Hydaelyn Role-Players
RPing Important NPC's? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: RPing Important NPC's? (/showthread.php?tid=17780)

RPing Important NPC's? - Reylin - 11-23-2016

Howdy!

I'm newish to FF14, but not Final Fantasy or Roleplay itself.  So, learning lore, and mechanics and, largely, passing time while working, I've been listening to podcasts.  One of them is Musecast XIV with Remix Sakura and Emi.  It's fun, and goofy, and I like their energy but one thing they've talked of and actually do on their server, is RP as the NPC Nanamo and the Admiral Merlwyb, along with their own creations.

So, this did kind of take me aback a bit in surprise.  As long as I've been RPing in MMO's, from EQ1, to SWG, or MxO or EQ2 and pretty much everything, RPing as a main character was always sort of taboo. 

Now, let me say here, I don't care myself if they do and the people around them accept it, kudos to them.  If it doesn't jive, I just don't have to RP with such a thing.

My question really comes from not knowing the RP community of FF14 very well yet.  Is this something that is more widely excepted here than any where else I've RPed?  What gives one player the "right" (I don't know a better word, privilege maybe?) to play such important things over another?  Or if someone else decided too play them as well?

I love the girls podcast and they are a lot of fun as are many others.  Love the RP in FF14 and see myself staying for a good while.  I'm mostly just curious and wonder what others take on this is.

Cheers!

RE: RPing Important NPC's? - Kage - 11-23-2016

Your thoughts are pretty much along the same as most. People won't harass them but will try their best to ignore or have their characters believe they're imposters etc.

RE: RPing Important NPC's? - Nodem - 11-23-2016

This isn't the first time this has been brought up. Here's a link to the other forum post on this topic.

Just in case you wished for a general idea on how people feel about the subject.

RE: RPing Important NPC's? - Kilieit - 11-23-2016

Haha, my post on the first page of the topic Nodem linked to is still more or less how I feel about it... xD;;

RE: RPing Important NPC's? - Jana - 11-23-2016

Chances are that if these people aren't on Balmung, they're either RPing with just each other or with a small group of friends, so there isn't even enough room for us to care about it.

RE: RPing Important NPC's? - Reylin - 11-23-2016

They aren't on Balmung, which probably does make it easier.  Thanks for the link to the other thread!  I just wanted to make sure I wasn't suddenly out of touch with how RP has changed in other games over the years.  I've spend a large chunk in EQ2 and know little things change community to community but that was a rather large one.

RE: RPing Important NPC's? - ExAtomos - 11-25-2016

They are definitely on Balmung. Nanamo was in my FC until recently and is one of the sweetest people I've met in game. I've seen every one of the Hildibrand npcs on this server as well as Yellow Moon, The Aesthetician, some of the Scions, and the lalafell WHM from the WoD whose name I've forgotten. Some FCs specifically welcome those who play as npcs. It's not my cup of tea personally but, if they have fun and don't troll, it doesn't bother me. (I think I said as much on the other thread too.)

eta: For the most part, folks aren't keen to see NPCs being played in this game.