Hydaelyn Role-Players
Lifespan of a Moogle? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Lifespan of a Moogle? (/showthread.php?tid=17902)

Lifespan of a Moogle? - BK401 - 12-14-2016

Had this question for awhile but couldn't find an answer to it. What is the average life span of a Moogle? After playing through all the msq I'm under the belief that Moogles might be the longest lived race second only to dragons. At first I thought it might be a close tie between Padjals and Moogles but seeing as the concept of time seems to exist if we look at the elder seedseer I'm guessing the Moogles age much slower than the Padjals.

RE: Lifespan of a Moogle? - Mermaid - 12-14-2016

I'm afraid I can't answer your question directly but I can add a couple things.

First, Fernehalwes has stated that Kan-E-Senna is in her late twenties. He also stated that she only appears older than the other padjals because she uses magic to make herself appear older. She apparently does this so the rest of the Alliance will take her seriously. Unfortunately, I don't have the video/post this is from.

Secondly, and I'll try to make this as spoiler free as possible, there's an ancient dragon in the Moogle Beast Tribe quest line that was friends with a moogle and an elezen (I believe it was an elezen anyways). It certainly seems like this moogle is no longer around so we can probably assume he passed on while the dragon shows no signs of slowing down. This doesn't really tell us how long moogles live but dragons certainly have them beat by a long shot.

RE: Lifespan of a Moogle? - BK401 - 12-14-2016

(12-14-2016, 04:33 AM)Mermaid Wrote: I'm afraid I can't answer your question directly but I can add a couple things.

First, Fernehalwes has stated that Kan-E-Senna is in her late twenties. He also stated that she only appears older than the other padjals because she uses magic to make herself appear older. She apparently does this so the rest of the Alliance will take her seriously. Unfortunately, I don't have the video/post this is from.

Secondly, and I'll try to make this as spoiler free as possible, there's an ancient dragon in the Moogle Beast Tribe quest line that was friends with a moogle and an elezen (I believe it was an elezen anyways). It certainly seems like this moogle is no longer around so we can probably assume he passed on while the dragon shows no signs of slowing down. This doesn't really tell us how long moogles live but dragons certainly have them beat by a long shot.

Hmm that's interesting. I didn't know she used magic to appear physically older (I'd have thought things like this would have been revealed during msq... or has it?). Though is it really necessary? Playing through the WHM quest chain I could see that despite looking like a teenager most Padjals are well respected and the Gridanians seems unquestioningly loyal to the Padjal figures. In fact I don't rememeber a time when the padjals weren't taken seriously. 

While we're on the subject of looking young... Despite how young Nanamo appears her people don't seem to question her authority with the exception of a few greedy subjects. I still can't see how looking young would be a problem. Master A-Towa definitely didn't seemed to have had this problem either. 

When you mentioned Fernehalwes... you mean this guy? 

[Image: Fernehalwes.png]

I honestly don't remember if this dude says anything. 

As for Moogle lifespan in comparison to Dragons, I never doubted that Dragons are the longest lived race in Eorzea. Though I speculated that Moogles might be a runner up in being the 2nd longest lived race. As for your example, that's interesting to hear. I haven't done the beast tribe quests for Moogles so I'll look forward to that. Was it ever specified if that moogle passed away from old age? 

Unlike other races they don't seem to look any different despite ageing (eg.facial hair, noteable signs of old age). Even Moogle Kings seems to look relatively young albeit they are significantly larger than normal moogles. It's just a random speculation I had while questing through moghome, Moogles appeared to be rather lazy and very carefree about their surroundings as if they had all the time in the world to get things done at snails pace, or forget about it and come back to the problem next year. I got the impression that their behavior and mannerism was the result of living for a very long time/has a lot more years to live (compared to mortal races on Eorzea).

RE: Lifespan of a Moogle? - Skae - 12-14-2016

The padjals are indeed well respected among the Gridanians. People from other parts of the Eorzean Alliance will probably not have quite the same degree of respect for someone who looks like they are still in their teens.

Nanamo may look young, but then it is hard to tell the age of a Lalafell by looks alone.

Fernehalwes is one of the developers - in particular I think he is involved with localization into English - who often answers lore-related questions on the official forums.

Over to the original question: While I haven't played through everything in the game yet, I don't remember anything that would indicate how old moogles can get.

RE: Lifespan of a Moogle? - V'aleera - 12-14-2016

(12-14-2016, 06:38 AM)Skae Wrote: Fernehalwes is one of the developers - in particular I think he is involved with localization into English - who often answers lore-related questions on the official forums.

He's the head of the English localization team, and is essentially the "second-in-command" of lore development under Oda.

