Hydaelyn Role-Players
Veteran RPer, New to FFXIV. Social Barriers? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Veteran RPer, New to FFXIV. Social Barriers? (/showthread.php?tid=17900)

Veteran RPer, New to FFXIV. Social Barriers? - AshJur - 12-13-2016

Hello!

Recently I quit playing World of Warcraft after having played the game for around seven years, but more importantly role-playing there for about three years. I just found FFXIV as a base game to be much more enjoyable and decided to RP here on Balmung too. Recently found the RPC which has been a great help for finding events going on but that brings me onto the main point.

I've found the community in a general sense to be kind, supportive and welcoming which I really dig. Yet, unfortunately I've started to come across a very 'clique' feeling when approaching players. Now don't get me wrong, WoW had it's fair shares of closed groups but not on the scale I have been subjected to. I'm talking about people outright ignoring my character and continuing conversations with other people, merchants and bartenders blanking me in favour of serving people they know and entire free companies not interacting with me in favour of their own closed universe or some such. My take on it is imagining visiting, say, your friend's house party say and having one of their mates come strike up a chat with you, only for you to pretend they don't exist? Barmy.

( I feel like I should add that these problems have not been caused by people missing messages in the chat box ! )

I've joined a Free Company myself but golly I don't want to only do RP with them for the rest of my days, no matter how lovely they all are. Question is; what can be done to find more open Role-players? Are there any good Linkshells that aren't in-active and dead?

Or alternatively I'd love to hear from any fellow Europeans or any Americans ( I stay up late ) on the Balmung server that could give me a starting boost and come hang out!

RE: Veteran RPer, New to FFXIV. Social Barriers? - Yandros - 12-13-2016

Hello there!

First of all, welcome to the game and to the RPC!  You will find that folks here are actually rather friendly overall.  And by posting the fact that you have had some issues in finding rp?  Expect to have more than a few offers to fix that problem.

I would suggest looking into the Events listings here, as there are bound to be some for the holidays.  In addition, there are some long standing ones, such as Grindstone (I think that is the name?  I always forget).

Also, look into visiting the Quicksand in Ul'dah.  It is hit or miss, but that is just the nature of tavern rp as a whole.

Concerning the clique feeling, I get you.  It can be really hard at times, but you are not the only one to be having the issue.  I can just say to keep your chin up, and power through.  You have already made a big step in finding a good FC, so I am certain things will start to line up for you.  Oh!  Also, check to see if there are any LS's that are rp orientated.  Might be another good place to look.

RE: Veteran RPer, New to FFXIV. Social Barriers? - AshJur - 12-13-2016

Thanks for the reply!

In regards to what you've said I actually have done most of this already. Unfortunately most of my experience from being feeling 'cast out' in social environments have been from Role-Play events I have found through the forums. I've had a couple of good times with places such as the Sunny Seaside Bar and the Neverfar's Tavern, but on a whole RPers can be quite un-approachable. I don't believe it's me -- although that is a possibility -- as I'm a rather confident if not boisterous go-getter so conversation starters aren't a huge issue.

As for the Quicksand... Well, the three times I've stuck my head through the door I had more than a few players straight up ask for a raunchy shag so I've been turned off of that area. Although I could have just been there at the wrong time.

I'll keep chugging along like you said, all aboard the RP train!

RE: Veteran RPer, New to FFXIV. Social Barriers? - Thunderbolt300 - 12-14-2016

There's no getting off this train we're on! Welcome aboard the RPC! Thumbsup

I am one of those folks with the adamant belief that a well-connected community is a strong community. The fewer silos there are, and the more bridges that are built, and the more people collaborate openly and move to include one another in any manner they can, the more the entire community becomes greater than the sum of its parts. There will always, sadly, be cliques and silos though. The trick is only to keep pushing as hard as you can, keep building bridges, and never sit still. Even if the success rate is only 20%, it's still worth it. 

Now, philosophy aside... 

