Hydaelyn Role-Players
Dragon's Brew [closed] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Dragon's Brew [closed] (/showthread.php?tid=17620)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Dragon's Brew [closed] - Brightborn - 11-01-2016

Tani winced, and covered it by rubbing at her face.  Her hand then migrated to her earlobe, which she plucked at absentmindedly.  "Ahh, something about ... disemboweling and blood and death being part of your hobbies, or some such."

RE: Dragon's Brew [closed] - Dieu-le-veut - 11-01-2016

Isabelle was thoughtfully quiet. She spoke simply. "Yes." The elezen would turn to Tani as she continued, "Because I knew none would ask why." She would sip the last bit of her tea before setting the cup down and holding the Ahriman pot in her hands.

"There is no life without death." Isabelle almost seemed as if she were talking to herself, though her words were directed at Tani. "Just like during the mission. Death is the cost of Life. His death was the cost of thy life. Thine death was the price of his life." She would look at Tani, "I chose thine life over his. The blood price. It is worth it... for.." Isabelle hesitated a moment before finishing, "For.. a.. a.."

It was almost easy for Tani to see the mental mask that Isabelle covered herself with now that she had seen the elezen vulnerable with her guard down. Her words were almost a little sad as she spoke, ".. for a.. comrade." It wasn't difficult to see that she saw Tani as a friend but was far too walled up within herself to openly admit it.

RE: Dragon's Brew [closed] - Brightborn - 11-02-2016

The room was suddenly very interesting.  Tani let her eyes wander as Isabelle spoke, all the awkwardness bled from her -- bled from both of them -- and replaced with something far less easy.  Worse.  It was worse.  And what was there to be done?   

What was always done.

"I'll ask why, then," she said, because the price was too high to acknowledge what else Isabelle had said.

Or she was too much a coward.

RE: Dragon's Brew [closed] - Dieu-le-veut - 11-02-2016

Isabelle smiled a little as she tenderly touched the petals of the flower in the ahriman pot. Her eyes wandered to the details of the pot in her hands and replied to the complex question in simple words, "Tis an easy choice. Thine life holds more value than scum." 

She would glance at Tani curiously from the corner of her eyes, "Should Nymeia deem it otherwise, then there is nothing I could have done with mine hand but.. I would have gladly paid thine price too for thy life."

It wasn't what she'd meant.  Given the context of their conversation, Tani could even understand why, but it didn't make her reaction any easier.  She studied the details of the room, the contrast between hard and soft; danger and comfort.  Anger flared.  It surprised her.  She hadn't expected it, especially not before Isabelle, in her rooms, Tani as her guest.  It wasn't an appropriate response, but she gave into it anyways, because it was easier.  Because it was known to her, and she knew what to do with it.

She was a coward.

"I shouldn't have been there," she said, a new and cool edge to her tone.  She was embarrassing herself, and later she would pay for it with shame and regret.  But right then? She didn't care.

Isabelle watched Tani curiously. Her features softened as she let her guard down again. The elezen couldn't help but smile a little at Tani's anger. She understood. It takes many to walk the paths of life. Isabelle tried to be as comforting as she could.. as best as she could. She had been in the same position once a very, very long time ago.

"Thou hads't e'ery right to be there."

But of course, she had to ask. Isabelle's voice was soft and daresay, compassionate, "Why art thou still trying to prove thine worth to thineself when it is quite clear to us that thou art irreplaceable?"

It was always easy to ignore the things she didn't wish to respond to.  Tani chose not to hear it, to not remember it.  She wanted to argue.

"No," she said, and the edge in her voice grew sharp.  "I am a bookkeeper, not a warrior, and not some gods-forsaken infiltrator.  I had no business being there, and I should have known as much.  I should have said as much."

The fire was suddenly unfriendly.  She turned her face away from it, closed her eyes too long for a blink, and opened them on Isabelle.  Tani's eyes weren't friendly, either.

Isabelle seemed immune to Tani's anger. Her turquoise eyes simply met the accountant's gaze. The elezen saw deeper things. Deeper troubles. Deeper insecurities. She wanted to help but.. such things were not her strong point. Not in this guise. Not in this place. Not with this... name nor the mask associated with it.

She would do the first thing she could think of.

"Thou needs a hug. Maybe.. a moment to let thine tears flow from thine frustrations. I know tis nay a thing best from me but.. I will nay tell a soul."

Tani stood abruptly, setting her tea down on the tray.  "Thank you for humoring me," she said, adjusting her gloves and not quite looking at Isabelle.  "I'd best get back to work.  Please, enjoy the tea.  I'll return later to collect the dishes."

She turned to leave.

Isabelle leaned over and touched Tani's hand before she could get too far.

"Tani.."

Shit.. she froze for a moment. The same thoughts exploded through Isabelle's mind as had been when she was tense earlier.

Don't panic. Be smooth. Don't be threatening. Don't break shit.. Don't be weird.

"Please.. Stay."

... Failed.

Tani snatched her hand away from Isabelle, whirling back to the other woman, her face flushing.  She was visibly angry, visibly cold in that anger.  "Why?"

"Thou can take thine anger out on me instead of thineself."

Failed again.. Stop being weird. You're not helping.

Isabelle had a determined look upon her face though. She'd gesture to Tani.

"I will nay strike back. None shall even know. I always wear mine armor anyway."

She waited. Isabelle's gaze only reflected Tani's own anger back at her as if daring the girl to be brave. 

Be brave just one more time. Fight your fate and strike me. 
Do it.. Prove yourself wrong.

"Why do you always cover your face?"  Controlled.  Tani wanted to be mean.

Isabelle smirked, "Thou shalt have to work a bit harder to find out."

She would move into position and tap her chest, "Art thou trying to change subject? Convince me that thou wishes to know why I always wear a mask."

The half-mask almost seemed like a good and easy target to snatch.... almost.

"If you aren't willing to give, then neither am I."

Tani didn't reach out.  She stood, hands fisted at her sides, and stared with her chin lifted.