RE: Lifespan of a Moogle? - Valence - 12-14-2016

The first time the WoL brings along Sidurgu in the DRK questline to see the padjal and head of Stillglade Fane E-Sumi Yan, the dark knight looks for someone else to talk to even if E-Sumi Yan is facing him, then when he eventually notices it, he is very surprised probably not expecting to find a headmaster so young looking.

E-Sumi smiles and tells him about padjals, and how he is himself very old:

DRK Quest lvl54 Wrote:Sid: "Who's the boy?"
ES-Y: "Ah.. I am brother E-Sumi Yan, master of this guild. And though you will labor to beleive it, young man, I am several times your age."
Sid looks baffled.

RE: Lifespan of a Moogle? - Sounsyy - 12-14-2016

(12-14-2016, 04:11 AM)BK401 Wrote: Had this question for awhile but couldn't find an answer to it. What is the average life span of a Moogle?

This is actually still unknown. It's not brought up in 1.0, ARR, or the newer Moogle questline. I checked the lorebook, but when I went looking for an age I got told by Chief Moglin to mind my beeswax, kupo. (Unfortunately, I'm not kidding.) So we really have no idea. Though it's implied Moglin is quite old for a moogle.

Encyclopedia Eorzea Wrote:As a direct descendant of Chieftain Moggle, I've always been quite important, kupo. You could ask me how old I am, but honestly, I've lost count of my age over the years. I am, however, very good at counting kupo nuts, so keep your wandering paws away from my stash, kupo!

The others complain that I'm 'too busy' or 'too lazy' but they wouldn't know a good chieftain if he sat on them. Why, when I was just a wee mogling, I pulled off pranks so audacious, that they still talk about them to this day, kupo. I'm also incredibly strong and brave. Except when it comes to that Azure Dragoon fellow - that glare of his just gives me the creeps, kupo. What kind of a dumb name is 'Estinien,' anyway...?

To summarize, because moogles are so scarce and so rarely seen for any length of time (they like to turn invisible) that studying their biology and culture has been near impossible. What we do know is that they're omnivorous, but prefer kupo nuts. Their poms change color with emotion. And there are two known clans, stemming from one common ancestry, but are now differentiated by fur color and naming conventions.

Encyclopedia Eorzea Wrote:Despite the centuries of contact Gridanians have had with the Black Shroud moogles, extremely little is known about the enigmatic race's way of life. Moogles have an unrivaled talent for vanishing at a moment's notice, and thus outsiders have been largely unsuccessful in observing the clan's day-to-day existence. Moogle reproduction in particular is a subject of enduring mystery, with any direct inquiries into the matter being casually deflected or simply ignored.

(12-14-2016, 04:33 AM)Mermaid Wrote: First, Fernehalwes has stated that Kan-E-Senna is in her late twenties. He also stated that she only appears older than the other padjals because she uses magic to make herself appear older. She apparently does this so the rest of the Alliance will take her seriously. Unfortunately, I don't have the video/post this is from.

Here's the quote from Fernehalwes at the 2014 Fanfest:
Fanfest 2014 Wrote:Q: How old is Kan-E-Senna? Why is she the only adult lookingPadjal?

MCKF: Her age is- and I wrote this down - she is in her late twenties. But again, that's her spiritual age. As you know, the Padjal all physically stop growing at about 10-11 years old. That's why they all look like children. But they live full lives so you'll have people who look like children but are actually 40, 50, 60 years old. In the case of Kan-E-Senna - and up until the end of 1.0 it was E-Sumi-Yan that was the Elder Seedseer that was in control of Gridania, but when the Grand Companies came out, Kan-E-Senna, who was in the forest communing with the Elementals at that time, came back to take over the Grand Company.

The thing is in the other city-states you have Merlwyb, y'know kickass, and in Ul'dah you have Nanamo who is Seventeenth in her line, you got Raubahn who's like rrrrrrrrrrr! And so you have these really strong leaders in the other city-states and then here... Y'know people in Gridania understand that their Elder Seedseers are really powerful but for the rest of people they're like 'that's just a kid you can't take these people seriously' and so again, her making herself appear older is to present herself to the people of the other nations so they will take her seriously. She's basically making herself look older than she really is so people will take her seriously. Spiritually she's in her late twenties. Physically in her early teens.

One thing to note, Fernehalwes very vaguely says she "makes herself up" not that she uses magick. It's something that's been debated for some time but if you take a few looks at Kan-E, take away her fancy hairdo and her long robes that set her apart from the short skirts and childish haircuts of her siblings, Kan-E might not look that much older.