What sort of linkshells are you looking for? What would you like to find? Can you tell us anything about your character(s)? You can also toss up a Making Connections post as well and cast your net farther and wider, but either way, toss me a few bones here! If your character is Miqo'te, I got a few places I can point you right out, and even then, some of those work for other characters too. 

If nothing else, you can always run into Kasi sometime!

RE: Veteran RPer, New to FFXIV. Social Barriers? - Faye - 12-14-2016

Hello there, welcome to the RPC! Smile I don't want to parrot what the others said too much since they gave some good advice, but I will echo that the Making Connections section here on the forums is great, whether you just want to find some general RP pals or fill a certain role in your character's story!

RE: Veteran RPer, New to FFXIV. Social Barriers? - AshJur - 12-14-2016

(12-14-2016, 01:27 AM)Thunderbolt300 Wrote: What sort of linkshells are you looking for? What would you like to find? Can you tell us anything about your character(s)? You can also toss up a Making Connections post as well and cast your net farther and wider, but either way, toss me a few bones here! If your character is Miqo'te, I got a few places I can point you right out, and even then, some of those work for other characters too. 

Well I've not been playing the game more than two months so honestly I'm a little asconce when it comes to what I'm looking for. Ideally I'd like a Linkshell that is just active and social, one that habitually has members involved with open RP. 

As for my character, she is a Miqo'te Keeper, former experience training under a merchant but now casting her sights out on the world at large as an adventurer/odd-jobs taker. Pretty simple stuff. 

I'll get around to making a Connections post too, sounds like a good place to start. I just want to meet some cool people and ideally provide some hosted events we can do. I am a dab hand at creative writing!

RE: Veteran RPer, New to FFXIV. Social Barriers? - Virella - 12-14-2016

(12-14-2016, 10:37 AM)AshJur Wrote:
(12-14-2016, 01:27 AM)Thunderbolt300 Wrote: What sort of linkshells are you looking for? What would you like to find? Can you tell us anything about your character(s)? You can also toss up a Making Connections post as well and cast your net farther and wider, but either way, toss me a few bones here! If your character is Miqo'te, I got a few places I can point you right out, and even then, some of those work for other characters too. 

Well I've not been playing the game more than two months so honestly I'm a little asconce when it comes to what I'm looking for. Ideally I'd like a Linkshell that is just active and social, one that habitually has members involved with open RP. 

As for my character, she is a Miqo'te Keeper, former experience training under a merchant but now casting her sights out on the world at large as an adventurer/odd-jobs taker. Pretty simple stuff. 

I'll get around to making a Connections post too, sounds like a good place to start. I just want to meet some cool people and ideally provide some hosted events we can do. I am a dab hand at creative writing!
Connections past is a very good start! That's how I started here back in... 2.2 as well, and have RP partners from that time still lasting.

But! As a fellow merchant RPer (on an alt), I'd strongly suggest to join the monthly Sea Breeze Bazaar (link).

When I'm there with my little Alchemist, I'm basically roleplaying non-stop for three hours straight. It also still starts at an reasonable ISH time (22:00 it starts till 1:00 but you can of course always leave earlier) for EU folk still. So there's plenty of roleplay to be had there, and contacts to be made!

RE: Veteran RPer, New to FFXIV. Social Barriers? - AshJur - 12-14-2016

(12-14-2016, 10:53 AM)But! As a fellow merchant RPer (on an alt), I'd strongly suggest to join the monthly Sea Breeze Bazaar (link). Wrote: When I'm there with my little Alchemist, I'm basically roleplaying non-stop for three hours straight. It also still starts at an reasonable ISH time (22:00 it starts till 1:00 but you can of course always leave earlier) for EU folk still. So there's plenty of roleplay to be had there, and contacts to be made!

That looks like a good bit of fun actually, thanks for the heads up. I should definitely have that evening off of work (Catering Life) to attend it. Reckon I'll be able to stay up late too for the full monty!