Hydaelyn Role-Players
Coming to join the fun, but I have a few questions first~ - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Coming to join the fun, but I have a few questions first~ (/showthread.php?tid=17993)

Coming to join the fun, but I have a few questions first~ - Eri - 12-24-2016

So my husband picked me up Final Fantasy XIV for Christmas and I have to say I've very excited to try it out. So while the game is downloading on my computer, I decided to poke around the local RP Community.

A little about me, I have been roleplaying for about 13+ years. Started out on Forums, then D&D/Pathfinder/Whitewolf (Been a DM for about 6 years now.), then moved to MMORPGS (I still run two Pathfinder games twice a month). I have been a RP guild leader in WoW, and an RP guild officer in GW2. Depending on how active the RP community is in the Realm I join will more or less decide if I open a chapter of my guild here or just join one of the local guilds. 

Ether way I can't wait to jump into the game and pick up on the lore. Huge Final Fantasy fan, so I'm excited to see what they done with the game. 

For a few questions:

One: If I'm looking for an active RP community what Realm do I want to join?
Two: How is the RP community here? 
Three: Any tips about the RP community here?

RE: Coming to join the fun, but I have a few questions first~ - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-24-2016

(12-24-2016, 02:55 PM)Eri Wrote: One: If I'm looking for an active RP community what Realm do I want to join?
Two: How is the RP community here? 
Three: Any tips about the RP community here?

1) The biggest and most active RP server in FFXIV is gonna be Balmung, which is on the Aether datacenter. It currently is so full that server transfers are the only surefire way to get in because the character creation window is NEVER open. (Maybe for just a sliver before/after emergency maintenance. Never count on that though.)

2) Very diverse and widespread. There aren't typically a lot of server-wide events (in the sense of server-wide canon), but there are a TON of open-world public events led by players, linkshells (chat groups) and Free Companies (guilds). Most people are pretty lore-abiding. I can't speak for everyone, but there's usually something for all.

3) The RPC is only a small fraction of parts of the general server population. We've also got some people from Gilgamesh, the next largest server that has RPers, and some people from other smaller pockets of RP on other servers too. The ones that I can remember are usually on Siren, Jenova and I think Faerie. Our Linkshell Hall and FC Hall forums show all the active groups that the RPC is aware of. For the most part, people are pretty chill. Some of the in-game jobs are a bit....scarce or locked away in lore. Due to that, certain jobs (like White Mage and Black mage to name some of the biggest ones) are not generally played by many of the player base. In my experience, few people really RP out a job/class/skill/etc unless there's a specific need for it. This could be different on other servers.

If you're just starting out and want to get some reading done while the game downlaods, I'd recommend these posts/threads by Sounsyy on the RPC.

Eorzean Lore Starter Kit
-Racial Lore Compilation
-Class/Job Lore Compilation
-Hydaelyn Geography Lore
-Settlements in Eorzea Pre-Calamity
-Eorzean City-states' Political Structures Lore
-Eorzean Units of Time and Measurement Lore

RE: Coming to join the fun, but I have a few questions first~ - Thunderbolt300 - 12-24-2016

I'm mostly going to echo Merc here, who has done a bang up job already in answering your questions. 

Balmung is the place to be, and it's worth the $18 transfer fee. Git 'er done! 

The RP community is pretty massive, fairly wide open, and you can expect a month or two of ramp-up time before you're standing on both feet. The key here is to network as much as possible, which leads into your next question.

Network, network, network- the more inclusive you are, the more outgoing, the farther you're going to fly. Networking with other players is much like chasing the horizon- you will have duds, you will have disappointments, but it is worth doing every. Single. Time. Create a Making Connections post here on the RPC. Look at linkshells. PM people who have characters that look compatible with yours. Do everything you possibly can to put yourself out there- those two months of ramp-up time will condense and will go a whole lot faster.

In any case, welcome to the RPC, welcome to FFXIV, and welcome aboard!! Thumbsup

RE: Coming to join the fun, but I have a few questions first~ - Eri - 12-24-2016

Thank both of you, I will make sure to start reading the threads that have been linked to me.

As for being active, no worries about that. The more flushed out I get my character and understand the game, the more I tend to put myself out there. As for networking, well, my guild mates in other games say that is my superpower. XD ((That person that always knows a person.))

As for linkshells, I will have to learn more about them. 

But thank you for the tips! And I will look into getting that Transfer.

RE: Coming to join the fun, but I have a few questions first~ - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-24-2016

(12-24-2016, 06:47 PM)Eri Wrote: Thank both of you, I will make sure to start reading the threads that have been linked to me.

As for being active, no worries about that. The more flushed out I get my character and understand the game, the more I tend to put myself out there. As for networking, well, my guild mates in other games say that is my superpower. XD ((That person that always knows a person.))

