Hydaelyn Role-Players
Lore based RP and Free minded RP - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Lore based RP and Free minded RP (/showthread.php?tid=17437)

Lore based RP and Free minded RP - Ifrinne Calionne - 10-10-2016

I have scouted around this forum for a good couple hours (nothing to do while waiting for Ifrinne becomes 3 days old for transfer) but see a lot of lore bases things. Are there also ones here who do RP not strictly based on lore. Like they know it exists but dont really take much notice of it. Or even stray off lore's path.

RE: Lore based RP and Free minded RP - Verad - 10-10-2016

There's quite a few, but the board culture here is more staunchly lore-based, with a reliance on "It works for you but I personally wouldn't play with that character" as a response to workshopping concepts that stray too far.

Players with a looser relationship to the lore tend to be more decentralized. Tumblr has many of them if you're willing to put in the time and effort to search.

RE: Lore based RP and Free minded RP - Ifrinne Calionne - 10-10-2016

Nah i dont like to break the lore. But dont always let it play a major role in the RP. Just sometimes i try. When i RP i use lore kinda as a handbook. As a given known memory of the past and present. But usually no more.

RE: Lore based RP and Free minded RP - Unnamed Mercenary - 10-10-2016

Probably something good to note, but just because a large amount of the users are more or less lore-friendly, it doesn't mean the majority of players RP as a Warrior of Light / the Warrior of Light (depending on if we're going with 1.0's or 2.0's definition).

A fair amount of characters may be aware of what takes place in the Main Scenerio Quests, but it doesn't necessarily mean it affects them or they affect it. Or have any involvement in it. There are others who do RP within it though. It's a matter of personal taste and finding like-minded people.

RE: Lore based RP and Free minded RP - Melkire - 10-10-2016

I, for one, have an incredibly lore-breaking (I would argue lore-BENDING but that's another discussion entirely) character for an alt. I'm sure many regulars here have something they've roleplayed at some point or another that wasn't, strictly speaking, lore-compliant.

The attitude on these forums and the responses you see are more lore-adherent due to, in no small part, how most folk phrase their questions regarding their concepts. Too often they ask the question "is this in keeping with lore?" and the answer they get is a firm, staunch "no". Instead, they might have asked, "would this spin or take on lore interest you as a concept to encounter in RP" or perhaps "how could I explain this as-yet unseen concept in a way that lore fanatics will find acceptable?" Then, I'm sure, the direction and tone of workshopping would take a dramatically different course.

In short, this community takes lore as a universal standard. Not everyone will accept 14 century doubloons. But just about everyone will be happy to have some USD.

The trick lies in finding the folks interested in the currency you deal.

RE: Lore based RP and Free minded RP - AlionLucada - 10-10-2016

If I find someone whose character bends or breaks the lore my characters will either call them liars, assuming them to be full of shit or crazy, or if they take it too far I just ignore them. A good RPer can work within the boundaries of the setting.

RE: Lore based RP and Free minded RP - Valence - 10-11-2016

People can eventually do as they please. It's not a single entity of community forced to play with everyone where people not complying is harming the community in any direct way (unlike on games like eve online). You can do whatever you like in your own bubbles, without interacting with the bubbles of others.

A lot of people try to be lore compliant because it's the best bet to be accepted into the widest range of RP. People that break or bend the lore don't generally mind people that are lore compliant. The other way around though...

I have actually also seen threads asking "Would that spin on things be interesting to you?". Half of the answers were "sure, go for it if you like it!", and the rest "do whatever you want but I'm not gonna RP with you". It only serves to illustrate the point further.

Then again, I'm glad the community is like this, even if I wish the actual wish to play more with the lore and fluff than just using the lore as boundaries not to break was more real, people are not being lore ayatollahs by shitting on others constantly and being toxic edgelords, and are yet attached enough to the lore so that the community doesn't turn into everything but... FFXIV.

RE: Lore based RP and Free minded RP - Ifrinne Calionne - 10-11-2016

Such different opinions. Really. That means... theres RP for everyone. Lore based or not. Which is good. I think using that lore only as boundaries gives room for creativity and fantasy. Where in the end RP comes down to. ;3 but kinda curious to see how the ones who abandon the lore play.

RE: Lore based RP and Free minded RP - AlionLucada - 10-11-2016

I remember early on there was a group of people who RP'd that they were their characters stuck inside an MMORPG. Needless to say, I ended up ignoring them. (Not literally with the ignore feature, but I sure as hell didn't RP with them.)

RE: Lore based RP and Free minded RP - Gegenji - 10-11-2016

(10-11-2016, 03:50 AM)Valence Wrote: A lot of people try to be lore compliant because it's the best bet to be accepted into the widest range of RP. People that break or bend the lore don't generally mind people that are lore compliant. The other way around though...

I have actually also seen threads asking "Would that spin on things be interesting to you?". Half of the answers were "sure, go for it if you like it!", and the rest "do whatever you want but I'm not gonna RP with you". It only serves to illustrate the point further.

That basically sums things up. Most folks try to stick to what is presented in lore for the greatest RP opportunities. However, unless you're playing something horribly outlandish (and perhaps even if you are!), you will likely find at least a couple people willing to RP with you. That potential number just increases with the more "reasonable" your character is.

That said, there is a lot of grey area to play around with and an interesting character concept (or just a bog-standard one presented well) will still get some degree of attention. And this is coming from someone who plays a giant, elderly armored FFTA-inspired Judgemaster who is always on a horse and TALKS LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME. And he is still taken seriously to some degree by a decent number of people. So, your mileage may vary.

RE: Lore based RP and Free minded RP - SicketySix - 10-11-2016

I once was involved with an Au Ra female Dragoon from Ishgard who possessed her own dragon's eye, who was birthed by a dragon and lived with them high above the clouds in a massive tower.

Was the concept interesting? Sure was. Did my character believe her for a second? Nope. Did my character think she was crazy? Yes. Was the RP still fun. Yes.

So even with RP that is so far out of lore, it's still entirely possible to have some fun RP with them. Like the roleplayers who roll MSQ characters. Do my characters for once think they are those people? Nope. Just crazy obsessed fans, like the real life girl who had all those surgeries done to look like Barbie.