Hydaelyn Role-Players
Feasible Ala Mhigan Races? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Feasible Ala Mhigan Races? (/showthread.php?tid=17843)

Feasible Ala Mhigan Races? - Nicholai - 12-05-2016

Hello everyone! There's something I wanted to have cleared up, but, before I do, I would like to make it known that I haven't bought/read the lorebook yet, nor have I played FFXIV 1.0. So, I'm gonna be asking in earnest.

With that out of the way, I know it's typical for Ala Mhigans to be Highlanders. However, is it possible for any other races to claim to have been an inhabitant of Ala Mhigo? I ask this mainly for the sake of Midlanders, but also for other races like the Miqo'te.

I was doing some research into Gladiator lore some time ago when I stumbled upon the name of an Ala Mhigan who fought on the Bloodsands in an effort to use their winnings to help fund the Ala Mhigan Resistance. Their name was J'moldva the Hellfire Phoenix. Now, again, I haven't played 1.0, and this sounds like content that's gone over during the Gladiators' quests in that version, but, while reading over the lore, I couldn't help notice that J'moldva sounds like a Miqo'te name if we go by race naming conventions. Is this just a coincidence?

If not, then is it possible there are other races native to Ala Mhigo besides Highlanders?

Discuss!

RE: Feasible Ala Mhigan Races? - Maril - 12-05-2016

According to the lore book in my lap:
Racial Distrubution: Highlander Hyur: 60 %, Hellsguard Roegadyn: 10%, Midlander Hyur: 10%, Seeker of the Sun Miqote: 10%, Other: 10%

So yes, there was definitely a presence of the other races in Ala Mhigo. There's also several people here on the RPC that roleplays Miqo'te's with such a background, and it's certainly an interesting starting point I think. Go for it Smile

RE: Feasible Ala Mhigan Races? - Virella - 12-05-2016

Sounsyy had a very good post on this a while back.

Tl;dr version - Anything but the Au ra.

RE: Feasible Ala Mhigan Races? - Sounsyy - 12-05-2016

(12-05-2016, 03:01 AM)Nicholai Wrote: If not, then is it possible there are other races native to Ala Mhigo besides Highlanders?

Very possible! While the majority of Ala Mhigo's former population was Highlander and the many tribes were united under Highlander rule, many other races have called Ala Mhigo home. Lore book expounds upon Ala Mhigo being a major gateway to trade with the east before Ul'dah and Limsa capitalized on maritime trade. Lots of opportunity for other races to settle in.

Here's some links you might find helpful:

-Ala Mhigan Lore Compilation
-Ala Mhigan Racial Distribution
-Ala Mhigan NPC List

RE: Feasible Ala Mhigan Races? - Seriphyn - 12-05-2016

(12-05-2016, 04:07 AM)Virella Wrote: Sounsyy had a very good post on this a while back.

Ah god waiting for the Au Ra Ala Mhigans...they're the new "Magical Miqo'te".

Even though Ala Mhigo is 40% non-Highlander, definitely seems to be a Highlander-driven culture, similar to Ishgard and the Elezen. I'd argue they are the primary race, and that non-Highlanders occupy an assimilated minority status (e.g. Keepers in the traditionally Hyur/Elezen Gridania). We won't really know until Stormblood anyway.

RE: Feasible Ala Mhigan Races? - Gegenji - 12-05-2016

(12-05-2016, 01:13 PM)Seriphyn Wrote:
(12-05-2016, 04:07 AM)Virella Wrote: Sounsyy had a very good post on this a while back.

Ah god waiting for the Au Ra Ala Mhigans...they're the new "Magical Miqo'te".
The proper term is just "Au Ra Mhigans." Tongue