If you're on the free 30 days right now, I'd recommend testing the water on another server to get a feel for the game. You can't transfer a character until they're 3 days old (it will check if the character's been created for 72 hours, not necessarily played). Another tip on transfers is that you can use a single transfer fee for up to 8 characters (as long as your subscription allows it, which is all but one.) So if you like alts, or think you might want them later, I'd recommend making them or making some placeholders. A namechange is cheaper than a transfer and everyone gets at least fantasia potion to edit their appearance.

RE: Coming to join the fun, but I have a few questions first~ - Faye - 12-24-2016

Hello there, welcome to the RPC and Merry Christmas! Big Grin

RE: Coming to join the fun, but I have a few questions first~ - Ryslo Suramlo - 12-24-2016

(12-24-2016, 06:47 PM)Eri Wrote: Thank both of you, I will make sure to start reading the threads that have been linked to me.

As other have said so far with Balmung being as congested as it is server transfers are also being blocked at the moment of this post (I have a friend that has to wait, so in the meantime they are getting through the story, learning their class and just taking their time). This part can be a bit daunting but I recommend taking it all in slowly, learn about crafting, learn about combat, Getting your Mount, doing Dungeons and the works. Once transfers are allowed again and you thoroughly enjoying yourself I would then recommend Balmung. The Community here is most welcoming and they have been since the game relaunched (I have no prior experience of what it was like before hand). 

I wish you a warm welcome though and hope you the fairest of journey's. Enjoy the ride, and I'm certain this game will be with you for a long while.

RE: Coming to join the fun, but I have a few questions first~ - Thunderbolt300 - 12-24-2016

(12-24-2016, 10:19 PM)Ryslo Suramlo Wrote:

As other have said so far with Balmung being as congested as it is server transfers are also being blocked at the moment of this post (I have a friend that has to wait, so in the meantime they are getting through the story, learning their class and just taking their time). This part can be a bit daunting but I recommend taking it all in slowly, learn about crafting, learn about combat, Getting your Mount, doing Dungeons and the works. Once transfers are allowed again and you thoroughly enjoying yourself I would then recommend Balmung. The Community here is most welcoming and they have been since the game relaunched (I have no prior experience of what it was like before hand). 

I wish you a warm welcome though and hope you the fairest of journey's. Enjoy the ride, and I'm certain this game will be with you for a long while.

Can you verify this? Although it says transfers to Balmung aren't allowed, you can indeed initiate and complete them last I checked a few months back (for the $18). The SE site discription for transfers is erroneous.

RE: Coming to join the fun, but I have a few questions first~ - Ryslo Suramlo - 12-24-2016

(12-24-2016, 11:27 PM)Thunderbolt300 Wrote:

Can you verify this? Although it says transfers to Balmung aren't allowed, you can indeed initiate and complete them last I checked a few months back (for the $18). The SE site discription for transfers is erroneous.
Ya I had a friend try to transfer her character last evening to the Balmung Server (She was going to pay for a transfer, she did claim she couldn't select the Balmung server from the list) She said she couldn't so I advised her to put in a ticket. The Moderator responded with: "The Server is currently not accepting transfer's at this time". It may be a small gap of time, or until next patch that i'm uncertain. All I know is that yesterday she couldn't even select Balmung.

Balmung's currently selectable.

There have been short instances where even server transfers were blocked, but I think those are usually due to maintenance windows as opposed to actual capacity. (For now)

(12-24-2016, 11:31 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:

There have been short instances where even server transfers were blocked, but I think those are usually due to maintenance windows as opposed to actual capacity. (For now)
There ya go! I wasn't certain myself and wasn't going to say it was indefinitely closed. Thank you for the clarification. Silly Square Enix and their rather odd way of addressing an issue.

RE: Coming to join the fun, but I have a few questions first~ - Deahfel - 12-26-2016

(12-24-2016, 11:32 PM)Ryslo Suramlo Wrote:
(12-24-2016, 11:31 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:

There ya go! I wasn't certain myself and wasn't going to say it was indefinitely closed. Thank you for the clarification. Silly Square Enix and their rather odd way of addressing an issue.

Hello and welcome to the RPC! Always good to have another tabletop GM/player join us! Feel free to send me a tell sometime and we can discuss how you GM your in game events from WoW and GW2. I am always looking for new approaches or ways to handle in game events.

My transfer to Balmung was the same situation, it stated transfers were closed but there was no restrictions when I actually purchased the transfer.

RE: Coming to join the fun, but I have a few questions first~ - SicketySix - 12-27-2016

Yeah that "Closed to Transfers" have thrown a lot of people for a loop.

But regardless, welcome to the RPC!