Hydaelyn Role-Players
Fiction Thread (Books, Games, Whatever) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Fiction Thread (Books, Games, Whatever) (/showthread.php?tid=17601)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Fiction Thread (Books, Games, Whatever) - Cygnus - 02-23-2017

Hogfather by Terry Pratchett is without question my favorite book, it's gotten me through the worst times in my life. Sometimes you just need to laugh.

This is on of the silly but great quotes. 

IT'S THE EXPRESSION ON THEIR LITTLE FACES I LIKE, said the Hogfather. 
"You mean sort of fear and awe and not knowing whether to laugh or cry or wet their pants?" 
YES. NOW THAT IS WHAT I CALL BELIEF.

I actually felt sad when I heard Pratchett died last year. That man brought me so much joy.

RE: Fiction Thread (Books, Games, Whatever) - Parvacake - 02-27-2017

[youtube]1JG6f5_37tg[/youtube]

IS IT MARCH YET?

RE: Fiction Thread (Books, Games, Whatever) - Faye - 02-27-2017

(10-28-2016, 12:38 PM)Parvacake Wrote: J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood Series

I haven't read all this series yet, but it's great. I love vampire smut and I have no shame.

RE: Fiction Thread (Books, Games, Whatever) - Val - 02-27-2017

I'm a pretty big Dresden Files fan :v mostly because it's like a more adult Harry Potter, imo, with a lot of pop culture references. I met the author, Jim Butcher, at Dragoncon last year. He's a pretty cool dude.

I've read all of the Witcher books because I'm a nerd, and they're pretty good too if you're into it.

Lately I've been reading The Kingkiller Chronicles (Name of the Wind, Wise Man's Fear) and they've been pretty good too Big Grin

RE: Fiction Thread (Books, Games, Whatever) - Parvacake - 02-27-2017

(02-27-2017, 08:04 PM)Faye Wrote:
(10-28-2016, 12:38 PM)Parvacake Wrote: J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood Series

I haven't read all this series yet, but it's great. I love vampire smut and I have no shame.
I love how it has great smut but also a great story and character development. It's not all flat and just...eeeeee!

RE: Fiction Thread (Books, Games, Whatever) - Sylentmana - 02-28-2017

I've mostly been reading old D&D novels. I just finished The Ring of Winter and I'm about to start the Dragonlance Chronicles original trilogy.

RE: Fiction Thread (Books, Games, Whatever) - Warren Castille - 03-01-2017

I've heard good things about Kingkiller and intend on checking that out, but I just accidentally-on-purpose ordered the entire rest of the Cosmere set (that's printed) so I've got a lot of Sanderson on my plate in the coming weeks and months.

I did get a chance to devour Ready Player One and I was really conflicted on how I enjoyed it: Namely, I couldn't tell if I did or not. The premise and world-building were neat, but the fucking writing kept getting in the way of the story. Not to mention the ultra-liberal soapboxes that were stood on at both the beginning and towards the end.

In my downtime I read the very end of House of Leaves again, and I can say it's the only book in memory that has hurt me on a deeply emotional level.

RE: Fiction Thread (Books, Games, Whatever) - Val - 03-02-2017

(03-01-2017, 09:20 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: I've heard good things about Kingkiller and intend on checking that out,

Kingkiller is pretty good so far. I think I enjoy the first novel a lot more than the second for whatever reason. The second seems to be a bit slower? I'm nearing the end and I just don't think I'm nearly as interested in it as I was the first. With the first, I read nightly (with a hedgie pal) and finished it pretty quickly. This one I tend to read every other night or so and I'm not nearly as intent on finishing it off.

RE: Fiction Thread (Books, Games, Whatever) - EliBallard - 03-06-2017

Someone recommended the Malazan series of books to me so I grabbed one when at a Half-Price Books recently, eager to dive into it, I haven't really read anything in years.

RE: Fiction Thread (Books, Games, Whatever) - Orlog - 03-06-2017

I've been slowly (and I mean fucking slowly) working my way through Leviathan's Wake by James S.A. Corey, and it's been one of my favorite books in a long time.

I'd say it's nior detective story meets political space drama. The writer has a real flair for writing out things believably even down to stupid things that you honestly wouldn't think twice about. For example, there's this bit about how Belters (those being the people who work/live on an asteroid belt) tend to have their own physical idioms, due to the need to be able to communicate while wearing space suits. It's simple, but I'm glad for the attention to detail.

