Hydaelyn Role-Players
Yo - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Yo (/showthread.php?tid=17380)

Yo - Kaito - 10-03-2016

Hey Everyone,

I've always been a lurker on these forums, several months back took a long break from the game and just recently got back online.  This time around I want to get more involved in the many aspects of the game as I have only ever done is pretty much level classes.  There has to be more to the game right?  RIGHT?

So yeah, figuring out my character all over again because I never really RP'd much prior to taking the break and then will be trying to find things to do that don't involve leveling.  I figure posting/getting involved here would be a good start so here I am.

RE: Yo - Faye - 10-03-2016

Hello there, welcome back to the game! Big Grin

RE: Yo - Kaito - 10-03-2016

Thanks!

A question to all those that pass by this thread - how do you prefer to flesh out a new character?  

In the past I've done just a basic outline then kinda thrown my character into some RP (kinda like throwing a kid who just learned how to doggie paddle into the deep end of the pool) and see what I end up with.

Just curious to hear what others do/have done.

RE: Yo - SicketySix - 10-03-2016

Welcome to the RPC!

And as far as your question goes, I like to give the character a general guideline of who/what I want them to be, and then do a few light RP scenes and see what happens with them.

I've found that a lot of times, how I end up RPing them is total opposite then I had originally planned. Funny how it works that way.

RE: Yo - Ayaka - 10-03-2016

(10-03-2016, 04:19 PM)Arsi Wrote: A question to all those that pass by this thread - how do you prefer to flesh out a new character? 
Hello hello! Big Grin Glad to see more lurkers post haha xD Makes me feel not lonely as a newbie in the forums xD <3

But as for your question... I don't know if it'll help since it's somewhat the same as your answers haha but I tend to put a few starting guidelines for my character so that I'll at least know basic information about her. And then hope and pray to all that is mighty that I could find people to RP with to develop her properly and get to know her more xD

I've always thought of character's bio to be always a WIP cos your character changes and you have to put that in it--Of course, changes that aren't drastic! Unless that needs to be done on your character or so--- ; u ;

RE: Yo - Kaito - 10-04-2016

Yeah I need to get to work on a Bio...

Sorry more questions for those that happen to see this thread.  

In the past, my best RP experiences has been in games that I got into at the beginning or near the beginning.  Obviously that's not the case with FFXIV, question being is, how do you guys go about trying to insert your character into an already ongoing and rather large RP community?

As odd as that question may be, I have never had to do it before.  In these other games I met people ICly through leveling (because we're all on the RP server and everyone is leveling and exploring the world as the game is new/newish).

RE: Yo - Gegenji - 10-04-2016

(10-03-2016, 04:19 PM)Arsi Wrote: A question to all those that pass by this thread - how do you prefer to flesh out a new character? 

I had made a note to myself to sit down and answer this when I had a moment earlier and completely blanked on it. I'm here now, though!

As for me, I made a general idea of the character based off what little I knew of the lore and what sort of character I felt I'd have fun with. Then, as per my own personal neuroses, I tend to muse on all sorts of little details - some important and some non - things like background, family members, reasons for being where they are, any unique abilities they might have (though I've had a few I thought up, later had explanations all thought up for, and later discarded as unnecessary for the character).

The greatest solidifying of the characters themselves, though, has come from actually RPing with them. I may have designed Chachan to be cheerful and friendly and want to make all the friends, but it was interactions with various people that made me realize his deep-down fear of loss and making the big choices and his penchant for becoming a worrywart. Figuring out Judge as "a character whose story is over" was in his base design, but how he went about it and how he acts in general in that regard was fleshed out through trial and error. Even things such as how Gogon acts when drunk was actually figured out through RP.

So, in short... it's good to have a base idea - and how deep you go into it is up to you - but some of the biggest discoveries and characterization moments will likely come just from how you have your character interact with others.

As for how you insert yourself? Just toss yourself in. You're a fresh-faced adventurer who just struck it out on his own, or perhaps you're someone who has been "around" but hasn't started making any sort of waves until now. There isn't some grand, overarching RP story going on. It's a bunch of people telling their own stories with each other. So it's pretty simple to add yourself into someone's tale as you start your own. Smile

RE: Yo - Ayaka - 10-04-2016

Like what Gegenji said, there are no rules when it comes to joining the RP world that is FF14 xD Though I suppose you just need to follow the basic lore so that you will be able to fit in nicely without any problems? :)

But ah, I believe there is an unspoken rule about how the Warrior of Light isn't us considering they have their own story, A.K.A our MSQ in-game? (I mean we could be mini WoL's with tiny echoes in us but yeah lol)

Other than that, yes, we're sharing our character's story with others and creating it with them as well as they go on and live in Eorza. :D

RE: Yo - Kaito - 10-04-2016

I RP'd a bit with my chocobo last night, it was completely one sided but at least it was a start? Big Grin

RE: Yo - Caleria Amih - 10-04-2016

Any start is a great start- the more you play the character, the more you'll learn about them, and the more they'll develop with exposure and use.   You might find things that would go great with your character idea, other things not so much- feel free to change things around! 

Read up on lore, read others' character sheets, read lots of other things, play through some public RP events, and find out your likes and dislikes.

Ideas can come from anywhere- I tend to keep a little notepad full of potential character ideas, and some days it's worth it to just brainstorm.

Never, ever, ever think one of your ideas is not worth your time- there aren't any stupid stories out there, just stories that are waiting for their time. 

Never be ashamed of doing the same type of storyline as someone else- everybody puts their own spin on every interaction- stories are like people: no two are ever exactly the same, and even the slightest difference can lead you off somewhere you've never expected.

All you have to do is get out there and play!