100 scale. Should probably edit the first post to update these Tongue

I've gone and converted the values to feet.

Male:
Elezen-  6'2"- 6'9"
Highlander- 6' - 6'6"
Midlander- 5'5" - 5'10"
Roegadyn- 7' - 7'6"
Miqote- 5'2" - 5'7"
Lalafell- 2'8" - 3'2"

Female:
Elezen- 6' - 6'5"
Highlander- 5'7" - 6'1"
Midlander- 5'2" - 5'6"
Roegadyn- 6'3" - 7'3"
Miqote- 4'9" - 5'4"
Lalafell- 2'8" - 3'2"
That's strange, I got some completely different figures on the same benchmark client (I hope?)...

Male Roegadyn         7'0.1"    7'3.4"    7'6.7"
Female Roegadyn     6'3.6"    6'9.6"    7'3.7"
Male Elezen              6'4.4"    6'7.5"    6'10.2"
Female Elezen          6'0.2"    6'3.2"    6'6.1"   
Male Highlander        6'0.2"    6'3.8"    6'6.8"
Female Highlander    5'6.2"     5'11"     6'1.8"
Male Midlander         5'6.1"     5'8.9"    5'11.6"
Female Midlander     5'2"        5'4.5"    5'7.1"
Male Miqo'te            5'2.7"     5'5.4"    5'8.2"
Female Miqo'te        4'10.9"    5'1.4"    5'3.8"
Male Lalafell             2'10.2"    3'0.2"    3'2.2"
Female Lalafell          2'10.2"    3'0.2"    3'2.2"

(Blah had them seperated by tabs, and they won't line up, but w/e OCD)

I didn't round the inches, but even so I noticed some oddities.

Edit: I think it might be that you divided the inches by 12, which would only be appropriate if inches to feet were 10:1. lol (in which case you would divide them by 10.... and it'd be... bah logic. You can't use a calculator, you've just got to know every 12 inches are a new foot, and add/subtract depending on how many inches you are from that foot...

tl;dr: 36 in = 3ft, 60 in = 5 ft, 72 in = 6 ft, 84 ini = 7ft. These numbers +/- the inch totals will get you accurate numbers)

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Folken - 08-01-2013

Edit: In retrospect I see the errors yeah. It's late and I'm tired lol.

Your list is the correct one.

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Myllor - 08-01-2013

(08-01-2013, 05:37 AM)Shippuu Wrote: Edit: In retrospect I see the errors yeah. It's late and I'm tired lol.

Your list is the correct one.
I agree with the late and tired.

I thought I'd kinda figured out why there was the differences, but I was being lazy and not checking them again. lol

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Aysun - 08-01-2013

I'm pretty stoked. We didn't do that badly with our guestimates, but yay SE for giving real numbers finally! Big Grin

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Sienna - 08-01-2013

Dangit. I just spent 30 mins doing this to find out Ship beat me to it. XD

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Sterne - 08-01-2013

Super cool and good work to all you guys.

Thank you! Smile

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Knave - 08-01-2013

Dang, there goes my RP idea of having a 3'2" Roegadyn!

I have a question in regards to the height and RP. Should characters adhere to these height measurements and not waiver above or below it's max range? If not, would people get funny stares if their character falls a couple of inches outside the range of the slider?

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Sienna - 08-01-2013

I'd not have an issue with them being a bit taller or shorter than the slider, so long as you do hit the cap on the slider's direction. Saying your 2 inches above max and having the slider to shortest is silly.

That said, if you want to make them a good several feet above or below the height that is normal for their genetics, I'd not be able to take it as seriously.

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Eva - 08-01-2013

(08-01-2013, 05:01 AM)Myllor Wrote: Male Roegadyn         7'0.1"    7'3.4"    7'6.7"
Female Roegadyn     6'3.6"    6'9.6"    7'3.7"
Male Elezen              6'4.4"    6'7.5"    6'10.2"
Female Elezen          6'0.2"    6'3.2"    6'6.1"    
Male Highlander        6'0.2"    6'3.8"    6'6.8"
Female Highlander    5'6.2"     5'11"     6'1.8"
Male Midlander         5'6.1"     5'8.9"    5'11.6"
Female Midlander     5'2"        5'4.5"    5'7.1"
Male Miqo'te            5'2.7"     5'5.4"    5'8.2"
Female Miqo'te        4'10.9"    5'1.4"    5'3.8"
Male Lalafell             2'10.2"    3'0.2"    3'2.2"
Female Lalafell          2'10.2"    3'0.2"    3'2.2"

Thanks!!  I have gone ahead and updated the OP to reflect the actual values derived from the game here, since this is going to be a better metric by which to gauge character heights!