(12-14-2016, 05:35 AM)BK401 Wrote: Though is it really necessary? Playing through the WHM quest chain I could see that despite looking like a teenager most Padjals are well respected and the Gridanians seems unquestioningly loyal to the Padjal figures. In fact I don't rememeber a time when the padjals weren't taken seriously.

Like the quote above says, it's more about maintaining appearances to the other nations who have much older leaders. And, like Valence's mention of Sidurgu, people outside the Shroud are not familiar with the concept of elementals or the padjal- thinking them both the stuff of fairytales.

Wispily-whiskered Woodworker Wrote:In Gridania, there live a chosen few who are blessed by the forest. They are known as the Padjal. They are blessed with insight far beyond even the most gifted of mortals, and possess a knowledge more primeval and encompassing than we shall ever know. But such gifts bring with them great responsibility. The touch of the elementals causes horns to sprout from their heads. They are an ageless kind, fluent in the tongue of the forest. It is the stuff of faerie tales, no?
I'paghlo Wrote:Forest gods, spirits, elementals - whatever the hells they say it is. Bollocks! It's just you bloody Gridanians kidnapping folk! I'd wager the tip of my tail your lot are ambushing the coaches and making off with the goods. That's what I'd be doing, anyway - except I'd be cat enough to own up.
Miyaya Wrote:I've heard stories that the black Shroud is home to as yet unknown beasts and beings. Did you hear any such talk in your time there? Living in Eorzea's most prosperous nation, it's hard to imagine such remote and wild regions still exist. Tell me, did you find the natives…barbaric?

(12-14-2016, 05:35 AM)BK401 Wrote: While we're on the subject of looking young... Despite how young Nanamo appears her people don't seem to question her authority with the exception of a few greedy subjects. I still can't see how looking young would be a problem.

This is likely because unlike the Elder Seedseers in Gridania, the sultan(a) of Ul'dah no longer has any real political power in the shadow of the Syndicate. Nanamo isn't the youngest royal to ascend the throne in any case, so the people of Ul'dah are likely fine with a young figurehead. So long as the money keeps flowing through the Jewel, most merchants don't seem to care who sits on the throne.

(12-14-2016, 05:35 AM)BK401 Wrote: When you mentioned Fernehalwes... you mean this guy? 
[Image: Fernehalwes.png]

Michael Christopher Koji Fox, aka Fernehalwes, is the head of The Lore and Localisation Team and consults with Oda-san, the game's lore master to give us posts on the Official Forums. His avatar on the Forums is an Ahriman, which is the joke with the leve enemy.

RE: Lifespan of a Moogle? - Jana - 12-14-2016

During one of the rank-up Moogle beast tribe quests, the player has to recruit a dragon to help move heavy rocks. You end up with a tiny dragonling who says he can do the job when he grows bigger in 300 years (if I'm remembering correctly), at which point the main Moogle NPC says he'll be long dead and gone. From this we can assume that even if they live longer than the Spoken races, Moogles are far from being able to live as long as dragons if one cannot live long enough for a child to become a teen.

I'm at work so I can't look up the exact text, but hopefully that description is enough for anyone who did the quest to find it?

RE: Lifespan of a Moogle? - Sounsyy - 12-14-2016

(12-14-2016, 02:22 PM)Jana Wrote: I'm at work so I can't look up the exact text, but hopefully that description is enough for anyone who did the quest to find it?

I vaguely remember Ohl Deeh bringing that up a couple times... found it!

Ohl Deeh Wrote:Of...of course! Do not think me some weakling! I am a dragon, and the blood of the great wyrm Hraesvelgr courses through my veins! In just three centuries, even the most colossal stone will be as a pebble in my claws.
Tarresson Wrote:Did you hear that? We need only wait three centuries. Fortunately, I have no pressing engagements for the next three hundred years. What about you, Mogzin? Have you the time to spare?
Mogzin Wrote:N-No, certainly not, kupo! Oh, there must be another way...
Ohl Deeh Wrote:Hmph. My apologies. I sometimes forget how very fragile you moogles are. I suppose we will have to entreat my older brother for help, then.

And in a later quest:

Ohl Deeh Wrote:I simply need some time to gather my strength. One century should do the trick. Brother was around that age when he learned to roar. You cannot wait even one hundred years!? I pity you, truly. Well, I suppose we must ask Brother for his help again.

RE: Lifespan of a Moogle? - BK401 - 12-14-2016

Hmm thanks for all the contributions everyone. I think I have a general idea how old Moogle lifespan is around 50~80 years old at most. It's definitely a lot shorter than what I initially predicted which was 400~1000 years.