...Also, apparently it's a TV show now? Damn, I am out of the loop.

Quote:“When Miller had started working homicide, one of the things that had struck him was the surreal calm of the victims’ families. People who had just lost wives, husbands, children, and lovers. People whose lives had just been branded by violence. More often than not, they were calmly offering drinks and answering questions, making the detectives feel welcome. A civilian coming in unaware might have mistaken them for whole. It was only in the careful way they held themselves and the extra quarter second it took their eyes to focus that Miller could see how deep the damage was.”

Quote:"The circle of life on Ceres was so small you could see the curve."

RE: Fiction Thread (Books, Games, Whatever) - Warren Castille - 03-18-2017

Really dug Warbreaker.

Can't wait for Oathbringer.

Working on Elantris now.

RE: Fiction Thread (Books, Games, Whatever) - Pascaleret - 03-21-2017

Tor is giving out free ebook copies of The Way of Kings on Thursday and Friday if anyone is interested.

RE: Fiction Thread (Books, Games, Whatever) - Warren Castille - 03-29-2017

(10-28-2016, 12:38 PM)Invisible User(s) Wrote:
(10-27-2016, 09:14 PM)Goren Ghastille Wrote: I just started the Stormlight Archives. My last run with Brandon Sanderson was when I mainlined the entire Wheel of Time series over the course of six months. I like it so far, but I don't want to have to wait thirty years for a conclusion.
Brian Sanderson writes like a crazy person, don't worry. He poops out books like... poops. 

I highly recommend his Mistborn Series. The newer set of tales is better, but the original is still good. The books are set about 500 years apart in the same universe, and I enjoy how the complexity of the themes increases as well technology. The original mistborn trilogy is more of a creation mythology (Literally, even) and deals with simple themes like good versus evil, the corruption of power, and balance. 

The new ones (set in a comparable time period to late 1800s america) deal with less epic but more nuanced issues like the meaning of justice, order, and class struggle. 

In any case, some company just dropped 270 million to make movies from his books. So I think everyone is going to be seeing a lot more Sanderson.

I FINISHED THE CURRENTLY-LAST MISTBORN BOOK TODAY

THIS IS ALL EXCEEDINGLY ACCURATE

THE FINALE WON'T COME UNTIL AFTER OATHBRINGER, WHICH WON'T DROP UNTIL FALL

IS IT 2018 YET

/hype

RE: Fiction Thread (Books, Games, Whatever) - McBeefâ„¢ - 04-28-2017

(03-29-2017, 04:01 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: I FINISHED THE CURRENTLY-LAST MISTBORN BOOK TODAY

THIS IS ALL EXCEEDINGLY ACCURATE

THE FINALE WON'T COME UNTIL AFTER OATHBRINGER, WHICH WON'T DROP UNTIL FALL

IS IT 2018 YET

/hype

WOOOOOO Yeah!

I love him. Here are a few other things I've read recently that I think are good!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24876258-the-aeronaut-s-windlass  I hesitate to call this steampunk, as steampunk is lame. It's more of a final fantasy type magical technology world. There are talking cats!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33369873-forging-hephaestus  Is amazing. I think Anti-Heroes and villanous protagonists are going to be showing up more and more. People irl think the system is fucked up, and we like those who rebel against it. Anyway it's a super hero story about a girl who gets apprenticed to the most notorious super-villain on the planet. It's awesome.

https://parahumans.wordpress.com/  Another super hero story, this one a web serial of a girl who wants to be a hero but finds herself becoming the villain. It's free and complete and if anyone reads it please tell me what you think because I LOVE IT!

(03-06-2017, 02:15 AM)Orlog Wrote: I've been slowly (and I mean fucking slowly) working my way through Leviathan's Wake by James S.A. Corey, and it's been one of my favorite books in a long time.

I just finished this recently as well and I loved it. I watched the TV show as well, but I feel like the book does a better job thematically. The TV show has more drama, and is more exciting, but it also cheapens it.

Oh, and I'm playing tales of Berseria, which is awesome. It's another villainous protagonist plot. You play as Velvet Crowe, the angriest woman in the world, and everyone should try it if they like JRPGS.

[Image: i0ja83k.jpg]