(08-01-2013, 07:31 AM)Aysun Wrote: I'm pretty stoked. We didn't do that badly with our guestimates, but yay SE for giving real numbers finally! Big Grin

I agree!  It's nice to have game-supported values for this.  We came really close in our educated guesswork!  Thumbsup

(08-01-2013, 12:45 PM)Knave Wrote: I have a question in regards to the height and RP. Should characters adhere to these height measurements and not waiver above or below it's max range? If not, would people get funny stares if their character falls a couple of inches outside the range of the slider?

This may be a discussion for another thread and I know there have been some hurt feelings about some of the values [particularly with regard to miqo'te males not being taller].  My sense is that any RPer need not adhere to these ranges and I don't think there is any harm if one falls outside this range.  I think it's there to provide a guideline for what a sort of "normal range" for racial heights looks like.  If we look to male midlander heights as an example (5'6" to 6'0") similar to how a human male would appear, than obviously there are going to be people who fall outside of this average.  I think what we're seeing is a range where maybe 90+% of the race's population lands.  Going a few inches outside of that does not seem harmful.  Even going more than that is fine, but you might have to consider the implications of such.  An example might be Kareem Abdul-Jabbar who is 7'2" and would fall well outside such a range.  But some considerations for such a drastic outlier might need to be made.  Other characters - depending on their backgrounds and personalities - might regard someone much taller or shorter than the range as freakish.  But a few inches in either direction I don't think should matter much if that is what a RPer is set upon.  Thumbsup

That's my view though.  I'd be a hypocrite to say otherwise since Eva doesn't exactly conform to certain other elezen standards.  But the guideline was always meant to be a helpful tool and not something to be seen as any sort of a hard range of acceptable character heights.

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Clover - 08-01-2013

I was scared for a moment, as I don't understand the inches system. Luckily for me, running the creator in Japanese comes with heights in cms.

I realize that my Miqo'te is very short *laughs*.

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - rynsan - 08-01-2013

It's a nice addition that SE added measuring units to character creator. Can't wait to get home and sirt my chaeacter. Big Grin

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - FreelanceWizard - 08-01-2013

Yeah, it's kind of weird that they don't offer an option for metric units for English. I mean, yeah, the US is probably the biggest market for that language, but I feel bad for everyone else who has to suffer over our dumb customary unit system. Smile

FWIW, to get height in meters, multiply feet by 12, add the inches, then multiply the whole thing by .0254 (about 1/40), 'cause 1 inch = 2.54 cm.

On the question of acceptable heights: as someone whose miqo'te is a little taller than the maximum, I think it's fine as long as you're at the right place on the slider for it. Since she's about 5' 5" (1.65m), I'm going to put her at 100 on the slider. If you wanted to be smaller than the minimum, go 0 on the slider. A few inches here or there is something no one will notice. Smile The problem comes in when you say you're a 3 foot tall miqo'te or a 10 foot tall hyur, of course.

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Ruby - 08-02-2013

(08-01-2013, 04:22 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: Yeah, it's kind of weird that they don't offer an option for metric units for English. I mean, yeah, the US is probably the biggest market for that language, but I feel bad for everyone else who has to suffer over our dumb customary unit system. Smile

FWIW, to get height in meters, multiply feet by 12, add the inches, then multiply the whole thing by .0254 (about 1/40), 'cause 1 inch = 2.54 cm.

On the question of acceptable heights: as someone whose miqo'te is a little taller than the maximum, I think it's fine as long as you're at the right place on the slider for it. Since she's about 5' 5" (1.65m), I'm going to put her at 100 on the slider. If you wanted to be smaller than the minimum, go 0 on the slider. A few inches here or there is something no one will notice. Smile The problem comes in when you say you're a 3 foot tall miqo'te or a 10 foot tall hyur, of course.

I always tend to use this site for my metric conversions. Makes it much easier. All you silly US people and the entire confusing 12 inch = 1 foot.

http://www.manuelsweb.com/ft_in_cm.htm

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - FreelanceWizard - 08-02-2013

Funny enough, you can also ask Bing or Google to do the conversions for you. Which, um, for someone lazy like me who doesn't want to bust out the calculator, is great. Smile

RE: Character Heights: Some Observations - Ruby - 08-02-2013

(08-02-2013, 08:30 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: Funny enough, you can also ask Bing or Google to do the conversions for you. Which, um, for someone lazy like me who doesn't want to bust out the calculator, is great. Smile

Well...I learned something new thanks to you haha~. This makes things even easier.